Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258711 10/09/14 10:35 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Link

This is a video of sorts of different things in the Milky Way galaxy and their size in relation to the Earth.

Earth in True Perspective

This contains some of the same images, though not in video form. It also has images of distant galaxies that were captured by the Hubble Space Telescope.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That's really cool. I've always enjoyed astronomy.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Excellent vantage point as to were we are in the universe. laugh

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
It really brings home how utterly tiny and insignificant we humans are......

Yet at the same time, I can't help but smile because it's

"Fantastic!!!"

There is absolutely no way we are alone in the universe, and this only reinforces that belief for me and also my absolute certainty in Atheism.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I went to a "Star Party" as part of an astronomy class I took in college. The college, which was in a semi-rural area at the time, turned off all the lights on the football field, making it very dark, and local amateur astronomers brought their telescopes and set them up.

I was impressed by the fact that I could actually see all those moons around Jupiter, plus the rings of Saturn. There was still too much light pollution to really see a lot of the stars, and one of the astronomers told me that there wasn't much point in looking at Venus through the telescope, because it still looked like a star.

There's an observatory at Mt. Palomar, near San Diego. My dad took me there a couple of times when I was a teenager. It's only open during daylight hours, so we just saw photos.

A friend and I went to Griffith Park in L.A. once, and we wanted to see the observatory, but it was closed that day, so we went hiking instead. (We saw another kind of star on the trail.) Ordinarily, Griffith Observatory stays open until 10 PM, so you can actually use the public telescopes to see things (especially in the winter, when the sun sets early).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard