Print Thread
#258822 10/14/14 11:56 PM
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
In response to the Queen of the Capes' X Challenge. Enjoy! smile
Xerxes the Great

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Another Greek historian within our midst. smile

So, are you implying that Lex went after Lois only because he saw that *Clark* liked her, and not because of Superman? It's possible. It would explain their animosity for one another, and why Lex went after Lois even before Superman came onto the scene. First defeat Kent (by winning Lois), then go after Superman. Very perceptive.

I wonder what would have happened if Lex recognized Clark's ability to stand up to Lex in Superman this early on... at least by the end of this episode. Hmmm. The games have certainly begun.

Herodotus's History is one of my favorite ancient texts. It's like travel guide and historical novel all rolled up into one. May I also recommend Plutarch?

And here I had hoped you had picked Xerotic (which if you look up the definition isn't as sexy as it sounds).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice! I never would've made those connections; this was a great episode-expansion. smile The only thing that bothers me is that they finished their conversation in front of Lois, so wouldn't she wonder what they were talking about and maybe get suspicious of--well, it's S1 Lois; nevermind. :p *mutters about blind reporters*

~•~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Antartic history is more my thing, but this is fascinating! Thanks for the lesson in Greek history. Especially considering how important it is for Lex. Imagine having this young man - stranger really, throw that history in your face as a challenge.

“You surprise me, Mr. Kent. I’m not often surprised.” The tightness in his voice suggested that Lex Luthor did not enjoy surprises.

“I’ve studied history.” Clark ran a finger along the edge of the blade. “Learned how leaders have used power for destructive purposes.” He looked into Luthor’s cold eyes. “Some say Alexander called himself a demi-god, the son of Zeus.”

“He never lost a battle. Maybe he was ordained by the gods, chosen for a greater purpose. Better than mere mortals.”

This sets the stage for the conflict between billionaire and journalist, a conflict the older man will lose.

Thanks for filling in the scene! thumbsup

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed this story. The original scene in the pilot is such a 'moment' between Clark and Lex--sizing each other up, creating the tension that will only ever build between them. Expanding on this scene--great idea! smile

What stood out most to me, what really excited me about this story, was the challenging atmosphere. It was there originally in the Pilot, but you were able to build upon it wonderfully. You've created a hostile feeling in the piece, but done in a subtle way, so it comes off as brilliantly subdued (if that makes sense grin ). It's written politely condescending--they are totally trying to out do and outwit the other--and in such a scholarly way. This type of thing is so very much Lex at his best (and Lex KNOWS this), but with Clark? With Clark he's met his match clap.

Lex glanced at Lois, but then looked back at Clark. And Clark’s face betrayed him with a nervous glance at Lois, a look filled with unhidden unprofessional interest. Lex raised an eyebrow slightly when Clark looked back. He silently asked the question, because every battle should ultimately earn a prize. Clark’s eyes narrowed slightly with determination.

Awesome! dance hyper This paragraph has so much power to it. Lex immediately can see Clark's heart, as far as it concerns Lois. He (Lex) knows he has a way get at Clark, a way to hurt him.

Adversaries cemented.

Yeah--I love this last line smile! Great way to get the point across. They will be enemies till the end.

Excellent story!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/16/14 02:31 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
So, are you implying that Lex went after Lois only because he saw that *Clark* liked her, and not because of Superman? It's possible. It would explain their animosity for one another, and why Lex went after Lois even before Superman came onto the scene. First defeat Kent (by winning Lois), then go after Superman. Very perceptive.

Well, as soon as Clark cut in on Lex and Lois' dance, the animosity began. Sometimes you just don't like people when you meet them and I think long before Superman was tested, Clark sensed something he didn't like in Lex. It's instinctive - two alpha males locking horns.

Herodotus's History is one of my favorite ancient texts. It's like travel guide and historical novel all rolled up into one. May I also recommend Plutarch?

I read stuff from both Herodotus and Plutarch 20 years ago in college. It's been quite a while since I taught ancient Greece, but while I was staring off to space in my classroom, avoiding grading papers, the name Xerxes and the scene from the pilot popped into my head and I went with it. smile

And here I had hoped you had picked Xerotic (which if you look up the definition isn't as sexy as it sounds).

Well, I can freely admit that was the first word that caught my attention! (At least until I read the definition...not so sexy!) Fear not, this G-fic was merely a momentary distraction...I'm back at work on my latest piece of L&C x-rated erotica. devil LOL

Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
The only thing that bothers me is that they finished their conversation in front of Lois, so wouldn't she wonder what they were talking about and maybe get suspicious of--well, it's S1 Lois; nevermind.*mutters about blind reporters*

Next scene...Lois tells Clark to cut the macho crap. grin She wouldn't have said anything in front of Lex...in that scene, she knew Lex had caught her snooping and she was trying to cover and get out of there. But I can certainly imagine her ripping Clark a new one after they left the party. eek

Originally Posted by Morgana
Imagine having this young man - stranger really, throw that history in your face as a challenge.

Oh yeah, Clark hits him where it hurts the most...Lex' ego. laugh As Laura says, "politely condescending", brilliantly subdued, subtle hostility. You can't legally punch a guy, but you can take him down a peg intellectually and it sometimes delivers an equally effective blow.

Laura: I love how you always understand my voice! Thanks, again, for your beta review and your constant support.twins

Thanks to all of you for your feedback, and thanks to all the lurkers who are reading and (I'm going to assume for my own vanity's sake) enjoying it. grin You all encourage me to write more. wave

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Susan!

Rating: G...I know! A g-fic, from me! Can you believe it?
[Linked Image]

Title: Xerxes the Great
So, I believe Lex’s dog is called Xerxes. Is there a romantic subplot involved?

Summary: Clark and Lex square off over ancient history.
Clark accidently tripped over Xerxes?

A move not often made by anyone. A challenge.
So, Lex’s PoV?

“You surprise me, Mr. Kent. I’m not often surprised.” The tightness in his voice suggested that Lex Luthor did not enjoy surprises.
And yet, he goes after Lois.
LEX: Easily explained. She looks like she knows how to please a man. And once she doesn’t, no harm done to the waste compactor.

Clark shook his head. “No better than Xerxes. The Persians called him ‘the Great.’ But he suffered the same delusions of grandeur as Alexander. Herodotus wrote that Xerxes had an arrogant pride.”
He does realize that without arrogance and pride, neither man would have strived to build or expand their empire.

“Tallest building in Metropolis. I must confess a certain pleasure in knowing that everyone in the city has to look up in order to see me.”
Clearly, he’s compensating for some shortcoming there.

That was an in-depth expansion. Double fun considering there has just been an Alexander documentation on TV.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Title: Xerxes the Great
So, I believe Lex’s dog is called Xerxes.
Actually, Lex's dog is only called this in Wrong Clark, Michael. Just because my story will seem to have taken longer to write / post than the show it's based on to air, doesn't make it canon. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Actually, Lex's dog is only called this in Wrong Clark, Michael.
Ooops?

Just because my story will seem to have taken longer to write / post than the show it's based on to air, doesn't make it canon.
/kicks dirt/ But at least Home still is, right?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard