When Virginia proposed the challenge of taking a first season story and having it result in Lois and Clark being married I took up the challenge and "The Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style" was the result.

That was all well and good, but then I started thinking - What about future episodes? How would the fact that they are now married affect the dynamic? For instance, how would "Pheromone My Lovely" be changed by the marriage? How would it affect "Honeymoon in Metropolis", "All Shook Up" and now "Witness"?

So, to answer the question - ‘What if Lois and Clark were already married when Witness happened?' I offer the following.

Witness - Matchmaker Style

This is a sequel to All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

In this, the sequel to ASU - Matchmaker Style. Lois and Clark have been back from the assignment in Smallville for a few weeks. The events of PML were delightful, however, Lois really has no recollection of what happened.

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

In this particular story a lot of the dialogue is taken from the script text. I wish to express my thanks to my Beta readers Artemis and Ray Reynolds for their invaluable help. This was a VERY rough draft when it first landed in their hands.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

What is past is Prologue - From All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style
And Chapter 1
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha -34 x Gamma 255 x Tau -225
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The next morning, Lois was at the Planet bright and early thanks to Martha preparing breakfast again. Clark had to respond to an emergency so she had gone in by herself. He would be with her shortly.

Looking out the windows from the newsroom, the staff marveled at the crowd in the streets. It rivaled the crowd seen in Times Square in New York City on New Year's Eve. There were line dances forming and all kinds of noise makers in use.

In the newsroom itself a party atmosphere prevailed. The sound of champagne corks popping happened a few times and glasses were filled.

Jimmy, with the lack of expertise of a novice popped the cork only to have part of the contents bubble out in a foamy geyser drenching his hands and the floor. He managed to get some into a glass and holding it up in salute said to his boss and mentor, "Perry, these last two days were the best days of my life. Even if it was almost the end of the world."

Perry clapped the younger man on the shoulder and said, "You did a good job Jimmy. You hustled, you didn't give up, you got the story. I'm proud of you, son."

Jimmy was suddenly very subdued, "That means a lot, coming from you. I just wish I could write better."

By way of encouragement, Perry said, "Nothing wrong with being a photo-journalist with a nose for news. You keep at it, son. You never know what'll happen."

Suddenly a roar went up from the crowd down in the streets that drowned out the conversations in the newsroom. Jimmy grabbed his camera and threw open the window so that he could get some pictures. He saw that everyone was looking up and some were pointing at the sky. Following their track he saw Superman so he brought up his camera and started snapping picture after picture and was very pleased when Superman made a close approach and waved to him.

As soon as Jimmy had snapped a couple more pics, Superman put on a burst of speed and disappeared from view.

Looking around in anticipation, Lois watched the door to the stairwell. She wasn't disappointed when literally, only seconds later, her husband stepped through straightening his tie. She smiled at him as he approached. When he was close she reached out to finish straightening his tie and said, "That was a nice thing to do. I'm sure it encouraged Jimmy. Perry was just talking to him about the importance of being a photojournalist."

Clark reached up, tapped his ear, said, "I know," and smiled a smile which she returned.

She mumbled, "Softie."

He and Lois moved over to the window and looked down at the crowd. It was celebratory and not riotous being rather peaceful. Loud enough so that those nearby could hear, Clark asked, "Did I miss something?"

Lois replied, "Your buddy Superman just made a flyby, that's all."

Perry was exuberant and as he approached Lois and Clark he said, "A real day to remember," then he caught himself, suddenly remembering Clark's amnesia, "If you'll pardon the expression."

Lois smiled and gave Clark a hug. Without breaking it she said, over her shoulder, "Not to worry, Chief. He's all better now, aren't you honey?"

Perry was all smiles as both he and Jimmy approached to shake Clark's hand.

Lois added, "I just knew that a bump on the head wouldn't keep him down."

Cat came over and it looked to Lois as if she was going to try to kiss Clark, but to Lois's surprise that's not what happened. Cat walked up and put out her hand, saying, "Welcome back, Clark. I'm glad you got your memory back. I have to say, even without your memory; you're still the nicest guy I think I've ever met. I'm just sorry you chose Lois and not me."

Noting the tear at the corner of her eye, Clark said, "Cheer up, Cat. I'm sure that the right guy for you is out there, somewhere. You just need to slow down and let him find you."

Cat smiled and said, "Thanks, Clark. I'll give it a try," turned and walked away.

Lois pulled Clark aside and asked, “Honestly, truthfully, when did your memory come back?”

“I was starting to get little flashes, but when we went to bed a lot of Clark returned. I never really forgot you. It was me that was lost.” Looking around to make sure no one was listening, he added, “When you were telling me how Superman had saved you so many times, that’s when he came back. I also remembered how I dealt with the asteroid. I used that karate technique you taught me. You know, I think I should learn more about karate.”

Lois said, in a quiet tone, “I think so too. You can join me at the dojo. It’ll be nice. We can practice together. Now that your memory is back, I think it’s time we talked about Luthor. You are not going to believe this story.”

“I think that later tonight will be soon enough. As Perry would say, ‘We have a paper to get out.’”

Lois smiled and swatted his arm before she said, "How right you are. We have to write up the ‘Superman Saves the World' story, but that's yesterday's news." Looking around to make sure she wouldn't be heard and dropping her tone to a conspiratorial level, she said, "I think, though, that our next big story is going to be, Lex Luthor."

Clark quirked an eyebrow and wondered what Luthor had done to put that particular bee in her bonnet. Whatever it was, he was happy he had done it. Only time would tell where this would lead.

Perry came back over to them and said, "Say, listen, you two. Clark, you've been through a lot the last few days and Lois you've had your hands full for the same reason. Why don't the two of you take the afternoon off. I'll see you tomorrow."

Lois turned to Perry and said, "Just as soon as we type up our story. You do want it, don't you?"

"What story?"

"Our ‘Superman Saves the World' story. He stopped by and gave us an interview when he came back, before we came in to work. He told us just how he did it."

Perry was beaming and said, "Get that to me before the afternoon edition deadline and you can take the rest of today and tomorrow as well."

Lois brightened up and said, "That works perfectly. Thanks, Chief. Come on, Clark, let's get this written up and submitted. Then we can get out of here before he changes his mind." Grabbing Clark's arm she practically dragged him back toward their desks.

Together they worked on the story like a well oiled machine. They had it done in record time and sent it off. As soon as Lois hit the send key she started shutting down her machine and then taking Clark's arm the two strolled to the elevator. Perry couldn't help but notice the little bump that Lois gave Clark with her hip as they approached the elevator and the flirty way she talked to him.

Perry stood there in openmouthed wonder. Who was this person inhabiting Lois Lane's body. She wasn't quite a total stranger. She had her ‘Mad Dog Lane' moments, but previously they had needed to practically blast to get her to leave work for any reason whatever. However, since she had married Clark that was no longer the case. He smiled as they entered the elevator and thought, <That boy is a miracle worker. He's turned that hard chargin' reporter into a woman … a woman in love with her husband and he has done it without blunting her edge. That's a change for the better. I wonder how it will be when they finally have children.>

As they were on the way home, Clark was thinking about his parents and their current accommodations and decided that a discussion was in order. He also thought that it would be nice to take everyone out for a fun activity to divert everyone's minds from the recent events. As Lois drove he got an idea and asked, "Lois, how long has it been since you played golf?"

Lois looked askance at him. This was in no way the kind of question she had expected from him especially after what they had been discussing just before Perry had sent them home. Taking it at face value she simply said, "Oh, I don't know, a while. Why?"

"I was just thinking that it might be fun if the four of us went to the driving range or a chip-n-putt as an outing. You know something fun and totally different from recent events."

Lois started to smile as she thought about it and said, "Yeah, I kinda like that idea. It could be fun. Let's do it."

Clark smiled at her agreement and nodded his head.

Martha jumped at the chance for an outing, but Jonathan demurred complaining that he was ‘a farmer, not a golfer.' Martha finally convinced him to join them and they all headed out.

Rather than a chip-n-putt they wound up on the driving range. They were lined up as couples with Clark on one end and Jonathan on the other. Clark liked being behind Lois so that he could watch her ‘form', something he never tired of. Even playing golf, Lois displayed grace and poise. As he watched her swing the smooth action impressed him. When she finished her swing she remained poised with the club over her left shoulder watching her ball fly. He had his eyes on her and as a result almost missed the flight of the ball as it sailed down the range and landed near the one hundred-fifty yard marker.

Finally tearing his eyes off of his wife's form he looked down range and saw the ball as it landed. He complimented her, "Nice one!"

Smiling, Lois said, "Thank you. This is fun. Thank you for thinking of doing this."

"You're welcome." He placed a ball on the rubber tee and addressed the ball. His swing was awkward. He was hunched and trying to ‘power' the ball rather than allowing the club to do the work. The ball barely made it to the fifty yard marker and that was on the second bounce.

Lois had stopped to watch and quipped, "Not your game, huh?"

Clark just shook his head.

Lois stepped over to him and gave him a quick kiss before saying, "That just makes this that much more special. You were thinking about me and not yourself," picking up her bucket she said, "I'm going to go get another bucket of balls. Be right back," she walked off.

As she walked away, Clark appreciated the sway of her hips, but then he was distracted by his parents. His mother had donned a pink jogging suit for the outing and Jonathan was in his usual jeans and flannel shirt. His mother had a wide grin on her lips as she sent a ball straight down the range. As they watched it landed and bounced to a stop between the one hundred and one hundred-fifty yard marker.

Clark said, "Way to go, Mom. That was a good one."

Martha replied, "I never knew that golf could be so much fun."

Jonathan was holding his club like a rake or a hoe and swinging it like an axe. His balls were barely making it off the artificial turf that they were standing on. Lois was returning with her fresh bucket of balls and stopped next to Jonathan. She set the bucket down and started giving him pointers. First she corrected his grip and then his stance. Then she had him pull into his swing. As he did, she said, "Okay, keep your left arm straight. Let it pull the club through the stroke. As you hit the ball you start to push with your right arm."

Lois placed a ball on the tee for him and said, "Give it a try."

Trying to put Lois's pointers into effect, Jonathan took a swing. He impacted the ball cleanly and it sailed down range for one hundred yards.

Jonathan was standing there goggling at the result and Lois gave him a hug. "There, you see, you can do it."

Jonathan came out of his stupor and returned his daughter-in-law's hug, "Thanks to you."

Lois gave him a kiss on the cheek and quipped, "What are daughters for?"

Lois moved over to Clark placed a ball on his tee and said, "Same thing applies to you. Elbow straight, pull the club through the stroke and this time don't chop at it. Follow through."

Before starting his swing, Clark looked around surreptitiously and saw that no one was watching. He decided to play with her and used a smidgeon of superstrength. He followed her style tips and when he followed through he was looking downrange and so was Lois. Her mouth dropped open and then she started to giggle as the ball kept gaining altitude as it soared toward outer space.

Under her breath she said, "Show off. No more tips for you."

On the way back from the driving range they stopped for a light lunch before heading back to the apartment. They didn’t want to spoil their appetites for dinner.

When they walked in the aroma of roasting turkey greeted their nostrils. With all that had been happening, they had missed Thanksgiving dinner in Smallville. That morning, before they had gone on their outing, Martha had put a turkey in the oven to slow cook while they were out.

Once they were inside, the first words out of Lois’s mouth were, “Oh, that heavenly aroma. It smells good enough to eat!”

Martha chuckled and said, “It will be a while yet.”

Lois replied, “I can hardly wait.” Lois put her clubs away and plopped down on the sofa next to Clark. Martha went into the kitchen to check on dinner. It would be some time yet until the side dishes would need to be put on. Sitting down in an easy chair, Jonathan picked up a copy of the Farmer's Almanac that he had brought with him from Kansas.

Once Martha finished in the kitchen she came in and sat on the arm of the chair that Jonathan was sitting in. "Thanks for the outing. We really enjoyed it."

Smiling, Jonathan agreed, "Yes, it was fun."

Lois said, "Thank Clark. It was his idea."

Jonathan said, "Actually, it was fun. Thanks to Lois's pointers." He was thoughtful for a few seconds and then he said, "Now that the emergency is over, we need to start thinking about heading home."

Lois and Clark tied as they both started to say, "So soon?" and "Not yet."

They both stopped and looked at each other and then the senior Kents. Clark said, "I think we need to discuss this."

Martha had been chuckling. She knew that Clark and Lois both loved them and the feeling was mutual. They had only known Lois for a short time, but she was already an integral member of this small family, but this apartment was too small for four people for very long and that problem needed to be addressed. "Clark, honey, we know you would like us to stay, but the truth is … your apartment is too small for four people. We need to get out of here so that you two won't feel … inhibited … by our presence."

Lois launched into what she had been wanting to say all morning, "That's just what we need to discuss. Clark, something happened while you were away the other day. I think you'll be interested in what I have to tell you."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/14/14 12:39 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj