Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Just an ultra-short that came to me this morning.

Considering that I don't usually like next-gen stories, I seem to write my share of them. huh

My own suspicion is that if Lois is angry with her daughter, it wouldn't be because she was a few minutes late, it would be because she was flying in public when she clearly wasn't ready yet. (Not only couldn't she navigate, she flew in a *gown*. shock )

Frankly, the narrator strikes me as being a bit flighty. peep

What do you all think?

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a howl! grin

Sorry honey, Uncle Bernie won't be able to get you out of this one!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes!!! I really liked this one a lot, Lynn smile...I thought the perspective was done really well and could just picture Lois and Clark's daughter rushing around.

There was a ton of personality in the wording also--I really loved the use of 'hafta'...that added SO much, hard to explain exactly why I enjoyed it as much as I did smile. Also, calling a Kerth a 'glass rock'--perfect! I can see a younger person totally going there with that word choice for a description wink.

Love the Lynn Stories smile
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/14/14 11:49 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Adorable! clap
So she must be a teenager, right?

~•~
Kerth
Kerth
Lol...very cute! I have a vision of a kid looking up into the sky, totally confused, as a girl in a ball gown is hovering above him, staring at a map. smile Someone is SO grounded when Lois finds out!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Lol...very cute! I have a vision of a kid looking up into the sky, totally confused, as a girl in a ball gown is hovering above him, staring at a map. smile Someone is SO grounded when Lois finds out!
I completely agree. I believe someone was supposed to arrive via cab, not flight.

I can't see Clark getting out this without a lecture from his wife about setting ground rules either. Then Clark responding how he couldn't expect that his daughter would do that because that wouldn't have been something HE would have attempted. To which Lois would answer that he should have known better "Because *she's* MY daughter, too!"

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Morgana, you are right. When Lois finds out about this flight, the narrator will undoubtedly be grounded (both figuratively and literally) for a veeeery long time.

Laura, you always leave the best, most encouraging feedback. Thank you. smile I must admit that I share the narrator's view of the design of the Kerth award. It may be prestigious, but it isn't a whole lot to look at.

Queenie, right in one. Old enough to be allowed to navigate through the city on her own, old enough to be able to fly (although probably not old enough to be *allowed* to fly in public), but young enough to still be answerable to Mom and Dad, and in-between enough to cop a bit of an attitude with her father. I envision her as being 17 or 18.

Groobie, I hadn't pictured the person looking up as being a kid, necessarily, but I had amused myself with images of a gown-wearing teenager hovering (possibly sitting cross-legged) in the air, and staring at an unfolded map with a puzzled and somewhat frustrated look on her face. I'm tickled by the absurdity of the image, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to write the story. Thanks for pointing it out.

And thank you all for leaving feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia. Our posts seem to have crossed.

that wouldn't have been something HE would have attempted.
Well, I would hope that he wouldn't attempt to fly across the city in an evening gown. wink

To which Lois would answer that he should have known better "Because *she's* MY daughter, too!"
A very good point, even if Lois is thereby implicitly taking on some of the blame. (Clark, of course, would be too polite to point that out to her.)

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Well, I would hope that he wouldn't attempt to fly across the city in an evening gown. wink
Well, only that one time he lost that bet with Batman.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
lol And if he had won the bet, what would Batman have to have done?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
lol And if he had won the bet, what would Batman have to have done?
BATMAN: I don't take bets I could lose. I'm Batman.

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
BATMAN: I don't take bets I could lose. I'm Batman.

Hmmm... I deduce that you've been watching the "How It Should Have Ended" videos. (I can just see and hear him saying that.)

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by VirginiaR

Someone write this now! grovel

~•~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!
The Shortest Distance
…between Lois and Superman is Clark?
LOIS: [Linked Image]

Mom's gonna kill me.
Teenage Clark?

I promised her I'd meet her and Dad at the Kerth ceremonies on time.
Oh, teenage offspring of super-powered reporter and super reporter.

I left the library five minutes before the ceremony,
College? So, not a teenager.

thinking that would give me plenty of time to fly home,
Well, might be 19…

change into my fancy gown,
Oh boy. LnC got Trouble at home.

The trouble came when I flew into the air and realized I have no idea how to get to the hotel.
Huh?

Oh, I know its street address, but things look so different from up here.
Hmm…2005-2007 is just before google maps came en vogue, isn’t it?

I thought I could just fly in a straight line to the hotel, but I realize now I'm going to have to go home, get a map (just to be safe) and fly over the roads.
rotflol Never heard about a compass, has she?

The next time I see Uncle Bernie, I think I'll ask him if he can make a GPS device that will point me straight to a specified location.
clap
VOICE of Master Luwin: One half of a league east as the raven flies.

How *does* Dad navigate so well, anyway?
Easy. Usually, he has to rescue Lois, so her heartbeat will be like a homing beacon. The other times, being a boyscout helps.
CLARK: Also, moss always grows on the northern side of the antenna on the sky scrapers.

I hate to admit it, but perhaps I should pay more attention in our next flight lesson.
rotflol

But in the meantime, I just hafta hope that Mom won't be too mad that I'm a few minutes late.
So long as she doesn’t mention that it’s not like this year’s any different from last year, what with Lois being the runner up and Clark taking home the Kerth peep

The investigative journalism category isn't until near the end of the ceremony,
Don’t they usually put the more prestigious categories at the end?
LOIS: mad

so at least I'll be there for when she wins yet another glass rock.
rotflol Maybe the little one shouldn’t mention that term out loud.

All the same, I'm glad she doesn't have any Kryptonite handy.
clap But she might ground her. On the plus side, Kryptonite would at least allow the little one the typical college experience of getting drunk and consuming moderate amounts of mind-altering substances?
LITTLE ONE: Like Red Kryptonite? [Linked Image]

That was fun. Umm…sorry for making the FDK longer than the story?

wave Michael

Edit: As for the gown-sitting: This might also be unfortunate in terms of potential for exposure. There once was a bit of an outcry when some architect thought it clever, to make a stairwell out of glass. Hilarious!

And Clark probably never had to face that problem. All he had to remember was fly left at the water tower until he sees cows, then fly right again. If he sees more cows, he flew too far.

Also...Say, Lynn, is there any chance for sequels in this universe?

Last edited by Darth Michael; 11/09/14 03:53 PM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your note. I envision the narrator to still be in high school. Who says that high school students don't use the library for their studies? Admittedly, with the rise of the Internet, it is becoming much rarer now even for college students to do so, but I can't see any child of Lane and Kent not using all of the research materials at her disposal.
Never heard about a compass, has she?
A compass would only help if she knew which direction she needed to go. Now, if she were trying to find the comic book Clark's Fortress of Solitude, a compass would at least get her in the general vicinity.

VOICE of Master Luwin: One half of a league east as the raven flies.
huh (Quick online search...) Ah. I haven't gotten into Thrones. That series is on my "give a try" list for when I retire and finally have time to sit down for more than ten minutes at a stretch.

CLARK: Also, moss always grows on the northern side of the antenna on the sky scrapers.
rotflol I'd love to have sat in on one of his boy scout meetings. (Of course, if Lois had done so, it would have made Tank happy, since she would have needed to get a haircut as part of her disguise to blend in. At least, she would have had to in one of his story. We'll just ignore the opening scene of the pilot for now.)

So long as she doesn’t mention that it’s not like this year’s any different from last year, what with Lois being the runner up and Clark taking home the Kerth
If she survived this long, she must have some sense of self-preservation, even if she lacks some other senses (common sense, horse sense, not to mention a sense of direction).

Don’t they usually put the more prestigious categories at the end?
Yup. But I imagine they have some sort of closing ceremony afterward. (The "I imagine" in that last sentence gives you an idea of how often I watch any sort of awards ceremony.)

Maybe the little one shouldn’t mention that term out loud.
See earlier comment re: self-preservation. wink

LITTLE ONE: Like Red Kryptonite?
You do come up with the most humorous and appropriate graemlins/emoji/whatchamacallems.

Umm…sorry for making the FDK longer than the story?
No apologies are ever necessary for feedback. The more, the better. smile

As for the gown-sitting: This might also be unfortunate in terms of potential for exposure.
Yup. That thought had crossed my mind, as well, but since I don't write nfic, I thought I'd omit that little detail.

And Clark probably never had to face that problem.
I should hope not, although see Virginia's earlier comments.

Say, Lynn, is there any chance for sequels in this universe?
I'm honoured that you asked. If my muse agrees, I'm always amenable to writing sequels. Unfortunately, she is rarely into them. I've a feeling that the narrator of this story will probably bribe my muse not to have a sequel, since any such story would likely deal with the consequences of her flighty actions. If she avoids a sequel, she can dodge the grounding that it would contain.

Thanks again for leaving such detailed (and, as always, humorous) feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Say, Lynn, is there any chance for sequels in this universe?
I'm honoured that you asked. If my muse agrees, I'm always amenable to writing sequels. Unfortunately, she is rarely into them. I've a feeling that the narrator of this story will probably bribe my muse not to have a sequel, since any such story would likely deal with the consequences of her flighty actions. If she avoids a sequel, she can dodge the grounding that it would contain.
Not necessarily, Lynn. You could always skip the consequences (or just mention them in passing) and just show us another super mis-hap adventure from the POV from this character. That could actually lead to a fun series of one-shots. /nudge, nudge/

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, Virginia's idea is great!
That could actually lead to a fun series of one-shots. /nudge, nudge/
/nudge, nudge/ Oh dear, did I just nudge Prometheus out of orbit?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard