All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

She looked at him and asked, “Do you think I do this all for show?”

Jimmy was somewhat skeptical, “Others have. Carney shows, Gypsy fortune tellers …”

With some asperity she replied, “This is no side show act. I can give you testimonials of how my readings have come true.”

Jimmy relented in his cross-examination and pulled out the piece of Superman’s uniform that he had found. Before handing it to her he said, “We think this was Superman's. We've had it analyzed. It's emitting very weak cosmic rays. That means it's been in space, which supports our contention that he made it back. We’re trying to find out where he is because we need him to divert that fragment of the asteroid that’s still out there. Do you think you can find him?”

“I don’t know, honey, but I can sure try.”

Jimmy finally handed her the fragment and she rubbed it thoughtfully between her fingers for several seconds. She was concentrating on what vibes she was receiving and finally spoke, “I am feeling Superman's presence strongly.”

Jimmy challenged, “Then he is alive?”

Mystiques reply wasn’t reassuring, “I don't know. I feel his confusion. Often, the recently dead are quite rattled by the experience.”

Jimmy said, “We’ve had independent confirmation that he is alive.”

“Okay, so he’s alive, but very confused.”

Clark had been warned by Lois and his parents to be careful not to reveal the secret, so he asked, “We need to find Superman. Do you have any idea where we might start looking?”

After Clark asked his question, Mystique settled back in her chair. Jimmy was skeptical because it all looked so theatrical. She had her eyes closed like she was going into a trance. Jimmy exchanged a look with Clark that said, “I’m afraid this was a waste of time.”

Suddenly, Mystique jumped out of her chair and started to pace around in a very agitated state. She almost shouted, “He’s here!”

Jimmy looked around, but all he could see was Mystique and Clark aside from himself. In an attempt to humor her he said, “We know he's here. That's why we're here, but we know he isn’t here … here. Just somewhere near here, but where, that’s the question.”

There was awe in Mystique’s voice as she was speaking, “His life force is incredibly powerful.”

Clark moved over next to Jimmy so that he could whisper, “I think she's confused.”

Mystique overheard Clark and was exasperated by their apparent unbelief, “No! I'm feeling this very strongly. My senses tell me that he is definitely alive. I feel the vibration of life in his images. Have one of you just talked to him?”

Jimmy was almost laughing as he said, “I think you might be tuned into the wrong channel.”

Mystique was feeling insulted as she retorted, “I know what I'm feeling. This is unmistakable.”

Jimmy was having serious doubts about what happened and exchanged a look with Clark.

Jimmy recovered the fragment of Superman’s uniform from Mystique.

She said, “Look, I can see that you don’t believe me, but I’m telling you, I could feel him, very close. His vibe was so strong … it was like we were in the same room. Are you sure one of you isn’t …”

The look Jimmy gave her was one of total disbelief. She looked around as if Superman could be hiding behind the drapes in some part of the room as she said, “No, I guess not. Anyhow, it was strong, so strong it was overpowering. He’s around.”

Jimmy said, “Thanks anyhow,” and he and Clark saw themselves out.

After they returned to the Planet the feeling of gloom and doom was becoming more and more prevalent. It was even affecting Cat. She was even willing to take solace in Lois’s company.

As Jimmy and Clark approached Clark’s desk Lois spotted them and moved to her own desk to pick up her things so that she and Clark could leave. She was feeling the pressure to have Clark get his memory back. With each passing minute it was becoming that much more important.

As Lois moved to her desk, Cat approached Clark. She was carrying a small duffle bag which she dropped on his visitor’s chair. She started going through it, enumerating the contents as she did, “Batteries, flashlight, food, water,” she held up a bottle of champagne, “survival supplies. Do you want to ride this out at my place or yours?”

“Cat, I don’t think it would be appropriate for us to barge in on you. I mean, my folks are here so there would be four of us and our place is crowded with the four of us as it is. If it didn’t mean a sleepover, we might be able to have you over, for a while.” He smiled to take out the sting as he said, “Besides, you and Lois don’t really get along that well.”

When Cat replied the depth of her fear and her vulnerability shone through, “I … I just don’t want to be … alone. When this thing … I just don’t want to be alone. We’ve always been friends even if Lois and I haven’t always seen eye-to-eye.”

“I don’t know if it would work out. Let’s wait and see what happens between now and then, okay?”

Cat packed up her supplies and walked forlornly back toward her desk.

As Cat walked away, Lois came over to Clark and asked, “What was that all about?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I feel sorry for Cat. With all of the names she has in that rolodex of hers she says she doesn’t have anyone that she really considers a friend to be with when, if, that thing hits. She was asking if we could get together.”

“Wow, she must really be desperate.” Lois looked with pity in Cat’s direction and then whispered, “Let’s do what we can to see to it that she doesn’t have to go through that,” then she raised her voice, “Come on, Clark, Let’s get out of here.”

And now:

Chapter 9

As Lois and Clark were leaving, Jimmy was approaching Perry’s office to give him a report on his and Clark’s trip to the psychic. Stepping into the office he saw Perry with a collection of baseball cards spread out on his desk. On one corner there was a container of French fries, and a chocolate malt. In his hands was a triple cheeseburger of which he had just taken a large bite and was chewing. Behind him was a small TV. It was muted and showing scenes of riots. Across the bottom of the screen the Chiron showed the countdown clock provided by EPRAD. When Jimmy glanced at it he saw 18:34:47.

Jimmy approached the desk and said, “We struck out, Chief. Sorry.”

“Me, too,” he indicated the corner of his desk and asked, “fries?”

Jimmy was shocked and blurted out without thinking, “Do they let people with high blood pressure eat that stuff?”

Jimmy’s unthinking question earned him a glare from Perry.

Seeing that he realized what was up and said, “Yeah. Right. Who cares?” The realization was sinking in and Jimmy was getting scared. “I mean, it's going to take a miracle to get us out of this one.

Perry put down his burger and wiped his hands on a paper napkin. Looking down he surveyed the cards spread out there. He picked up one and started reciting from memory the stats as an object lesson for Jimmy, “Ted Williams. Batted four-oh-six in the 1941 season. Miracles do happen.”

Hesitantly, Jimmy asked, “So, uh, you want me to write up my notes?”

Perry shocked him when he replied, “Heck, son, you might as well just write up the story.”

He spluttered out, “The story? The 'Superman is alive and we have proof' story?”

Nonchalantly, Perry replied, “Why not? It’s yours.”

Jimmy’s self doubts started to get the better of him as he asked, “Oh, wow, Perry. I don't know if I'm ready.”

Perry tried to be an encourager as he said, “I don't know if you are either. Seems like a good time to find out.”

Determined to justify Perry’s faith in him, Jimmy said, “I won't let you down.”

Seemingly unconcerned, Perry said, “Just do your best.”

As Jimmy started to turn to leave the office, Perry stopped him, “Hey, hey, hey.”

Jimmy had been about to pass out through the door when he turned back to Perry. When he did he saw that Perry was reaching into a drawer in his credenza. As he watched, Perry produced a typewriter, a relic of an earlier age. He lifted it carefully, almost reverently and gently placed it on the corner of his desk. Without looking up from his treasure, he said, “You might want to use this.”

Surprised, Jimmy asked, “What is it? I mean I know it's a typewriter ...”

Speaking with what bordered on reverence, Perry answered, “Not just any typewriter. Clete Johnson gave it to me after carrying it all over the world writing for this paper. I was a copy boy. Wrote my first story on it.”

Jimmy was now in awe of this piece of history sitting on the desk before him. Feeling inadequate, he mumbled, “I can’t …”

Perry interrupted him and reassured him, “Sure you can. It's good luck. And we could use a spell of that right about now.”

With the care and reverence due to an art treasure, Jimmy picked up the offered typewriter. He wanted to say something, but he was too choked up with emotion to speak. Finally he said, “For good luck.”

Perry watched as Jimmy walked out of his office carrying the typewriter as if it were a crate of eggs.

Lois and Clark had returned to the apartment and joined Clark’s parents. They were all brainstorming for ways to help Clark recover his memory.

Clark said, in an offhand way, “I know you all say that I’m this ‘Superman’, but I still don’t see how that’s possible. I mean, he can’t be hurt, right? And here I am with no memory. That implies that I was hurt somehow, doesn’t it?”

Clark and Lois were standing together, facing Martha when he said this. Jonathan was behind them and said, “It sure looks like he needs convincing.” What Lois and Clark had not seen was that Jonathan had picked up a baseball bat. Martha had seen it and she nodded in understanding. Jonathan said, “This is gonna hurt me, more than it does you.”

Clark started to turn around to give Jonathan his attention and as he did, Jonathan swung the bat with all of his strength, hitting Clark in the stomach. The bat flew into pieces like when a batter swings at a fast ball and hits it wrong, winding up with a broken bat single instead of a home run.

Clark’s eyes widened in astonishment. He looked down at where he had been hit and the stub of the bat in Jonathan’s hands realizing that he had felt no pain as a result. The evidence of his senses was incontrovertible and undeniable. He was in fact Superman.

Lois went to the secret compartment and pulled out a Superman Suit. She held it up and said, “This is your uniform.” She indicated the compartment and the row of costumes. She nodded to Martha, “You have to thank your mom for these. She is the one that sewed them for you.”

“But that means that I’m not even from this planet. How can you be my parents?”

Martha spoke up, “Clark, honey, we adopted you after we found you in your spaceship. We never told anyone. As far as anyone knows you were the child of a relative of ours that couldn’t keep you. We even managed to get the local doctor to give you a birth certificate. Then we got some friends in city hall to make up the adoption record. You were only about 4 months old when we found you. You’ve been our son ever since and no one has questioned it.”

“But if I’m Superman … how do I do all those things? I can’t remember doing them.”

Suddenly their conversation was interrupted by the TV switching from a blank screen with a Chiron of the countdown timer to the timer with the LNN Anchor, Frank Madison. The countdown timer read – 15:23:37 and was still counting down. Frank started reading his prepared notes, “Since Superman was not been found and has failed to contact EPRAD work has progressed on fitting a nuclear payload to the Asgard rocket. That rocket was launched as soon as it was ready. This is a last ditch effort to prevent the remaining portion of ‘Nightfall’ from impacting the planet. According to EPRAD Mission Control, the Asgard rocket with the nuclear payload should detonate against the 'Nightfall' asteroid any second now. Let's go to EPRAD.”

The picture switched to a radar plot of the trajectory of the missile. The large chunk of rock that was what was left of ‘Nightfall’ was a round circle at the center of the screen. A smaller dot representing the Asgard rocket was seen moving across the screen. While they watched the dot representing the rocket bypassed the large target and continued on into space.

Immediately the feed was switched and there was the voice of mission control coming from the speakers, “Tracking telemetry zero, niner, alpha.” There was a brief pause then with some despair evident in the voice, the mission control person continued, “The Asgard rocket has missed its target. Repeat, the Asgard rocket has missed its target.”

There was a collective gasp as they all realized what that meant. They now had about fifteen hours for Clark to recover his memory sufficiently to intercept the asteroid if disaster were to be avoided.

Lois was worried and grabbed her husband in a fierce grip as if she wouldn’t let him go.

Jonathan was more pragmatic, “The world needs you now. More than it ever has, I expect.”

Martha looked at Jonathan and said, “He already tried once and look what happened.”

Lois looked up into his face and reaching up brushed his little forelock aside and added, “I don’t want to take a chance on him being hurt again.”

Again, Jonathan was the pragmatic one, “What choice is there, but to try again? The alternative is unthinkable.”

Stepping up to Clark, Jonathan put a hand on his shoulder and said, “I’m confident that that thing has done its worst to you. What more could happen?”

Lois fretted, “If he could only remember how it happened. The doctor said it could be the result of a blow to the head. Did you crash into it head first?”

Clark was frustrated, “I really don’t know.”

Lois was convinced she was right as she said, “I don’t think you would have. You and I have discussed many things and one has been karate. I think you would have, I don’t know, kinda … kicked it since the legs are stronger.”

Martha asked, “If he kicked it, how would his head and memory be affected?”

Lois thought for a few seconds, trying to dredge up from her memory what the doctor had said. Finally she had it and snapping her fingers, almost shouted, “Oxygen! We were worried that he wouldn’t have enough oxygen for the return trip. The doctor said that mountain climbers who have lost their air supply suffer from anoxia and they can lose their memories, at least temporarily. That has to be it. His air must have run out and his brain was starved for oxygen. That has to be it.”

Jonathan asked, “Did the doctor say how long it took for the effects to be reversed?”

Lois replied, “No, but I would suppose it would depend on extent and duration. Was he totally without or was it just reduced and for how long.”

Martha pointed out, “Well, he has started to recover some memories. And he didn’t forget you. That’s probably a good sign. What about a hyperbaric chamber? They can use them for hyperbaric oxygen treatments.”

Lois asked, ”How would we explain using that to treat Clark’s amnesia? Remember, Clark was here in Metropolis, not out in space. What was he doing here in Metropolis that would deprive him of oxygen?”

Martha countered, “What about Superman?”

Lois said, “I don’t think we can. How could we explain both Superman and Clark having amnesia at the same time? That would be too risky. It’s better if he stays hidden. They’ve figured out that he made it back, but the rest is a mystery. Let it stay a mystery, at least for the time being.”

Clark finally spoke up, “Well, you guys have convinced me that I’m Superman, but I just don’t remember how to be Superman. How can we get that back? Things like making coffee and making love to my wife, they come naturally. Flying into space to stop an asteroid doesn't exactly come naturally. Does it?”

With a shake of his head, Jonathan said, “You're the only one who can do it, son. You’ve done it once already so we know that you can do it.”

Clark was still Clark, memory or no memory and he could feel the need to do something to avert this disaster. With something bordering on desperation in his voice he said, “You guys need to help me remember how to be Superman and if I can’t remember, at least teach me how to be him.”

Jimmy was at his desk and he had the typewriter front and center where his computer keyboard usually sat. Because of the different feel of the keys as opposed to what he was used to he was reduced to almost a hunt and peck style of typing. He was so absorbed with what he was doing that he didn’t even know that he was there until Perry put his hand on his shoulder. With a start, Jimmy jerked around.

Perry gently said, “We're gonna need that copy, Jimmy.”

Jimmy sighed, pulled the paper out of the typewriter and handed it to Perry.

Perry accepted it and started reading.

As he did, Jimmy said, “I don't know. You guys make it look so easy. Pretty lame, isn’t it?”

Perry looked at it thoughtfully and then said, “It could use some polish. Listen, Jimmy …”

Jimmy interrupted him and said, “I know. You gotta give it to a real reporter.”

Perry shook his head and said, “No, I was just thinking that maybe I should partner you with someone on this.”

Jimmy was astonished and blurted out, “Partner? Who's gonna want to partner with me?”

With a smile, Perry put his arm across Jimmy’s shoulders and said, “Let’s step into my office. Maybe we can work something out. It’s been a while since I’ve had part of a byline.”

Cat was nervous. She was about to do something that she hadn’t done all that frequently and just the thought made her apprehensive. As she crossed through the doors she pulled some cloth from her purse. It was a very feminine bit of black lace, a bit larger than a handkerchief. Folding it into a triangle she placed it on her head demonstrating that it was in fact a mantilla and that she had just entered a church. Clutching the bottom to hold it in place, Cat made her way to the small cubicles off to one side of the church. Shortly after entering one side of the cubicle a young priest, barely out of his novitiate entered the other side of the same cubicle and to signal that he was now ready he slid a partition aside leaving only a screen blocking him from the other side. He sat back so that if the penitent were to try to look into his side he would be mostly obscured.

Cat had nervously been handling a set of rosary beads, but upon hearing the partition being moved, she began the ritual, her own inimitable way, “Bless me father for I have sinned ... and sinned ... and sinned.”

He had been taught well and moved to the next step, “How long has it been since your last confession?”

Cat was silent for some time. It was apparent that she was mentally calculating before answering, “Twenty, uh, twenty-two years. But I've meant to get in more. I've just had a busy schedule.”

He was shocked at this. He had heard some confessions and most of the time they were short, the penitent having been in the confessional at most a week previously. He instantly became worried about how long it would take to confess the sins accumulated over a twenty-two year period and said, “I'm sure you realize the time constraints we're operating under. Perhaps you should limit this confession to the most recent transgressions.”

Cat said, “Oh, all right, well let’s see. Oh, I have it; I told a man who has no memory that he desires me. Oh, and his wife was standing nearby.”

The priest couldn’t help, but be curious, “Does he?”

“Well, he ought to. Although before they were married he was playing awfully hard to get. Why he decided to marry her, I could never tell you. They do look happy though. I guess there’s no accounting for taste.”

Trying to cut to the chase, the priest asked, “So you are confessing to the sin of lust by attempting to take advantage of a vulnerable man, who is also married?”

In an off-hand manner, Cat continued, “It's kind of a pattern I see in my behavior. I just don't want to meet the maker fresh off this one.”

Trying to fulfill his duty and get to the root of the problem the priest asked, “Why do you feel you've lived your life this way?”

As if he could see her, Cat shrugged and said, “I guess I've always found meaning in meaningless relationships.” Cat paused, trying to decide if she should confide her deepest fears. She decided to go for it, “I called everyone I know. They all have someone to be with. It's taken to the end of the Earth to get to this point, but I'm totally alone.”

The priest took this in and asked, “But what you want now is reassurance that you're never alone, that you are loved for your soul. Is that right?”

Cat brightened. He understood! She said, “Exactly. Aren't there some things you passionately want to experience just once before you die?”

Being just out of his novitiate and having some of his own issues because of ‘Nightfall’ this was hitting too close to home. He slammed shut the patrician and fled the confessional.

Cat heard the partition close and didn’t understand why. She questioned, “Father? … Father?” Then she heard his rapid footsteps receding from the confessional. Realizing that the session was indeed over, Cat pulled off the mantilla and used it to wipe her eyes before putting it back in her purse and exiting the church.

The next morning, while Jonathan and Martha worked with Clark, trying to re-teach him how to be Superman, Lois went in to the office. Compared to the last few days the city appeared to be deserted. Where there had been traffic jams and jammed sidewalks there now were empty streets and almost empty sidewalks.

On the sidewalk in front to the Planet building stood a newspaper vending machine. Through the Plexiglas window the headline stood out big and bold – “SUPERMAN CAME HOME" with the sub-headline, "Where Is He Now?" The by-line reads, "By Perry White and James Olsen."

Small clusters of people stood on the street looking into the sky. They were either trying to get the first sight of Superman or else their doom. A few cars were driving along. In the window of an electronics shop across from the Planet a TV showed the countdown clock which explained everything. The Chiron read: “Estimated Time to Impact is now 3:09:35” and it continued counting down.

Lois made her way to the newsroom and her desk. She had picked up a copy of the morning edition on her way up and sat at her desk simply perusing what she had.

Jimmy was at Cat’s desk and he was showing her his article, his first byline. Cat was suitably impressed.

Perry came by and Lois stopped him, “That was a nice thing you did for Jimmy, Chief.”

“Jimmy's a good kid, Lois. It’s been a month o’ Sundays since I had a byline and I didn’t mind sharin' it. After all, it was his story.”

Lois nodded, “He earned it. As long as we know Superman got back to Earth, there's still hope.”

Looking around, Perry said, “There isn’t much goin’ on. You don't have to be here now. I know that you and Clark’s folks are trying to restore Clark’s memories. He should probably be your priority now. It's your choice, but I think you ought to go be with him. What about your family?”

Lois had a somewhat regretful expression as she replied, “We already managed to get everybody together on an open phone line. Mom and Dad even acted like they cared about each other. It was nice. You?”

Perry looked down, “Alice was visiting the boys when it all happened. She can't get a flight out of Des Moines.”

Lois reached out a comforting hand, “I’m sorry to hear that.”

Making the best of it, Perry said, “She knows how I feel about her and what she's meant to me. That's the important thing.”

Lois reached to shut down her terminal and said, “At least there’s that. Thanks, Perry. I think I will go home and be with Clark and his folks.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/07/14 10:39 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj