Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#258651 10/06/14 05:53 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Also, I haven't posted much of anything since the changes to the site, so I hope these show up all right! smile

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed, even if they are extremely short!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Wow. What a wonderful deja-vu-debut (or whatever you call a new story after a long absence).

You have definitely lost neither your ability to read so much into a line nor your skill at expanding on the line in a way to give more depth to a character than the show's own writers ever did.

Welcome back! :-)

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anti-K is back! dance wave

But Lois Lane has something I’ll never have. I’ve been working with her for several years now, always throwing put-downs and come-backs her way, ignoring the taunts she sends out in reply, and yet, I still don’t understand what it is she has that the rest of us don’t.

Doing a character study of Cat Grant is something we don't read around here very often. This is a woman who is comfortable (for the most part) with who she is, but is still upstaged by Lois Lane on a regular basis. Lois does possess that intricate ability to be tough without losing her femininity, an ability Cat sadly lacks. Maybe if she got rid of the vamp exterior and stopped being a mantrap, others in the newsroom could see just what a good writer and person she is.

Superman does. He’s working the room (not as skillfully as Lex Luthor or the other more consummate showmen), always turned toward the woman who won his date--and always, *always*, where he can see Lois out of the corner of his eye.

Lex Luthor’s seen it. For months, Lois has been hounding his office, trying to get the first one-on-one interview with him (really, sometimes she just sets herself up for failure), but now, one White Orchid Ball and one dance later, *he’s* the one calling *her* for meetings and appointments and lunches.

Yeah well, Cat does not know Lex's game otherwise she would probably be more than a little afraid of him. Superman is in love with Lois and Lex wants to use that against him.

Well done, hope to see you on the boards more often.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap I'm really enjoying this series! I'm so glad you're continuing it. (Count me as one of those looking forward to your new long story. hyper )

You've captured Cat really well here. I love how you give voice to how Cat -- normally so in-your-face -- feels invisible. Nice tie in with the episode. Well done. Because of her subject matter (gossip) and her wild personality, she really feels as if her hard work goes unnoticed. Thank you for not dismissing Cat's character as so many other people do (mainly the writers from the show grumble ) as only superficial (I know I've been known to do that with Ralph's character [Linked Image]). No matter what personality, or mask, or persona, a person projects to others, they still feel on the inside. The sign of a good writer is how far they can walk inside someone else's 4 inch heels without missing a step. Brava! notworthy

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thank you for the comments! I really enjoy writing these little exercises, and I'm glad they have an audience! smile

Love the sound of 'deja-vu debut,' Lynn! Looking for the motivations behind what the show gives us is really the reason I write fanfic at all -- well, and to receive the lovely feedback you all give me! laugh

Wonderful to hear from you, Morgana! I've always liked Lois's ability to be tough but still feminine, as you so ably put it, and that is DEFINITELY a trait Cat lacks. The moments when she drops her own facade are the moments when we see Clark and Lois both give her a second chance (in parts of 'Strange Visitor' and 'The Witness'). And I certainly hope to be on the boards more now that I have a bit more free time!

Thanks so much, Virginia! I have to admit that I'm actually NOT a fan of Cat's at all, mainly due to the fact that I think if the genders were reversed, she could have easily and quickly been accused (justly) of sexual harassment against Clark. As it is, everyone laughs it off and does exactly to Clark what they do to women in the same situation: namely, they don't believe him and they think less of him for it. But despite that -- or maybe because of it -- I wanted to try to get into her head and make her sympathetic...though I wasn't sure how successful I'd be! So, I felt hugely complimented by your comment about walking in four-inch shoes! smile

Thank you, again, for taking the time to comment on these short little chapters! I really appreciate the feedback!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard