All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

When they arrived at the Planet, Lois restrained herself as they rode up in the elevator. She wanted so much to just throw her arms around him and kiss as was their habit. Then the thought hit her, Familiar things, familiar people, familiar activities. Throwing caution to the winds she turned to him and asked, “Familiar?”

He shook his head and said, “No.”

She threw her arms around his neck. Her hand played with the hair at the back of his head as she pulled his face down to hers for a kiss.

He was startled at first, but then quickly moved to deepen the kiss.

As the doors opened, Lois pulled back, breathlessly and asked, “Anything?”

With a wry grin he asked, “I don’t know how I could have forgotten something like that, but no.”

Taking his hand she led him down the ramp to his desk, “This is your desk. Look familiar?”

He looked at the desk and the few things on the surface. He fingered his nameplate and said, “I’m sorry. No.”

Trying to think back to the days before they were married, Lois looked around. Catching sight of the break area she walked in that direction as she was saying, “You always come in and grab a donut from the coffee area. You usually like the cake things with the frosting. These are a little stale. Are you hungry?

“I can't remember anything. I'm not starving. I'm fine.”

Lois crossed to Clark’s desk and pulled out a drawer. She pulled out a spare pair of glasses and handed them to him, “Here, these are one of your spares. I’m sorry I didn’t think to grab a pair from home.”

Clark removed the glasses that Henry O. had given him and put these on. Out of curiosity, he pulled them off and put them on a few times to see what difference they made. He asked Lois, “Are you sure these are mine? They don’t seem to do very much.”

Lois moved close and whispered, “They do plenty. Just wear them and I’ll explain later.”

He nodded and put them on, “Whatever you say.”

Lois asked, “How much did Bill tell you?”

“Well, he told me we were a reporting team. Then you told me that we are married.”

Lois couldn’t help taking advantage of the situation. She said, “Yes, we’re married and in that we are equal partners, but here I have seniority because I’ve been here longer so I’m the senior partner.”

“So, you call the shots?”

“You could say that.”

Acquiescing easily, he said, “Okay, what should I do now?”

Feeling a little guilty about taking advantage of him in this way, Lois relented and said, “Well, actually, we're a team, full partners. Nobody works for anybody. Although, for the immediate future, you may want to follow my lead.”

Clark nodded his understanding, “Probably a good idea.”

Cat came strolling by and seeing Lois and Clark moved to join them, “Clark, welcome back. What happened to you?”

Clark looked at Lois questioningly.

Lois answered his unasked question, “This is Cat Grant. She writes the gossip column for the paper. We write news.” She turned to Cat and said, “Clark has amnesia.”

With a startled look, Cat asked, “Is there a punch line I'm missing?”

Clark replied, “She's telling the truth Miss Grant. I don't remember much of anything.”

Lois said, “The police psychologist said that familiar places, things and people might help restore his memory.”

Cat looked back and forth between Lois and Clark and then made up her mind. She said, “Excuse us a moment,” she grabbed Clark’s arm and pulled him a few feet away.

Cat pulled Clark around to face her and said, with all sincerity, “Oh, honey, it's me, Cat. How can you not remember what we've meant to each other?

Clark replied with uncertainty, “I guess we work together, huh?”

With a leer, Cat said, “Oh, honey, we do a lot more than that.”

Surprised, Clark asked, “We do?”

Cat lowered her voice to a whisper, “We've kept it a secret. You're so worried about what people think.” Cat indicated Lois, “Especially her.” Cat put on a grief stricken act and started to tear up as she continued; “Now you don't even remember … 'us.'”

Cat reached out and pulled him into a hug, “Does this refresh your memory?”

Pushing Cat away he looked at Lois apologetically and said, “I don’t believe a word of it. I may not remember much, but I do know that I wouldn’t cheat on my wife.”

Cat was crestfallen, “Oh, she told you, huh?”

“Of course she told me and I believe her.”

“Rats. Oh, well. Can’t blame a girl for trying.”

Just then Perry approached and cleared his throat. Cat smiled and said, “See ya around.”

Perry stuck his hand out to Clark, “Perry White, Son. Lois told me what happened. Sorry to hear about it.” He noted Jimmy’s approach and performed the introduction, “This here's Jimmy Olsen.”

Jimmy held out his hand to shake as he said, “Hi, Clark. Actually, I always call you 'C.K.’, ‘C.K.’”

Perry turned to Clark and asked, “Now, how you feelin'? Up to going to a news conference?”

Clark’s answer was encouraging, “I think so.”

Perry called Lois over, “Okay, something's cookin' at EPRAD. I’ve had Steve and Frank down there since yesterday. I want the two of you to get down there and relieve them.

And now:

Chapter 7

Since the news conference was being held downtown, Lois and Clark caught a cab. When they exited the cab, Lois paid the fare and joined Clark. As she approached, she noticed that he apparently had a tickle in his nose because he appeared to be fighting a sneeze. Seeing this she was thoughtful, <He’s invulnerable. What could cause and invulnerable man to sneeze? Perhaps he’s more human than even I realized.>

Suddenly he lost the battle and he sneezed, with force.

Lois had been watching Clark in fascination as he sneezed but her attention was pulled away from him when she heard tires screeching and looking around saw the cab skidding sideways across the street and crashing into a fire hydrant. The fire hydrant sent a geyser of water into the air and seeing this Lois knew exactly what had happened and grabbing Clark’s arm led him away. In case anyone was listening, she said, “One thing you need to re-learn right away is that Metro cabbies cannot drive. Never trust them. Oh, and it is polite to cover your mouth when you sneeze.”

Clark nodded his head and followed Lois.

For the time being, Lois decided that it would be best for him to believe that Superman was someone else, so she said, “Now this news conference we're going to is about Superman and the asteroid I told you about.”

Clark’s response told Lois that her plan was working, “This Superman -- sounds like he means a lot to you.”

Lois didn’t want him to get the wrong impression and said, “He means a lot to everybody, Clark. It’s just that he is … special to you and me. Our relationship to him is different from anyone else’s. I’ll fill you in later.”

“Okay, Lois.”

As a result of the preparations for the news conference they had been required to leave the cab a block and a half from City Hall. As they completed their trek they saw a platform that had been erected on the front steps.

Thanks to Lois’s aggressiveness and also her reputation among the press corps they managed to get to a position near the front of the pack before the conference began.

Shortly after they were in place Professor Daitch, Secretary Cosgrove and General Zeitlin stepped up on the platform and as a group approached the microphones.

Secretary Cosgrove was the first to speak, “We have just completed a briefing with the Federal Emergency Management Team. This meeting was called to discuss the scientific assessment from EPRAD about yesterday's mission. Professor Daitch.”

In response to his name, professor Daitch stepped to the microphone and began to speak, “Superman's impact on the 'Nightfall' asteroid was substantial. It was not, however, decisive.”

Lois shouted out, “Are you telling us there's still something out there?”

Giving Lois the benefit of the doubt, Daitch said, “Perhaps you missed the President’s announcement. This press conference was called to give slightly more detail. Yes, there’s still something out there, a large portion -- approximately three miles across -- remains on an impact course with the Earth.” He consulted his watch and then said, “It is due to impact about fifty-five hours from now.”

Very well aware that she had Superman standing right there next to her, but unable to reveal that fact and knowing that she had to cover for him, Lois asked, “Is Superman really dead or does this mean that he actually returned, secretly? Is that really why we haven't heard from Superman? Is it that he's working on a return mission?”

Daitch was not a politician and answering questions of this nature truthfully could cause a panic, so with a deer-in-the-headlights look he turned to Cosgrove.

Cosgrove stepped to the mic and said, “We have not yet heard from Superman although we expect to soon.”

Lois thought to herself, <Just as soon as I can get him to remember that he’s Superman.>

While Lois had been thinking this there had been a collective gasp from the audience and press corps alike.

Cosgrove held up his hands for silence and said, “There is no need for panic. Even without Superman's help, we are confident we can handle this latest challenge with existing resources.” He turned and looked at Zeitlin as he said, “General?”

General Zeitlin stepped up to the microphone and said, “We have several delivery systems, notably the Asgard booster, which we are in the process of re-programming. At the same time, we're currently attaching nuclear payloads which, if we can deliver them, will finish the job Superman started.”

The press conference was being telecast and at the Daily Planet, Perry, Jimmy, Cat and other staffers were watching it unfold.

When General Zeitlin finished, Clark spoke up, “Are you looking for Superman?”

Perry had been wearing a serious expression as the conference proceeded, but when Clark asked his question, he broke out in a grin. He said, “Kent asked a question. That’s a good sign!”

General Zeitlin was trying to answer a question to which he had no really good answer, “We're trying to stop a catastrophe. Our opinion is that Superman knows how to find us much easier than we know how to find him.”

Having seen quite enough political doubletalk for one day, Perry turned away from the TV and said, “I’ll be in my office.”

Jimmy had been doing some checking of his own and had been itching to do more than he had been allowed to do so far. Seeing Perry headed for his office he decided that it was going to be now, or never so he followed Perry to his sanctum. Closing the door after him he said, “Chief, I need to talk to you.”

Perry was irritated and it was in his tone as he answered, “Not now. We got a crisis going on here.”

Undeterred, Jimmy pressed on, “That's why we need to talk.”

Jimmy’s persistence caught Perry’s attention and he relented, somewhat, “Okay, son. Talk fast.”

Jimmy had his argument ready, “Clark's right. Somebody ought to be looking for Superman.”

Jimmy had managed to raise his hopes somewhat, but this didn’t satisfy, “You heard 'em, son. They got their hands full with that rocket.”

Jimmy decided to try to make it personal, “You know how many times your VCR's been in the shop? Things break. Things don't work. And they gotta hit this moving target and get it right the first time. I don't want to bet my life on a rocket, Chief. I'm twenty-one years old. You've had a great career. I haven't even written my first story. I'm not ready to give up.”

Perry showed that he was weakening, when he asked, “What have you got in mind?”

Jimmy pulled out a map he had been working on. He unfolded it and laid it out on Perry’s desk as he explained, “Lois asked me to make some calls. Anyway, right after Superman broke the asteroid up the other day, well, there were reports from all around the world of a shooting star. That’s not so unusual by itself, but a bunch of people near Hobs Bay reported seeing the shooting star up close and personal. They thought it crashed in Suicide Slum.”

Skeptically, Perry offered, “Maybe it was a piece of the asteroid.”

Jimmy had his argument ready, “How? I mean, how would it get here ahead of the rest of it? But Superman could.”

His skepticism only slightly in abeyance, Perry said, said, “That’s a real long shot.”

Jimmy challenged, “”You got a better idea?”

Many thoughts passed through Perry’s mind over the next few seconds, doubt that this would lead to anything, the possibility that it was a total waste of time, but finally that it actually wasn’t the worst idea he had ever heard. He sighed and then said, “Let me get my coat.”

Jimmy blurted out, “You’re going with me?”

“In for a penny, in for a pound.”

Lois and Clark had returned to the Planet and written up the article on the news conference. Lois was working on her computer typing up the final version when Clark came over and started reading over her shoulder he said, “I think it’s spelled Z e i t l i n.”

Lois looked back at him and said, “You’re always editing my copy! Look, the rule is ’i’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c’.”

“Yes, normally, but this is a name and it doesn’t follow the rule.”

Suddenly it hit her, what had just happened. She sat there and stared at him. “Are you remembering something?”

“I don’t know. This does feel familiar,” and he gave her a smile which she returned.

They finished up the article and headed to dinner.

Earlier, when Martha hung the phone up from her conversation with Lois she said, “While you try to get us a flight, I’ll start packing. See if we can get a flight out of Wichita.” When she finished giving this order she was off, almost running up the stairs.

By the time Jonathan joined her she had her suitcase packed and had his out on the bed.

“I called and most flights have been grounded because of that thing up there. I called the train station and they do have several runs coming through and with changes we can make it to Metropolis. It will be round-about, but we will get there.”

“In that case, I’m going downstairs to pack some food to take with us while you pack. As soon as you’re ready, we’ll head out.”

It had been an uneventful trip into Wichita and they found a long term parking lot near the train station.

Almost as soon as they entered the depot there was an announcement for a train to Baltimore. They knew that they would be able to change trains there for one to Metropolis so they hurried and got their tickets.

Late the next day, after nearly twenty-four hours of travel a travel weary but undaunted pair exited the Metropolis train station. When they did they were accosted by sights that they were not used to seeing on their trips to Metropolis. There were men wearing sandwich boards proclaiming, “Doomsday: Is Your Conscience Clear?" and other messages referring to the approaching asteroid fragment.

As usual there were those individuals that took advantage of the situation. There was a pickup truck parked near the doors and an individual selling bottled water from a load in the bed for $3.00 a bottle.

Martha almost dropped her bag when she saw the number of cars in the street and the fact that they were at a virtual standstill. She exclaimed, “My God, Jonathan!”

Jonathan’s reply had a sardonic tone as he said, “These city folks don't know the first thing about keeping their heads cool in a crisis. I’d hate to see how they’d respond to a tornado warning siren.”

Nodding, Martha asked, “Should we try to get a cab?” Even as she asked, she realized the futility because the noise of the car horn almost drowned her out.

Fortunately, Jonathan was near and heard her. He replied, “Even if we can get one, it'll take forever. Let's find a phone and try to call the Planet again.”

Taking a firm grip on her suitcase Martha started to move determinedly toward the corner where she could see a couple of telephone kiosks. She was only partway there when Jonathan saw her veer off and start across the street right between the cars that were sitting there gridlocked.

Shocked, Jonathan shouted, “Where are you going?”

“Their apartment. It’s closer than the Planet and we can get rid of these bags. We’ll get there faster if we walk. Won’t take more than an hour or so.”

Jonathan questioned, “Are you serious?”

Martha turned on him and the look of determination on her face was blindingly obvious, “Jonathan, our boy is missing. Do I look serious?”

Jonathan marveled. He had been married to this woman for more than thirty years and she still managed to amaze him. Then he started to think about his new daughter-in-law and he started to chuckle to himself. It seemed as though the Kent men were alike in their preferences in women because both of the Kent women were cast in the same mold. As horns were blaring at them from crossing through traffic, even though the cars were not moving, he started to chuckle to himself.

Martha caught him and stopped, right there in the middle of the street and asked, “What’s so funny?”

“Oh, nothing.”

Martha put her bag down, crossed her arms and said, “Oh, it’s something alright, now what is it.”

Now Jonathan was almost laughing. He turned to the driver honking his horn at them and said, “Keep your shirt on,” as he reached for her bag and said, “I was just thinking how much Lois is like you. No nonsense, stubborn and determined. You see what needs to be done and nothing will stop you from doing it. It’s one of the many things I love about you and I’m sure Clark would say the same about Lois.”

Martha smiled and reached for her bag.

Lois decided that it was time to seriously work on his memory when they returned to the apartment. Accordingly, when they entered and removed their coats, Lois said, “This afternoon you didn’t have much time to look around. All you did was shower and change. Take a few minutes to look around and see if anything stimulates your memory.”

As he started looking around, Lois stood on the top landing and observed. Starting at one side he looked at the titles of the books on the shelves. Working his way around the room he found an autographed football which he picked up and, holding it to his nose, smelled it.

Lois said, “You played football in college. Your play won the game so you were voted MVP and given the game ball.”

Clark nodded and put the football back in its holder. Next he picked up a photo of an older couple. He looked at Lois inquiringly, “My parents?”

“Yes, they should be here sometime soon. I called them last night. I tried to call them this morning to let them know you had been found, while you were in the shower, but there was no answer so they are probably on their way. I haven’t known them for very long. Actually, the weekend that I met them was the weekend that we were married. Even so, they are the nicest people. When we got married it was a shock to them, but they were so accepting. They took me into the family virtually sight unseen and loved me, I think it was because we were so in love and it showed. They have always wanted the best for you and when they saw that I made you happy, well, that was enough for them. I’m only their daughter-in-law, but they treat me better than my own parents do. I love them to pieces.”

Clark put the picture back where he had found it.

Lois asked, “Any memories?”

Shaking his head, he said, “No, none.”

Lois finally came down the steps and into the living room. She walked up to him and taking his hand she led him to the sofa. After taking his jacket off and putting it over the back of the chair she had him sit on the sofa. Once he was settled, she sat next to him and snuggled up to him.

His arm found its way across her shoulders and she sighed in contentment.

He said, “We do this a lot, don’t we?”

Lois brightened up, “You’re remembering something?”

“I don’t know. This just feels familiar … natural.”

Banking on the fact that his strongest memories would be of her and them and what they meant to each other, Lois decided to pull out all the stops. Twisting around she initiated a kiss.

His response was tentative, at first, but then he went with it and by the time they broke the kiss, they were both breathless.

Sitting back he released a heartfelt, “Wow.”

“Anything?”

With a cheeky grin he said, “No, not yet. Maybe some more of that therapy would help.”

Lois smiled and said, “Are you sure? That’s just what you would have said before in an attempt to just spend more time kissing.” She kept her tone light and bantering although she was feeling the desperation of needing him to have his memory back. Then a thought struck her. Some of the strongest memories should be of their intimate times. Slowly she pushed herself upright and took his hand. Standing she pulled him along behind her as she started to move in the direction of the bedroom.

Seeing the direction that she was leading him, he became somewhat apprehensive. He stammered, “Uh, are, uh, are you sure, uh, sure that we should …”

She quickly turned to face him, “Clark, some of our most memorable times have happened,” she nodded in the direction of the bedroom, “in there. Come on, honey. We are married after all. I need you to get your memory back. I need you and the world needs you.”

He stopped her and questioned her statement, “I can understand you needing me, but the world? I’m just a reporter.”

Lois was trying to get his memory back without telling him about Superman, but she would if she had to. For now she said, “Oh, honey, you are more than just a reporter. You are a part of the team of Lane and Kent. Perry teamed us because he could see the potential for greatness. You don’t want to let him down do you?”

“Well, if you put it that way.”

“Besides, it’s been more than twelve hours since we made love and I’m having withdrawal symptoms.”

By this time, Lois had him in the bedroom and standing with his back to the bed. She removed his tie and started undoing the buttons of his shirt.

When the buttons were all open she put her hands inside his shirt and sensuously slid her hands up across his pecs to his shoulders, across and down his arms, pushing the shirt off. His breathing deepened as she did and she knew that he was being aroused as a result of her actions. She leaned in and started trailing kisses across his chest. She took one of his nipples in her teeth and nipped it. He jumped and started as he felt her hands on his belt buckle, but quickly accepted what she was doing. He toed off his shoes and when she had loosened the belt she undid the button and zipper. When his pants fell to pool around his ankles he was standing there in a set of boxers.

Stepping back, Lois began to undress, doing a slow striptease for her husband. By the time she was down to her bra and panties she knew she had his full attention. Closing the distance she placed a finger on his chest and pushed causing him to fall back onto the bed. She crawled up on top of him and with as much skin to skin contact as possible started another kiss.

His hands came around her back and she was encouraged when he unclasped her bra. Pulling back she allowed it to fall away. She swayed her upper body to make her breasts swing to and fro in front of his face. He took the bait and used his lips to capture a nipple He reached for and grasped the waistband of her panties and started drawing them down her long slender legs. At his first touch she let out a sigh which slowly became a growl of desire.

Once he had her panties off he slid his hands up her legs, caressing them as he moved up to her torso. He caressed her hips and the curve of her waist before his hands found her breasts. His hands circled her breasts and squeezed gently while his thumb grazed over her erect nipples. Each time he did she would release a small gasp.

He continued working her breasts. When he did, his tongue flicked out and laved her hard nipple, wetting it slightly. Then he pulled back and blew on it, not enough to freeze the siliva, but enough to cool it. Once he had chilled her nipple he lowered his mouth to her breast and took her cold nipple into his warm mouth, flicking his tongue over it and applying some suction.

Lois was whimpering her desire as he did all of this. Her hips began to move of their own accord. She buried her fingers in his hair and pulled his face from one breast to the other. Even as all of this was happening, Lois was hit with feeling of Déjà vu because this scene was playing itself out exactly as it had the last time they had made love.

Her hands moved to his back and her fingernails clawed at the flawless skin that they found there. When that happened, the flood of emotion and the endorphins released in his brain triggered a sudden flood of memories. Memories of other times that they had been together this way. The love they shared. Suddenly, Clark Kent was back.

When she finally released him he lay next to her and caressed her breasts and body as she slowly relaxed.

After several minutes she exhaled, deeply and said, “Wow. That was something to remember.”

He replied, with heartfelt emotion, “I did remember.”

Hearing this, Lois was excited. She asked, “You remember?”

“Yes, I remember. I’m Clark and you are my wife and I love you.”

Afterward, in the afterglow of their lovemaking session, they were cuddling. Lois was lying next to him with her right leg across his and her right breast on his chest, her right arm across his shoulder and her face pillowed on his near shoulder. She said, “Wow, that’s something you haven’t forgotten. You are just a gentle a lover now as ever. You were just super.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Say what?”

“That I was super.”

Lois decided that this could be a good way to ease him into it. “Because you are.”

“I thought only Superman was super,”

With a wicked little grin, Lois said, “He is and you are.”

His confusion was apparent, “But if only Superman is super, how can I be super too.”

“It was only an expression, but actually … in this case it is true. You my dear … are … Superman. I have had to be careful to keep you from revealing what you can do.”

“But from what I’ve heard, Superman is an alien and doesn’t really mix with people.”

“Superman is a disguise that you put on so that you can help people and still have a normal life with me. You, my dear, dear husband are Clark Kent, adopted son of Jonathan and Martha, the sole survivor of the planet Krypton. Your biological parents sent you to Earth, to the Kents, to me because your planet was destroying itself and they wanted you to live. They loved you so much that they sacrificed themselves so that you could live. That’s why it’s so important that you get your memory back. The world needs Superman. There’s still that large chunk of rock headed this way.”

Just then there was a knock on the door and a shout in a voice that Lois recognized as Martha Kent’s, “Lois?”

Lois jumped up and grabbed a couple of robes. She threw one to Clark and said, “Your parents, you wait here. I’ll let them in.”

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/01/14 11:53 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj