Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Sorry if this seemed a little melancholy. I live in the desert and it's been raining for five days.

As to the costume, I'm not sure what it might look like. Various people have tried various things, none of which satisfy.

http://steampunkcostume.com/2013/06/14/victorian-man-of-steel-costume/

or

http://www.geekrest.com/2012/01/batman-and-superman-get-a-victorian-design-makeover/

or even

http://www.comicvine.com/elseworlds/4015-46699/forums/gotham-by-gaslight-custom-jla-381288/

(Superman is close to the bottom.)

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Kerth
Kerth
Brava! clap I love that Clark landed early and had time to adjust to the modern world while waiting for Lois to grow up - I think it puts them on more equal footing once they meet up again. This was a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
I liked the fact that Clark was too modest to begin with the spandex version of the costume and I think the last one probably fits more his style (1912 timeframe) for his first try. Glad he has Lois to keep him grounded and give him the life he always wanted, of course she did not know it but it was the life she always wanted also.

I am a bit surprised he stayed completely away from Lois most of the time (except when she was in danger), I guess he figured he would be tempted to get involved if he was too close. Well I guess the character of Clark Kent always has been a patient man in the L&C universe.

Superb story from beginning to end.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I have yet to read one of your stories and not be impressed by your unique take on our favourite characters, not to mention all of the painstaking research you have obviously done to provide verisimilitude. This story was no exception. It's been a few years since I saw Somewhere in Time; I like your take on the basic premise *much* better.

You are giving yourself some stiff competition in the Kerths. And all I have to say about that is: Please continue to compete with yourself. smile

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I actually think the JLA: Age of Wonder Version probably would have been liked by Clark and Lois but definitely wouldn't stand up to super-speed....

DC Wikia on JLA: Age of Wonder

I loved this so much! He still seemed almost like a different person from the Clark she'd known in 1912. With that said, he had to have been there since at least 2000 and America alone is extremely different than today.

I would have loved to hear what Lois thought of the books, though.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was not melancholy, this was a different Lois and Clark, so the ending would be different as well.

With Clark arriving fifteen years ahead of Lois meant that he could learn about this strange new world and be comfortable enough in it that his transition to the 21st century would not impede their relationship.

So, who was the Government agent? Jimmy's dad?

Bittersweet wrap up to a thought provoking story. Why do I say bittersweet? Clark ages much slower than Lois. Eventually they will be lost to each other....

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Excellent fic! I'm glad that Clark only had to wait 15 years and not a whole century. This avoids that troublesome series of decades containing the World Wars and other unpleasantnesses.

I love a happy ending. Yay!

Top Banana
Top Banana
“I can be stubborn,” Clark admitted. “And there are some aspects of this new world that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to accept. Twerking, for example…”
I lol'ed at this.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Fantastic. I was pretty certain that he would come out of the time tunnel earlier than Lois, so that he could be her saviour throughout her life.

I loved that she ran into his arms, even though she was concerned he might not feel the same. She can't resist him. grin

I chuckled that their agreement to go slow lasted only till later the same evening ... but I'm a bit disappointed you didn't describe this wonderful breaking of the agreement!

So, what's your next story then?

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwww. Great story. clap Enjoyed every bump and loop-de-loop.

The clothes looked as though they were tailored and expensive.
Once one wore tailor made clothes, it's hard to go retail.

How long had it been for him? Had his feelings changed?
Oh, poor Lois. mecry What a scary feeling. To know that the man with whom she fell in love within the last 24 hours could've already moved on.

In this world, she was just one woman among many, and a man who looked like Clark wouldn’t lack for female companionship.
Of course, that's not taking into effect HIM. A traditional man would've married for life in 1912 (one would hope). Just because females wanted to be with him, doesn't mean he wanted to be with anyone other than her.

The idea that he’d come here out of a sense of obligation tore at her.
Okay. I could see that, but Lois thinking he's just there to be nice, so sad.

She wouldn’t have expected him to drive a Prius.
I love this tidbit. clap So Clark. Saving the world by driving an electric car. Love it!

“You don’t look any older,” she said finally.

“I’m not like other men,” he reminded her. “I just didn’t realize how different.”

“I’m sorry.”
Is he referring to not aging? Is she empathizing with his pain on not aging? Personally, I doubt she's sorry at all that he didn't age.

She should have been there to introduce him to this new world. She couldn’t imagine what it would have been like to be trapped in a world where no one you’d known was alive. He’d been utterly alone, and she’d never told him exactly when she’d come from.
Oh, that. That makes more sense.

“I helped a government agent out of a few tight spots,” Clark said. “He helped create an identity for me. From what I was willing to tell him, he assumed I was from an Amish family and had no identification. This was before 2001, when things were a little more lax.”
He was lucky.

“You don’t know what it’s like to live with me day to day,” Lois said. “I had roommates in college, and they were always complaining that I was stubborn and controlling and overbearing.”

“I can be stubborn,” Clark admitted. “And there are some aspects of this new world that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to accept. Twerking, for example…”
I love that he admits to being stubborn as well. Am I the only one who doesn't know what "twerking" is? peep

Getting him to wear a costume and go public as a superhero had been like pulling teeth; he was modest and any costume that would last had to be skin tight. Despite that, he insisted on more modest outfits that kept being destroyed.
I bet. Also, compared to most of the female heroes' costumes, Superman's is quite modest.

Still, he could afford them, and as time went on, he and Lois were only growing closer.
I'm thinking his writing paid more than he was willing to admit.

Life was good.
Awwwww. I'm so envious! What a great adventure. What a happy ending. Much more romantic and wonderful than the movie. Thanks for sharing (and for finishing this story). notworthy A joy to read.

Sorry if this seemed a little melancholy. I live in the desert and it's been raining for five days.
I'm sure Annie would accept any rain you could send her way. I hope you don't get any of those flash floods which hit other places recently.

Love those other costume ideas, especially the cover Christina showed (which is I think the same one as your first example). What fun! clap

Last edited by VirginiaR; 09/22/14 12:14 PM. Reason: Fixed Typos

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Love those other costume ideas, especially the cover Christina showed (which is I think the same one as your first example). What fun! clap

It's close. That cosplay example has a open collar while the one on JLA: Age of Wonder has a mandarin-type collar.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I love that he admits to being stubborn as well. Am I the only one who doesn't know what "twerking" is? peep
Go to YouTube and watch a Miley Cyrus video. You'll see it soon enough (probably more than you ever wanted to see).

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
That was a wonderful story with a great ending smile I suspected, that Clark had landed in Lois' lifetime, but I was hoping that it was in the sixties, and that he met modern Martha and Jonathan.

Such a sweet meeting with Clark. I'm not surprised, that his historic novels were popular, with his first hand knowledge of the past.

KateB
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A very nice finale; I like how you wrapped everything up. I like that Clark had time to acclimate to the 21st century (somewhat) before he met Lois again. I like that he was waiting for her as soon as he got back. I liked that Lois cajoled him into being Superman (though maybe with a different name?)

All in all, another great story. When can we have the next one? grin

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just got back from 3 weeks gone. Great story as usual, Shayne. I really enjoyed it.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard