Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Personally I want to say they added Lois kissing Lex on the lips to up the ick factor of the episode. OK. maybe I don't believe it, but it makes no sense. If she has decided she loves Clark, than kissing Lex on the lips is an act of disloyalty.

I didn't have a rehearsal dinner the night before I got married. We went out with my fiancées sister, and a close friend of her's and said friend's husband. So that part did not seem odd.

That lack of a maid of honor and best man I mainly chalk up to the same reason the wedding was at Lex Tower, low budget TV production. Also, having such people would add to the confusion.

At another level it is an early sigh that this is not the central focus wedding of the series. However, deep down I think everyone knows that somehow Clark will save Lois, Superman will escape, and she won't be left married to Luthor.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
One more quibble. If the wedding is being officiated by the Bishop of Metropolis, shouldn't the wedding be in a church? I know that Deadly Chakram and I have discussed this on occasion, and I think she mentioned that Catholic weddings (which it would have to be if the Bishop were officiating) *have* to take place in the church, instead of LexTower's conference room, right? I'm not going to get into the whole 'Luthor donated so much money to get who he wanted, where he wanted, and when he wanted' argument, because it wouldn't look good for the Catholic church to be seen as willing to accept bribes, and I'm not one to bash anyone's religion. Just curious about the vaguer details.
The one way around this issue might be if Luthor has managed to get his conference room designated as a Catholic Church. I know historically in England having a "chapel" in very upper crust houses did happen, but I am not sure these chapels were allowed places of marriage.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Does anyone think that Luthor taking Lois to see the tragic play Othello (where he ends up killing his wife for suspected adultery) on the eve of their wedding have any hidden or overt parallels to how Luthor views marriage or reveal some hidden agenda on Lex's part? Or was it just in poor taste? (Due to the killing on one's spouse theme.) It's not exactly the type of play to give your bride-to-be enthusiasm to get married.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
My guess is that in RL, the show's writers just wanted them to attend something "with culture and didn't think through the implications." In the show's universe, I doubt Lex would try to send any messages like that to Lois until after they were married. My guess is that that show was just the one that happened to be playing at Metropolis' grandest theatre. (The only one Lex would deign to show his face in.)

At least it wasn't "The Taming of the Shrew."

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
My guess is that in RL, the show's writers just wanted them to attend something "with culture and didn't think through the implications." In the show's universe, I doubt Lex would try to send any messages like that to Lois until after they were married. My guess is that that show was just the one that happened to be playing at Metropolis' grandest theatre. (The only one Lex would deign to show his face in.)

At least it wasn't "The Taming of the Shrew."
Yes, at least. Even Lois wouldn't have let that pass unnoticed. laugh

It would have been a much better analogy to have them see "Taming of the Shrew" than "Othello", being that the couple is in love at the end. In very different ways, both Lex and Clark "tamed" Lois. Lex by killing her spirit and Clark by loving her.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd always gotten the impression that the bishop wasn't there in an official capacity, as such. He was there as a 'friend' of Lex. The point being to illustrate how much influence and power he had at the highest political levels. A kind of "Look how powerful Lex Is. He can even get the bishop to do his wedding, even though we're not in a church but having a private ceremony." It was a typical Lex attempt to impress.

So for those reasons, it didn't seem odd to me at the time.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
While looking for an image of Lex and Lois's wedding online, I stumbled across these sets of photos (let's hope they both show):

[Linked Image]
Lex and Lois.

[Linked Image]
Lex and Arianna.

The first thing I noticed was the bow tie was the same; then the trellis, the bouquet, and lastly the dress. You'd think that would be something that Jimmy would have noticed too. wink Maybe Arianna only *thought* she had married Lex and doctored the photo to make it seem like it was so.

I also noticed that Ari and Lex's wedding date was almost identical to Lois and Clark's final one (which I believe was Oct. 6th).

VirginiaR.
---
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
While looking for an image of Lex and Lois's wedding online, I stumbled across these sets of photos (let's hope they both show):

[Linked Image]
Lex and Lois.

[Linked Image]
Lex and Arianna.

The first thing I noticed was the bow tie was the same; then the trellis, the bouquet, and lastly the dress. You'd think that would be something that Jimmy would have noticed too. wink Maybe Arianna only *thought* she had married Lex and doctored the photo to make it seem like it was so.

I also noticed that Ari and Lex's wedding date was almost identical to Lois and Clark's final one (which I believe was Oct. 6th).

Oooooooh, that's all KINDS of awkward freakish. I'm guessing he didn't consult with Asabi for his "most auspicious" day for getting married (it's based on the birthdate, time and astrology of the two couples for the closest alignment of certain planets for a fruitful and happy marriage).

Also, just trying to imagine Lois as an "identical" replacement for Ari and failing rather badly.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
When I first saw this episode, I was looking forward to how, exactly, they would bring down Lex Luthor.

Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why is the third-richest man in the world running a bunch of local protection rackets? Who is this woman who was introduced in the last two episodes, and why does she give away all of his secrets?

I think I have an answer.

And it goes back to the production of the episode.

Nigel St. John has been there since the third episode.

In the second season, Nigel St. John comments that betraying Lex Luthor "is what I'm best at."

Look at Nigel St. John's face when Lex Luthor tells him he's in love with Lois Lane. Look at it.

Now imagine Nigel St. John in Mrs. Cox's place at the end of the episode, holding up his handcuffed hands.

In case it isn't obvious by now, I am implying that Nigel was gay, he had his eyes set on Luthor, and that when Luthor decided to marry Lois Lane...

Nigel St. John was going to betray Lex Luthor.

That's how I see it, anyway. Anyone else have an opinion?

(I also believe, for various reasons, that Lex Luthor was going to have faked his own death, that further appearances by Lex Luthor were replaced with his son and Tempus, and that Supergirl might've been in the works.)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome to the boards, CasWarner. wave

Originally Posted by CasWarner
In the second season, Nigel St. John comments that betraying Lex Luthor "is what I'm best at."

Look at Nigel St. John's face when Lex Luthor tells him he's in love with Lois Lane. Look at it.

Now imagine Nigel St. John in Mrs. Cox's place at the end of the episode, holding up his handcuffed hands.

In case it isn't obvious by now, I am implying that Nigel was gay, he had his eyes set on Luthor, and that when Luthor decided to marry Lois Lane...

Nigel St. John was going to betray Lex Luthor.

That's how I see it, anyway. Anyone else have an opinion?
I'll definitely check that out the next time I watch that episode. (Are you referring to the scene at the end of Pheromone, My Lovely, when Lex is throwing money into the fire?) Being gay on TV in the 1990s was very risque (and usually only played for laughs) and something LnC wouldn't have tackled overtly as a show might do nowadays. This would be an interesting twist. Does anyone know if this was ever tackled in fanfic?

I also believe, for various reasons, that Lex Luthor was going to have faked his own death, that further appearances by Lex Luthor were replaced with his son and Tempus, and that Supergirl might've been in the works.
It's rumored that John Shea didn't want to continue as a series regular in S2, which is why Lex was "killed" off and only guest starred in S2 & S3. (You'd think that the writers who made Lex create a clone of Superman would have been smart enough to have him create one of himself for just such emergencies, but NO, they want us to believe that he survived a 101 story fall. Ha! A man flying is more believable that that.) It's also rumored that he was supposed to come back for Soul Mates, but that (for some reason, conflict of schedule or whatnot) couldn't. Although, I'm not too disappointed by the inclusion of more Tempus episodes, myself, because I'm a big fan of Mr. Sarcasm. smile

I haven't heard anything about Supergirl. Are you guessing that Kara is the baby at the end of S4? Hmmmm. That sounds plausible.

VirginiaR.
---
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
I'll definitely check that out the next time I watch that episode. (Are you referring to the scene at the end of Pheromone, My Lovely, when Lex is throwing money into the fire?)
Yes. I've always thought of it in terms of, it's not just "Our little pal is doomed" -- he's hurt.
I haven't heard anything about Supergirl. Are you guessing that Kara is the baby at the end of S4? Hmmmm. That sounds plausible.
I was basing it on my own research into Supergirl. Lois & Clark didn't have very many villains from the comics, so Metallo jumped out at me... and as I started reading Supergirl's earliest appearances, it turns out she started in the second half of Action Comics #252, which also introduced Metallo. It makes me suspect that they found him researching Supergirl. Just a hunch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard