Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ack! Don't stop there!!! You've got me on the edge of my seat. I want to know what happens next. You and your cliffies! [Linked Image]

You had me thinking each time she stopped that it would be the end, and then she got swooped back into the tunnel again. I wondered if Clark would rescue her from falling from the sky. That poor guy in the 1950s. Bet HE has a ghost story worth telling the grandkids. Wouldn't it be funny if it were a young Perry? And then so close to actually meeting him when he first rescued her as a child.

You had to taunt us with that scene where an old Clark invades the party and dies in Lois's arms. clap Classic! Fooled me again. lol

I wonder what Arthur thought seeing her in that old dress. Did she change the past when she stopped Arthur from being hurt? Was she able to stop it from happening? What happened to the old her? Did she still fall into the past? Did she stop that thug from falling into the time tunnel and following her into the past? Oh, so many questions.

How difficult it must have been for Clark to have been in the same time as Lois and know that he couldn't be with her because she hadn't yet met him. hyper I'm so excited about what we'll learn of Clark's life in the next part. This has been such a fun ride.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 09/17/14 12:54 AM. Reason: Fixed Typo

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Woo Hoo! They are both back. Clark is a famous author. He's here for her. Woo Hoo!

The Pulitzer party was a really good red herring. It was basically the opening scene from the movie ... but to have it being a dream ... this means the story can end happily. Yay!

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Starting the day with a smile on my face--priceless.

I was thinking that if Lois was pulled back to her time like time was a stretched rubber band....Maybe Clark's ship would have originally landed in the 1980's except for a little detour to the 1880's, so when he went into the tunnel he would have come out in 1980.

Shallowford
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
“Can you get his autograph?”

“What?”

“My wife loves his books. She’d be thrilled to get one autographed by him.”

The deputy didn’t look old enough to be out of high school, much less be married. Lois was still groggy from waking up with too little sleep and she felt confused.

“Who are you talking about?” Lois asked irritably.

“Clark Kent,” the deputy said. “He’s waiting for you.”
party party

I hadn't recalled the Pulitzer scene, but it's been a LONG time since I've watched it (It's now currently sitting on my Amazon Watchlist waiting to be among the free watch options). I did recall the previous scene a few chapters back that you referenced with them being intimate. I guess it plays a little bit different when the guy has different physical (i.e. sexual) sensibilities than the time period. That Clark Kent is not given to being so forward, makes it even more romantic.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
I guess I am lucky or un-lucky depending on your perspective but I have never seen the movie so I had no preconceived notions of how it was suppose to unfold or unwind so to speak.

My only problem with this part was the jumping around with no clues as to what was really happening vs what was memory. The retching scene did announce the completion of the time jump so that was pretty clear but Pulitzer party and the 'old Clark' confused me as to when that occurred or even if it HAD actually occurred at all. I guess I am just not as sharp as Virginia at picking up where/what is happening. I had to read the comments and re-read the story a couple of times to get the entire timeline and I am still not sure about the Pulitzer party part. I had gotten used to your slower more deliberate pace of the first 17 chapters so when this one blasted into super speed plot mode I was just not ready for it. It seemed to me that this part could have easily been expanded into two parts with more meat in each segment but...

All that said I STILL can't believe you were considering just leaving this story as the first part vignette. This one will be on most Kerth lists at the end of the year I am pretty sure.

One final part where I assume the pace will slow down to get Clark's story. I assume he will have been around in the background waiting for Lois to reach the point in time of "knowing him" sort of super stalking her and keeping her out of trouble surreptitiously.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 09/17/14 12:42 PM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Shane, you're KILLING me! Can you post another part in the next 5 minutes?? AAACK! But I'm totally loving it - can't wait for more. Love the way that Lois got to see herself as a child and Clark rescuing her - ah, makes sense now, right? - and how she realizes that the Lois she is now is so far removed emotionally from pre-time travel Lois.

More please!!! Really am curious about Clark Kent, the famous author and how and when he got to that point in time (no pun intended).
Vicki

The world is made up of three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was a little confused the first time through, too, though “Pulitzer” without specifying what it was for should have been a clue it was a dream.

Also, this:

She’d landed before she left.
made me think she’d landed back in 1912. Reading it again it’s clear she actually got back to her present, but I got confused the first time.

I loved the time travel, and that Lois got to be a “ghost” for the teenager in the 50’s.

Interesting question: if Clark is now a famous author in Lois’s present, why hadn’t she heard of him before leaving? Has history finally been changed (unlike the earlier chapters)? Or is he just a specialized author, popular with some readers but not someone Lois had read?

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If Lois landed before she left, how did she not meet herself? Is this an alternate timeline or her conscience merged with her pre-time travel self? confused I have never seen the movie, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm loving this story.

More, please! hyper

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by Ultra Woman
If Lois landed before she left, how did she not meet herself? Is this an alternate timeline or her conscience merged with her pre-time travel self? confused I have never seen the movie, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm loving this story.

More, please! hyper

Andreia

If I remember correctly the time-related mechanisms of travel here are extremely different than the movie. If I remember correctly the guy had to dress completely for the period with (almost) nothing that would be anachronistic to the time period being travelled to. He left a (modern) penny in his pocket as a "get out of jail free card" and accidentally triggered him returning to the (then) modern era.

Let's just say that the mechanism of travel here (time tunnels) sounds a LOT more plausible.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
This has nothing to do with any thing, but I keep thinking the guy in the Thunderbird was Elvis.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Christina
He left a (modern) penny in his pocket as a "get out of jail free card" and accidentally triggered him returning to the (then) modern era.
I rewatched the movie after Shayne started posting this story. The modern penny was left in his vest pocket by accident.

The time-travel used in the movie was more a form of self-hypnosis. Shayne's time tunnel theory is much more believable. Anyway, there would be no way for Lois to show Clark her iPhone if any modern item sent her spiraling forward in time.

Originally Posted by Shallowford
I was thinking that if Lois was pulled back to her time like time was a stretched rubber band....Maybe Clark's ship would have originally landed in the 1980's except for a little detour to the 1880's, so when he went into the tunnel he would have come out in 1980.
clap I love this theory. Brilliant! notworthy

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally Posted by Christina
He left a (modern) penny in his pocket as a "get out of jail free card" and accidentally triggered him returning to the (then) modern era.
I rewatched the movie after Shayne started posting this story. The modern penny was left in his vest pocket by accident.

The time-travel used in the movie was more a form of self-hypnosis. Shayne's time tunnel theory is much more believable. Anyway, there would be no way for Lois to show Clark her iPhone if any modern item sent her spiraling forward in time.

Originally Posted by Shallowford
clap I love this theory. Brilliant! notworthy

My initial reaction to her pulling out the phone did make me sigh in relief at Shayne's time travel mechanism.

Kerth
Kerth
Ack! *refresh* *refresh* Where's the next part? *refresh* *refresh*
wildguy Get back here! I'm on the edge of my seat...desperately wanting the next part, but also NOT wanting it because I know this story is going to end soon. Nooooo....it's too good...

Originally Posted by Mike M
I STILL can't believe you were considering just leaving this story as the first part vignette. This one will be on most Kerth lists at the end of the year I am pretty sure.

Yeah, come on, what were you thinking?! lol This story is awesome.

*refresh* Darn it!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Clark Kent,” the deputy said. “He’s waiting for you.”

Great, great, great closing line!

We know that they are meant to be together.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard