Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This story surprised me at many turns and always kept me on the edge of my seat. The characterizations were spot on accurate and telling of how a lack of communication can sometimes harm an otherwise healthy relationship. I could empathize with both of their fears.

I did wonder at the end what the tv show that inspired it was. It sounds as if it really dragged out this plot point over many weeks to the point of torture.

Beautifully written.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, this was beautifully written. I particularly enjoyed the mood, and can't say it better than this post from the original feedback thread :
Originally Posted by ChiefPam
I liked the weather thing, too... really started noticing it on my second or third time through this (beta-reading). Check this out:

At the start, Lois and Clark are both unhappy, and not talking to each other about it; the situation is tense and uncomfortable, just like the heat wave. There are some clouds in the sky, but nothing's happened yet. L&C go for a walk, finally start talking, reach an understanding... and it starts raining. They go back to the house; it's still cloudy out, and they still have a few things left to talk about... and then at the very end, when L&C have resolved everything and are happy, we see the sun emerging from the clouds. I just think that's really cool smile

PJ

I can't say it better than that! Structurally, it's an excellent piece of writing! thumbsup

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I did wonder at the end what the tv show that inspired it was. It sounds as if it really dragged out this plot point over many weeks to the point of torture.

Me, too! I shall start off the random speculation. laugh My guess will be Roswell - it aired around when this story was written, it was also sci-fi (so maybe something the author might also have watched), and it had a pregnancy drawn out over the course of several episodes just to add unnecessary drama and pull characters apart.

Or maybe I'm just still bitter at what happened to Roswell after the first season. razz

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
I totally agree with Virginia about the characterizations. Both characters fit the canon Lois and Clark perfectly. Lois not believing that Clark will want to have anything to do with her once he finds that she is pregnant and Clark believing that Lois has tired of the Superman impact on their lives after only a few short months. Canon Lois never believed anyone would/could love her for just herself and Clark never believed anyone could accept him accessories and all. Both failing to communicate and just stewing rather than facing the issues head on. Spot on to canon Lois and Clark. Once they began talking though everything opens up and falls perfectly into place.

I loved the way the story played out and how Kathy allowed them to work it out among themselves instead of inserting Martha and Jonathan into the mix as many other authors have done. I did enjoy the coordination of the emotional play and weather also.

I read this story a while back and really liked the way it worked and why it worked. I guess this is probably why I nominated the story. I really find stories where the characters stray very far from canon to either not hold my interest or I actually actively dislike them and I almost never re-read them. Stories like this one I can read and re-read frequently and still get a lift from them.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Features Writer
Features Writer
one of my favorites by one of my favorite authors, Kathy Brown has written a whole episode of LNC that I know I would have loved to watch.

Last edited by shimauma; 09/15/14 11:10 PM.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Neatly done story with an amazing amount of tension between two people who are normally so close. The damage from Lois' parents marriage is still being felt.

Communication is the lifeblood of any relationship. Once that ends, uncomfortable days like the one they just experienced happen.

Thank goodness Clark had the ring!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hi Fanfic Club Readers. smile I know this thread was from a few months ago, but hopefully you won't mind me chiming in to answer the question a couple of you asked about what other show's storyline inspired this one. smile

(And thanks for picking this story as your discussion for September and for the wonderful compliments. I happened to be poking around on the boards this evening, just clicking around and seeing what people were chatting about, so imagine my surprise and delight when I skimmed the last few months of book club threads and saw one of my stories listed! :))

To answer your question, the show that inspired "Into Each Life" was actually NYPD Blue, not Roswell (which I've never seen). Google tells me it was the 9th season, which aired in 2002, the year before I submitted this story. My memory is sketchy on the details after all this time, but in a nutshell (and a little help from Wiki): Two of the characters were in a relatively new relationship when the woman learned she was pregnant. The man offered his help, but she blew him off -- they hadn't been together that long, it didn't have to be his problem, etc. Painful, awkward conversations ensued (or didn't when they should have). Eventually she miscarried, solving the problem ... except he later learned she had visited an abortion clinic (for counseling, she insisted) and accused her of lying to him about the miscarriage. Cue ugly fighting ... and my head exploding all over my living room. I kept ranting, "This is horrible! Lois and Clark would never behave like this!!!" and thus this story was born. sloppy

So now you know! smile And thanks again for the great feedback. Though it's very hard to choose just one, I must admit that "Into Each Life" may be my favorite of all the shorter stories I wrote for L&C (with Momentum 1&2 my favorite longer ones) so yay! smile1

Kathy

Last edited by KathyB; 12/05/14 10:34 PM.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard