Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257647 08/21/14 05:05 PM
Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I had been wandering through Pam's old site recently (I do that from time to time) reading a lot of her stuff that was never archived and a couple of days ago I tried to pull it up and found the site dead grumble. Now that was a lot of unarchived content lost (Pam probably has it somewhere) but OK, I moved on. Today I went back to read a couple more episodes of the unaired Seasons 5 and 6 and crap they were also on Geocities at least the link in the Archives link section is to GeoCities. Now I am annoyed as I had not finished Season 6 yet (did not realize there was an urgency there). Then I found the really useful Series Guide for Nan Smith was dead as it was also on Geocities. I have not really spent a lot of time checking what else has died but...

Is this stuff any place else. Sometimes I pull content off to have a copy of it myself and feel somewhat bad about it but with the old sites shutting down (half of the links in the archive links page are dead) I guess I should not feel that bad. I understand that this is the perils of using free web hosting because at some time the free goes away and you really can't complain because you weren't paying for it anyway...

Any suggestions? Comments? Crying cry ?

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Mike M Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I found an old thread from 09 regarding this subject. Did anyone ever get the Season 5 & 6 stuff off Geocities? The thread seem end with no decision. Even though Geocities claimed they were shutting down in 09 they were alive until this month evidently.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Season 5

Season 6

The Unaired Fifth Season

Geocities has been dead for a long time (though there's something called Reocities), but thanks to archive.org, a lot of stuff can be resurrected.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
You could try the Wayback machine available at archive.org.You can see earlier versions of the site there.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've asked Lauren to investigate if there's something we can do to ensure this content can be accessed from the Archive. Also trying to arrange something with Pam to safely archive her work.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 08/22/14 01:29 PM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I made a suggestion to Pam.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Mike M mentioned Season 5 and 6. Does anybody know if it's still possible to get a copy of Season 5 Episode 19 Charity Begins At Home by Sandy McDermin? It has been so many years since Season 5 was posted. I'll appreciate any help.

KateB
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by KateB
Mike M mentioned Season 5 and 6. Does anybody know if it's still possible to get a copy of Season 5 Episode 19 Charity Begins At Home by Sandy McDermin? It has been so many years since Season 5 was posted. I'll appreciate any help.
I usually just download these onto my Nook from the S5 & S6 Wiki. According to that page, it says that you have to contact Sandy McDermin directly to get a copy of that story. frown

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think a good alternative to Geocities is Google. Everyone who has a Gmail address also has access to other free Google features, such as Sites pages (sites.google.com) and Google Blogger blogs (blogger.com). Author series guides and more could easily be hosted on either the wiki-like sites pages or a blog.

I'd forgotten that a few years back back I tested both using the archive Gmail account login. And I forgot I'd copied over Pam's series guide for Nan's stories as a test.

Here are links to both if you want to take a look:

The Sites page (with an old version of Nan's Series Guide)
The blog

If you create a guide you'd like us to link to, please let us know!

Lauren

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Here are links to both if you want to take a look:

The Sites page (with an old version of Nan's Series Guide)
The blog

Is there some way that you could put these links at the Nan Smith section of the LC Fanfic Archive?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I ran a webcrawler on parts of Geocities that I had fanfics bookmarked at before it went away. If you know the address I can check if I have a copy.

Last edited by dcarson; 09/05/14 10:00 PM.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
IolantheAlias wrote

Is there some way that you could put these links at the Nan Smith section of the LC Fanfic Archive?

If Pam gives us permission, we'd be happy to. Or if Pam has posted it somewhere else, we could link to it. Anne mentioned she'd made a suggestion to Pam.

LaurenW

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have almost all of Season 5 and Season 6 as well as the Unfinished Fifth Season in my personal archive. hyper dance party

If someone wants copies to upload to an archive, I have them available. thumbsup

I actually have all of the stories in two formats: evil

TXT format as downloaded wallbash
and
Word with added formatting and graphics. peep

Edit: In going over my files I find that I am missing Episode 19 of Season 5. If anyone has it they can e-mail it to me, my e-mail address is in all of my story posts.. Also I have episodes 1 - 14 of season 6. If it went beyond that, I can't help you.

I have started compiling and formatting the files into single documents and will be producing epub and mobi files of the three seasons for anyone interested. hyper dance party

Last edited by KenJ; 09/16/14 03:47 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If someone knows the title of episode 19 of season 5, please post it. I may have the file filed under its name without the identifiers I add.

Last edited by KenJ; 09/30/14 04:25 PM.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks to Pat I now have the final episode. I will be compiling the three seasons - TUFS, Season 5 and Season 6 into epub and mobi. Anyone wishing these can drop me a note - PM or Email and I will send them out. Please specify - mobi for Kindle or epub for other.

Last edited by KenJ; 09/30/14 04:25 PM.

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The three sets -

Season 5 dance
Season 6 dance dance
and
The Unaired Fifth Season party

have all been reconstituted, combined into three separate files and converted to epub and mobi formats. clap

I have provided the files to the appropriate individual for upload and it should be done sometime in the near future. thumbsup

If you just can't wait or you do not have an e-reader you can drop me a line and I can send the file by reply mail. I can provide: .doc, html (To open in your browser), epub (for non-Kindle) and mobi (for Kindle) formats. dizzy

Anyone requesting the files will also receive a copy of the compilation of the 2014 Kerth Winners in the same format. shock

Last edited by KenJ; 09/30/14 04:27 PM.

kj

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard