All Shook Up - Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

In this particular story a lot of the dialogue is taken from the script text. I wish to express my thanks to my Beta readers Artemis and Ray Reynolds for their invaluable help. This was a VERY rough draft when it first landed in their hands.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously

Surprised by this request, Professor Daitch stepped aside and said, “I thought you had enhanced visual capabilities.”

With a small chuckle, Superman stepped up to the eyepiece and as he started looking through the telescope replied, “I do, but I have my limits too.”

When Superman looked through the lens he saw what looked like a small globe, however it didn’t have continents and oceans. It also didn’t look like the moon or any other celestial body he was familiar with. He asked, “What am I looking at Professor?”

“Oh, that’s 4581 Asclepius. It’s a relatively small NEA or Near Earth Asteroid. I was hoping that by studying that I could develop some ideas on how to handle ‘Nightfall’.”

Stepping away from the eyepiece, Superman asked, “It’s *not* Nightfall?”

“Uh, no. Nightfall is on the sunward side of the planet. We’re facing away from it right now. That is why I was studying 4581 Asclepius. I do have some slides that I took earlier today.”

Professor Daitch led Superman over to a desk with a computer setup. After bringing the computer up he called up the pictures. “These are Nightfall. Note the umbra … these were taken during the eclipse that it caused. We only have an optical device available here. With the sun behind the object we can’t see any detail.” A note of envy crept into his voice as he continued, “We’ve been in contact with a radio-telescope facility and they have sent us some detailed images.” He called up a different set of pictures.

Superman asked, “Is it a difference in magnification or is this object … larger?”

“You’re right, Superman, it isn’t an optical illusion or a difference in magnification. This object is much larger. It’s approximately seventeen miles in diameter.”

Superman let out a low whistle before he said, “Fascinating what kind of surprises the universe can turn up, isn't it?”

Daitch said, “Yes, I have to agree with you, Superman. Seventeen miles and travelling at close to thirty-thousand miles per hour.”

Superman looked away from the monitor where he had been studying the object and facing Daitch asked, “You told Kent and the other reporters as much at the news conference. Why am I here?”

Directing Superman’s attention back to the monitor, Daitch called up a program. A computer animation began to play and as it did they were distracted by a stylized, digital countdown on a big screen, next to the one showing the animation, complete with the EPRAD space logo which popped into existence. The clock read the hours, minutes and seconds as they counted down. Turning back to the animation, they watched as a marble sized object approached a baseball sized object and then … impact. Daitch said, “The large sphere represents the Earth. The smaller on represents ‘Nightfall.’ If my calculations are correct, in a little over four days, it's going to hit the Earth.” He indicated the countdown clock and then continued, “The sky, literally, is falling.”

Grasping the seriousness of the situation, Superman asked, “What kind of damage could that cause?”

Daitch said, “Okay, I see you’ve grasped the gravity of the situation and want to cut right to the chase. You’re right, there’s no time to beat around the bush. Superman, this could knock the Earth off its axis. Even throw us out of our current solar orbit. Depending on the angle of impact it could accelerate or retard the Earth’s orbital speed. A slight increase and we would move farther out, possibly to a point where all of the water on the earth would freeze. A slight decrease and we would move closer to the sun and all of the water could evaporate. The tolerances are very slim either way. This is *far* larger than the meteor that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. Even if it doesn’t disturb the Earth’s orbit, the ejecta from the impact crater alone will throw enough dust into the air to start a new ice age.” Professor Daitch paused as he saw Superman’s brow furrow. Then he resumed, “I know it’s a lot to get used to.”

But Superman’s brow had furrowed because he had heard a soft sound. Checking to see what had caused it he had used his x-ray vision to look through a door. When he did he saw two men. One was a somewhat portly older man who wore a business suit. The other a distinguished looking black man in an Air Force blue dress uniform which had several rows of ribbons representing medals over his left breast pocket over them was a set of flight wings and a row of four stars lined his shoulder epaulettes.

Superman held up his hand and said, “No, it’s not that. We’re not alone.” Turning toward the nearby door, Superman said, “Might as well come out, gentlemen. I know you're there.”

In response to his invitation the door opened and the two men he had seen came into the observatory and approached Superman and Daitch.

The officer spoke first, “Superman, my apologies. We felt you should hear the news from Professor Daitch before we were introduced.” He extended a hand to shake Superman’s as he performed the introductions, “I'm General Robert Zeitlin. This is Secretary John Cosgrove.”

There were formal handshakes all around.

Superman assumed that they were here to tell him that the government was going to keep a lid on this information and said, “You can’t keep this secret.”

Secretary Cosgrove spoke up, “The President will tell the public, but he wants to avoid panic, too. He simply wants to get you on board before making an announcement.”

Superman asked, “I take it this means that you agree with the professor’s calculations.”

General Zeitlin replied, “Yes. But, unfortunately with something this size, there is no military option. We're looking into modifying a rocket but, at best, it would be a fifty-fifty proposition.”

Secretary Cosgrove hastened to add, “We need to improve those odds. The country needs your help, Superman. In point of fact the world needs you.”

Superman maintained his outward calm although inside his emotions were running wild. He said, “Of course. But you're asking me to fly a million miles into space to stop a piece of rock the size of Metropolis that's travelling faster than any spacecraft we've ever made.”

This answer worried Cosgrove. He asked, “Can you?”

Superman considered his answer and finally had to say, “I don’t know.”

Zeitlin was serious when he said, “You’re our only hope.”

Turning to Daitch and referring back to his earlier comment, Superman said, “I guess we’re about to find out what my limits really are.”

And now:

Chapter 3

Superman gave them permission to notify the President that he would commit to the mission and that they could begin the preparations before he excused himself.

His mood was very introspective as he flew back to the Planet. He landed on the roof and spun back into his work clothes before descending the stairs back to the newsroom floor. When he exited the stairwell he looked for Lois, finally spotting her in Perry’s office. Lois was standing in front of Perry’s desk as he approached. Clark knocked and without looking up, Perry waved him in.

He was stone faced and Lois was chewing on her lower lip apprehensively while he read their copy. She had finished what Clark had started and submitted it.

Finally Perry looked up and smiled.

Lois released the breath she had been holding in relief.

Perry said, “If Elvis had gone into the newspaper business, he would have written like this. It simply … sings! It has that Lane and Kent touch. It’s unmistakable.”

Lois looked at her watch and said, “Fifteen minutes to spare.”

Perry was happy. He said, “I tell you, when the Planet's running, you can't stop it ...”

Clark leaned down to Lois’s ear and whispered, “We need to talk.”

Lois nodded and said to Perry, “Chief, if that’s all, we’re going to get out of here.”

He was reaching for the phone to call composing and said, “That’s fine. See you tomorrow.”

Clark said, “Goodnight, Chief,” and closed the door as they exited.

His apparent calm deserted him as soon as the door was closed. Lois spotted it and asked, “What is it?”

Looking around, Clark noted a number of staffers milling around, he said, “Not here. Let’s go home.”

Picking up on his concern, Lois hastily packed her bag and grabbed her jacket. As soon as she was ready, Clark hustled her into the elevator and they were on their way to the garage. Clark was quiet the entire way home and Lois knew better than to quiz him and even though it galled her to have to wait, she held her peace until they were in the door of the apartment.

As soon as the door was closed behind them, Lois dropped her bag and turned on Clark. She was about to ask him what was happening when he grabbed her and pulled her into a hug. She didn’t know how, but she could feel the desperation in the move and it worried her. Her arms tightened reflexively around him as she finally asked, “Clark, what’s going on? It’s the asteroid, isn’t it?”

Mutely he just nodded in reply.

“It’s worse than we thought, isn’t it?”

Another nod.

Worried now, Lois asked, “How bad?”

He finally released her and answered her in a single word, “Doomsday.”

Lois gasped. Her incredulity was evident as she said, “How?”

He took her hand and led her over to the sofa. Once she was seated he sat next to her and said, “The Nightfall asteroid is seventeen miles across and it is on a path that will cause it to collide with the Earth.”

“How soon?”

“A little over four days.”

“What are they doing? Are they going to launch …”

“There’s not enough time and they don’t have the resources.”

“Then, what …”

“That’s why they wanted to see Superman. They’ve asked me to intervene.”

Shocked, she grabbed him and blurted out, “How? That’s too big. You can’t do it. I won’t let you. It would kill you!”

Gently he took her hands in his and said, “Lois … I have to. Don’t you see? If I don’t do this everyone on Earth will die. You’ll die. I could never live without you. I have to do this so that YOU will live, even if it kills me.”

Lois was weeping openly by the time he finished his statement. Clark pulled her into an embrace and smoothed his hands along her back to comfort her as he said, “Lois, it’ll work out, believe me. Just think. It has to work out. You have memories of our married life, together. Our baby. I have to come back to you. We both have to live in order for that to happen.”

Lois sniffed a couple of times as the realization of what he was saying penetrated her fear. Finally she wiped her eyes and said, “Yeah, you’re right. It has to work out. I was so scared for you.”

Clark smiled and said, “So was I, until I thought of that. I can’t let that make me over-confident however. Remember, you could already be pregnant and we wouldn’t know it yet which means you could still have our baby without me being around.”

Lois corrected him, “No, that’s not how I remember it. You were there.”

“Okay, there, you see. Somehow it’ll all work out. Now, we have to work on a Superman interview.”

Lois perked up and grabbed her bag. Reaching in she pulled out her notepad and pencil. “Okay, shoot.”

As soon as Lois had everything written they started typing it up. Within a few minutes they had the new article prepared and e-mailed it to Perry.

Perry heard the beep of an incoming e-mail and almost ignored it because he was putting the finishing touches on the layout of the current edition. Finally his curiosity got the better of him and he checked. The more he read the more excited he became. He hit the print command and grabbed the phone. He hit a couple of buttons. When it was picked up at the other end he shouted, “Stop the presses!”

When the special edition of the Daily Planet hit the streets it had a forty-eight point headline:
PANIC IN THE SKY!: Superman To The Rescue.
By Lois Lane and Clark Kent

“In an exclusive interview with Superman he confirmed that at the request of the President he will be flying into space to do battle with a seventeen mile wide asteroid that threatens the Earth. This ‘Killer’ asteroid had been named ‘Nightfall.’ …” Story continues 2A

As the paper hit the streets, Clark was in his Superman Suit and Lois was with him. They were both at the EPRAD Center and Lois was there to report on Superman’s departure.

Lois had managed to find a secluded area away from the rest of the newshounds so that she and Clark could have a few final words together.

They were both speaking in very low tones.

Looking up at him she asked, “How are you feeling?”

His reply was succinct, “Confident. This is going to work.”

“I wish I was as confident as you, memories notwithstanding.”

“Lois, how are you feeling?”

“I’m scared enough for both of us.”

In a very familiar gesture, Superman cupped her cheek with his hand and looked deeply into her eyes. He tried to reassure her by saying, “I’ll be back. I want to see our baby.”

“I need you. Come back to me.”

“I will. Count on it. Nothing can keep us apart, not even a seventeen mile wide asteroid.” He looked around. There was a cluster of military officers, government types and scientists, including Daitch, Cosgrove and Zeitlin a short way off. Most of the rest of the media were behind a barrier a short distance off.

For the benefit of the media a monitor had been set up to show the countdown clock. It now read 83:37:21, and it was counting down.

Seeing the clock, Superman said, “I’ve got to go.”

Lois said, “Good Luck,” and then impulsively threw her arms around his neck and kissed him, deeply. As she broke the kiss, she whispered in his ear, “If you don’t come back to me, I’ll never forgive you.”

He smiled and whispered back, “I’ll always come back to you, my love. One way or another.”

Neither of them realized that the kiss had been televised. Fortunately, their faces were not visible to the cameras so not even a lip reader could tell what was being said.

In his residence, Lex Luthor started chortling. “Ahh, my lovely. Another example of your dalliance with Superman while married to Kent.” He pushed a button to eject the tape he had been using to record the momentous event. “A few more like this and perhaps Kent will see that Lois is being untrue to him and he will divorce her.”

When Lois finally released Superman, he strode over to the scientists. She watched with concern as several technicians prepared Superman for his mission.

General Zeitlin stepped over to him and gestured to some of the equipment, “Frankly, Superman, you have presented us with some unique problems. We are used to outfitting astronauts. Because of your superpowers you won’t need the bulky spacesuit that we used for the space shots and moon walks. I don’t know if that will be a problem or not.

A technician handed Superman an elastic band and said, “Clip this band around your neck, Superman. The microphone will pick up the vibrations from your vocal chords and convert them to sound. As you know, sound does not travel through a vacuum. This ear bud will sit in your ear and the vibrations of the incoming transmission will be converted to sound in your ear the same way. If you were wearing a space suit it would all be internal. Everything you say will automatically be relayed by satellite link and received by EPRAD.”

The technicians attached a belt around his waist on which were a couple of cylinders.

As he did professor Daitch explained, “We're assuming you'll be out there longer than the twenty minutes you say you can hold your breath. The cylinders look small, but they contain a highly compressed oxygen supply. By giving you pure oxygen we were able to reduce the cylinders size. Since the Earth’s atmosphere is only about sixteen percent oxygen we were able to use tanks one sixteenth the size we would have used otherwise. You have enough oxygen there for about six hours. The mask is like a first-responder mask. It should fit snugly and only cover your nose and mouth. That way your vision and vision powers will be unhindered.”

Superman wrapped the band around his neck and said, “Testing. Testing.”

He got a thumbs-up from a technician at a console on the side. Then he heard, “Test, one, two, three,” in his ear and signaled the tech that he had heard him.

Turning to Daitch he said, “I’ll have to moderate my speed until I’m out of the atmosphere because of all this equipment, but then I’ll be able to accelerate so getting there fast won’t be a problem.”

Before he put on the mask, General Zeitlin stepped up and said, “Superman, I want to offer you the tactical nuclear option one more time. You'd simply be acting as our delivery system.”

Superman shook his head in the negative, “Thanks to the information gathered by the radio telescope the EPRAD science team has given me a clear indication of the asteroid's structural weak point If I hit it at maximum speed, it's their opinion I'll achieve a non-nuclear fifty-megaton explosive force. I think we should try that first and not risk the fallout. Because of the trajectory of the asteroid the Earth’s orbit would take it right through the cloud that would be created.”

General Zeitlin nodded. He saw a limousine arrive. He stood back, erect, and saluted.

Secretary Cosgrove said, “He's here.”

As he was saying this a silver-haired man got out of the limo and move toward Superman. Seeing him, Superman realized that it was the President.

Stepping up to him, the president extended his hand to Superman and said as they shook hands, “Superman, it takes commitment and courage to accept this responsibility. I know I speak for my fellow Americans, but I also think I speak for the entire world, when I say thank you and God bless you.”

Superman smiled gravely as he said, “I'll do my best.” Then he turned to the crowd and said, “I think everybody should stand back … now. “

With a soft whoosh, Superman took to the sky, accelerating slowly as he adjusted his mask.

Everyone stared after him as he gained altitude.

Lois was among those watching him leave and she muttered to herself, “Come back to me, Clark. I wouldn’t want to live without you in my life anymore.”

Lois hurried back to her Jeep and at near break-neck speed headed back to the Planet. She listened to the live feed from EPRAD as she drove.

“Mission control to Superman. Do you read us, Superman?”

“I read you loud and clear.”

“Superman, we are tracking you and you are on course, but your speed isn’t what it should be.”

“Mission control, I’m using orbital mechanics. Once I left the atmosphere I accelerated just enough to leave Earth’s gravity well. There is no need for me to continue to use my flight power at this point. I can conserve my energy and coast to the interception point. Once I have visual acquisition, I will then accelerate to maximum and drive in.”

Lois said to the radio, “That’s smart, Clark. Save your energy.”

“Superman, EPRAD control, we estimate that it will take you a little over three and a half hours to arrive at the intercept point at your current velocity. You may not have enough reserve oxygen for the return trip.”

“Control, that is what I would guess. Thanks for the confirmation. The return trip will be faster since I will be entering Earth’s gravity well.”

“Superman, Control, will you have enough distance to achieve maximum velocity?”

“I need to be close before I put on speed. If I go too fast I will change my orbital characteristics and miss the target.”

“Understood. We will monitor.”

Lois had time to make it all the way back to the Planet before interception and she along with everyone else there was staring at the TV in the newsroom watching the coverage from EPRAD Headquarters.

There was a full screen graphic that reads, “SUPERMAN FOR THE EARTH.”

Suddenly there was a voice-over, “Continuing our special LNN Report: Superman For the Earth -- And now, here is Frank Madison at EPRAD Command and Control.”

The graphic faded and was replaced by the image of Frank Madison, the reporter that Lois had shoved Clark into. He started speaking, “Several hours ago, Superman said his final goodbyes to the crowd. He was described as calm, but determined. Witnesses say his last words were to the President -- I'm quoting now -- "I'll do my best.' And with that he took off, gaining speed as he rose into the sky. And this time the entire world was watching.”

Suddenly the screen switched to a montage from around the world. The banner headlines of many papers in as many languages flashed across the screen and over that was heard JAPANESE, SPANISH, SHONA, and RUSSIAN in voice over. The only word common in all the broadcasts was "Superman."

All eyes remained glued to the TV. The people in the newsroom hardly dared to breathe.

The graphic across the bottom of the screen was the count-down clock and it read, 79:56:17 when Madison put his finger to his ear to seat the earphone he was wearing more securely. Then he started to speak, “I'm being told we have a transmission from Superman. Let's take that 'live' feed, direct from mission control.”

The screen switched back to the SUPERMAN FOR EARTH graphic. The count-down timer was still at the bottom and suddenly a Chiron appeared which said, “Voice of Superman” and his somewhat distorted voice came from the set. “I can see it now. In fact, it’s hard to see anything else. It’s immense.”

The feed from EPRAD switched from the graphic to a tracking monitor. There was a large blob in the center of the screen and a small dot was approaching it from the side.

Then the voice of ground control cut in, “Roger, Superman. We copy you on the ground. Do you have stress point acquisition in visual?”

Superman replied, “Yes, I do.”

Ground control replied, “Stand by for final briefing procedure.”

Even though it was somewhat distorted, Superman’s voice was calm and confident as he replied, “I know what I have to do.”

Ground control replied, “Superman, you're cleared for initiation on your cue.” There was a brief pause and then ground control was back, “And there's a lot of people here who want you to know you're the best friend Earth's ever had.”

Superman’s reply was short, “Thanks. Well, here I go.”

Lois winced. Even though she knew what her memory contained, she was scared.

The next thing they heard was Superman, “I look like an ant next to this. I'm going as fast as I've ever gone before, actually maybe faster.”

Superman came back on with a count-down, “Ground control, Superman, impact in five, Here goes, four, three, friends. two...”

Ground control announced, “Impact! The asteroid has been shattered into pieces. We’ve lost track of Superman.”

They apparently try to cut to Superman, but when they do all they got was loud static.

“Ground control to Superman. Come in Superman.”

Again there was static.

“Superman this is Ground control. If you can respond, please do. Come in Superman.”

More static.

Ground control came back on, “This is EPRAD ground control, we have lost all communication with Superman.”

All eyes turned toward Lois. They all knew how close she and Clark were to the superhero and they all hoped that she would be able to answer the question that was on everyone’s mind, “Is he still alive and will he come back?” But Lois didn’t have any answer. All she could think to say was, “His mic went out, that’s all.” But her words were unconvincing, even to herself. Fortunately, Perry White was standing next to her and when, as she finished speaking she started to collapse he caught her. With her hands covering her face she allowed Perry to escort her to his office.

All of the Planet staffers were reacting with shock at the loss of contact, but none as much as Lois.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/17/14 11:59 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj