Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Hello,

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I have a feeling it will have!), but I've just always felt that Perry and Jimmy figured it out during the show...Perry first (possibly before Lois) and then Jimmy, but I can't pinpoint when I think they figure it out.

Does anyone else think they both figured it out?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have had always suspected that Perry found out at some time, which was the topic of my story: The Yodeler's Song. Female Hawk also thought so in her last year story: One Small Detail. Someone else (although, I forget who) suggested that Perry had to have known after Lois went undercover as Superman's concubine during the NK arc. It was just too much of a coincidence with Nor's faction attacking Smallville and all.

Jimmy, on the other hand, always seemed blissfully unaware of anything going around himself. Much to our amusement. smile Although, KatherineKent set up a great 'what if' scenario where he could find out in Seen Through a Glass Window. I've also had Jimmy discover the truth, but it was in one of my...cough... longer fics, but at that point he's older and hopefully, wise enough to handle it. Oh, wait. Perry finds out in that story, too. whistle

It always seemed more likely that Cat Grant knew than Jimmy. (Rewatch S1 with that in mind and you'll see what I mean). Also, it explains why she disappears at the end of the season. Those who find out are never allowed to survive. wink Lois Lane Fan had Cat piece together some details in Galactically Stupid, and I have Cat find out in another one of my... cough... longer fics. /note to self: write more short stories./

BTW, I love your avatar! thumbsup

Last edited by VirginiaR; 07/15/14 05:46 PM.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thank you laugh

I've got a theory that Perry knew much earlier than anyone...possibly before the end of season one...I thinking of doing a fic to explore that possibility.

I think Perry would have the sense to know that revealing Superman's true identity wouldn't necessarily be in the public interest, and that keeping the secret might work out to be a coup in the future when the Secret is finally found out (ie. allowing Lois and Clark to use the Planet as a platform for telling the world when the time is right).

Jimmy I think is a little more clued in than we realise, and I'm also thinking of doing a fic showing why I think he figured it out...I'm thinking that by the time Virtually Destroyed happened that Jimmy was well adjusted to knowing the secret, hence why he didn't seem shocked to see 'Clark' sans glasses.

I don't know if Cat knew or not...I think I'd need to rewatch season 1 and pay a bit more attention to her!

One person in season 1 that I definitely think knew was Jack...especially after getting held hostage by Chakotay (I'm sorry I can't see Robert Beltran as anyone other than his Star Trek character!)...his 'crazy' comment sold me on the idea of him figuring it all out, but to be honest Clark kinda made a fudge of hiding the secret from him!

Last edited by sueKay87; 07/17/14 07:45 AM.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally Posted by sueKay87
One person in season 1 that I definitely think knew was Jack...especially after getting held hostage by Chakotay (I'm sorry I can't see Robert Beltran as anyone other than his Star Trek character!)...his 'crazy' comment sold me on the idea of him figuring it all out, but to be honest Clark kinda made a fudge of hiding the secret from him!

I think of him as Chakotay, too, and I barely watched Voyager. It's just so much easier than trying to remember the character's name.

As far as Jack goes, if nothing else tipped him off, it was Clark breaking out of his handcuffs. I really don't see why Clark has such a problem just saying, "I'm not Superman," or whatever the situation calls for. He tells so many other lies constantly that there's no reasonable reason for him to object to lying about that outright. All in all, I'm a bit puzzled why Clark is such a bad liar. He has been acting all his life, pretending to be a normal human and lying about his capabilities, so he should be good at lying about his powers by now.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think Perry knew. In the episode Dead Lois Walking, after Clark breaks her out of prison, he's talking to Perry, who is well-aware that Clark knows where Lois is and says, "I'm assuming I know you, son."

When I saw that episode, I figured he knew.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
I think the moment that sold me on Perry knowing was in Contact when Perry said the following when Lois said she'd been abducted by aliens:

"Now, I don't know what it was, but I know you, and you wouldn't lie... at least to me... most of the time... so forget about the airport story for now; you can turn it in later. Whatever happened, I want you and Clark to get to the bottom of it, okay?"

So Perry knows Lois is lying to him about something and seems remarkable okay about it...Perry the old newshound wouldn't ordinarily let something like that go! smile

Last edited by sueKay87; 07/21/14 07:41 AM.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, Perry knew.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I could never make up my mind about Perry knowing. The scenes suekay87 and Annie B. brought up say "yes," but that scene in We Have A Lot To Talk About where Clark is trying to communicate with Lois, who's under the table with the bomb, makes me think not. Perry -- who, if he Knew, should've realized that something was going on, and think maybe he should leave Clark alone -- just keeps talking/distracting Clark. It makes me think A)Perry didn't know the truth, at least then, or B)He'd been drinking or something(??) He almost got Lois (and himself) killed! I'm willing to accept that he somehow had figured it out by mid-season 3, though I'm not sure what the turning point would've been.

As for Jimmy, I never saw any convincing evidence that he knew. I remember people speculating in season 4 that he must know, but I think it was "AKA Superman" that just made it clear (to me) that he couldn't know... he wouldn't have acted the way he did (letting Penny believe he was Superman) if he had known CK=S. (Or maybe he would have. Jimmy didn't always do the smart thing.)

Jack, definitely. The scene suekay87 mentioned, plus his not-so-subtly asking Clark if Superman could break him out of juvie. Man, I missed Jack in season 2!

Cat's a tougher one. I have a hard time believing she could've kept her mouth shut if she knew the truth... not only because she's a gossip queen, but considering how badly she wanted to get with Clark. I'm wondering if she might have even blackmailed him, had she known his secret. But she was a smart lady, and I do admit to having studied her closely when rewatching late season 1.

Last edited by LNCroxmysox; 08/31/14 02:03 AM.

Molly
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I definitely think Perry figured it out at some point, though I'll need a rewatch to determine when. Sometime in season 3, I'm fairly sure - as was mentioned above, I don't think he knew yet in We Have A Lot To Talk About, but I'm fairly sure he knew by the time Clark left for New Krypton.

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard