Epilogue

A gentle breeze tousled newly sprouted leaves on the trees lining the neighborhood streets. A pleasant spring evening had fallen in the up and coming Nayland section of Metropolis. Despite being in the middle of a bustling city the air smelled sweet with the mingling of spring flowers such as tulips and white lilac blossoms. Several other flowers and plants had been potted and situated in large earthenware pots, adding a welcome dash of color to otherwise dull front steps. The renovated brownstones reigned supreme on Hyperion Avenue. Many of the residents walked slowly home after a long day at work. Parents with young children strolled to the local ice cream shop for a sweet, chilly confectionary as an after dinner treat.

Those buildings claimed as residents some the city’s eager young professional elite. One house in particular was home to the Kent family, the newlyweds had settled into the area so effortlessly that it seemed as if they had lived there for years. Across the street from the Kent home, there was a narrow, dark alley between two townhouses. It was in earlier days a passageway to the carriage houses that were behind the townhomes. These days the alley led to waste receptacles and maintenance sheds. A few scraps of paper and trash lay across the ground, but as if from nowhere a sharp gust of wind whipped up the trash into several mini tornados sending the items down the alley. Only to be replaced by two figures who stood motionless and concealed in the inky, black shadows that stretched like stalactites across the passageway. A weary sigh escaped the man’s lips, than he murmured, “It seems inconceivable that after all this time and distance I cannot move a step further.”

“Cannot? Why speak so?” The petite woman at his side asked, her voice was awash with puzzlement.

The tall man pointed his chin towards the three level structure made of brownish red colored material. “Look at the place where he resides, it is alien to us, but to him is comfortable and inviting. He is contented with …” The strange name came haltingly to his lips, “Lo – is and ignorant of my existence.” He stood thinking for a moment before he continued, “Josca, perhaps it is best he remain so. What good can come of learning his mother is dead and his father is no longer a peaceful scientist?”

Josca shook her head disapprovingly, the long, thick black hair caught in the moonlight moved in waves. “We have discussed this Jor-El …”
Their conversation was interrupted when they saw two young humans walking towards them.

“We can visit Lois and Clark tomorrow. I promised Mr. White I would drop these proofs off at his house. Stacy, do you, uh do you want to come with me? We can get something to eat afterwards. ”

“I … I would like that Jack.”

One side of the young man mouth pulled into a crooked smile, shyly; he took the hand of a pretty dark-haired girl, with stylish glasses. Thus joined, the couple did not walk so much as float up the block, blissfully unaware that the birth father of their friend stood behind them.

The First Lord of New Krypton stepped back further into the shadows. He wanted to avoid detection from any of this planet’s inhabitants. Josca watched the young ones carefully; they were inattentive to everything around them. Including two strangers surrounded by darkness.

Jor-El continued, “He is better off without my interference in his life. If Nor-Ur were still breathing threats and murder, Kal-El would have been a target. Then it would make sense for us to be here, but to suddenly appear in his life after so much time …”

Josca with her newly enhanced senses could see, even in the darkness of the alley, that Jor-El was running slender fingers through his graying hair. Not only was he her husband, but he was the First Lord of her people, a title to be held in honor and respect. Unfortunately even infinite patience such as she possessed could be worn gossamer thin, gently she grabbed Jor-El’s well muscled arm and pulled him towards her. She looked up at him, her large blue-brown eyes sparkling in determination. “Nor-Ur is no longer alive nor is Kal-El in danger any longer! We have placed Trey as provisional head of the government until your return, given our children into the care of good friends and crossed countless light-years of space to meet this lost son of Krypton. Barring any further interference, tonight you *will* be reunited with your son!”

He looked down on her, momentarily startled by the uncharacteristic outburst, suddenly Jor-El’s face broke into what Josca always thought of as a beautiful, heartbreaking smile, “Trey and the late Jen-Mai were wrong, you are *precisely* the woman I need.” With his made firm, he said, “Come wife.” He extended his arm to Josca, which she took immediately by placing her arm upon it, her palm on top of his hand and mindful of the evening traffic, with purposeful strides the couple walked across the street.

Behind the wall of the brownstone, Lois Lane-Kent was completing a very happy phone conversation, “Oh that’s great news! This is the perfect time to visit Paris! Are you kidding? Of course I’ll tell him. Take care!” Lois hung up the phone and went into the kitchen, her lips spread in a wide, cheerful smile. The sweet aromatic scents of fresh garlic, basil and oregano danced through the air. Clark was preparing a colorful, delicious Italian meal, of homemade spinach pasta, yellow and orange peppers and freshly caught shrimp, while their cat Pepper looked on from his perch on top of the gleaming white refrigerator.

Clark continued chopping the flathead parsley and asked without looking up, “You certainly sound happy, who was that?”

“Bernie Klein. We – or rather Superman will have to do without the skills of his ‘physician’ for the next two months.”

Surprised, her husband looked up from the cutting board with a concerned expression on his face. “Why?”

Drawing out the words Lois announced, “It seems he is going to be gone for two months while he gives a series of lectures at the Sorbonne.”

A smile tugged at his lips, he could guess the rest, “Oh? Pray tell, who arranged that?”

“Abrihet!” She shouted with glee.

“Wow,” Clark responded, “It sure looks like Bernie has finally found the right woman. Of course she would reside in Paris – not Chicago or New York. It’s going to be fun to watch this long distance courtship.”

Warming to the conversation his wife said, “Isn’t it fantastic? Bernie has fallen *completely* in love. Springtime is a fabulous time to visit Paris! I intend to put him in touch with a first-rate travel agent, one who can tell him how to rack up frequent flyer miles without breaking the bank.” Lois chortled. “Pity he can’t use Superman express!”

“Yeah, it *must* be love; the man hasn’t been out of Metropolis in years. I hope they are happy together. We mustn’t rush them, but when the time comes there’s this great diamond store in the Topaz district I’ll send him to. Mr. Lazar will give him a good deal.” Clark said.

Lois wrapped her arms around Clark’s waist and kissed him full and deep. When they parted she sighed contentedly. “Oh Clark, I’m so happy with our life together! If Abrihet brings *half* as much joy into Bernie’s life as you’ve given me, who could ask for anything more?”

Clark hugged her tight; the attack had made him more aware than ever of the precious moments in life. He wanted all the time that he could get with the beautiful woman in his arms. Almost all of his early dreams of life in Metropolis were complete. The only thing that remained was to have a family – children - of their own.

The tender moment was broken when they heard a knock at the door.

Lois stepped back and wiped a happy tear that moved down her cheek, she said, “Oh that must be Jack, he mentioned something about stopping by after work. Put on your sling, just in case he wants to step in for a minute.”

Using super speed Clark dashed upstairs to their bedroom and slipped the ugly blue and black contraption on his left arm. Once the sling was secure, he turned to go downstairs when the *thump-thump* sound of Lois’ accelerated heartbeat reached his ears. Fearing the worst, he quickly moved to the staircase and ran down calling out, “Lois! Who’s at the door?”

“Clark, there are some … people here to see you.” When his wife stepped back, her face was pale from shock as the two people entered the room. He could sense there was something about them and the way they were attired. The woman was pretty with delicate olive skin and petite wearing a dark sleeveless blue coat over a black jumpsuit with black boots. Her beautiful face framed with wavy black hair that seemed to gleam under the glow of the foyer light. The glint of a silvery metallic bracelet with an almost Byzantine design on her left wrist caught his eye. The man by her side wore similar garments; except his long sleeveless coat was deep red, he also wore a bracelet of the same design as the woman.

Clark’s eyes darted to a bracelet on his wife’s left wrist, the mate to the one he wore, also on the left wrist. He had given Lois the bracelet on the night of their engagement. To everyone else it was a gift shared between two lovers. Lois and Clark knew the bracelets were acknowledgment of a Kryptonian wedding custom. Only the nobility wore such jewelry in a pattern and color variation no one else was allowed to copy.

Clark’s steps slowed as he studied the man’s face, it was still a strong, handsome face, but the man before him was older, the weight of responsibilities almost too heavy to bear had taken their toll. An oddly accent voice he recognized as having heard before when he listened to the messages from the globe filled his ears. The tall man spoke a name, “Kal-El?”

With each tentative step towards the man and his companion the years scrolled backwards, taking him to the days as a young child huddled under blankets that did not give him any warmth; a comfy feather-filled pillow that was damp with hot tears. Even his care worn, brown teddy bear, Bosco provided scant comfort. He had been silently weeping, his tiny young heart ached and wretched with sorrow. Jonathan and Martha Kent had revealed the painful truth that he was not their biological child. Whoever his real parents were for whatever reason they either could not or –more painfully – *did not* want to raise him as their own.

That thought opened a yawning chasm of dark sadness and his small frame shook with a fresh round of sobs. With the exception of Martha and Jonathan he was abandoned and alone.

In the days and months that passed Clark often dreamt of his real parents, imagining they would drive up the long dirt road to the farmhouse, bearing gifts, begging to see their little boy. He would run across the porch, down the steps and throw himself into their arms, happy to be found. But as with all childhood dreams softly, gradually they faded into the past.

Over the years, Jonathan’s gentle manner and Martha’s comforting words helped the young boy to realize he had been blessed with the best, most loving parents in the world. They were there to calm his fears when his ‘abilities’ began to manifest themselves. He and Jonathan spent hours in the fields honing his talents and his ability to hide them so they would not proclaim to the world that he was not a child of Earth. Martha talked with him in the kitchen when he made the decision all on his own to not speak of those skills to anyone, but his parents. For these reasons and countless others, Clark Jerome Kent could ask for no better mother and father.

When Clark’s feet landed squarely on the foyer’s solid surface and looked slightly upward into the man’s silvery blue eyes he recognized himself in those features. This was no dream or an imagined gift, this was a miracle.

A single word crossed Clark’s trembling lips that he had spoken countless times before but to a man who shared neither his bloodline nor planet of origin. The word came hesitantly and suddenly his heart was ready to burst like that young child. “Father?”

In an instant the two men crossed the space between them and wordlessly embraced. Lois watched and jubilant tears ran down her face. Josca stood back, wearing an expression of profound relief mingled with joy, allowing father and son a moment to enjoy their reunion.

Clark was the first to pull away and look at Jor-El, a torrent of words spilled over his lips, “How … how did you get here? Are there other Kryptonians on Earth? Are you staying here?” Wh … where is my mother?”

He noticed the older man wince when Clark asked the last question. Suddenly an awkward silence enveloped Jor-El; he looked to Josca, who cast her eyes down nervously.

Lois caught the exchange between the two visitors and although she wanted to speak, thought better of it and realized whoever this woman was to Jor-EL she was *not* Clark’s mother. Somehow Lois found her voice and asked in an echo of Martha Kent, “Have you eaten yet? Clark is making Italian,” as if it were the most natural and normal thing in the world for his Kryptonian biological father to appear on their front steps.

Josca cocked her head and looked at Jor-El, speaking for the first time and said. “Italian?”

He took her hand and answered, “It is a country located in the Mediterranean ocean.” Turning to Clark he said, “I … I am certain we can enjoy the same foods as yourself.”

Those words spoken with a mixture of humor and seriousness somehow lighten the tensions and all four people laughed. As they walked past the living room, into the kitchen the room filled with the mouthwatering aromas of Clark’s cooking. Lois immediately set two more places at the table while her husband nervously plated the food. Jor-El and Josca sat down on sturdy wooden chairs and for the first time in his life, Clark broke bread with a blood relative.

After dinner they gathered in the living room. Clark’s father and Josca sat on one couch and Lois and Clark on another at a distance perfect for conversation. The air was thick with unanswered questions, all of which Jor-El endeavored to answer. “A journey begins with a first step. This discussion must begin with a first question. Please Kal-El ask what is in your heart.”

Clark’s brown eyes brimmed with unshed tears, “My mother … is no longer living?

Jor-El stiffened ever so slightly, swallowed and spoke, his voice roughened, “Yes, Lara is dead.”

Clark took Lois’ hand as he freshly mourned for his mother, he did not move to wipe away the tears as they rolled down his cheeks, “Sh … she was killed when Krypton was destroyed?”

“No, she died in an accident … on New Krypton.”

“Excuse me, did you say, *New* Krypton?” Lois said in near disbelief.

“Perhaps I should give greater details from the beginning. But first, you need to know that you are not an only child. Dear Lara presented me with another son - Yar-El - named after my father … your grandfather.” He took Josca’s hand and said, “Josca is not just my traveling companion. She is your step mother and mother to your half brother, Sor-El and half sister, Kirana.”

Sadness was swiftly replaced by joy, an inner brightness lit Clark up inside like a super nova and that lightness bubbled forth with unerring enthusiasm. “What? I have *two* brothers and a little sister?”

Josca bowed her head and whispered with profound humiltiy. “Thank you my Lord Kal-El. But my children are your *half* siblings, Yar-El is your brother.”

Interrupting her, Clark said gently, “Forgive me Josca, but that is not important. Until a few hours ago, my family consisted of my wife and my Earth or adoptive parents. Suddenly I have a whole new family!” He turned to her husband, “I … I’m sorry, Dad … Jor-El. I don’t know what to call you. Please. Please continue.”

“There is time. We both need to get to know each other. It would not give dishonor to the years the Kents have spent raising you. I would very much like to meet them. But to avoid confusion and whenever I am on this planet, call me John.”

Lois’ sharp ears caught the ‘whenever I am on this planet’ and her heart skipped a beat. Were these visitors planning on taking her husband back with them to their world - to become some kind of prince? Without a further thought she asked, “Are you and Josca staying here for awhile or is Clark going back to New Krypton?”

Jor-El exchanged a startled glance with his wife and said, “With the help of our long-distance transporter device we can come and go to Earth at will. Please Lois, understand I do not wish to disrupt the life Clark has here. He is free to visit as much as he wishes, however, if you wish to join him, special arrangements will need to be made due to the difference in gravitation.”

Clark’s brown eyes grew wide with astonishment behind his glasses.
“Visit?”

The hours rolled by as Jor-El gradually explained how Kal-El, son of the First Lord of New Krypton managed to grow up on a planet light-years from the one that had seen his birth.

It must have been close to one o’clock in the morning by the time Jor-El had completed his narrative. Lois was the only non-superhuman in the room, but she was wide awake and listening eagerly. Clark sat spellbound listening to the trials and tribulations of his father’s people. He was shocked to hear the role Jor-El played in leading those people and ending a rebellion. Pepper had jumped into Josca’s lap, momentarily startling her, but she allowed the friendly cat to curl into a ball and purr contently.

When his father finished speaking Clark shook his head. “This is fantastic! I feel so much better knowing my Kryptonian family is not that far away. Everything would be perfect if we didn’t have to worry about our nemesis Lex Luthor. He’s out there somewhere planning something terrible. I’m worried about him harming my family.”

“There is no need for concern Kal-El, Mr. Luthor is now on New Krypton in a specially designed prison where he shall remain for the rest of his days. Like Krypton, New Krypton is a giant world circling a red giant sun. If he were to try to escape he would find it very difficult, very difficult indeed, to contend with the increased gravity. As soon as he would step out of his cell he would be incapacitated by his own weight. There is therefore no possibility of his escaping Kryptonian justice. That is why I said special arrangements would need to be made if Lois wished to accompany you on a visit.”

This time, both Lois and Clark looked at Jor-El in downright shock. The memory of everything Jimmy said about Eli Snow and his story about a powerful man with an unusual accent came rushing back. Suddenly everything clicked into place.

Clark said, “Jor-El, did you confront Eli Snow minutes after I was shot?”

Josca laid a hand on his arm and said in a gentle voice. “Let me enlighten them as to what transpired on the staircase and in Mr. Luthor’s office. I can do it without … emotion.” Jor-El nodded in ascent. Another thirty minutes went by as Josca-El told her audience what had happened to the shooter and Metropolis’ former crime boss.

“So you were the stranger Eli Snow spoke of. Jor-El, he is a man hardened by his chosen profession. Without the benefit of Kryptonian reflexes, the outcome would have been very different.” Lois said in a concerned voice as she stroked Pepper’s soft fur.

There was a silence in the room as Jor-El mulled over his daughter-in-law’s words. He answered simply. “Dear Lois, my enhanced abilities were the *only* reason why this Snow person survived. If this had been New Krypton I would have executed him immediately as is my right as Kal-El’s father.”

“But Jor-El …” Clark began.

“No my son, this man was evil as well as the one who sent him. On Earth you are acknowledged as it protector. On New Krypton, my position represents upholding the law and some of our most precious traditions. On this planet my strength and abilities are far beyond what I have at home. During my encounter with Snow, those abilities stood as a reminder to obey the laws of your world. Lex Luthor made a mockery of your laws when he sent another man to kill you. You are my son. What kind of father would I be if I did not stop both Snow and Luthor?”

Clark nodded and said, “Thank you … Father.”

A contemplative silence filled the room. There was much to be discussed in the days ahead, a bridge needed to be erected between Earth and New Krypton to understand the customs and traditions of both. Clark – as well as Lois – had much to learn.

The moon was beginning to disappear over the brownstones of the Kent’s neighborhood when Jor-El and Josca took leave of their hosts. Arm in arm they walked across the silent street, empty now of traffic and back to the alleyway. No one but Lois and Clark watched as a bright shaft of light momentarily brightened the space and then darkness shrouded the passageway once more.

As they prepared for bed Lois said, “Wouldn’t you just know it? The story of the century and we can’t write about it. Lex Luthor finally received the punishment his crimes deserved, but it wasn’t for all of the lives he ended or ruined here on planet Earth. It was for attempting to kill the son of the ruler of New Krypton and it was New Kryptonian law that delivered the sentence and punishment. His disappearance will have to remain a mystery, but we know we won’t ever have to worry about him again.”

“I hope so honey. I’m looking forward to spending a little time with Jor-El, Josca and my brothers and sisters.”

Lois was silent – too silent.

Clark pulled her gently to him and together they sank into the bed.

"Lois, what’s wrong?”

Her doe-like eyes shimmered with tears, her lips stretched into a watery smile, “I am so happy your Kryptonian family has found you. But … maybe I’m being a little selfish and I don’t want you to be so enticed by that society you’ll ….”

Clark wiped a tear from her eyes, smiled and finished her sentence, “… want to leave you, Mom, Dad and all my friends and life on Earth to become *Lord* Kal-El? No, I am Clark Kent.” He tenderly kissed her forehead and pulling back, whispered in her ear. I am Kryptonian by birth, blood and rank. But my heart and life are irrevocably tied to *this* planet and the beautiful woman by side. I belong here, not a million light years away. If I go to New Krypton on a visit, you are coming with me, that is a promise.”

His wife sighed happily and said, “Good. Now please turn out the light, I’m not tired and we are *still* newlyweds.”

A merry chuckle escaped his throat and then he said, “Yes Ma’am!”

The End

“LEXCORP HEADED IN ‘A NEW DIRECTION’”
Evening Edition - Monday, September 1st
By Diane Pallister and Eduardo Friaz
Aykira Milan, newly elected CEO to the beleaguered company promises the investors and the public, a new direction for the global conglomerate. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s, Wharton college MBA program, Ms. Milan made good her promise by requesting and swiftly receiving the resignations of several highly placed executives. Ms. Milan stated in a statement released to the press, “Moving forward our company will be completely transparent and shall not tolerate involved of any kind with the underworld. Those who commit illegal acts will be dealt with immediately.”
Earlier today Inspector William Henderson personally arrested Mr. Luthor’s in-house lawyer, Sheldon Bender. Who for some time has been suspected in taking part in Luthor’s criminal activities. Story continues on A2.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.