Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257861 08/27/14 02:22 PM
rkn Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
For homework for my first lesson in "Religion in Science Fiction", I need to write about my favorite SciFi and why. I'm going with LNC, of course, because Superman wasn't the savior, he was an example to show earth how to save itself. While I will be perusing the DVDs for quotes/examples, I was hoping ya'll who have a better memory- or have memorized each episode!- might help me come up with some examples. For example, Utopia was created by Lois and Clark- human- based on the values that Superman stood for. I think that is a paraphrase of an H.G. Wells quote. What are other instances where Superman inspired humanity to improve themselves?

thanks!

rkn
rkn #257867 08/27/14 07:48 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What about what Lois says to Clark in NeverEnding Battle? Where she talks to about Superman not being able to be everywhere, but just that he exists to do what he can gives people hope... Let's see what the script says:

LOIS: No. Even Superman can't be everywhere at once.

Her words are eerie echoes of Luthor's, and Clark reacts to them.

CLARK: Then what good is he?

LOIS: What he can't do... it doesn't matter. It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in. Someone to build a few hopes around. Whatever he can do: it's enough. (beat) If I could only tell him that. (beat) I hope it's not too late.
Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
rkn #257869 08/27/14 07:59 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi rkn,

Shortly after I joined the boards, I started a thread you might find useful: Analysis of Superman as a Christ Figure

I hope this helps.

Joy,
Lynn

rkn Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
What about what Lois says to Clark in NeverEnding Battle? Where she talks to about Superman not being able to be everywhere, but just that he exists to do what he can gives people hope... Let's see what the script says:

LOIS: No. Even Superman can't be everywhere at once.

Her words are eerie echoes of Luthor's, and Clark reacts to them.

CLARK: Then what good is he?

LOIS: What he can't do... it doesn't matter. It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in. Someone to build a few hopes around. Whatever he can do: it's enough. (beat) If I could only tell him that. (beat) I hope it's not too late.
Is this the type of thing you're looking for?

Yes! Exactly. Thank you.

thanks!

rkn
rkn #257884 08/28/14 03:44 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What about what Clark/Superman says before leaving with Zara and Ching? It's at the press conference, where Superman tells the world that they all have the potential for good and that he's leaving behind a world full of heroes.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

rkn #258026 09/02/14 05:42 PM
rkn Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm just starting season2 in my search for examples but ya'll have given me some great ones to work with as well. Certainly don't mind watching all the episodes again though! (-;

thanks!

rkn

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard