Chapter 17: The Preparations

“But, don’t you think we should book the venue first, Lois?”

“Clark, we need the invitations designed so that all we need to do is insert the venue name. With how fast we want to get married the invitations should have already gone out. It could take a while to find somewhere free on the day we want. The invitations need to be ready to go immediately then.”

“Okay.” Clark just decided to be in full agreement with his fiancée. He leaned back on the couch and put his hands behind his head to stretch while watching her.

Lois was sitting cross–legged in the centre of the floor. Papers and magazines were scattered all around her. It was like she was swimming in a sea of white weddings. Clark smiled to himself. This was his dream. All his fears had been pointless. She was here, with him, planning their wedding. As her hands rifled through the magazines Clark saw the twinkle of reflected light from her engagement ring. She stopped and stroked her hand through her hair to push it out of her eyes and he couldn’t take his gaze off the ring.

“Okay, where is it,” she began mumbling to herself. Picking up magazines and chucking them over her shoulder she continued the muttering. “I know I saw it on the front of one of these.”

“What is it you are looking for, Lois?” Clark asked and leaned forward, peering closer.

“There was a picture of a blue rose on the front of one of these. I know that it had something inside about the correct wording. And there were some fabulous designs.”

“Lois,” he held out his hand to try and stop her.

“It’s around here somewhere.” She twirled around and stretched, throwing more papers around.

“Lois,” he shouted a little louder.

“I KNOW I saw it.”

“Lois,” he reached forward and grabbed her arm. She stilled and turned to look at him. “Keep still a moment.” He lowered his head and peered over the top of his glasses for a few seconds. “It’s here,” he reached out and slid a book out from under Lois’ foot. “How do you know this is the correct book?”

“I remember the blue roses because I thought ...” she stopped and looked away.

“Thought what?”

“Um. I wondered whether we should go for a blue theme with the flowers. You know, rather than traditional red ... or pink ... blue, it has ... um, significance.” She turned back to him, looking over her shoulder.

Clark knelt down and took hold of her shoulders. “I like the idea, but it’s up to you.” He moved forward and touched his lips to hers. When the crick in Lois’ neck became too much she pulled away, but the loss of her lips was too much to bear so Clark turned her around and took her in his arms again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois took a deep breath and then picked up the phone. She dialled her sister’s number and then waited. It had been an easy decision to ring Lucy first. The conversation with her cousin was bound to be much more complicated, especially after the Trivial Pursuit night when she’d actually encouraged Cindy to go after Clark.

“Hi, Lo!” came Lucy’s voice.

“Lucy, how are you?” asked Lois carefully. Even though this conversation was bound to be easier than the one to come next she still wasn’t sure how to approach the subject.

“Pretty good. You sound odd. Is everything okay, Lois?”

“Mmmm hmmmm,” she replied as brightly as she could. Ok, just do it, she told herself. “Lucy, will you be my Maid of Honour?”

“WHAT!” came the reply down the line.

“I’m getting married!” she said, brightly.

“WHAT!” Lucy replied again.

“Lucy,” Lois frowned, “What is so hard to understand. I’m marrying Clark and I want you to be my Maid of Honour.”

“CLARK!”

“Lucy, please calm down,” asked Lois.

“Okay, okay.” Lois heard the deep breathing on the other end. “Is this a ‘Pact’ thing, because you don’t have to go through with it just because you did a pinky swear with him ten years ago. Clark will understand. I mean, he’s probably only going through with it because he’s such an honourable guy. He would never feel right about breaking a promise, but he would understand if you talked to him.”

“Lucy,” Lois interjected. She finally understood what Clark went through every time he tried to interrupt her ramblings. “It’s okay. We want to get married. Really.”

“Lois. Are you sure? I know Clark is a great guy, and you’ve been best friends for years. He’ll make a great husband ... except …”

Everything went quiet again.

“Lucy, we love each other. Truly. It’s not because of The Pact. Well, it is, and it isn't. Without The Pact I’m guessing we may never have got to this stage, may never have been forced to admit. Or maybe we would. I know I don't think I could have held it inside much longer, but it’s wonderful. I’ve been slowly falling in love with him all these years, and he’s been doing the same, and neither of us knew. But now we do. And it’s wonderful. And I’m so excited.”

“Lois!” Lucy shouted down the phone. Oops, I guess I got carried away myself then. “Why didn’t you say anything last weekend?” Lucy sounded confused.

“I guess I was still coming to terms with it all. We’d only just really got together and I was a little scared to make it public.”

“Well. I have to say I’m over the moon for you. Lois and Clark. I actually sounds right. I’d love to be your Maid of Honour.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, did they both say yes?” Clark asked as he and Lois entered the church the following morning.

“Yeah. Although apologising to Cindy was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do in my entire life.” She glanced up at him and he squeezed her hand.

“I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.”

“Oh, you don’t know Cindy that well. She can be a right ...”

“Lois,” he interrupted as speedily as possible. “That’s your cousin you’re talking about. And we’re in a church.” He widened his eyes in shock.

“Hmm” Lois stopped and glanced down to the front of the church in a frown. Looking back at Clark she saw his disapproving look and rolled her eyes. "Okay," she said and then mouthed a silent sorry out to the holy atmosphere.

As Clark walked her down the aisle he tried to prevent the smile on his face from becoming a grin but it was an impossible task, even for the world’s greatest superhero. “So, what do you think of this place then, Lois?”

Lois slowly turned, assessing everything on view. The size of the church was big enough that the ceremony could never be referred to as intimate but small enough that it didn’t compete with a Royal Wedding. The seats looked sturdy, yet comfy. The stained glass windows were large and bright and let in a wonderful amount of softly coloured light. As she approached the alter, still holding Clark’s hand, a tear threatened to spill from her eye. It was simple, yet elegant and antique.

“Oh, Clark,” she turned to look at him. “It’s perfect.”

“Can I help you,” came a soft voice from behind and they both turned around to see the minister waiting, hands clasped in front of his chest.

“Yes please.” Clark shifted his feet and then grinned. “We were hoping to book the church. You see we’re getting ... we want to ... I asked her to marry me.”

Lois laughed at Clark’s bumbling answer. “And I obviously said yes,” she interjected playfully. “But, the thing is ... we want it soon. Seven weeks.”

“Well, I will have to check the diary. It’s in my office, why don’t you come with me.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Clark, we ...” she sighed and melted into his arms. “We have to stop.”

“I know,” he moaned into her hair, tightening his grip round her waist. “We’re in the minister’s office ... in church.”

“Mmm.” She reached up her hand and took his chin, drawing him back to her mouth. Clark nibbled on her lower lip.

“He’ll be back any moment, he only went to ... to ...” He took her mouth again. Just when he thought he was about to irrevocably lose control Clark heard a scream. It penetrated his passion haze and he pulled away from Lois. Looking into her dreamy eyes he apologised as quickly as he could.

“I have to go. I trust you to make all the arrangements with the minister. See you later.” A quick peck on the nose later and he was gone.

Lois dropped into an old wooden chair and tried to climb out from the fog in her brain. She looked up in bewilderment when the minister came back in, almost forgetting why she was sat there waiting.

“Where’s Mr ... uh ...”

“Kent,” replied Lois.

“Where’s Mr Kent gone?” he asked confused.

“Oh, he uh ... had to ... remembered an appointment,” Lois stumbled, “with a source.” She noticed the frown on the minister’s face and knew exactly what thoughts were passing through his mind.

But you’re wrong buddy. My ‘Farmboy' is taking this wedding very seriously. It’s just that he takes saving the world even more seriously. But I can never tell you that, so I’ll plaster a fake smile on my face and act completely oblivious to your thoughts and just make all the wedding arrangements.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark stood in the changing room grimacing at himself in the mirror. It wasn’t that the suit didn’t fit, or that it didn’t look good, but he couldn’t see himself walking down the aisle in a white tux. It didn’t give the correct impression, and it didn’t match the old fashioned church he and Lois had booked either. Plus the rental was extortionate.

“Next!” he shouted and held out his hand. Another hand slipped past the changing curtain holding a hanger complete with alternative choice.

“So what was the matter with that one, CK?” came the high tenor voice.

“It just wasn’t me, Jimmy. And I can’t see it being you either,” he chatted while changing. It was nice to do this at normal speed, but Clark got the feeling that he would have caved in to his super-speed a long time since, if not for having Jimmy along to keep him grounded.

“Me?”

“Yes. The Best Man has to wear the same.”

“Best Man?” came the squeal from the other side of the changing room. “Oh, CK, I’d be honoured.”

“Great,” Clark replied.

After a quiet minute, during which time Clark slipped out of the white tux and into the black morning suit, struggling quite a bit with the cravat, Jimmy spoke again. “So, how’s that one?”

“I like it. Not sure about the waistcoat.” Clark looked at himself critically, wanting to be sure of his choice. “Maybe I should see someone else in a matching one.” He drew back the curtain and grinned. “Jimmy!” he teased and wiggled his eyebrows.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Oh, Mrs Kent, this is heaven,” moaned Lois. She snuggled into the comfy farm couch holding a hot chocolate in her palms. The lights were dimmed and soft music played. All her tension was fading.

“Lois, we’ve known each other for years. Don’t you think it’s about time you started calling me Martha?” Lois looked sheepishly over the top of her mug. “Or even Mom?” She rolled her eyes away.

“I’m not sure if I could go that far Mrs Kent.” When she saw her future mother-in-law scowl at her she amended her statement. “Um ... Martha.”

“Now, Lois. Tonight is just for relaxing. No talk of the wedding, no stressing or worrying. Just put your feet up and relax.” As if to demonstrate Martha leaned back in her chair and reached out with her legs to the little table in front, propping her feet up.

Lois grinned and copied her exactly. “Yes, it will be nice to take a break from all the frantic planning. Clark and I ... well, I think we are wound so tight I sometimes feel like I’m about to snap and some important metal pin joint will go flinging across the room and ping Clark in the eye ... metaphorically, of course.” She sighed and took a sip of her divine drink. “I mean there’s only two weeks to go and we still haven’t had a chance to visit the bakery. What are we going to do without a cake? I sure hope Clark got the band sorted today. And then there’s the flowers which, even though I’ve confirmed three times, I still think they don’t get that I really do want them to be blue. And the biggest one of all. I still haven’t got a dress. Everywhere has a twelve week wait while they make the dress to your size. Where am I going to find one I can just try on and buy?”

“Lois,” came a soft voice beside her and a gentle hand on her arm. “No wedding talk.”

“Sorry Mrs ... Martha.”

“Well, actually ...” Martha paused and Lois looked at her questioningly. “Just one thing that would be wedding related.” She stood and wandered off into the kitchen. Lois frowned and sat forward then put her cup down and followed. Just as she came up behind Martha, the beautifully greying lady turned around. “Here, try this.” She held out her hand and almost forced something into Lois’ mouth.

Lois opened her lips obediently, never one to deny herself a taste of Martha Kent’s cooking, and her tongue tingled with life as she tasted the sweet morsel. “Oh, that is just divine. Martha what is it?”

“A light lemon sponge with just a few special extras.”

“Oooaaahhh,” Lois groaned and she licked her lips.

“You’re only having a small set of guests aren’t you?”

“Yes,” Lois replied looking past Martha to see if she could see more of the cake.

“Well, how about I make your Wedding Cake then?”

Lois stopped and looked up in surprise. “Martha, no. We can’t ask you to do that. You’re the mother of the Bridegroom ... and kind of mother to the Bride as well.”

“I really don’t mind at all, Lois. I would feel honoured to take part in that way.”

Lois felt her face warring over a smile and blubbering tears, eventually giving way to both in some fashion. Reaching out she wrapped her arms around the woman who had been an honorary mother to her for many years and hugged tightly.

“So, now that is out of the way ... no more wedding talk.”

“Yes ma’am,” Lois saluted and laughed. Heading back to the living area she smiled. “You can tell me all about my fiancé’s most embarrassing moments from when he was younger.”

“Ha ha,” Martha laughed. “Well, there was this one time he got it into his head to be a lion tamer after we visited the Circus.”

Lois dropped back into place on the couch. “What? A lion tamer?”

“Yes. He took to wearing a pair of red swimming shorts as his circus outfit and then hung a red tablecloth over his shoulder as the cape.” Both Martha and Lois frowned ever so slightly before bursting out into fits of laughter. “Oh and then there was the time he went to the Halloween party at the community hall dressed as a Roman Gladiator.” Martha stopped and frowned again. “Red skirt and cape ... again.”

Lois clutched at her stomach, the pain of laughing uncontrollably was so intense. She was still not in control when the kitchen door opened and Clark whooshed in from whatever crisis had called him away from the evening at the farm. Lois and Martha looked up in shock at the noise but then burst out laughing again when they saw him.

“What?” he asked. They just laughed louder. “What is it?” When he didn’t get a response he sped upstairs to his childhood room and then re-appeared downstairs, seconds later, in a pair of soft blue jeans and a red and blue checked shirt.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The following morning Lois waved goodbye to Clark as he flew up into the air after having dropped her back at the farm once more. Martha had specifically asked for Lois to come back alone just as the couple were leaving for Metropolis the night before.

Lois suspected that Martha was going to offer to make her wedding dress but she just couldn’t accept. The cake, well, that was a different matter. The ingredients wouldn’t cost half as much as the fabric and the time taken to make it would be minute in comparison.

Lois took some deep breaths as she climbed the porch steps, readying herself to gently refuse Martha’s offer but when the door was opened and she saw the smile on the older woman’s face she realised she couldn’t do it ... at least not by just blurting it out anyway.

Martha invited her in and made a pot of coffee. A plate of cookies on the kitchen table called to Lois and her eyes constantly flicked to them while Martha pottered around the kitchen washing up a few pans and bowls.

“Take a cookie if you want one, Lois,” came Martha’s voice and Lois looked up with wide eyes. How the heck does she know, she’s not even looking in this direction?

Lois reached over and picked one up, taking a large bite, before perching back on the seat. Martha eventually completed her cleaning and then, whilst drying her hands on a towel, she turned to Lois. Her heart beat erratically when she saw the look on Martha’s face. Here it comes.

“Lois, I have something I’d like to show you. Will you come upstairs with me?”

Lois nodded mutely. Don’t tell me she already has the material.

At the top of the stairs Martha headed directly for the large bedroom and Lois followed, curious. The pounding of blood rushing from her heart and around her body reverberated through her ears as she stepped across the threshold into Martha and Jonathan's bedroom. Once inside Martha closed the door behind them and Lois turned.

Her breath caught in her throat and all brain activity ceased.

“It was my wedding dress,” Martha spoke quietly. “I have this feeling that it will be the perfect fit.” Lois turned her head ever so slightly to look back at her.

Still incapable of talking she looked back to the dress once more. Her eyes were wide as she stepped forward but, instead of reaching for the hanger to pull it down, she held out her fingers, trailing the tips along the thin voile fabric. Unable to get over the shock she blinked away the tears misting her eyes and began to move her fingers upwards, passing the folds and lace and hidden, subtle sequins and pearls.

After the silence stretched beyond the minute mark Martha spoke once more. “Would you like to try it on?”

Lois smiled and nodded. Everything is in place. The last piece just fell into place.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So. You never got to see Lois' reply. smile Think it's pretty obvious what it was though. Comments.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."