Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257615 08/20/14 03:10 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So I saw this on Reddit about Scrabble:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/top-ten-lists/top-10-secrets-of-scrabble-masters/phoney.html

Basically, you can get points if you can bluff with a fake word. So, Lois could have legitimately played chumpy... or not? Clark called her out on it. So is getting away with it a matter of conviction or what? wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
mozartmaid #257619 08/20/14 07:32 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I had always played with the bluffing rule. I never bluffed myself, though, because:

a) I have no poker (Scrabble?) face to speak of; I'm an even worse liar than Clark, and

b) If you are caught in a bluff, you forfeit your turn. (Of course, if you are challenged and your word is in the dictionary, the challenger has to forfeit their turn.)

So, in my understanding, Lois was not cheating with "chumpy," but she should have lost her turn when it was not in the dictionary. Or, if they didn't have a dictionary available, then she should have admitted to making up a word, taken back her tiles, and let Clark go again; but this is Lois we're talking about. That was never going to happen.

Joy,
Lynn

mozartmaid #257630 08/21/14 06:05 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Hubby claims he used to bluff all the time. I really haven't had much opportunity to test it, though. I await the time to do so breathlessly. Don't think I would be able to bluff well, though.

Although if you're playing with a computer/online I did find out that bluffing is out of the question (it will tell you, "'ert' is not a word, try again").

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
mozartmaid #257632 08/21/14 08:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I wonder if "chumpy" would be accepted as a word by an online Scrabble game.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
mozartmaid #257633 08/21/14 08:48 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Only one way to find out, anyone up for a facebook Scrabble tournament? (PM if you want to).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Annie B. #257635 08/21/14 10:13 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.

I have tried it in the dictionary feature of my Scrabble app (using the Android platform Scrabble) and it rejects "chumpy" as a word.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Deadly Chakram #257641 08/21/14 03:03 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Originally Posted by Annie B.

I have tried it in the dictionary feature of my Scrabble app (using the Android platform Scrabble) and it rejects "chumpy" as a word.

Darn... a little disappointed, I must say. I bet you can't fool the app into accepting made up words. Though I have no idea what seemingly made up 'qi' or 'za' means (which are accepted), but I use them if I can get a double or triple score. smile

Edit: I usually play Words with Friends, and not Scrabble through Facebook. Maybe it's different?

Last edited by mozartmaid; 08/21/14 03:04 PM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
mozartmaid #257650 08/21/14 05:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
qi: the circulating life force whose existence and properties are the basis of much Chinese philosophy and medicine.

za: in feudal Japan, any of the mercantile or craft guilds that flourished about 1100-1590.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
mozartmaid #257651 08/21/14 06:54 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
qis also works. smile

xi, jo, and gi are also two letter favorites of mine. (I just crossed a xi and gi and earned myself 22 points.)

I have to admit, I play more like Clark than Lois. I'm more interested in the challenge of spelling long words than winning. (although, it is very satisfying to break 100 points by hitting two double word spaces within one word.) It's very frustrating to have a good long word and not having a place to use it. (I'm still hoping to use all tiles at once, but it hasn't happened yet.) My most recent long word was "capered". wink It was a few days ago, so I can't remember how many points it was, though I don't think it earned me as many points as "eighty" which hit a triple word space.

I must admit it is annoying to find out that slang words aren't accepted, but words I've never heard of are. grumble

Last edited by VirginiaR; 08/21/14 06:58 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
VirginiaR #257657 08/22/14 12:58 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
qis also works. smile

xi, jo, and gi are also two letter favorites of mine. (I just crossed a xi and gi and earned myself 22 points.)

I have to admit, I play more like Clark than Lois. I'm more interested in the challenge of spelling long words than winning. (although, it is very satisfying to break 100 points by hitting two double word spaces within one word.) It's very frustrating to have a good long word and not having a place to use it. (I'm still hoping to use all tiles at once, but it hasn't happened yet.) My most recent long word was "capered". wink It was a few days ago, so I can't remember how many points it was, though I don't think it earned me as many points as "eighty" which hit a triple word space.

I must admit it is annoying to find out that slang words aren't accepted, but words I've never heard of are. grumble

I apparently depends on what dictionary you use. My husband's aunt plays against my husband's dad. She uses the UK dictionary (I believe) and it accepts Jedi, whereas the American one does not.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Deadly Chakram #257659 08/22/14 03:04 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
I apparently depends on what dictionary you use. My husband's aunt plays against my husband's dad. She uses the UK dictionary (I believe) and it accepts Jedi, whereas the American one does not.
And yet another reason to love England. Sigh.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard