Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks to Mike M and LabRat, there’s a helpful TOC, which lists all prior chapters and FDK. Chapter 46 will be posted Friday morning.

I really appreciate your feedback and comments! Please let me know what you think of this chapter.

Top Banana
Top Banana
You are a day early, not that I am complaining...

Another excellent chapter, beginning to wrap it up in Milford. Since the communications comments earlier it seems as though someone (probably Tempus) still has something up his sleeve for their trip back... Of course Tempus always seems to underestimate the Kent's and Well's capabilities, in many ways he is very similar to the Munroe character.

As I expected Kara is having a difficult time leaving Milford, she made some really good friends there who went way out on a limb for her to protect her and those just don't come along every day. The experience has matured her and that will help her deal with the Larson when she gets back. I suspect things will look and feel quite different there after her experience here.

Now we just need to get through the curve ball that Tempus will obviously throw at them. Additionally I always wonder if we have heard the last of Munroe and his crowd as that type generally don't take no for an answer as they are so sure they know everything.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I agree with Emily. It's hard to leave everyone and everything one knows, but in the new dimension she and Catlin could move to Smallville and become a small country doctor and still see the Kents.

If they stayed in this dimension, I could see Federal Marshalls take over and put them in Witness Protection (is there a loophole which would allow it?), changing their names and appearances, so they wouldn't end up having to move to a big city. Many people wouldn't want to do that. I know I'm happier since moving away from the big city. Plus, while it might be easier for Homeland Security to deal with them in the big city there are many other concerns: violence in big city and big city schools vs. those in smaller towns, cost of living is more expensive in a big city than outside, dealing with traffic / transportation issues. It might be a case of ending up in a worse case scenario... from the fire into the boiling oil bath (and yes, I know oil catches fire before boiling). Then again, joining Witness Protection would almost be the same as moving dimensions, only having to deal with changing names (and possibly careers) and worrying that someone might discover the truth and out them (again).

“Us too. And everything else you mentioned; we’ve got all ten Beethoven symphonies—“

Emily blinked. ‘Ten’?
Emily: You had me at Beethoven.

I wonder how many people exist in the Kents' dimension who also exist in this dimension. Is it possible that there's a Kevin and Megan and in Kara's home dimension she'll discover at her school. Of course, that won't help this Megan and Kevin much. But then again, if some of the people are the same, who's to say there isn't and Emily and Catlin over in their home dimension as well? dizzy Let's hope they don't decide to live in Metropolis, just in case.

There's also no stopping Kara from coming back and being the superheroine back in this dimension (and meeting back up with Kevin and Megan) later on, after she graduates... Nothing stopping her except everyone knowing who she is.

Originally Posted by Mike M
I thought Debbie always posted on Tuesday.

Now we just need to get through the curve ball that Tempus will obviously throw at them. Additionally I always wonder if we have heard the last of Munroe and his crowd as that type generally don't take no for an answer as they are so sure they know everything.
Yes, I'm nervous on whatever else Munroe's group has planned for them. I'm glad that Lois is shaming the media in remembering their place in the system, not as stenographers but as investigators and watchdogs to make sure that the government behaves itself (and not just from a social media POV).

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I agree with Emily. It's hard to leave everyone and everything one knows, but in the new dimension she and Catlin could move to Smallville and become a small country doctor and still see the Kents.

If they stayed in this dimension, I could see Federal Marshalls take over and put them in Witness Protection (is there a loophole which would allow it?), changing their names and appearances, so they wouldn't end up having to move to a big city. Many people wouldn't want to do that. I know I'm happier since moving away from the big city. Plus, while it might be easier for Homeland Security to deal with them in the big city there are many other concerns: violence in big city and big city schools vs. those in smaller towns, cost of living is more expensive in a big city than outside, dealing with traffic / transportation issues. It might be a case of ending up in a worse case scenario... from the fire into the boiling oil bath (and yes, I know oil catches fire before boiling). Then again, joining Witness Protection would almost be the same as moving dimensions, only having to deal with changing names (and possibly careers) and worrying that someone might discover the truth and out them (again).

I like this scenario and I agree with the Witness Protection Program analysis as they would have to stay really low key to keep off the Munroes of the world radar. I think the Smallville deal would work great since Milford is a small town itself (though not a small as Smallville). With 10 chapters left I wonder how much will be with them getting back to the Kent's reality and how much will be about Kara, Emily, and Caitlin settling in back there and the aftermath. Since Debbie had a Prologue I assume that means she can (and will??) have an Epilogue which could wrap much of that up several months into the future.

Originally Posted by VirginaR
Originally Posted by Mike M
I thought Debbie always posted on Tuesday.
I could say she actually has not had much of a consistent schedule (I went back and checked) but in reality I got this confused with a discussion with KK in the Wedding Pact who said she was posting Wed/Sat. Sorry.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kind of a bittersweet chapter. Yes, Kara is going home where she can be anonymous, and yes, Emily and Caitlin are going with her, but she's going to miss Kevin and the rest of her friends, and they will miss her. Of course our world will miss Supergirl too.

Will Kara be able to put her powers back under wraps in her own world? It would be the same thing - she would hear/see things that she could help, but her parents don't want her to help. (And I can see their POV, because there are some things that little kids shouldn't see.)

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you for the comments, everyone!

Yes, saying goodbye is painful. I remember when my daughter was in middle school, and lost friends whose families moved out of the area. They didn’t move to another dimension, but keeping in touch long distance is hard, especially for kids.

When I was writing the scene with Emily worried about losing part of her culture, I remembered the bit from “The Foundling” where Lex had Beethoven’s Tenth Symphony in his secret vault, and had to throw it in. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard