Honeymoon in Metropolis – Matchmaker Style

Rated PG-13

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

Lois and Clark now live in Clark's ‘old' apartment.

* * denotes emphasis
< > denotes thoughts
As always comments are welcome. (ken.janney@kjanney.com)

Previously:

Cat quipped, "Business must be good."

Lois was starting to show her frustration, "What business?"

Just as Lois was asking that particular question, Perry entered the conference room where they were gathered. His expression showed that he was very pleased with himself. He picked a photo of Roarke in a dinner jacket from the folder he was carrying. As if to say, ‘This old dog can still bite,' he dropped it on the table and announced, "Thaddeus Roarke, R … o … a … r … k … e. International arms dealer, electronic weapons system analyst, entrepreneur, and general bad boy. Last known base of operations … Beirut, Lebanon."

They were all flabbergasted at this revelation.

Jimmy and Lois tied for being the first to be able to speak, "How'd you … Where'd you ..."

Perry, as if he were addressing a class of novice journalists replied, "Sources, boys and girls, sources. The life blood of journalism."

Eying the photo and seeing that it wasn't a standard glossy print such as they would have in the photo archive. Cat gave in to her curiosity and picking up the picture turned it over. She read what was on the reverse and blurted out, "People Magazine?"

Realizing that his secret had been exposed, Perry said, “Here, give me that,” grabbed the photo and dropped it back into the folder.

Clark summarized the salient points, "Arms dealer, House Defense Committee. Makes sense."

Realizing the absolute gravity of the situation, Perry said, "Now team, we should talk about this. A scoop's a scoop, but if we're into something that impacts on national security, we have to bring in the Federales."

Dismayed at the prospect of losing what could possibly be the scoop of the century, Lois blurted out, "Now?"

Perry relented, somewhat, "No. When the time's right. So far we have more questions than answers." He looked around and saw nods of agreement all around. "Let's do some brain-storming. I'd like to hear some theories."

Jimmy was the first one willing to offer a theory, "Okay. The Defense Department is about to test some new weapons system and Roarke wants to know about it."

Going along with that theme, Clark offered, "So he bribes Harrington to pass him the information."

Lois added, "But from what we saw Harrington is also afraid of Roarke."

Clark suggested an alternative, "Or maybe afraid of what Roarke will do once he has the information."

No one added anything even though Perry looked from one to the other around the group. Like a General marshaling his troops, Perry finally said, "Seems to me we should be doing some legwork to back up our surveillance." Perry looked at Cat significantly as he asked, "Cat, do you think you can find Congressman Harrington and stick with him?"

Cat was somewhat indignant that Perry had any doubts as to her ability to follow through on an assignment like this and it came out in her voice, "Like … super-glue."

Next Perry turned to Jimmy and gave him his unique assignment, "Jimmy, the next time Roarke shows …"

Enjoying being part of the team and not being treated as the lowly gofer, Jimmy smiled and nodded, "Got him."

Perry next turned his attention back to his top reporting team and asked, "You two need any help with the surveillance?"

Lois answered for them, "We can handle it, Chief."

"Okay, but if you need more equipment or personnel, let me know. You have two more days. Make the most of them."

Lois quipped, "Trust me, Chief. We will."

Perry was quick to reply, "Hey, hey, hey, remember, you're on the Planet's dime. Save the hanky-panky for your own time."

And Now:

Chapter 5

After the meeting broke up, Lois and Clark decided to head back to the Honeymoon Suite. In no time at all they were back in the spa tub together. Their joining was totally enjoyable although brief because neither of them could concentrate on watching the office across the street while they were thus engaged.

They decided to play cards and without even getting out of the tub they started playing. That way they could alternate watching the office.

With a wide grin, Lois slapped down her cards and announced, "Gin!"

Clark was astounded and said, "No way."

Lois spread the cards out and said, "Read ‘em and weep."

Clark shook his head in consternation and admitted defeat.

Thoughtfully, Lois said, "You know, with all that you can do, how is it that I can beat you so easily? I mean, it would be so easy for you to see what cards I have and not play to my hand."

With a shamefaced look, Clark said, "I have been tempted, a time or two."

"Why not? I would."

Astonished, Clark blurted out, "You would?"

"Sure! Take advantage of what you can do. You know, this is still very new to me. I mean, you just told me who you are and we just got married and it is taking me time to process all of this and, well, I'm just starting to see the possibilities. With what you can do … just think of how much simpler our investigations are going to be. We won't have to worry about guards sneaking up on us. Locked safes won't be a barrier because you can x-ray the mechanism and see the workings or hear the tumblers click. There is no way we could be trapped on an upper floor. You could fly us out of danger. The mind boggles at the possibilities."

"Lo - is, I'm not so sure that some of that is such a good idea. Some of those things would put you in too much danger. Besides, that’s not the kind of thing that Superman does."

"You'd be there to protect me and you wouldn’t be doing it as Superman. You’re Clark Kent."

"What if, right in the middle of a mission, I have to leave to handle an emergency?"

Lois thought for a few seconds before she replied, in a happy tone, "You could take me with you and I could report on the rescue. Then if whoever it is discovers that they have been broken into, we will have proof that we weren't anywhere near the place."

He groaned in frustration. He could see that this would be a losing battle.

The novelty of the spa had finally worn off and they finally climbed out. They donned the courtesy robes and moved into the sitting room of the suite. They were sitting on the floor on opposite sides of the coffee table. On the table was spread out a local variant of a Monopoly board. There was a bowl of fruit on the end of the table.

Lois picked up an apple in one hand and the dice in the other. As she rolled the dice she took a bite of the apple. Noting the roll she picked up the little metallic shoe and started moving it the indicated number of spaces with a little ‘click', click, ‘click' as she hit the board with each hop.

Landing on Main Avenue, Lois shouted, "YES!"

Clark muttered, "Unbelievable," under his breath.

Lois chortled, "That completes that group." She counted out some play money from her stack and handed it to Clark who was acting as the banker. As she did, she said, "I'll put hotels on each property." Clark sorted the bills and placed them in their places in the bank and then handed Lois 3 hotels which she placed on the board.

Lois rubbed her hands in anticipation as Clark picked up the dice for his turn. As soon as he made the roll he knew he was doomed. Picking up the Scottie dog he advanced it with a ‘click', ‘click', ‘click' ending on the space with Lois.

Lois, gleeful at his misfortune, held out both hands wiggling her fingers in a ‘gimme’ gesture and said, "Pay up."

Clark counted his cash and in a dispirited tone said, "I can't make the rent."

Lois was not what you would call a gracious winner, but she was even a worse loser. She ordered, "Give me whatever you have and then go to the poor house."

Later they had ordered a room service lunch which included a chocolate milk shake for Lois. As she was slurping up the last of which, Clark mentioned it, Lois replied, with an arched eyebrow and a wicked little grin, "I need to keep up my caloric intake. I'm burning it off right away. We've been … very … active."

All Clark could do was smile at the reminiscence of just how active they had been. He asked, "Should I call down for another one? You do need to keep your energy up."

"I'll be eating for two soon enough."

Clark perked up, "Oh? Are you …"

She smiled at him and said, "It's too soon to tell. It's only been a couple of weeks, but we do have a good shot. Like I said before, with all of that activity … all of those little spermies swimming around inside of me. Anything can happen."

Lois finished her shake and set the glass down. As soon as she did, she slid over into his waiting arms and cuddled there. She was idly playing with the hairs on his arm as she asked, "Are you sure we're ready for that?"

Clark pulled her into a tighter embrace and said, "Is any couple ever ready to become parents? I think that's one reason that the baby takes so long to develop in the womb. It gives the parents a chance for the facts to sink in and for them to prepare mentally. All I can say is, I'm looking forward to the day that we can hold that new little person and know that our love has taken a physical form."

Lois craned around and gave Clark a kiss before she said, "You succeed in surprising me constantly. I knew you were a softie now I see that you are just a romantic at heart. Before that trip to Smallville and Herb messing with my memories, I never thought I'd be able to say anything remotely like this but, I love you so much I feel like I could burst. I'm just incredibly happy that we are together now."

A little later Lois and Clark were again on opposite sides of the table. This time on the table was a local version of Scrabble called Scramble, perhaps because you are supposed to scramble for words.

They had been playing for some time and there were a number of words on the board already. In her last draw, Lois had picked up a difficult assortment of letters.

Clark could see that Lois was in a quandary and sensed that there might just be a possibility of a win. The longer it took Lois to place her tiles, the more he could sense the blood in the water.

To his chagrin, finally, Lois selected a tile. She kept it in her hand as if she were considering just where to place it. Finally with calm assurance, she placed the tile on the board and smiled a confident smile. She had captured a double word space with the move and unless Clark came up with something equally spectacular it would give her the win.

It took a few seconds for what she had done to register with Clark. Even as it did register, Lois was crowing about the score for the move.

As she reached for the score pad to add her new score Clark stopped her and asked, "What is that?"

Innocently, Lois replied, "What is what?"

Clark pointed at the board and said, "That."

A little hesitantly, Lois replied, "It's my word." In an attempt to distract him, she asked, "Anything happening across the way?"

To her disappointment, Clark didn't even move from his seat. He simply took a second to use his x-ray vision to check on the Apocalypse office and muttered, "Still nothing." He immediately returned to the subject at hand and said, "There's no such word as ‘chumpy'."

Lois had used what little time she had gained by the distraction to come up with an answer, "Of course there is. Somebody's a chump. Therefore, he's chumpy."

With a look of disbelief, Clark said, "Come again."

At times Lois acted indignant and it intimidated interviewees so she tried it now, "Are you challenging me?"

Clark's reply was swift and sure, "You bet your sweet chumpy I am."

Lois challenged, "Where's a dictionary?"

Clark tapped his temple and said, "Right here. Eidetic memory, remember?"

"Oh, so you've memorized the entire unabridged dictionary?"

"Well, no, not unabridged, just the most recent Webster's."

"There, you see, you don't know every word that's out there."

Clark just shook his head in bewilderment and said, "Lois, you have got to be the most competitive person I know. What is it about you that makes you need to win all the time?"

She smiled and said, "I don't have to win all of the time, but that's one of the things you love about me. Admit it. It is, isn't it?"

He leaned over the table to give her a kiss as he said, "One of the many."

The light outside was fading into twilight as Lois and Clark played yet another game.

Clark was sitting on the sofa holding a card from a version of Trivial Pursuit based on Movies, TV, people, places and things around Metropolis in his hand. He had asked the question and Lois was considering her answer.

As Lois was thinking she paced back and forth in front of him. The fact that she was wearing that short robe had Clark thanking his lucky stars. He loved looking at her legs. On top of that, when she reached the end of her route, she spun and the robe flared out revealing that much more. Lois had a bag of chips in her hands and was munching on them as she thought.

Finally, Clark decided that he had given her enough time and said, "Time's up."

Lois was frantic. She hated not winning and challenged, "No it's not. I know the answer to this question.” She gave him a pleading look and said, “Give it to me again."

Giving in, Clark read the card again, "What was the name of Jerry Lewis' suave alter ego in the Nutty Professor?"

Lois stopped her pacing and stood facing him, staring into space as if the answer would suddenly appear on the wall as if written by the hand of God, but no such manifestation made its appearance. She was muttering, “B … B … B.”

Clark realized that she was actually on the verge of getting the answer, but not quite there when he said, with a note of satisfaction in his voice, "Buddy Love."

Forgetting about the bag of chips she still held, Lois threw her arms up and started shaking her hands, sending chips flying all over the room and she shouted, in frustration, "I knew that!"

Clark tried to placate her by saying, "You're right, Lois. You don't need to win all the time."

Realizing that she had been taking the game way too seriously, Lois put her now empty chip bag on the table and snuggled up to Clark on the sofa. In a tone of mortification, Lois said, "I don't know why I get like that. When I'm playing a game I guess I do get a little competitive."

Clark pulled back and said, in a mocking tone "A little?"

"Yeah, you're right. More than a little. Something just comes over me. That's what happened with that story that I stole from you. I just couldn't let you beat me. I did apologize for that didn't I?"

"Not in so many words, but that's okay. We were even."

Nodding in chagrin, Lois said, "Yeah. Super Godzilla. You know, that was nasty. I never would have done something like that to you."

"Want to know a secret?"

Lois perked up, sat up, looked him in the face and nodded.

"I was going to take the map back. I knew you were sorry for what you had done, but just then you found the map and it was too late."

"It's okay, Clark. I deserved it. I actually think I'm a better person for it. It took me down a peg at a time when I needed it. I was so obsessed with you, your other self, that is, that I just couldn't see straight. It actually helped me."

"No hard feelings then?"

"I could never be mad at you, especially for doing something that was needed. I'm glad I'm not that person anymore."

"So am I, Lois. So am I."

That evening Clark and Lois were in the bedroom getting out the equipment. Clark had started setting up the video camera on its tripod. They were planning to set up in the bedroom this evening so that they had a different, possibly a better view of the office and if anyone were to come in, the equipment wouldn't be immediately visible.

Suddenly, Clark heard the outer door opening. He looked around and made a quick decision. Collapsing the tripod he threw the camera on the bed, threw the spread over the equipment and then grabbed Lois.

Taken totally by surprise, Lois suddenly found herself on her back on the bed with the very solid weight of her husband pressing her into the mattress and his mouth on hers. Lois reacted instinctively and moved to deepen the kiss emitting guttural moans as she did. Her entire focus became the kiss and the feel of her husband's body. Her arms came up around his back and she grabbed handfuls of the robe he was wearing and started squirming under him, not to escape, but just to get a better position as a prelude to a lovemaking session.

Suddenly through her lustful haze she heard a gasp and she knew it wasn't Clark's voice.

As she broke the kiss and looked past Clark she had a look of annoyance on her face when she saw the maid.

The maid said, "Towels? Yah? Oops. Sor ... ry." She was startled and flushed with embarrassment because she knew that she was interrupting something as what she saw sank in. She put the towels on a nearby chair and quickly made her exit.

When Lois heard the door close behind the maid, she grabbed the front of Clark's robe and said, "Where were we? Oh, yes, I remember," and pulling him down again attacked his lips with hers.

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 08/19/14 11:09 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj