Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
FDK goes here.

And now for my FDK. smile

More suspense grows. Clark and Lex hit it off at the after lecture discussion. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting Lana to hang off Lex's every word (as she did with the lecture) and for Clark to be bored. Interesting twist to have it be the opposite.

[Linked Image] Lois admitted going behind Clark's back and making an interview with Luthor? jawdrop Frog alert! wink I like that they are getting closer and confiding in one another. I'm glad that Clark warned her against Luthor and his tactics but his warning was a bit too vague for it to be useful to Lois. Let's hope she's on her guard. [Linked Image]

Clark stifled a yawn, feeling his eyelids droop. He forced them back open. The drive down Interstate 35 always tired him out.
So, it is possible since Lana died in a car accident that she too got tired behind the wheel while on this drive? Nah! It must have been Luthor's fault! So sad, that apparently Lana dumped Clark after he told her the truth about his origins.

There was one thing that confused me:
Anyway, Clark had been amazed to meet someone who was even remotely like himself - someone who had seen as many things and whose life was as strange, although for completely different reasons. Luthor seemed detached, he was an orphan like Clark, though he lacked the loving family Clark had grown up in. Most importantly, Luthor seemed to strive for something he had not found yet. Clark felt that they yearned for the same thing – a sense of belonging.
First Clark says he's an orphan, and then Lana refers talks about Martha in the present tense:
And don’t you dare tell me that this is some religious thing. I know for certain that Martha isn’t that puritanical.
It threw me through a loop thinking that this Clark is alt-Clark, orphaned at 10, but Lana's statement seemed to say otherwise. I also vaguely recall Clark visiting his folks and having dinner at an earlier part of this story and them telling him to give this woman (Lois) a chance.

So, when Clark is thinking of himself as an orphan was he referring to his Kryptonian heritage? I don't know if I'm splitting hairs here, but I thought Clark never saw himself as orphan (even if he was technically a "foundling" who doesn't know his birth folks), since he always had a family, even if it was an adopted family. Only if his adopted folks died would he consider himself in the term of "orphan" (someone who has lost his family). Clark losing his birth folks he doesn't even remember and Luthor's parents dying when he was 13 (wasn't it?) doesn't seem very similar at all. Clark has always known loving home environment, while (in Clark's eyes) Luthor was wrenched away from it when he was teenager. It seems strange that Clark would consider it something that would bond them as they are completely different scenarios. I don't know. I could see it bonding Alt-Clark and Luthor, but not canon Clark as they were similar ages when they both lost their parents. It just confused me and threw me through a loop on what Clark's backstory was.

I'm curious if Lois is going to be wary of Luthor from Clark's warning or not.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 08/16/14 06:24 PM. Reason: Back for FDK

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another layer of the onion peeled back. I’m enjoying watching the mystery being unraveled. A very different relationship between Clark and Lois, and a fascinating story.

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Clark calls himself an orphan in "Smart kids". That's before he knows what happened to his parents. I admit that in the show he had already learned that he is from Krypton. But the way he related to the kids, I always felt that it was a sentiment he had harbored longer than for the past few episodes. I think someone like Clark could get a little intense if he thought he found someone "like him" and find similarities where there really are none.

Thank you for your feedback.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is really great clap...

First off, more backstory dance. Yeah, I was guessing that Clark would not enjoy any of the lecture with Luthor--and that Lana would be quite intrigued. I did not see this coming at all (Clark and Luthor bonding), but this definitely adds an interesting layer into their relationship. Very curious to read more into all of this!

As I've mentioned before, I really love/admire how you are taking the general gist of the beginning of the story that we all know and love, and tweaking it subtly--but in ways that are really quite huge. One thing--the famous 'Don't fall for me Farm Boy...I don't have time for it' (after the Chinese meal work night) was missing...and I think that really is interesting. Does that very obliquely mean that this Lois is a little more open with possibly the potential of her feelings for Clark? grovel hyper . Plus, she found his 'strange'ness 'interesting' clap

Love how you are creating such a rich and multi-layered story notworthy

Can't wait for more!
Laura smile

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Does that very obliquely mean that this Lois is a little more open with possibly the potential of her feelings for Clark? grovel hyper . Plus, she found his 'strange'ness 'interesting' clap

Would be a nice change, for a start, wouldn't it? But since he isn't staring at her in awe, maybe she just has no reason to tell him off?

1 INT. DAILY PLANET - PIT - DAY 1

CLARK bangs away at his word processor. LOIS passes by,
tries to sneak a casual glance. Clark stops what he's doing.

CLARK
Adopted kids looking for their
birth parents, if you have to know.

Lois ticks off points on her fingers.

LOIS
Search for roots. Emotional
roller-coaster. Unrealistic
expectations. Tear-jerker
reconciliations.

CLARK
(impressed)
Quick study.

LOIS
Not really. I did it three years
ago.

Clark is not going to let Lois get to him.

CLARK
There are no old stories, just
new angles.

LOIS
Seems to me if your real parents
don't care enough to raise you,
then why give them a second
thought?

CLARK
Because if they gave you away,
they must have had a reason.
And it's the not knowing that
kills you.

The fact that Clark is really speaking from the heart
about his own situation is lost on Lois.

LOIS
Good. You take the touchy-feely
stuff, I'll take Superman.

I took this excerpt from the script. I guess these few lines are the reason why I thought Clark might feel a bit like an orphan, even though he had a loving family. It's from "Strange Visitor" not "Smart Kids". My apologies.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard