Two days until the wedding…. And three days since Lois had discovered the VHS tape of her mother. Every day since she had found it, she had come up with another excuse as to why she couldn’t watch it yet.

But now she had a free afternoon, and Joel was down for a nap. Clark was out on patrol and Lois had nothing but time on her hands.

She knew it was time to face the music.

Lois put the tape in the player and settled herself on the sofa, wrapping one of Mrs. K’s homemade blankets around her for comfort.

She took a deep breath, and pressed play.

Lois marveled at how young her mother looked, despite the shadows on her face that indicated her lack of health. Her mom nervously brushed a hair off her face and began speaking.
“Hope I'm doing this right,” she began, unsure. Then she took a deep breath, shaking her head as she searched for words and then looked right into the camera, right at Lois.

“Lois, My little girl,” she began, her voice full of love. “I've asked that you girls not be brought to visit me at the hospital.” That first revelation elicited a few tears from Lois, her heart filled with guilt relieved.

“I know you don't like being told what to do, but I want you to have happy memories of me,” Ella said, making Lois smile. A dozen memories came rushing back to Lois, of time spent with her mother. She had almost forgotten the joy, so guilty over hiding the pain of losing her mother.

“Mom,” Lois whispered with a soft cry, as another tear slipped down her cheek.

Ella sat up a little straighter, pulling a shawl more tightly around her shoulders. “The colonel is convinced I'll pull through,” she said, though she sounded doubtful. “He packed a bag with my favorite nightgown and sweater. I didn't know your father noticed those things. He even managed to slip in Old Blue,” Ella said, holding up the little glass bird that Lois had remembered from her childhood.

"Your father got this for me the day we found out I was pregnant with you,” Ella explained. “We were stationed in Russia, and there, this is considered a symbol of hope.” Ella stared at the little glass bird a moment, contemplating all it represented. “He's going to do a wonderful job raising you.”
She looked up, trying to stave off tears that were starting to well up, knowing that she wasn’t going to be around much longer. Ella tried to smile. “But sometimes girls need their mother. So, as hard as these tapes are to make, they're for the days that I want to be there and won't be. Play the tapes,” she pleaded. “Think of me because losing a parent can create a hole in a person's heart.”

Lois’ own tears were flowing freely now, as much with grief as out of love. She couldn’t believe she had suppressed her grief of losing her mother for so long. And she couldn’t believe how cathartic it felt to hear what her mother thought, and to know that her mother hadn’t resented her for not going to the hospital, but had instead requested it.

“Someday you're going to meet someone special,” Ella was saying. “Knowing you, I'm guessing tall, dark, and handsome,” she said with a smile, and Lois couldn’t help but smile through her tears, thinking of Clark.

Ella’s voice faltered as she went on. “And you can't commit to that person fully if you think there's a love that you're missing from some old memory like me. You can't let someone leaving you stop your future with someone else.” Ella looked around, contemplating what she would say next. “You know, the thing about being a parent is It doesn't end. Not with age. Not with death… I will always be your mother, Lois. And I will always love you,” Ella said, emphasizing every word, before the tape ended.

Lois stared at the static a moment and let the tears fall. She then shut off the TV and settled deeper into the sofa as she contemplated what she had learned on the tape. Her mother wasn’t angry with her, and in fact had so much wisdom to impart to her. Lois knew watching the other tapes would be hard, but she would do it. She knew she could do it now, and face the past. Because it wasn’t a hateful, terrible void, but a mother who wanted her children to remember her.
Lois cried harder at that thought, pulling her knees up close to her chest. “I’m sorry, Mom,” she whispered through her tears. “I only wanted to remember the good times… I –I just didn’t know how to handle it back then…”

“Oh, Lois,” she heard Clark’s sympathetic sigh nearby.

Lois looked up, and wiped her tears as Clark came to sit by her on the sofa. “Are you all right?”

She wiped her eyes and nodded. “Yeah, just got through watching the first tape… Clark, she wasn’t angry or hurt, or any of those things I feared for years… And I just pushed all those memories to the back, too afraid to deal with it all. When all she wanted was—to be there for me. Even if it was just through these tapes. I mean, I guess… I should have known. I read the letter your mom found before Wedding Number One… but these tapes—“ Lois glanced at the box that had roughly ten VHS tapes, all carefully labeled for her to watch.
“I guess I was afraid to see her in person again,” she said, her voice heavy with guilt.

Clark pulled her in for a hug. “It’s not your fault, Lois. She died when you were a kid. You were too young to understand…”

Lois wasn’t ready to forgive herself just yet. “But when I was older? Clark, I simply threw myself into being Mom for my little sister. I acted like—I acted like we didn’t even have a mom.”

“Lois, it’s all right. You are facing it now. And that’s all that matters.”

Lois glanced at the TV, where her mother’s image was just moments ago. “She was so full of love, Clark. How can I ever live up to that?”

“It’s not something to live up to, Lois. Just like my father’s expectations can’t determine my future. All we can do is take what our parents give us and make the most out of it.” He pulled her in for another hug. “But for the record, you live up to her pretty amazingly. I’m sure she’s proud of you, Lois.”

“You think so?” Lois said, still unsure.

Clark gently pulled her chin to face him. “I know so… why else do you think I’m marrying you?”

Lois grinned. “Because you got me knocked up in some apocalyptic future?”

“Oh, yeah, that too,” he teased, giving her a quick kiss. But then his eyes turned serious. “Lois, you have the biggest heart of anyone I know. You live and love passionately, and you are just as determined as I am to see justice done in the world. I love you for all those reasons, and more.”

“We do kick all kinds of ass together, don’t we?” she smiled, her tears starting to dry up.

“Indeed. And we’re going to finally make it official in just a few days. So, what do you say, partner? Ready to get married?”

“I’ve been ready for almost a year. Time to seal the deal,” she whispered, as they neared closer, until they finally kissed.

~L&C~

Chloe had helped Lois find the perfect chapel for the wedding.
It was a small church that had been built when Smallville was founded, in the mid 1800’s.

It was the day before the big event, and Lois and Chloe arrived with flowers and streamers to decorate the chapel.

“I’m glad we could book it so last minute,” said Lois, gathering supplies from the back seat.

“Well, it’s not like Smallville is Metropolis,” quipped Chloe. “But I’m glad it worked out.”

“I just couldn’t face a wedding in the barn again… not after what happened with Joel,” Lois said forlornly. “I should have listened to my instincts then—especially after what happened with—Jimmy.” Lois’ eyes met Chloe’s, giving her cousin an apologetic look.

“I know,” Chloe nodded sadly, but then went on, moving quickly past the dark memory of what had happened to Jimmy. “But this place has so much history… Clark’s parents were married here.”

“Really? Clark didn’t mention that.”

“He probably thought you knew,” Chloe said, fishing keys out of her purse. “The parson gave me a key, because there is rarely anyone here during the week. Hold this a sec?” she said, turning the key in the big wooden door.

The girls stepped inside, and after walking through a small nave, they were in the sanctuary. The wood glistened white, the sun shining in from the windows overhead. Lois looked around in awe. “It’s simple and beautiful. Just perfect.”

They soon got busy hanging up streamers and wildflowers around the sanctuary. In a little under an hour they transformed the small chapel into the perfect setting for a wedding. After they’d finished, they stood back to admire their handiwork.
Chloe then pulled out a bottle of champagne and two plastic glasses from her oversized purse. “Now, it’s time to celebrate,” she said, grinning.

Chloe popped the bubbly and gave her cousin a glass. “To my amazing cousin, who will make a most amazing bride, and is the perfect match for my best friend Clark.”

Lois gently clinked her glass with her cousin’s. “I’ll drink to that,” she said before taking a sip. Then Lois held out her glass to make another toast. “To my cousin, who is one kickass Maid of Honor, and an even more amazing friend.”

“Aww,” Chloe cooed, taking another sip of her champagne.

The girls embraced and enjoyed the champagne. They collected the remainders of the decorations and sat on the front porch of the church, watching the sun set.

“You know, there was a time when I would have insisted on a traditional bachelorette party,” Lois mused. “But this is so much better. Here’s to appreciating the finer things in life,” Lois said, clinking her glass with her cousin’s once more.

They sat on the porch until the sun had set and they could hear crickets coming out. The champagne was long gone, and it was time to leave.

“Do I really have to stay at your place? I really want to just climb up on the couch and cuddle with Clark,” Lois sighed as they made their way back to Chloe’s car.

“Yes, you do,” Chloe insisted with a laugh. “Besides, Mrs. Kent has Joel tonight. Who knows what nonsense the boys are getting up to.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Whatever… “

They got into the car and just before Chloe started the engine, there seemed to be a slight rumble outside, followed by a tremor felt beneath their feet.

“Was that thunder?” Lois asked, not recalling seeing any storm clouds in the sky.

“I don’t think so… “ Chloe said, turning on the car.

“Did you feel something?” Lois asked suspiciously.

“I’m sure it was nothing, Lois. Now, let’s go enjoy our mud masks and movie marathon, okay? There’s nothing to worry about.”

Lois didn’t respond. She stared at the window, at the perfectly lovely wedding chapel they had just decorated, and hoped that everything would be okay.

~L&C~

Clark was to meet the guys at Oliver’s loft at eight. He was already missing Lois, and wasn’t looking forward to spending the night away from her. But he contented himself with the fact that they’d have a lifetime of nights to be by each other’s side.

It was a silly tradition not to see the bride before the wedding, but considering how the last one turned out, Clark was willing to be just a bit superstitious.

Clark rode the elevator up to Oliver’s loft. He really hoped Oliver hadn’t booked any strippers or other nonsense. He hadn’t outright told Oliver not to do so, but he hoped that his friends knew him well enough not to go that route.

As he entered the loft, Clark was relieved to see just his closest male friends and a banner that said, “Congratulations!”

Arthur Curry, Victor Stone, Bart Allen and John Jones all stood around a bar, having a drink and munching on snacks.
They welcomed Clark, clapping him on the shoulder in
congratulation.

“We didn’t give you a proper enough send off last time,” AC commented. “So we’re rectifying that now.”

“Where’s Oliver?” Clark asked after greeting his other friends.

“He was supposed to be back by now. He had to pick up something for you. I told him I’d be faster,” Bart laughed, dipping a few chips into some guacamole.

Then, the elevator opened, and Oliver entered, carrying a wrapped present. “Just in time,” Oliver said, greeting Clark with a half hug. “This, my friend, is for you.”

Clark took the dark blue box and glanced around at his circle of friends. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Well, open it first, Clark, then you might have something to say,” Oliver teased, grabbing a beer.

Clark smiled and then carefully opened the box. Inside was a beautiful red leather jacket, embossed with his family crest across the chest. He touched the fine leather, speechless.
“And he still doesn’t know what to say!” Oliver teased. “Go on, Clark. Try it on.”

Clark took the jacked out of the box, marveling at how soft the leather was. He slipped it on, and it fit him perfectly.
“Thanks, guys,” was all he managed to say.

“And don’t worry. I had it made in a tiny town in Italy, where they’ve never even heard of the Blur. No way anyone can trace it back to me or you,” Oliver explained glibly, though he was obviously pleased with Clark’s reaction.

“Thanks, Oliver,” Clark said sincerely.

Oliver shrugged. “We just got tired of you wearing that old denim jacket. I thought it was time you joined the big leagues, bud.” Then Oliver looked around their circle of friends. “Didn’t anyone order pizza while I was away?”

~L&C~

Oliver had disappointed Lois once again. He kept being haunted by that visit from Lois of the future, and it was like a self-fulfilling prophecy. He knew it wouldn’t work out between them, and yet he couldn’t resist trying to make it happen.

He had been a fool to suggest they could run off to the south of France for a mini-break. Even as he had suggested it, he had known that he wouldn’t be able to follow through. But seeing Lois Lane smile, it was like a drug to him. Even as seeing her in tears broke his heart.

But he couldn’t keep doing this to her, to himself. He knew it was inevitable that they’d breakup, and now was the time to do it. She was already hurting, and prolonging the severing of their relationship would only make it worse. He had to make a clean break, now.

Oliver looked into her tear-filled eyes, knowing it was over. “This is it, isn’t it? The moment I’ll look back on and
regret?” he said, though their parting felt inevitable.

She nodded.

He felt his heart was breaking, and he reached out to her, to pull her in for just one more kiss. “Is there nothing I can say to make you stay?”

She kissed him, but then pulled away. “I can’t do this anymore, Ollie. I keep hoping that I’ll be enough for you, or at least important enough for me not to be an afterthought. I’ve been left behind too many times… I can’t do this, Ollie. I can’t,” she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

She took her suitcase and headed towards the elevator. Their eyes met one last time before the door shut, and she mouthed ‘goodbye.’

Oliver let out a frustrated grunt, mad at himself for not being able to make it work between him and Lois. Oliver wasn’t sure if he had himself to blame for losing Lois, or the fact that future Lois had told him the truth.

In the end, though, he had managed to hurt both of them. At least he knew that she’d eventually heal and move on in the future.

As for himself, he wasn’t so sure he could.

~L&C~

Chloe Sullivan had saved his life…

Oliver sat across from her at a small café while she calmly explained to him why she had tortured him and made him fight to be Green Arrow again.

“You were living like you had a death wish, Oliver. You had to face your demons if you were ever gonna make it out alive, and I had to push you over the ledge in order to pull you back,” she explained simply.

Oliver winced slightly, recalling her methods. “Did you have to push with a 3-ton truck?”

She smirked. “I didn't think a tricycle would be a strong enough point.” She leaned in towards him, emphasizing her argument. “You're a fighter, Oliver. You fought for yourself and for a second chance.”

“Chloe, I'm not the only one you put at risk.” While he appreciated what she had done for him, Lois had almost gotten shot in the middle of Chloe’s reckless game.

“Don’t worry. I played my cards close to my chest,” she responded cryptically.

“And Lois was what? She was, uh, just another ace up your sleeve?” he pressed.

Chloe shook her head. “No. I never meant for her to get involved. She was chasing after you when she accidentally ended up storming the field. That's when Victoria went off script.”

“I could have killed her,” he said, knowing all the myriad ways he had hurt Lois in the past. The last thing he ever wanted was to put her in the crossfire.

“No offense to your manhood, but I made sure that your gun was loaded with blanks just in case. I trust you, Oliver, just... not that much,” she said, giving him a doubtful smile.

“Did Clark know about this?” Oliver asked, not imagining that Clark would have approved of Chloe’s little scheme.

Chloe scoffed. “You can't be serious. Clark would never in a million years risk what needed to be done.”

Oliver nodded in agreement. “Well, he's led a different life than we have, hasn't he? I can't expect him to know me like you do... the places that I had sunk to, the depths you must have had to go to bring me back.” He looked her in the eyes, feeling full of gratitude. “Thank you.”

“You proved it to yourself. Even with your face in the gutter, you still had the hero in your heart.”

Oliver reached out to squeeze her hand. Her eyes met his, and something suddenly clicked inside him. Oliver knew she was the one… the one future Lois had mentioned, all that time ago -- “She’ll surprise you, but she’s your match. You’re gonna be okay, Ollie.” At the time, he hadn’t understood what Lois had meant. But sitting with Chloe now, knowing what she had risked to pull him back from the brink, he knew it felt right.

Oliver leaned in, still holding her hand, needing her to understand what she meant to him. “You saved my life, Chloe,” he said, his usual flippancy replaced by sincerity. “Both the myth... and the man.”

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink