A/N: I'm very, very sorry this took so long (and is short). Here's the Table of Contents if you need a refresher on what came before. I hope you still enjoy. smile

----------
Part 9

Keith gulped audibly as he paged through his new script. “That's—a lot of lines.” He chuckled nervously, then met the director's eyes. “Won't Hans get upset that I'm replacing him?”

“Hans can answer to me,” Les replied, gruffly. “Just read the lines we highlighted so we can see if this will even work.”

Charlotte leaned over to whisper in Lois' ear. “Are you really sure about this, Grams?” she asked again.

Lois nodded.

“Okay,” said Keith. He took a deep breath and stood straight, throwing his shoulders back. He took another deep breath. He turned his head a little, thrusting out his chin. He took *another* deep breath.

“When you're ready,” Les said, pointedly.

Keith cleared his throat and looked down at his script. “Citizens—of—Metropolis,” he began, his voice quavering. He cleared his throat and tried again, pitching his voice lower. “C-citizens of Metropolis...” He trailed off, his breathing starting to quicken.

Charlotte glanced at Lois. Les was shaking his head.

“I—I'm sorry,” Keith stammered. “I just—Superman is so—well, he's *Superman*. I just don't know how to get inside his head.” He sighed, seeming to deflate. “Maybe I should just stick to playing Clark,” he said, morosely.

“But you *are* playing Clark,” Lois blurted.

Keith cocked his head at her in confusion.

“It's like this,” Lois said, coming to stand beside him. “You're Clark Kent—plain old farm boy, and that's all. The world, and the people of New Krypton, really need Superman, but no-one knows where to find him.”

She put a hand on Keith's shoulder. “So, you need to stand in for him; you're the only hope they've got. When they see you in the tights, they think that you're Superman—that you can do anything, that you'll save the say no matter what. They don't know the truth, that it's really just Clark in those boots. The only one who knows who you really are is your fiancee.” She turned him slightly so that he was facing Charlotte. “Your Mildred. She's the only one here who knows that this isn't really Superman, but an brave and extraordinary man giving the performance of a lifetime.”

Keith was silent for a moment, then he nodded. “Okay,” he said. He looked down once more at the script. “Citizens of Metropolis,” he began. His voice still held a slight tremor, but it didn't sound as out-of-place as it had, before. “I regret to inform you all that I am leaving Earth.” His eyes found Charlotte's, and his gaze seemed to lock with hers. “I will miss you all,” he continued, sounding genuinely pained, “but I am needed on New Krypton. I have a duty to my people...and my wife.” His gaze broke away.

Les and Charlotte both stood, gaping. Finally, Charlotte began to clap.

Keith grinned, sheepishly. “Thank you,” he murmured.

“Danielle!” Les shouted.

The wardrobe woman hurried over. “Yes, Mr. Donner?”

“Fix this kid up with some tights and a cape,” Les said, clapping Keith on the back.

“Yes, sir,” the woman replied. She hurried off, making notes on her clipboard.

Les turned to Keith again. “So we're clear, you're good with heights?”

Keith nodded, looking a bit overwhelmed at everything that was happening. “I used to hang-glide,” he offered.

“Wonderful!” Les said, patting his back again. “I think this could work out quite beautifully, Kenneth.”

“It's Keith, Sir,” said Keith.

“Right,” said Les, still patting Keith's back. “Right.” He turned to Lois. “I have to say, Ms. Graham; I think I'm starting to get what you were—” His lips kept moving, but Lois couldn't hear his voice.

“What? What did you say?” Lois asked.

The others all looked at each other with confused expressions. Then, Charlotte's mouth moved.

“I'm afraid I can't—” Lois began, then trailed off when she saw their eyes widen. Suddenly, the room seemed to flicker, and the people around her began to fade from existence. This was probably somehow Wells' doing, Lois thought to herself. She was definitely going to have a word with that man.

She had one last vision of the bustling set before it disappeared completely.

The End...of Part I. To Be Continued in Part II.

~•~