Chapter 39: Ruthless

“Clark?”

“Mmm?”

“Are you awake?”

“I am now,” he replied. He wrapped his arm a little tighter around Lois. “What’s on your mind, honey?”

“I’ve just been thinking about Kara… those videos we watched earlier.”

By the time the kids had finished their “little bit” of homework, it had been dinnertime. Bailey had gone home reluctantly, promising not to tell her parents about the Kents. Mr. Tong had come home and though he’d been shocked, having met Kara earlier he’d been somewhat prepared.

After dinner, Kevin had asked if they would be willing to talk about their world. Lois had asked if they could find out more about Kara instead. Anxious as they were to find out what their daughter had been doing for the last eight weeks — an idea they were still coming to grips with — they hadn’t had enough time at the library. They’d promised they’d answer Kevin’s flood of questions the next day after school.

The Tongs’ TV could connect to video sources on the Internet and they were able to find all sorts of clips with Kara in action. They saw video from her mine rescue in China, from her rescue at Heathrow, the school hostage crisis in Fort Collins, and many others. They saw the news report about the Russian plane crash. Lois and Clark absorbed it all silently.

Finally, they’d watched the interview with Kathy Morris. Lois had noted the way that Kara leaned casually into Emily Jordan, the trust she was showing in her foster mother. Lois was simultaneously happy that Kara had found someone to take care of her, and upset at the sight of another woman playing her role with her child.

Clark knew what Lois was thinking about. “Honey, there is no way anyone could ever replace you as her mother.”

Lois nodded uncertainly. “When Mr. Wells said there could be some kind of time offset I never expected it to be this much. She’s been through a lot, Clark, some of it nasty. I can tell she’s matured a little. We’ve missed a part of her growing up.”

She bit her lip. “I was sure if something like this happened I’d want to go back in time and make it un-happen, but if we do that… it feels like we’d be erasing a piece of her. Her memories, her experiences, the friends she’s made. And all those lives she saved… It doesn’t feel right.” She shivered. “I don’t want to play God.”

Clark sighed. “I think you’re right.” He thought for a while. “But it’s not so bad. It’s not that different from a kid going off to camp for the whole summer. She hasn’t forgotten us — you heard the way she talked about us in that interview.”

“Most kids at summer camp don’t start a career as a superhero.”

Clark blew his breath out. “Yeah.” He paused. “What do you think about that, by the way? I mean, Supergirl?”

“I don’t know. I was ready to rip that woman’s spleen out for letting her do it, but after I heard her explain her reasoning, and what Kara had to say, now I’m not sure. I remember what it was like being Ultra Woman, hearing people in trouble all the time. I know how hard it’s been on Jordy. Even with you there he wants so badly to help… How did you ever survive growing up?”

“It was easier in Smallville in that era. No Internet or satellite TV at our house until after I left home, so no 24 hour news. There were only a few local radio stations, and what news there was tended to be crop prices, weather, and the like. I could hear things in town and at the surrounding farms, but… there wasn’t really a need for me to do much.

“I did save a kid from drowning at the quarry once when I was fifteen; he went there alone and fell in. Dad was very unhappy when I told him about it, even though no one saw me. I got the frog lecture again. But…” He paused. “If we’d been immersed in instant news then the way we are now? I don’t know. I might’ve been Superboy. Even with Dad’s misgivings.”

Clark felt Lois nod; she was silent for a while. “It’s hard to wait. Now that I know she’s here and she’s OK, it’s hard to wait to see her, to hold her. To take her home. She’s our baby and I want her back.” She elbowed him gently. “You better hurry up and get back to normal, buster.”

Clark smiled, glad she was feeling better. “Yes, ma’am.”

“… and, maybe I won’t rip that woman’s spleen out.”

“You are the soul of kindness, honey.”

They closed their eyes and drifted off to sleep, their hearts and minds focused on Kara.

In her bed at Camp David, Kara shifted in her sleep, and a peaceful smile stole onto her face.

• • •

Kara made her way to the dining room in the morning, feeling inexplicably upbeat. She started skipping on the way. She found Caitlin and Emily already there, both looking a little downcast.

“Good morning!” chirped Kara as she entered.

Emily smiled at her. “Well, this is unusual. You haven’t slept in since you got your powers.”

“I slept really well last night.”

Caitlin eyed her suspiciously. “You’re awfully cheery, considering it’s Day Three of the hostage crisis.”

Kara pondered that as she grabbed a package of Cap’n Crunch from the sideboard and emptied it into a bowl. “I guess I am. I have a feeling things are going to get better.”

Caitlin sat up a little straighter. “Can you… you know… see into the future?”

Kara giggled. “I don’t think so. Superman can’t, so I don’t think I can either. It’s just… a feeling.”

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Jarrod Gardiner stuck his head into the room. “Dr. Jordan?”

“Yes?”

“There’s a call from Mr. Douglas. You can take it on the video screen here.” He withdrew, closing the door behind him.

Emily went over to the video screen and pushed a blinking button. The screen came on, showing Fred Douglas. He looked rather somber.

“Mr. Douglas?” said Emily. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I have some news for you. First, we’ve gotten the family court hearing scheduled for tomorrow in Wilmington, at two o’clock. It’s with Judge Quinn, and we feel she’ll be sympathetic.”

“That sounds promising,” said Emily.

“Well, that brings us to the other piece of news, and it’s not good. Dr. Jordan, I’m afraid the board of Milford Memorial has decided to terminate your employment.”

Emily drifted backwards until she bumped into the table, and sagged onto the edge. “What?” she said faintly.

“Someone got to the board of the parent corporation. Over the strenuous objections of your immediate management, the board decided that, quote, ‘the media circus around Dr. Jordan is a liability to the hospital and detrimental to the well-being of our patients,’ unquote.” He sighed, and added compassionately, “I’m sorry.”

“But why?” asked Emily in a small voice.

“If I had to guess, it has something to do with the hearing tomorrow. You’re now unemployed, and the judge will know that. However, we’re confident she’ll see what’s going on here and put a stop to it.”

Caitlin was furious. “What is wrong with these people?”

Mr. Douglas shook his head. “What’s wrong is that there are powerful interests who are desperate to get their hands on Kara, and they don’t care how many lives they ruin in the process. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many usually cautious politicians be so ruthless.”

“Can’t the President do something?” pleaded Kara.

“The President can’t do anything because so far, technically, no laws have been broken, though personally I think extortion is being committed. The President has to tread very carefully where a Member of Congress is concerned, and there’s more than one of them in on this, including in his own party. He can’t just clap them in irons; it would cause a huge crisis. He plans to speak out and condemn this, though, and reiterate his support for Dr. Jordan.”

“So there’s no way to stop them?” asked Caitlin.

“The only thing that would stop them is if public opinion were so negative, their concerns about being reelected overwhelmed their desire to control Kara’s power. So far that hasn’t happened, because a good chunk of the public is with them.”

“Even if they do things like this?” asked Kara, incredulous.

“They’ll never let something like this get pinned on them. They’ll just express their regrets that it happened.”

“My job,” whispered Emily. Kara and Caitlin hurried to hug her.

“Dr. Jordan,” said Douglas. “I’m very sorry for this. Once we’ve got the whole custody issue settled, the President has assured me that we’ll help you find another position as a doctor, one that’ll be to your liking and with an employer these people won’t be able to influence. You don’t need to worry about supporting your family or completing your residency.” He hesitated. “It may not be in Delaware, however.”

Emily nodded, distracted. A tear trickled down her nose, and Kara realized this was the first time she’d ever seen Emily cry. She didn’t notice the tears starting to trickle down her own cheeks.

There was an awkward pause. Douglas finally said, “I can’t be at the hearing in Wilmington tomorrow, but you’ll be represented by some of D.O.J.’s top attorneys; you’re in good hands. Please don’t let their machinations get to you. We’re confident we have enough negative information on Caitlin’s aunt to stop this.”

Emily nodded again, but didn’t reply.

“Goodbye, Dr. Jordan.”

“Goodbye,” she murmured, and the call ended.

“Oh Em,” said Caitlin, hugging her more tightly.

Kara wanted to be strong for Emily, not needy, but her guilt overwhelmed her. “Oh Emily,” she cried, “it’s my fault! Your lives are all messed up, and it’s my fault! I’m so sorry…” She hugged Emily as well.

Emily shook her head and replied hoarsely, “Don’t blame yourself for what they’re doing, honey. It’s not your fault.”

Kara shook her own head, unconvinced. Emily had shown her nothing but love and care, and her reward was losing her job and maybe her sister too. If she hadn’t insisted on being Supergirl, none of this would have happened.

• • •