Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#256860 07/31/14 09:26 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
So, I've known for a while what my personality type is, and I like who I am. The Meyers Briggs Personality test has (so far anyway) seemed extremely accurate. Anyways... I'm an INFJ (Introvert, iNtuition, Feeling, Judging). So much of what I've read/seen on Pinterest has been eye opening. I'm an extroverted introvert, I'm creative and artistic, listen, blahblahblah... But I was curious because it talked about how INFJs are better at writing than speaking (true dat goofy ) and it got me wondering. Anybody else on here know what their personality types are? Just curious to see if there's any sort of pattern to us writers, as we already have so much in common with our mutual love of Lois and Clark. smile1

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's been years since I took the Meyers Briggs personality test (I took it in college), but I am definitely an introvert. I took one of those online tests of extraversion, and on a scale of 1 - 100, with 100 being most extroverted, I scored a 17. I work with people all day, but I refuse to spend my lunchtime with my fellow staff members. I need my downtime, so I bury my nose in a book while eating and try to ignore anyone who comes into the closed library.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I've never taken the MB personality test, but I am definitely an introvert and am much better with writing than with speaking. Given the choice of having my wisdom teeth removed again or going to a cocktail party or other socializer where most of the people are strangers, I'd have my teeth yanked without a second thought.

I enjoy teaching, but that is different, since the classroom has clearly defined expectations for behaviour.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's been over 20 years since I last took the Meyers-Briggs. Back then it was considered bad to be an introvert... almost to the point of mental illness... at least, that's the way us Introverts were treated, as if we had a malady that needed to be treated and gotten rid of. (That's the only part of the scale I remember getting.)

I don't like crowds, parties, entertaining people, and talking to strangers. I prefer being by myself or with my family than strangers and others. Because of this, I have difficulty making and keeping friends, because when I do I finally come out of my shell and feel like I can be myself, it tends to scare people off. huh Because my real personality (as you all by now have figured out) is rather opinionated. [Linked Image] What I consider a lively discussion, others consider an argument. Needless to say, I'm better communicating by written word than in person, because I usually am two steps behind the oral conversation before I think of something which I can contribute. Because as an Introvert I'm good at listening, therefore, people find it easy to talk to me; that is, until I feel comfortable enough to speak up.

As I said to someone recently, I hate interviewing for jobs. While I can probably do any job I would interview for, the process of interviewing is my weakest link. I don't make a good first impression, because I don't like speaking with strangers, and bragging about myself or pushing myself and my personality on others, which are all the requirements of a good job interview. Getting back out there after 10 years of being a stay-at-home-mom terrifies me. Networking is for Extroverts, which also puts us Introverts at a disadvantage in the job market.

I'm not an shy as I used to be 25-30 years ago, because I've forced myself to be more outgoing. I can say 'hi' to others in line at the post office and to smile and talk to the grandma who has to say how adorable my children are, but this has taken me YEARS of practice and hard work. Small talk is still extremely painful for me, though. Often when I go to parties, I still only speak to one or two people.

Extroverts I've noticed are painfully unable to be by themselves. They NEED the social interaction of others to feel comfortable. This is why the cell phone market has taken off. It gives those extroverts, who don't know how to deal with the quiet solitude of waiting in line, being stuck in traffic, or watching their kid's swim class a way to keep in touch either by phone or text, so they don't feel so alone. My sister who is the most extrovert person in our family (although, she's probably closer to the midpoint between Introvert and Extrovert, if that's possible) cannot drive in her car by herself without calling someone. I think it's because she cannot stand to be by herself; although, I bet she would argue that it is the only time she has to make such phone calls.

I read recently someone describing the difference between Introverts and Extroverts in a way that FINALLY made sense to me. Extroverts are more relaxed being around others, while Introverts need time to themselves to relax.

The problem is that the other's POV seems so alien to one it makes it difficult to understand the other group. For example: when visiting my sister recently, her boyfriend could not understand why my husband and I wanted to go out to dinner just the two of us *on our anniversary* instead of going as a huge group.

What do you think? Would you describe Lois and Clark as Introverts or Extroverts? What about Jimmy and Perry? I'll hold my judgement until some others chime in. (See, opinionated. [Linked Image] )

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I found this quiz online:

Are You an Introvert or an Extrovert?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Annie,

Interesting quiz. I answered 18 of the items "true," and one of the remaining two could have gone either way.

Joy,
Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm INTJ, apparently. Another way to think of Introversion/Extroversion is that extroverts gain energy by being around others while introverts spend energy. While an introvert might be able to go to a party and enjoy it, he or she will need to recharge by having a little alone time. An extrovert might be ready to ready to continue partying (the body willing, of course.)

Last edited by ShayneT; 08/11/14 08:35 PM.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just took the quiz--thanks for the link, Annie smile. Yep, definitely an introvert (which I had already assumed, but curious to see how I'd think about each question). Easily 3/4 were a 'true'--maybe more.

I tend to be an introvert until I am comfortable--with people that I see fairly constantly. Once I know someone, once I'm comfortable with them, I'm pretty talkative. But I have to get 'there'. If I don't reach that comfort level, then it's very much not all 'me' in front of them.

The strange thing is though...I do pretty well with people I don't know at all. I can talk and talk to the lady checking me out at the grocery store or the big box store. I can be shopping and talk to whoever just here and there. No issues. I think it might have to do with expectations...these type of people don't know me, probably won't see me again, so I'm relaxed in knowing that it just is what it is: a quick, random conversation. No pressure.

I think the pressure is with the people that I'll see constantly...neighbors, co-workers, people at our children's schools. It's more day to day, I think through interactions more, I get self-contious. Those are the type of interactions that I need to get past, need to grow from, and then I can turn those people into ones that I'm myself with...It just takes me a little while to get there.

So strange.

But, like I stated, once I'm fully myself with someone--lots of talking. My husband, my sister, my parents, my close friends...they'd all say that I never stop talking.

It's definitely not a happy medium smile...

And I think that that is why I really love the characters of Lois and Clark so much. So relatable. Lois can be 'on' in her career...she plays the part and is on top of her game. But, she has insecurities. She doesn't fully trust others to be herself. It takes her time to open up. And Clark...he hasn't been able to be himself with others. He has only ever been truly 'him' with his parents. That's why Lois is everything to him. With her he (eventually) can fully be who he is, and his struggle to get there--to that place for himself--is so easy to identify with.

Really love the characters smile.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm an INFJ too. I used to be PAINFULLY shy (in kindergarten I got in trouble for NOT talking to the teacher!), and I've gotten a lot better about that as I grew up, but I definitely still need time to myself to recharge. And I'm definitely more comfortable expressing myself in writing than speaking!

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I'm an INTJ or an INTP. I find it interesting that everyone in this thread is an introvert. Is that just a coincidence? Is that a general tendency for the rest of the people here? Or is it a typical quality for people who read or write fanfiction? Or writers in general?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard