Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The second part will be posted within 3 days.

Corrina. wave

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Corrina,

This part is fantastic. Thank you!

I love the poems and potential card sentiments; all were very much in character. Jimmy's and Cat's were amusing. Clark's first two attempts were WAFFy; I hadn't anticipated the turn his longer poem would take, but it was definitely true to S1 Clark.

Thank you for choosing to make the charity be families of kids with disabilities. As you and most (but possibly not all) of the FoLCs here know, that does hit very close to home for me. I really appreciate your thoughtful touch in personalizing the story in this manner.

Looking forward to part two. smile

Joy,
Lynn

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Very heartfelt.

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Such a bittersweet romance you have with Clark's unrequited love for Lois. Yes, Jimmy's poem was insensitive but true. I have this strange feeling that Lois's poem wasn't written for Superman, even if Clark thought it was dedicated to him. (I can't see someone dedicating a verse for a greeting card for someone who the card wasn't intended for.) Perhaps what she had written was "For my hero". smile

I liked Clark's poem about friendship. It sounded like the perfect verse to give to that special someone on Valentine's Day.

I like that the Daily Planet was always doing fundraisers for charity. You never saw LNN or Metropolis Star doing anything like that, but perhaps it was because the spotlight wasn't pointed at them.

I also liked the idea about "Superheroes Day" - a day to celebrate those whom you appreciate. What a nice thought.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Great beginning of the story - I love the premise. So WAFFY! smile Can't wait to read part two.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Somehow I don't see the Daily Planet really doing something like this, but who cares — it's fun! laugh

Looking forward to part 2!

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
You've got me all wound up and eager to see what the poems say. I hope they can both get their feelings sorted out between them without embarrassing themselves or each other in front of the whole newsroom. (But somehow I think they're both going to end up embarrassed...)

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lynn So glad you liked it!

Tailee Thanks for commenting.

Virginia

I also liked the idea about "Superheroes Day" - a day to celebrate those whom you appreciate. What a nice thought.

I agree that you don't have to be able to fly to be a superhero.

Also, should it be 'Superheroes' Day' or 'Superhero's Day'? Iolanthe raised the point in her beta. I've often wondered if it should be Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day, but as it's Mother's Day (at least here in Oz), I stuck with Superhero's Day.

groobie Sometimes it's easier to write your feelings than to speak them.

Debbie It's probably more likely than the DP manufacturing food or clothing, for instance. They do have writers, photographers, and printers! However, I agree that it's probably unlikely that Perry would allow them to move too far from their core business.

mrsM Not too much embarrassment. Feelings sorted? Maybe.

Thanks for the FDK.

Corrina.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Corrina!
I’ve been kind of backlogged lately, but…auction story! hyper

Written in the Cards
Whine Whine Whine? A Poker game?

Everyone, that is, except Clark Kent.

Clark looked at Lois Lane. Because that's what he did.
Because she’s often the cause of the commotion?

And that was Clark's life in one bittersweet nutshell.
So, basically, he’s obsessed?

Even a bake sale, for goodness' sake!"

"You can't cook," Cat drawled.
She could do the register? And sweep the kitchens? She likes to clean.

"Lois," Perry said before anyone else could reply. "It's a good idea. We have the photographers. We have the writers.
/scratches head/ Pin up calendars with the reporters and office staff?

We have equipment that sits idle a few hours each day. Why not produce greeting cards?"
rotflol Let me guess, Lois’s cards:
“Have a nice life. Someplace else.”
“I love you. Like a brother.”
“Thanks for asking to marry me. The answer is ‘no’.”

"What about for Superhero's Day?" Cat said.
Super-what-now Day?

"Surely you could drag out a few words about the big man with skin-tight spandex wrapped so snugly around his rock-hard muscle."
Lois’s Card: Superman. Yummy!

"And what, exactly, would one do on Superhero's Day?" Lois sneered.
Dress up as a vigilante and stop armed robbers.
Dress in skimpy outfits and try to please the local super hero.
Collect Kryptonite.

Superman sans suit for -"
[Linked Image]

Jimmy's grin widened. "Of course, I can. How about … Capes are Red; Tights are Blue; Send your favourite hero, A Planet card from you."
So…photos it is?

"I've got something," Ralph butted in eagerly. "Capes are Red; Tights are Blue; If your name's Mad Dog Lane, Supes'll rescue you."
shock

Clark nodded, accepting his mission. Perry wanted him to try to ease Lois into a more favourable frame of mind.
This is a job for… [Linked Image]

"And if I win?"

"I buy you dinner at that new Italian restaurant across from Centennial Park."
Pizza Hut? peep

Clark nodded his agreement, figuring she'd just given him some powerful motivation to write the best poem he could.
A date?
LOIS: Don’t be silly. It’s not a date if I pay.

"You'll probably surprise yourself," Clark said. "Maybe you have the heart of a great poet and it has been struggling for years to scramble out from under the mountain of hard facts and exact detail."
Actually, it’s more of a Chateau d’If situation.

Jimmy held up a scrap of paper and began to chant. "There was a reporter called Clark J Kent; Straightest arrow, could not be bent; He chased down facts, And reported acts; And followed Lois wherever she went."
laugh

Cat smirked. "There was a man from out space; Bulging with muscle, fine of face; He runs, he leaps, he bounds, he flies; He can rescue me anytime … and then take off the disguise."
rotflol So, Cat’s not into roleplay, then?

Superman was her hero. Her only hero.
What about Resplendent Man? Or…Batman?

Lois had been more prickly than usual lately. Sometimes, just talking with her had been like trying to navigate a minefield.
So, for Superman that means he makes sure there’s no one in his path and then happily jumps around in the field?

And he had to admit, now that he'd set it up as a competition, she was probably going to win.
laugh

Already, the vibe around the newsroom, linking him with Lois in a way far more personal than mere colleagues, was making her uncomfortable.
He talking about the dirty limericks of him and Lois on the ladies’ room walls? Sadly, they’re not fit for greeting cards outside of the red-light district.

He didn't follow Lois wherever she went.

OK, he wanted to. But he didn't.

Unless she was in danger.

And then he had no choice.
rotflol So, everywhere?

How was he going to write anything heartfelt when his heart was bound up in his love for Lois?
Maybe if he thought of Lana? Or maybe something for Mother’s Day?

A friend is a gift of memories

To catalogue, keep and store

But oh, how friendship batters the heart

That yearns for so much more
So, one for the unrequited love, then?

Someone, somewhere had to need rescuing.
Even if he had to make it happen?

His phone hadn't rung, meaning he hadn't had a tipoff, so there was no need to chase after him.
laugh

Her partner? Certainly. She could work with Clark - and that made him different from everyone else. But it was more than that; she enjoyed working with Clark.
How about…Thank you for being different?

She didn't want to know how he felt about her. She certainly wouldn't want his fixation publicly aired in the newsroom like bold, black headlines.
LOIS: [Linked Image]

Lois's poem was dedicated to Superman.
So…oops?

Clark cleared his throat, trying to make it sound as if it were the build-up to a swashbuckling performance. Then, he steeled himself to speak the words of Lois's love for her hero.
rotflol What if his poem actually sounds even more like Lois and they all think that Clark got the hots for Superman?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOVE this story, Corrina. But, I'm a big fan of your work, so I figured I would wink.

Great concept, wonderful characterization (you are always so spot-on with the characters), and amazing places to go with Part 2...

Your dialog was perfect, and I loved the influx of poems created by everyone. As was mentioned before, you really captured everyone really well with their poetry...it all 'fit' what you'd think they would write like. Especially Clark's poem about friendship:

A friend is a blessing

Someone there in good times and bad

Someone who sees without judging

And shares the moments both happy and sad

A friend is a gift of memories

To catalogue, keep and store

But oh, how friendship batters the heart

That yearns for so much more

I mean, really...could that capture Clark's thoughts any better at this time-frame in the series? Friendship, wanting more. Craving a relationship with Lois. Loved it, and also how you've written Clark in this story. The way that he falls for Lois--so fully, so completely--really is what captured my heart when I first watched the show so so many years ago. It's easy to picture everything unfolding in this story b/c you have an incredible ability to really get inside the character's heads--Clark, Lois, everyone. It really feels like L&C clap.

Great concept of a way for the Planet to help...they'd have the resources, they'd have the talent. I can 'see' the potential of this type of project helping and raising some funding. And...I can see Lois fighting it initially--just like how the story started out.

Can't wait to read the rest...
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 08/12/14 07:04 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
So the first fic I ever read on these boards was another one you wrote for Lynn... I figured it was appropriate now that I'm getting back in the fandom, that this is the first story I read now.

I LOVED this! L&C were so in character... Lois reluctant to write poetry, Clark knowing exactly how to convince her to participate by appealing to her competitive nature... both of their mental struggles to write their poems... it's all brilliant, and I can't wait to find out what the poems actually said - oh, wait, I don't have to! grin

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard