Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The science about gravity and wormholes between earth and the sun is real.

http://blogs.redorbit.com/magnetic-field-of-earth-contains-time-portals/

assuming anyone is interested. Anything that is Dr. Erskin's theory is my own.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Dun, Dun, Dun. I'm thinking Lois is going to find a pocket into the past. Has Clark been stuck in one of those horrible time wormholes all this time? Bouncing in and out at random intervals to save Lois? Or has he just spent the last century searching for his missing love?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The redorbit.com blog is misunderstanding the science — as I'm reading the NASA PR, it's just talking about magnetic channels or conduits, that direct charged particles along a path. If the channel keeps the particles from colliding and losing energy, they may travel faster than usual. It still takes at least eight minutes to get to Earth from the Sun at light speed, though. There is nothing in a magnetic field that can act like a space-time wormhole. So, no time travel or warp drive here, and no gravity tie-in.

Now forget I wrote that, because it makes no difference to the great story you're writing! It's pretty clear some time-travel is imminent for Lois. She has to get back to be in the photo!

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
This story is giving me the chills...( in a good way)

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Yup. Lois is definitely about to go back in time. The strange colours in the sky are probably a side-effect of a portal.

The only question regarding the dress is whether Lois will buy it in our time or after she journeys back into the past.

It's a good thing Lois has that picture with her; it will probably help her to convince the Clark Kent of the past that she is, in fact, not insane.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I think this explanation sounds more plausible that the one I think we were given in the story. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie so I'm hoping this wasn't also the explanation there. When I remembered watching it I was shaking my head at the shaky science (and I was just a high schooler that volunteered at a science museum) but getting teary about the end nevertheless.

So much do you bet that Clark was researching this for some reason and went back in time, freaking this scientist out?

*edit* My 1000th post! I'm "Top Banana" now! dance

Last edited by Christina; 07/31/14 09:00 AM. Reason: Yay!

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm loving this story ... can't wait to see that first meeting between Lois and Clark.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yup this explanation is much more acceptable to the one in the film.
Lois handled the good doctor with respect and because of that his stance soften. Truly the signs of a mature reporter.

This story does give me chills ...in a great way!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Buy the dress, Lois! You need to wear to be prepared for the gravitational anomaly to send you back in time!

I like the pseudo-science here. It's sufficiently believable while still being fantastical.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Seems as though Lois has been doing a lot of traveling! First she went to Mackinac Island.

Then (I'm not clear about this) did she go to Smallville to check out stuff about Clark Kent in the Smallville Library? Or did she find info in the Mackinac Island library?

Now, if she's interviewing a professor at the University of Michigan, she must have gone down to Ann Arbor - a five hour drive from Mackinac Island. (Of course, maybe she took a commuter flight.)

Leaving the library, she sighed. She resigned herself to another night of eating alone. At least at home she was able to eat a diet frozen dinner in privacy. Her only choice here was to eat alone at a restaurant.

How sad.

At least there weren’t any alien abduction posters.
:):):)

“These portals open and close randomly in the atmosphere, dumping tons of energetic particles. They cause geomagnetic storms and cause the aurora borealis to light up. The problem is that they are invisible and unstable.”

I wonder if someone with enhanced vision could see these portals? Hmm?

Once the Earth had moved past the last point of connection, there would be no way to escape. You’d be trapped forever. There was no way to even know if a human could survive traveling through that kind of wormhole intact.

But what if you weren't human?

Post more soon!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard