Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#254647 05/24/14 08:26 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Hope you enjoyed the wedding!

Many thanks to my ever-patient, always-wonderful BRs, Iolanthe, Lynn, and Vicki.

Thanks for reading.

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
An absolutely smashing ending!

Well worth the wait.

Anyone who wasn't getting misty eyed by the end, well they don't have any feelings and I don't envy them.

Couple of my favorites:

She loved him.

She needed him.

On the outside, he was flawless, but on the inside, something was missing.

Her.

He needed her. He did. He knew he did.

But would he be willing to trust again?

"Love is patient, love is kind."

Clark had shown her such patience. And he'd always been kind.

"It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

The memory of her harsh words whipped through Lois's mind. She had accused him of lying and then accused his parents, whom he obviously loved, of deliberately misleading him.

"Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth."

She had demanded the truth, and his love had been too strong to seek escape through deception. It had cost him everything.

Or so he thought.

If only he'd look at her … allow her the chance to smile, to connect with him, to begin to build the bridge of restoration.

"It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

That is how Clark Kent would love. How Lois was determined to love him. "Look at me," she murmured under her breath. "Please, Clark, look at me."

Slowly, his head lifted, and his eyes crashed into hers, setting off a thousand mini-explosions that cascaded through every part of her body. He swallowed. He drew in a long staccato breath. "Love never fails."

His image blurred as the well of her emotions seeped into her eyes.

He stared, caught in the unseen bond that held both of them.

His expression didn't change. "You must have a lot of questions."

"I do. But only one is important."

"Which …" He coughed, glancing down to his feet. "Which one?"

"Will you forgive me?"

His head jolted up, and surprise peeled away the mask, revealing the Clark of her memories. "Lois, there's nothing to forgive," he said. "I … I saw you, my brain went into meltdown, and …" He gently squeezed her finger. "… and I just kept on getting everything wrong."

"You mean like bringing me here for the most romantic picnic of my life?"

"I mean like asking you out within minutes, declaring my feelings within hours, and dumping the biggest secret imaginable on you within a day." His other hand lifted in frustration. "I gave you no choice but to run away."

"I'm not running now."

"You came back to ask for forgiveness?" His eyebrow lifted. "Just that?"

Lois felt her mouth twitch. "No. Not just that."

"What else?"

She stared into his eyes and saw the lingering layers of uncertainty, as if he were preparing to defend his life … his world … his decisions. She placed her other hand on the lapel of his jacket.

"No raindrops today," he muttered.

She brushed them away anyway, relishing the texture of his jacket … and the underlying firmness of his chest.

But … her hand stilled. "I wanted to tell you that I believe you," she said. "About everything."

"You believe my parents found me in a spaceship?"

She nodded.

"Why?" he asked. "Why would you believe something so implausible?"

"Because you told me." She waited for that to settle through his consciousness and then smiled softly. "And the coffee helped, too."

He groaned. "The coffee."

and of course finally

She grinned. "When you come to Metropolis, you are going to work with me."

She said it as if their future was settled. Exhilaratingly settled. "You said you work alone," he reminded her. "Always."

"I also said I don't date. Ever."

His laughter felt sweet as he asked, "Has that changed, too?"

"Only a little. I date one particular man. As far as everyone else is concerned, I don't date."

Her words and her smile and her hand on his chest emboldened him. "Want to go out on a date with me?"

"Only one date?"

He nodded. "Only one. A date that lasts a lifetime."

Her beautiful brown eyes sparkled with fun. "Is that a proposal, Mr Kent?"

If she wanted a proposal, she could have it. Right now. "Of course not," he said with a wide grin that diluted his denial. "It would be much too soon for a proposal."

"But that's what you want, isn't it? Marriage? Forever? Risking everything for one person?"

"That's what I've always wanted. But until last week, I didn't know who that one person was."

"Do you know now?"

He nodded. "Yep."

She toyed with his tie. "You are a very romantic man, Mr Kent."

"I believe in love. I believe in being with someone forever."

"I didn't believe in love."

"And now?"

"I believe in us."

Clark cradled her chin in the curve of his fingers, tilting her head until their eyes met. "I love you, Lois Lane," he said. "I don't think it's possible for me not to love you."

"I believe you." Her eyelids fluttered over a film of moisture. She smiled, flooding him with joy. "I love you, Clark Kent."

He kissed her, sealing promises made … secrets shared ... love affirmed.

Forever.

I guess I could go Darth Michael and quote almost the entire story but these passages were the ones that, to me, make the story work.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Yeah, Mike, I got misty-eyed! You happy?

Corrina, you are love evil ! I don't have any idea how this story could be improved. Nor have I sufficient superlatives with which to praise this beautiful work. You are indeed the mistress of matters of the heart. Not that many others don't write romance well - just that you've set the bar so high I can barely see it.

Thank you for sharing this vision of love and beauty.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Yeah, Mike, I got misty-eyed! You happy?

Corrina, you are love evil ! I don't have any idea how this story could be improved. Nor have I sufficient superlatives with which to praise this beautiful work. You are indeed the mistress of matters of the heart. Not that many others don't write romance well - just that you've set the bar so high I can barely see it.

Thank you for sharing this vision of love and beauty.

It doesn't surprise me Terry, as I said it would be difficult to not laugh .

Totally concur with your assessment of Corrina's work. What amazes me is that she can do this story AND do work such WHAM worthy work as Trusting You, Trusting Me. Simply amazing! hail Usually authors excel at one over the other.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/24/14 11:31 AM.

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Beautiful and perfect! I have no other words right now.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wonderful. I'm so glad we got to see the beautiful happy ending.

Thank you, as always, for a fantastic story.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Picture-perfect and beautiful. Thank you for a lovely story.

"I present to you, Mr and Mrs Shane and Jane McVane."

And Lois's trip on the plane was not in vain. That would have been a pain. grin

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Perfect as always. Great story and so well written. Can't wait for your next story, I so enjoy your writing.

Cheers
Elizabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Beautiful ending. smile

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Great story from start to finish. I absolutely adored the scene where Lois touches him with her pinky. She seemed so vulnerable there putting herself out there. I wouldn't mind a sequel at all, but I can already tell that I'm going to remember reading this story for a long time to come. Sarah

Last edited by sarah; 11/24/15 02:11 AM.
Merriwether
Merriwether
A delightful, satisfying ending, Corrina! Thank you for sharing it with us!

At the front, Shane was standing before the microphone.

"I know it isn't customary for the groom to make a speech before the bride arrives, but it also isn't usual for guests to come to a ceremony a week after the set wedding date."

Subdued laughter rippled across the gathering. Shane's head dropped for a moment. When he looked up again, his cheeks has blossomed red. "I want to apologise to all of you for the inconvenience I caused by cancelling the wedding last week." Shane glanced sideways to Andrew, who nodded encouragement. "Before she gets here, I want to tell you something about Jane."

Lois gripped her handbag as possible diversionary tactics scampered through her mind.
Ah! A very good choice, for Shane to make the grand gesture in public! Good thinking, and good for him for doing so. (And I like the encouragement from his brothers. My personal canon for this universe still says they staged an intervention and told him they would pick Jane over him if he didn't man up. lol)

I also love the image of Lois tensing and gripping her handbag when he started. I can totally picture this and would have had the same reaction.

"Last Friday, I knew that I was marrying the woman with the biggest heart in the whole of the United States," Shane said. "This week, I discovered her heart is even bigger than I'd realised. Last Friday, I knew Jane had an amazing capacity to see the best in everyone … to overlook their mistakes. This week, I really, really needed that quality in her."

He stopped. Breathed. Rubbed his thumb across his cheek.

The guests waited in silence.

"I love Jane," he said in a voice stretched brittle. "I will always love her. And I intend to spend the rest of my life making up for what I did to her last week."

He pressed his hand against his mouth, looking down. Andrew stepped closer to him, and the five brothers stood in a line of solidarity.

And nicely done here, too. It's quite amazing you can convey his regret and emotion in so few words, but you have done so very deftly. Without even going into his head or having someone confront him, we can see that he realizes the devastation he'd caused the previous week.

"Love is patient, love is kind."

"It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

"Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth."

"It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
Oh, nicely done, using the Corinthians passage -- such a mainstay of weddings -- to let Lois measure Clark by those standards. love

Though I still hope every word was a Knife. In. Shane's. Heart. devil rotflol

"I present to you, Mr and Mrs Shane and Jane McVane."
Bwa ha ha! I know I gave Lois crap for being so obnoxious early in the story, but I give her a pass on this one. That is hilariously ridiculous. lol

Lois curled her pinkie finger around his.
OK, the pinky thing? I'm swooning. So freakin' adorable.

"Only one. A date that lasts a lifetime."

Her beautiful brown eyes sparkled with fun. "Is that a proposal, Mr Kent?"

If she wanted a proposal, she could have it. Right now. "Of course not," he said with a wide grin that diluted his denial. "It would be much too soon for a proposal."
Hahaha, silly Lois! The proposal comes tomorrow. sloppy

A delightful ending to a very enjoyable story, Corrina! Now let's all get some wedding cake! party

Last edited by KathyB; 05/25/14 12:09 AM.
P
Blogger
Blogger
P

Loved it Corrina! clap

*sigh* So sweet.

Thankyou.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm joining the chorus of praise! Wonderfully beautiful story! Well done!! notworthy clap thumbsup

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Beautiful, do I see a sequel in the making?
I hope there will be a part two....we need to see how they celebrate each new power discover, Lois meeting Clark's parents n Clark meeting the daily planet crew. Please please can there be a sequel?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I beta'd this part, first I was breathless at the sheer brilliance of the writing.

Then I melted into a big puddle of WAFFy goo. Because it's just so darn romantic I couldn't help it. smile

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am also a puddle of WAFFy goo smile...

Corrina--this was beautiful! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect ending, seriously. I'll spare highlighting the whole chapter to prove my point, though, and emphasize a few of the parts that really touched me the most...

If she went to him now and spoke the words engraved across her heart, there could be no turning back. No doubts.

Lois searched for inner assurance.

And found it.

She wanted this.

She wanted Clark.

This part was such a great way to start this section. It's now or never...no going back. She needs to get it all out there--express what she KNOWS she feels for Clark. I just really love the honesty with herself.

I also thought you did an amazing job with Shane's speech. And I think it was something that was really needed as reassurance that Shane knew what he had done--how he had hurt Jane. It really showed that this wedding was happening for all the right reasons btw two people that loved each other.

She was here.

He hadn't actually seen her, but her presence was as real as if she were sitting beside him.

I really enjoyed Clark's thoughts as the wedding was going on. How he knew she was there...how he didn't know what to make of it. Showing his doubts and also his love for her. You did a great job of conveying his emotions, especially with this part:

The reading was going to be like navigating a minefield. He would have to concentrate on the words. Keep his focus fixed on the trees. Pretend he didn't see. Didn't know. Didn't care so desperately.

I also REALLY enjoyed how you added the Corinthians reading into the story--such a beautiful passage--and it fit so well with Lois' thoughts. So creative notworthy

And then:

That is how Clark Kent would love. How Lois was determined to love him. "Look at me," she murmured under her breath. "Please, Clark, look at me."

Slowly, his head lifted, and his eyes crashed into hers, setting off a thousand mini-explosions that cascaded through every part of her body. He swallowed. He drew in a long staccato breath. "Love never fails."

This A-mazing part party. Can't tell you how many times I read this. Something about her murmuring to him--him actually being able to hear her--and then their eyes finally meeting. The words 'his eyes crashed into hers' were priceless. You definitely created a 'moment' btw them clap

With the outer tip of her smallest finger, she touched the small ribbon of skin between his pants pocket and the cuff of his shirt.

He flinched. Not in body; but somewhere deep inside where he harboured his hopes and dreams.

Lois waited, matching his forward stare, her whole being concentrated on their tiny sliver of connection.

His elbow flexed, lifting his hand from his pocket and bringing it to hang by his side.

Lois curled her pinkie finger around his.

Yeah, as mentioned before...the pinkie finger scene was such a touching/romantic moment btw them. You captured such an interesting time--where they both care so much about each other, but have so many doubts about what the other is thinking/feeling. It 'worked'--and in such a brilliant way. You conveyed such longing and such uncertainty. LOVED it hail

I also really enjoyed how you brought them back to that gazebo...great idea.

"No raindrops today," he muttered.

And back to some of their memories, like the raindrops on the sweater. I really loved this line--and placed at such a great moment.

"Waiting?" he gulped.

"Waiting to spend the rest of my life with you."

His eyes slid shut for a moment, and when they opened, they were damp and shiny and extravagant with joy.

dance This part really melted me to 'goo'. All doubts removed. Clark knows how much Lois loves him. Perfect!

Huge fan of this story, Corrina. One of my favorites clap

Mike M stated:
Totally concur with your assessment of Corrina's work. What amazes me is that she can do this story AND do work such WHAM worthy work as Trusting You, Trusting Me. Simply amazing! Usually authors excel at one over the other.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through TYTM right now. Can't even say how much I have enjoyed it. Have not been able to put it down (some amazingly late nights up reading lately--but oh-so-worth-it! smile ). Don't want it to end...

Love your work, Corrina
Laura smile

Last edited by LMA; 05/29/14 12:28 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by LMA
I'm about 2/3 of the way through TYTM right now. Can't even say how much I have enjoyed it. Have not been able to put it down (some amazingly late nights up reading lately--but oh-so-worth-it! smile ). Don't want it to end...

Love your work, Corrina
Laura smile

Laura, I (like you) went on a marathon reading of TYTM. It was and is worth it. Corrina has the ability to spin a tale that is both depressing and uplifting all at the same time (a very difficult thing to accomplish). The basic story is VERY depressing but the way she had Lois working and dealing with Clark throughout the story made it uplifting at the same time. Something about it just clicked and Clark's comment early on about Lois providing Hope hit home for me. I can handle the depressing issues in the stories as long as there is Hope in the underlying story telling. The stories I don't like so much are the ones that emphasis the hopelessness. You need to finish it as I thought the last 1/3 was the best part of the story, the first 2/3 laid the groundwork for the redemption part and not just of Clark. I think you will like it a lot.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for your words, Mike. I'm probably approaching 3/4 of the way done right now. It's a truly amazing story smile. I've so enjoyed seeing both Clark and Lois learn to depend, trust, and be there for each other. True, the subject matter was depressing at the beginning, but the story, as a whole, so far has been amazingly uplifting and inspiring. Totally the type of story that I love...

Yep, Corrina--you are amazing! Thanks for sharing your talents with us...

Hopefully looking forward to some reading later tonight, but the 2 and 4 year old sorta wore me out today...A late-night mocha tends to do the trick though wink

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
A belated 'thank you' for the wonderful FDK for my story ...

Mike Glad you enjoyed the ending. A WAFFy story has to have a good ending. smile

TerryThanks for your kind words, Terry.

Amy Thanks for letting me know you read and enjoyed.

Victoria IMO, WAFF needs a beautiful ending. Glad you liked this one.

Debbie rotflol

Elizabeth Great to hear from you, Elizabeth. Next story coming up soon. smile

Lady L Thank you.

Sarah The pinky scene was one of the first to gel in my head. A lot of the rest of the story was built around that. I love that you liked it, too.

Kathy It was your FDK for earlier parts that made me spend a little more time on Shane's apology. He was nothing more than a device to help get Lois and Clark together, but you were right - after what he did to Jane, we needed to know he was truly sorry.

Princess L Loved getting FDK from you!!!

MM Thanks.

Seme I'm just not very good at sequels. I have ideas for sequels for many of my fics, but I never seem to get inspired to write them. I doubt this one will ever have a sequel - I don't have any ideas and I said all I wanted to say in the story. Sorry! But thanks for asking - it's always nice to know you wanted more sloppy

Io Many times, your reaction is the first I get. You know how much I appreciate you being my BR!

Laura You give such great FDK. And a bonus - some TMTY comments as well. Two very different stories - thanks for reading both of them. (And Mike, too!)

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment. As mentioned above, I have a short (2 part) story ready to post.

Corrina.

L
Blogger
Blogger
L
Thanks for a great story! I really enjoyed it!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard