Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I enjoyed the story--I'd like to see where you go with it.

I liked the movie too.

Like the location best, though. Mackinac Island is one of my favorite places. Many trips as a child, honeymoon and then more trips. Highly recommended. Go in June to see the lilacs! Know what you're in for if you ever go to Mackinaw City for the "Tractor Parade" and especially don't take your newly rescued dog to the "Tractor Parade"!!

(For those in farming communities, a "tractor parade" isn't cool restored John Deere, Allis and Farmall tractors like you would think. That would be the "Mackinac Bridge Antique Tractor Crossing". Think more 150 18-wheel "tractors" starting the parade in St. Ignace all blowing their air horns and making so much noise they can be heard in the Mackinaw City, 5 miles away. Painful in close proximity and you'll probably end up carrying your cowering dogs back to your hotel.)

Shallowford
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Intriguing start to a story.

It's interesting that there's some debate here about whether Somewhere In Time was a happy movie. With most movies, it's pretty clear whether it's happy or sad, but I can see why this one is so ambiguous. I've never run across anyone but my husband, though, who shares my opinion that the movie is disturbing. The guy is a creepy, obsessed stalker! I don't find that romantic at all. Then the ending was just depressing.

Despite my general dislike for the movie, I'm eager to see where the story is going.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I read more about Mackinac Island, where the movie is set, and the Grand Hotel on the island. No automobiles are allowed on the island, and provender is brought over by boat from the mainland and then moved on the island via horse-drawn dray. People can hire a carriage, take a horse-drawn taxi, or ride a bicycle if they don't feel like walking.

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
My local news had a story on The Grand Hotel today and made me think of this story. http://www.9and10news.com/story/264...rn-michigan-mackinac-islands-grand-hotel

Sarah

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
While there is a very loud semi-tractor parade that Shallowford mentioned, there is also an antique tractor parade. It took place just this past week. Here's a short video from the local news about it. http://www.9and10news.com/video?clipId=10554670&autostart=true

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard