Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Missed an earlier chapter, or need to go back and read one again? Mike M and LabRat have put together a helpful TOC that collects them all. Chapter 34 will be posted Tuesday.

I really appreciate your comments on past chapters! What do you think of this one?

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Whoa, that was out of line for even a member of Congress. Wouldn't he have his own security detail? Also, did this Norman Graves even STOP to consider the fact that she and her family had a federally approved security detail? It sounds like they didn't really think this thing through. Frightened much?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Munroe is one of those idiots who think that just because he's an elected official that he's above the law. (FYI: Christina, most Congressmen and Senators don't have bodyguards, but I'm thinking that this one will need one soon for all the stupid things that he says.) I'm glad that Kara was sure enough of herself that she refused to do what he said. He doesn't have a leg a stand on here. I agree that he didn't have things well planned. I can't even start to think of the family he vetted as better placement for her than Dr. Jordan (himself perhaps).

If Munroe pushes too hard, I could see Kara just refusing to have anything to do with the US, anymore. Other countries would be more than happy to give her residence.

That Bradley Rosner sounds a piece of work who wants Supergirl to become the US's personal slave just because she live here.

No, she’s flying off to help the commies. Excuse me, the Russians. And for photo-ops with cute kids in California
So, he doesn't believe humanitarians should help others outside of the US irregardless of their political leanings? What is Supergirl supposed to do? Hover above someone drowning and ask "Excuse me, but I'm only supposed to save American citizens with a voting record. Do you fit that description?" Um... Weren't those kids from a school she saved from a madman with a bomb?

He spread his hands. “No one wants to attack Supergirl directly because you can’t attack a girl of eleven who saves people’s lives on a regular basis. It’d be political suicide. So they’re going after you instead.”
Isn't that what Rosner did by attacking Kara's judgment and age? Although, I must state that it is my honest opinion that Kara has more common sense at 11 than this guy does at his age, whatever that might be... which I think must be up there since he still thinks of Russians as Commies who should die instead human beings. (i.e. Cold War mentality.)

“Miss Kent, my name is Norman Graves and I’m from the Delaware Department of Children’s Services. I have here an order for your removal from the custody of Dr. Emily Jordan. We will be placing you with another family. Would you please come with us?”
I can't see them doing this without a hearing with Emily and Kara. I mean, I could see them trying to do this, but not having a legal leg to stand on. In the end, if Munroe wins this legal battle, all Kara has to do is say 'no'. Do they have a way to stop her? Would anyone want them to use it, if they did?

Before they could put that plan into action, Robin Gilbert and Christie Howell stepped forward. Robin said, “Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to step aside.” Cameras were flashing.
hyper Yea! Robin, super secret service agent. dance

“Excuse me?” said Graves, annoyed. “Young lady, I’m a state employee on official business. This isn’t a time for jokes.”

“I agree completely, Sir. I’m Robin Gilbert, United States Secret Service, and these girls are under our protection. Once again, I request that you step aside.” She pulled out her ID and showed it.

Graves squinted at the badge and scoffed. “That’s a very convincing fake, Miss, but no thirteen-year-old is a Secret Service agent. I don’t know if your friends here put you up to this, but go away and let me do my job or I’ll have to call the police.” He moved towards Kara and Caitlin, who tensed.
Graves just lost all his credibility and possibly his job with that move, trying to take Kara away from DHS.

Robin replied, “That’s not for us to decide, Congressman. Our instructions are that these girls go wherever they want, or wherever Dr. Jordan wants, with no exceptions. Right now, I believe they want to go home.” Caitlin and Kara nodded. “If you want to take it up with someone, you can go there and discuss it with DHS.” The cameras continued to flash; the entire confrontation was being recorded.
I love her! She's so great. Also, I hear Batman is looking for a partner.

BATMAN: What? [Linked Image]

Munroe's an idiot if he thinks using Superman's daughter in any way would ever be an option. Superman might be a nice guy who never wants to kill anyone (or hurt them, if he can avoid it), but that doesn't mean he can't ever get mad or use his force if necessary. Didn't Clark once say, don't come between him and Lois? What if this Munroe character tried to come between SM and his daughter? That's... what's the opposite of common sense? Can Lois hit him, please? grovel Or Rosner. One of them. I'm so glad Kara has people on her side willing to fight for her.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
First, thanks for commenting! This chapter seems to be getting people's attention. wink

Also, did this Norman Graves even STOP to consider the fact that she and her family had a federally approved security detail?
I can't see them doing this without a hearing with Emily and Kara. I mean, I could see them trying to do this, but not having a legal leg to stand on. In the end, if Munroe wins this legal battle, all Kara has to do is say 'no'. Do they have a way to stop her? Would anyone want them to use it, if they did?
Kara is a foster child, not adopted. Emily has no legal claim on her at all. Legally, she is only a contractor to the state of Delaware, paid by them to care for a minor.

My understanding of the way foster care works is that placement of children is entirely at the discretion of the supervising agency (in this case, Children's Services). If they decide they want to move a child from one foster parent to another, that are entitled to do so. Whether that child has Secret Service protection or not.

Of course, expecting Kara to go along with these shenanigans does indicate pretty poor judgement. As President Hunter reflected, Munroe is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

That's… what's the opposite of common sense?
Steve Allen wrote a book titled Dumbth. I think that's as good a term as any.

One of the saddest things about this story for me is that as ignorant as Munroe is, he's not an unrealistic character. :-(

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Debbie G:One of the saddest things about this story for me is that as ignorant as Munroe is, he's not an unrealistic character. :-(

--------
Very true, which is why this chapter got my emotions rolling all over the place. Great writing.

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by DebbieG
Originally Posted by Virginia
That's… what's the opposite of common sense?
Steve Allen wrote a book titled Dumbth. I think that's as good a term as any.
That sounds like a good term for what these men are.

One of the saddest things about this story for me is that as ignorant as Munroe is, he's not an unrealistic character. :-(
All of your characters are very realistic, which is how you've been able to pull all of us in to care so much what happens to them. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Munroe is one of those idiots who think that just because he's an elected official that he's above the law. (FYI: Christina, most Congressmen and Senators don't have bodyguards, but I'm thinking that this one will need one soon for all the stupid things that he says.)
I thought that changed when Gabrielle Giffords was shot. After reading some, though I guess that's not the case.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
My favorite line
“Many people view Kara as an all-powerful genie who grants wishes. They want some wishes, or better yet, they want the lamp.”

Finally Kara channeling Lois...
Kara frowned. “But I wouldn’t do what people like that wanted anyway! I’d just fly away, and I’d take Emily and Caitlin with me if I had to!” She looked around earnestly. “I don’t want to leave here except to go home, but I will if I have to.”

To further channel Lois she needs to make this point crystal clear when they have the interview. She is doing what she is doing because it is the right thing to do and she (and Emily) will decide what she does or does not do, not the United States government and certainly not a certain U.S. Congressman or a moronic radio show host.

I love this story.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you so much for the kind comments! I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is a a very tense time in Kara's life, but it is also wonderful that she has people who care.

Still, one cannot help but wonder how her Mom and Dad are going to take all this unwanted attention forced upon their child?

Come one Deb! Next part!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They talked about Bailey’s art class, Megan’s piano certificate, even Kevin’s comics — though he did talk about how all Supergirl stories were on hold while the writers and artists tried to figure out what to do. With Kara so much in the news, Supergirl’s current fictional incarnation suddenly seemed wrong.

Yeah, the DC comics writers are probably in a mode where they really can't compete with the real thing. Why would anyone read a Supergirl comic book when they can see the real Supergirl on their TV screen?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard