Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So, you're writing a story, and you have a perfect idea for a shocking twist that will leave the reader's jaw hanging as they suddenly realize the true meaning of everything they've just read! You evil genius, you!

Except...

well, readers are pretty smart, and let's face it, shocking twists have been done before. You're now pretty convinced that they will see your twist coming a mile away, perhaps even from the opening sentence. How would you rather handle it?

How Would You Handle Too-Obvious Twists?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/24/14 11:20 PM

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL. Herring's my name. Red Herring. But that's just me. /whistles innocently/ I try it out on my betas. If I can fool 'em, I can fool everyone! /okay, maybe not everyone./

Go off in a certain direction for long enough that people think they KNOW what the twist will be. Only make the turn at the last moment when they're least expecting it. evil

Sometimes, my twists are so out there I feel it isn't fair if I don't drop a bunch of clues so that some people will pick up on it. Then, I end up drowning the reader in the clues its not a big twist when it happens. (This is much easier if its a short story and the reader hasn't wormed it out of me during the last 50 parts. Michael is still 99% sure Lois will turn up pregnant in Wrong Clark, EVEN THOUGH I've told him, repeatedly, she isn't pregnant in this story.) Finding the happy medium is the one. Sometime you hit it, sometimes you end up with pancake on your face. /shrugs/ Can't win 'em all.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
If I'm convinced that the twist is something the readers will expect, I'll either abandon the story or come up with a new twist. My stories are all quite short (too short to insert many red herrings) and many of them live or die by their twists.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Interesting poll.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I chose other ... cause it pretty much depends. LOL. Short stories with a twist ... go for it, I guess. Longer stories ... definitely put in millions of red herrings. lol

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Kerth
Kerth
Agatha Christie was a master of this - her best example is "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." I imagine it felt obvious to her as she was writing it because she knew what she was doing - she could see all of the clues she was leaving. As a reader, when the twist was revealed, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it. I reread the whole book again from that point of view to see what I hadn't seen before. Brilliant! So write your story anyway. Have a beta or two read it without spoiling the surprise and see if they picked up on the clues too quickly. If so, see if there are lines here or there that could be reworked to help disguise the twist better. But most importantly, just enjoy the pleasure that comes from the process of writing. We'll all be here to enjoy your creation. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Write it anyway! And throw in whatever red herrings my evil muse comes up with in the process.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I always appreciate the double twist. Let 'em think they know what's going to happen and then totally blow their minds. No Way Out was a great movie example.

I once did a demonstration for a bunch of 12 year-olds. I had three glasses of clear liquid and a box of baking soda. As soon as I unpacked the soda a kid in the front row said, "I know what's going to happen. I know what's going to happen." And kept it up. So when I stirred a spoonful of the baking soda into the first glass and it turned GREEN he was the most surprised of the bunch. Then when the second glass foamed over even he appreciated the trick.

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Isn't that why Lois ends up with RED during the ARGH / Wanda Detroit arc? Because he's a red herring?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard