Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
If you missed an earlier chapter, or just need to catch up, all the chapters are collected in this handy TOC, thanks to Mike M and LabRat. Chapter 33 will be posted on Sunday.

When I was writing this chapter, I picked Mirny off a map based on its proximity to where I imagined the crash site to be, and because it has an airport. I didn't realize until I looked closer that Mirny is an interesting place in its own right, having an enormous open-pit diamond mine that is definitely the biggest hole in the ground I'm aware of.

Thank you for all the comments so far! What do you think of this chapter?

Top Banana
Top Banana
Debbie, you mentioned before that your daughter was one of your betas. If you don't mind answering, how old is your daughter? You seem to have the mental responses of a pre-teen girl down really close to pat so I wondered if she might be fairly young.

After the previous chapter of them having a lot of fun and relaxing it makes sense that this chapter would get back down to business. Since you are documenting the maturation process of Kara becoming a superhero this chapter was absolutely necessary and one best gotten out of the way before Munroe attempts to make an end run (which I am confident he will attempt) to gain control of Supergirl.

While I agree with Virginia about not wanting to be in Munroe's shoes when Lois and Clark show up and not because of Clark either smirk. Lois would/will skin him alive and roast the flesh over some campfire dance . When I referenced previously that Kara was Lois's daughter I really meant that at some point in the Munroe attempt to break up the family (which I believe he will attempt as he sees Emily as a roadblock to his desire to control Supergirl) the Clark-like mind mannered behavior will probably disappear and be replaced by an 11 year old version of Mad Dog Lane. That would be interesting to see. This chapter is also essential in the more complete bonding between Kara and Emily that would cement Kara's belief that this family is *her* family and she will defend it with everything she has got and she has got a lot to defend it with... OTOH, that bonding will make it much more difficult when Kara has to leave with her parents as eventually she must.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Well done.

I still expect Lois and Clark to show up when Kara is 30 or so.

I no longer expect her to be a well adjusted Supergirl by that time. It seems that they will need to back tract down the time line and find the best point to extract Kara.

I am looking forward to the Government attempts to control Kara becoming very nasty and damaging.

As I have said before , in part 15 the author set up the structure for time jumps.
“The time machine is still a time machine, right? If we arrive there long after Kara, why can’t we just go back and get her right after she and Tempus arrive?”

Wells frowned. “That is a possibility. However, doing so will change the course of events in that reality, and the longer after them you arrive, the more it will change. You will undo every effect of her being there, and she will lose all memory of anything that has happened after you remove her. You should take care to understand the impact before making such a decision.”

So clearly when L&C arrive and find their daughter after many years, they can decide the emotional scars and the elapsed time make it better to go back to an earlier time and rescue her.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Framework4
Well done.

I still expect Lois and Clark to show up when Kara is 30 or so.

I no longer expect her to be a well adjusted Supergirl by that time. It seems that they will need to back tract down the time line and find the best point to extract Kara.

I am looking forward to the Government attempts to control Kara becoming very nasty and damaging.

As I have said before , in part 15 the author set up the structure for time jumps.
“The time machine is still a time machine, right? If we arrive there long after Kara, why can’t we just go back and get her right after she and Tempus arrive?”

Wells frowned. “That is a possibility. However, doing so will change the course of events in that reality, and the longer after them you arrive, the more it will change. You will undo every effect of her being there, and she will lose all memory of anything that has happened after you remove her. You should take care to understand the impact before making such a decision.”

So clearly when L&C arrive and find their daughter after many years, they can decide the emotional scars and the elapsed time make it better to go back to an earlier time and rescue her.

I put a similar scenario forth around chapter 5-6 time frame. The difference was in my scenario Kara was well adjusted (we had not gotten into the government side of the story). Even if she had emotional scars from the treatment of her youth, what if she was 30 and married with children? How would L&C handle that kind of a situation? How could they jump back in time, grab Kara, and in the process destroy their grandchildren who would have never been born? The possibilities are endless when you begin working with time/dimension jumps and nothing is impossible (to paraphrase Herb).

At this point in the story Debbie would have to do some time jumping herself in the story to cover that much ground time wise, handle the L&C vs Tempus trap, find Kara, and handle the resolution in 21 chapters as the first 32 chapters have only covered a few months to time. I have seen more bizarre jumps in time and space in other fan fiction but Debbie seems to be more documentary in her story telling approach.

While neither scenario is very likely given the way the story is laying out it makes for interesting possibilities...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you for the comments!

Debbie, you mentioned before that your daughter was one of your betas. If you don't mind answering, how old is your daughter? You seem to have the mental responses of a pre-teen girl down really close to pat so I wondered if she might be fairly young.
Or maybe I'm just emotionally immature. wink

It's been a long, long, long time since I was that age, and it was a very different era, so I read some recent novels for middle-school girls to try to understand better what life is like for them today, how they think. Also some books for parents of middle-school girls. smile

I still worry Kara and her friends come across a little too mature for their age. Writing kids is hard.

Lois would/will skin him alive and roast the flesh over some campfire
That is a pleasant image, but Munroe's not really worth the effort. If it wasn't him it would be someone else; he's not Lex Luthor. He's just the public face at the moment.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Superman had tried to grab the spinning airplane by its wing and it had snapped right off.... She floated to the one remaining wing and reached under it. The fuselage creaked as she lifted it into the air, but thanks to her… whatever it was, it stayed in one piece. She nodded; Superman in the movie must have been doing it wrong. She was sure her dad would never make a mistake like that.

heh heh heh.

Although I do have to admit that the scene was very exciting. Plus, Superman uses all his powers in it.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard