Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Just finished reading it so I thought I'd post here and see if we can get discussion going about it.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A book I really enjoyed. It's set in the 1930's, and Clark Kent has grown up in Kansas and has discovered that he has these weird powers. The author works in Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor, and others. There's a good sense of time and place. Well worth reading.

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I enjoyed it as a period piece and it's really neat to see it tread the line between fantasy (only in the sense that Clark doesn't have normal abilities, his Kryptonian origin isn't present and that's largely the case in the 30s and 40s) and reality. It had a "Grapes of Wrath" feel to most of the book, especially the travels with Willi.

I was torn on Lois, though. I wasn't keen on how she acted towards the end. With that said, Lois had always had moments where I take a step back like that (when I think she's written correctly, many don't think that, but I do). This was especially evident at the very end.

I was a little taken aback by something Clark said at one point towards the end. It was in a litany of depression that Clark seemed to be going through after watching "Our Town" (that he happened to be at at the same time as Lois). At some point he though (non-sequitor-like) "and Lois won't give me a tumble" (I know what it means). I thought it was funny considering his litany at that moment. I did like how he ended it though, with Lois seeing his face sans glasses for the first time and having an inkling of attraction to CLARK for the first time (calling it "strangely like affection" but we know it had to be "I think he's Superman" sort of thing) and the beginnings of the triangle clicking into place. It's that "click" that is missing in the new52 for me.

Reread the last paragraph/section and whoah. It gave me chills. I think it might have been and even better explanation of the Clark/Lois dynamic than anything else I've see up to this point (including them as "soul mates").

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard