Chapter 5: The Trivial Pursuit Night

“Hey Cuz. Happy belated birthday,” came a ridiculously cheery voice.

“Cindy. Nice of you to call,” Lois replied, sarcasm evident in her tone.

“Hey! I’m trying here.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Sure you are, Cindy.” Lois sat down on the love seat and dropped her head backwards. When the line went quiet she raised her eyebrows, waiting. Her free hand felt behind her blouse and pulled out the heart necklace.

“Look, can I come over. We’ll spend some time together, mend some bridges. Please?” Lois sighed and closed her eyes. She sounded genuine. Suddenly Lois felt like she was seven years old again; playing with her baby sister and cousin, at family gatherings. Mothering them, teaching them, showing her the fun that could be had climbing the gigantic tree in the back yard. They were the three musketeers.

“Okay. Trivial Pursuit tomorrow night?” Lois gulped in fear.

“Sounds great. Can’t wait.”

Cindy hung up but Lois was left with the phone still to her ear. What if this goes wrong again? We’ve tried this so many times. We just don't get along as adults, no matter how close we were as children. She lowered the phone and dropped it to the couch next to her. Bringing both hands back up she fingered her necklace again. Clark? He’s a calming influence. I’ll invite him round.

Lois smiled and stood up ambling into the kitchen. Actually, a devious glint entered her eyes. Cindy is a really nice girl … with some questionable ex-partners that she's trying to get past. It’s just that ... well ... we’re cousins and we have this rivalry thing since teenage years. And we're attempting to get past that ...

She filled herself a glass of water and turned around, resting herself back on the sink.

Clark and Cindy. It’s possible. And I’d get to be related to Clark then.

At that thought a sudden, excited feeling stole into Lois’ heart. Related to Clark!

Turning back suddenly she slammed down the glass.

Nope, that’s what you’re trying to avoid. Cousin-in-law is close enough.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark raised his hand to knock and then dropped it. What lame excuse can I use this time? Quickly making a decision he lifted his hand again then knocked.

While waiting for Lois to come to the door he spent a few moments pondering the strange day he’d had. Lois had been so confusing. She asked for his help in mediating an evening with her cousin but then she’d made the strangest of comments and given him the weirdest of looks. He caught her staring at him on many occasions over the course of the day but he could not figure out her thoughts.

When the door swung open he was all ready to produce his excuse for being late but, instead of Lois standing there, it was Cindy.

“Oh, hi, Cindy.” Clark smiled. It had been a couple of years since he’d last seen her. That had been at the wedding for one of her few short-lived marriages. She looked quite different this time; shorter hair, not quite as heavy makeup. There was also an air of maturity that hadn’t been there when she’d last been in town. Maybe time has finally helped her to grow up?

“Clark.” She drew out his name lingering over the ‘ar’. She smiled and tipped her head to one side. “You’re late.” She reached out her hand and pushed his chest with her forefinger.

“Um, yes.” He smoothed his shirt back down with his palm. “Sorry about that.” He glanced down to his shoes and then adjusted his glasses. “You see ... there was ... um,” he stammered.

Cindy cut him off when she grabbed his arm and dragged him in. “Oh, Clark. You are such a pushover. I was only teasing.” Once he was inside she let go of his arm and then closed the door behind. Clark stopped in shock when he saw Lois exiting her kitchen. She had on a pair of soft grey sweat pants and, what Clark suspected, was his missing university sweater. Her hair was tied up in a high bobble. His mouth dropped open and he blinked in surprise. She was dressed so casually, but he had never seen her looking so beautiful.

“Clark. Fashionably late as usual.” Lois’ quip brought him back down to earth.

“Um, there was an accident ... um ... traffic’s backed up all the way down town.”

“Accident?” Lois put down the wine glass she held in her hand and rushed to her window. “Anything that big must be newsworthy. Did Superman show up?” She turned back to Clark.

“Um. Yes.” He tried to sound nonchalant.

Lois picked up the glass and took a drink then put it back again. “Cindy, are we ready?” she queried then nodded towards the coffee table.

“Wait up cuz. Our guest here needs a drink first.” She rested her hand on Clark’s arm and he turned to look at it. “You sit yourself down, Clark.” She led him over to the couch and, mild-mannered farm boy that he was, he allowed her to sit him down. She leaned over to look him in the eye. “So, what can I get ya?”

“Um, wine is fine, thank you Cindy.” Clark felt uncomfortable but didn’t really know what to say. He glanced over to Lois hoping for help but she was spreading out the Trivial Pursuit board on the coffee table.

“Come on, Cindy. We’re nearly ready.” Lois shouted loud enough for Cindy to hear in the kitchen.

“You need some patience, Lois.” Clark jumped when he heard the voice in his ear. Cindy was directly behind him and crouched down. Her mouth was only inches from his ear. She stretched out her arm and passed the wine glass over to Clark then stood and walked round the couch to join her cousin.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois peered through the crack she had created by opening the refrigerator door and standing as if she were looking for something in there. She grinned and nodded to herself. Lois Lane you are the best.

She hadn’t even said anything to Cindy. She’d actually gotten carried away with ‘making up’ and it had gone surprisingly well. Maybe it’s a good thing that Clark was late. Gave us all that extra time.

But, the moment Cindy had laid eyes on Clark she had been flirting outrageously with him. Lois chuckled to herself at how uncomfortable he looked. He’d even widened his eyes in terror once or twice but after a while he’d finally settled into the ‘ambiance’ of the evening. Maybe it’s the wine. How many has he had? Enough to be ‘mellow’ or maybe enough to be ‘reckless’. Not that I’ve ever seen him ‘reckless’, she realised and frowned.

She looked back to the crack and smiled whilst watching Clark try to get the question cards back off Cindy. Poor Cindy, thought Lois. She was doing her best to act ‘seductively’ but Clark was fully focussed on the game, and on trying to win, and on watching out for any ‘cheating’. Clark couldn’t stand any cheating.

Okay. How long have I been over here? Lois tried to think whether it would be too obvious if she stayed in the kitchen area much longer. She glanced at her watch. Hmm, I could possibly get away with a couple more minutes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark split his concentration into two. While continuing to talk to Cindy, which he had to admit was … interesting, he also listened for Lois. She’s been gone for quite a while. It doesn’t take that long to get a drink.

His concentration wavered momentarily when he realised that he could actually hear her heartbeat. It was pounding away steadily from somewhere off behind him ... the kitchen. How long had he been able to hear her heartbeat? A little shock and awe whispered across his mind.

“Clark!” came a shout from beside him and he turned to see Cindy with her head resting on her hands, elbows on the table. “You’re going to lose, Clark, if you can’t keep your concentration.” She smiled through her lashes then fluttered them.

Clark sighed and dropped his head then reached over to his drink. Thankfully, or maybe not, the alcohol didn’t affect him.

Suddenly his hearing buzzed and he honed in on the sound of screams. Twisting to look in the direction of the window he gulped.

“Uh, Cindy. I’m just going to pop to the bathroom.” He rushed off and, the moment the catch shut on the bathroom door, he sped out of the bathroom window.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois strode from the kitchen and back into the living area carrying a new bottle of wine. “Hope you two haven’t been looking at the next few answers while I was gone.”

She dropped her shoulders when she just saw Cindy. Clark was nowhere in sight and Cindy was looking out of the window into the night sky.

“Clark’s visiting the little hunk’s room,” Cindy commented idly. Hunk? Lois raised her eyebrow. She placed the bottle down on the table and wandered over to stand next to Cindy. “Lois, you’ve met Superman haven’t you.”

Superman, where did that come from?

“Yeah!” She smiled a little to herself. “He’s saved me once or twice. Why’d you ask?”

“Oh, he just flew by.” Cindy turned away and rested her head on the window pane. “So, what’s the deal with you and Clark then?” She grinned suggestively at her cousin.

“Me?” Lois pointed at herself. “And Clark!” She laughed. “Oh, we’re just good friends. But I notice you’ve been throwing yourself at him all evening.”

Cindy pushed off and walked over to pick up one of the wine glasses. “Not that it’s done me any good.” She turned back and gesticulated with the glass towards her cousin. “Lois, is he as naive as he makes out, cause sometimes I think he’s the nerdiest hick on the block and then other times. God!” she melted down onto the couch. “I look behind those glasses and behind the stiff shirts and I can just imagine the body he has, and I can just feel his strength of character.”

Lois blinked a little. This was what she was hoping for, so why did she feel like there was a fire-pit in her stomach.

“And these last few years, since the last time I saw him. He’s so much .... more ... both of those things.” She sat up and glared at Lois. “How come you’ve never seen it?” Cindy seemed shocked at the thought.

Lois gulped. “Who’s ... who’s to say I haven’t. But Kent and I, we’re best friends, and colleagues. And that’s how it should stay.”

“Great.” Cindy smiled and bounced up and down on the couch.

Lois turned to peer out of the window just as a streak of red and blue went by.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark strode into the living area adjusting his shirt carefully.

“Ladies!” he spoke, announcing that he’d returned.

“Clark,” Cindy shouted and jumped over to him. “Come sit next to me again. See if you can come out on top this round.” When he looked down at Cindy’s face to see a ridiculously adoring look on her face he coughed.

“I think, uh, that Lois is going to win. She always does.” He turned and gave Lois a ‘help me’ look. She grinned at him and shook her head.

Clark glared at her in frustration. What is Lois doing?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So, I think we should watch a movie after this. What do you think, Clark? I could go make some popcorn?” Lois asked but didn’t wait for an answer. She just got up off the couch and headed for the kitchen, leaving him alone with Cindy ... again.

Opening the door to the refrigerator she peered through the sliver of a gap, as before, hoping to see the progress.

Come on Clark. You’ve drunk five, maybe six glasses. How come you’re not more relaxed? Every time Cindy touches you ... you jump like a scared cat.

She sighed and turned away to put some popcorn in the microwave. As the popping sound gradually increased she felt her frustration level rise in tandem.

This isn’t as easy as I thought. Finding Kent a date, finding him a partner, a relationship, is going to be more challenging than I expected. Well, nobody would ever say that Lois Lane is one to back down from a challenge.

She pulled the popcorn out of the microwave and tipped it into a dish. She turned to view the living area and struggled to work out what was happening for a moment. As she popped a piece of sweet popcorn in her mouth, her eyes widened.

Cindy was leaning all the way over the coffee table advancing on Clark and he was backing away. She grabbed hold of the Trivial Pursuit board and then flung it away. Crawling over the table she climbed down as Clark stood to try and back further away. She continued advancing. Bringing her hands up to his chest she murmured something. Her hands travelled further up and touched his glasses. Clark jerked away at that movement, but Cindy grabbed his shirt and pulled him back.

Lois saw Cindy begin to rise up on her tiptoes and her mouth dropped open when she realised that her baby cousin was about to kiss her best friend.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."