Chapter 26: The Eye

Emily slowly became aware of her surroundings and heard, “She’s coming around.” She opened her eyes and saw she was in a hospital bed. Maria Santarosa was taking her pulse.

She looked around woozily; her head was swimming. Jarrod Gardiner was there, as were Caitlin, Kara, and Fred Douglas. “What… what happened?”

“You were kidnapped,” said Douglas, sounding annoyed. “Apparently some Miami crime boss with more greed than sense thought he could control Supergirl by holding you hostage. They injected you with a sedative, probably a narcotic, and were taking you out to sea when Supergirl apprehended them.”

Emily experienced a mixture of feelings on hearing this, but one surged to the forefront of her attention. “Basin!” she croaked, and Maria hurried to comply, handing her one just in time.

Emily heaved noisily for a minute until her stomach was empty, while everyone politely looked elsewhere.

She took some tissues from the bedside table and wiped her mouth. “Uhnh. Definitely a narcotic. Urp,” she belched, and blushed deeply. “Excuse me.” Maria left her a new basin and took the used one into the bathroom to empty.

“There’s more,” said Douglas. “In her hurry to save you, Kara used her abilities in public at school. I’m afraid the secret is out.”

Emily sighed. “I’m so sorry, honey.”

Kara came over to hug her. “It’s OK. I’m just glad you’re safe.” She was trembling. “I was so scared!”

Caitlin joined the hug and added, “I didn’t hear about it till the Secret Service pulled me out of class. It was all over by then but I was still freaking out.”

Douglas seemed to soften. “I’m very sorry this happened to you. We were concerned, but we didn’t think someone would be this brazen. Well, brazenly stupid.” He sighed. “I’ll let you rest. I hope now you’ll understand why we feel you need round-the-clock protection.”

“You—” Emily grabbed for the basin and heaved again. “Ugh. You won’t get any argument from me.” She fell back heavily in her bed.

• • •

Click.

“In our top story: Supergirl’s secret identity is a secret no more. Speculation of the last few days was confirmed when eleven year old Kara Kent of Milford, Delaware was exposed as the Girl of Steel. Found abandoned under mysterious circumstances on October 19, she lives with her foster mother, Dr. Emily Jordan, and foster sister, Caitlin Jordan, in a modest cottage in the small city in central Delaware.

“A bold kidnap attempt against Dr. Jordan this morning forced Supergirl into action in front of her sixth grade classmates, revealing her secret to everyone but allowing her to save her foster mother. Later tonight we’ll go inside the lives of the family of the world’s first real superhero, but first—”

Click.

“—single mother worked her way through medical school while caring for—”

Click.

“—come from? How did she get here? Why is she—”

Click.

“—who is caring for the Girl of Steel? She’s a hardworking single mom from—”

Click.

“—liked by her classmates, who describe her as shy but friendly and cheerful. In a moment we’ll return with more on—”

Click.

“—dramatic rescue of her foster mother from an attempted kidnapping. Here is amateur video of the kidnappers’ ship flying through the air over—”

Click.

Emily was kept overnight for observation, over her protests. She was uncomfortable leaving the girls alone in the house after the day’s events, even with Secret Service protection. The girls felt the same way: they were clingy. Two cots were placed in the hospital room for them.

They watched TV for a few hours for want of anything better to do. It didn’t matter which channel they turned to because they were the news on nearly every one.

They watched half mesmerized, half appalled as their names, faces, and story were repeated over and over and over. Twin photos of Kara and Supergirl appeared endlessly; her name was parsed and speculated on. Emily and Caitlin’s painful family history was dragged out and examined. Every aspect of their lives was dissected. Long-forgotten photographs from years past resurfaced. Candid photos of the three of them were shown, photos that Emily had had no idea were being taken. If they weren’t a gross invasion of privacy she thought she might have liked copies of some of them.

Despite all the attention and all the detail, Emily felt that the media were painting the picture that people wanted to see, rather than the unexciting reality.

She was particularly uncomfortable with the degree of credit being given to her for guiding Supergirl. In her mind it bordered on hagiography. Kara had only been with her for a few weeks! Emily felt that everything Supergirl was came from Kara herself and from her family, the Kents. All Emily had done was try to keep Kara safe and give her a home and family until she could return to her own.

Even though they were being portrayed in a positive light, she felt that their lives were pinned by a merciless gaze that could turn malevolent at any moment. It reminded her of the Eye of Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

She realized that never again would she or Caitlin be an anonymous individual: she would always be Supergirl’s foster mother, and Caitlin Supergirl’s foster sister. They were now celebrities.

The two Secret Service agents stationed outside the door were heralds of the new state of affairs. Even though they’d be going home in the morning, Emily knew that home, and life, would be different.

All along she’d worried about the impact that exposure would have on Kara, how it might warp the girl’s life. For some reason it hadn’t occurred to her that it would upend hers and Caitlin’s in the same way.

• • •

Things were rather cramped in their living room between the three of them, Mr. Douglas, Jarrod, and two other agents. More agents were outside. A respectable distance from the cottage the press lay in wait, kept away by city police. The neighbors were not happy.

“Your landlady would like you to move. We also feel that security, and handling the press, will be easier in a different location.”

Emily nodded, dazed. She’d been numb ever since she’d been wheeled out of her own hospital to a waiting bulletproof black SUV, both girls at her side, with cameras clicking and flashing and reporters shouting questions the entire time.

When she’d inquired on the trip home about her job and school for the girls, Mr. Douglas had said that they needed time to “make arrangements.” Today would be spent with them at home while everything was worked out.

There hadn’t been much to do, at least for Emily. In mid-morning an agent had arrived with schoolwork for the girls so they wouldn’t be too far behind when they went back. Neither had been happy about that, but Emily had envied them having something to occupy themselves. She’d caught up on some reading, but felt like she should be doing something useful. By lunchtime the cottage had felt like a cage.

Mr. Douglas had finally arrived after lunch to brief them. “Fortunately, we were able to persuade her to give you thirty days. We’ll be looking for a place that’s easy to secure and which affords some privacy for you, while still being within the school district for Milford. In the meantime we’ve installed the necessary security here.”

Emily wasn’t attached to the cottage and had always planned to move to a nicer place when she had the means. This wasn’t the way she’d planned to do it. “Am I going to be able to afford this?”

“The government will be covering the cost of housing your family for as long as Miss Kent is a member of it.”

Emily was caught by surprise. “Oh! Uh, th… thank you, that’s very kind. I… wow.” She tried to regain her wits. “How far away are you looking? Will we be able to walk to school?”

Mr. Douglas sighed. “If you walk you’re putting yourself at risk and exposing yourself to the press. There’s no problem with recreational walking; even the President likes to get out and stretch his legs sometimes. But for your regular, predictable movements, like going to work or school, you should travel by armored car.”

“But—”

“Dr. Jordan, the government is treating Miss Kent the same way we would the child of a visiting head of state. You are part of her family. We were willing to give you more leeway when she was incognito, but now that everything is out in the open please allow us to do our jobs in providing security for you three.”

Emily just nodded, subdued. She was still ashamed of her part in enabling the debacle of the previous day.

“We’ve discussed security with the school. They are willing to accommodate you for now. Your sister and Miss Kent will be able to attend as usual. There will be an agent with each of them at all times. These agents are young women and are trained in providing security for children in a school environment, so they shouldn’t be disruptive.”

“You have agents like that?” asked Kara.

Douglas showed a rare smile. “Of course. The President has two girls about your ages. Many foreign visitors have children too, except none of them are bulletproof like you.”

Kara smiled back. “Do I really need someone to protect me?”

“The agent will be there to protect the people around you, too.”

“You said they were willing to accommodate us ‘for now,’” observed Emily.

“Naturally, the Principal is concerned about the reaction of the other parents. She’s willing to give it a try, but if things get too out of hand she wants to meet to discuss other arrangements.”

“And the hospital?”

“They too are willing to give things a chance. You won’t be working in the E.R. any more as screening all the people you’d meet there is impractical. If you only see patients who’ve already been admitted we feel we can manage security.”

Emily nodded in subdued acquiescence.

“The Administration would like to give you time to settle into this new situation. After that there is the issue of the press. They would very much like to interview the three of you. That is something we can advise you on when you’re ready to consider it.

“One thing you should know is that the President is considering how to release the information Miss Kent gave about her life prior to coming here. Right now the public and press only know about what happened once she was found here. We’re asking all the people who know the full story to keep quiet about it until the President decides how to proceed.”

“What’s the issue?”

“That’s a matter of national security I’m not at liberty to discuss.”

Emily, Caitlin, and Kara looked at each other.

“What about our friends? Can we see them?” asked Caitlin.

“You’re welcome to speak with them on the phone, as long as you don’t divulge anything we’ve asked you not to. We’d recommend holding off visiting them for now.”

“We can’t see our friends?” asked Kara, disappointed.

“I wouldn’t say ‘can’t.’ It would just be better to wait until things calm down some. The press usually leaves minors and the friends of celebrities alone, unless they’re newsworthy themselves. But right now, everything you do is of intense interest, so if you visit anyone openly there will be swarms of reporters watching. You could meet your friends out of the public eye, though.”

“So can we see our friends, like, in school?” asked Kara.

“Yes, we think so. The press isn’t allowed inside, and your principal has… let’s say, requested all the students to respect each other’s privacy more when posting online.” He sighed. “Given what happened yesterday, they might even listen.”

Emily hoped he was right, because otherwise she’d have to look at moving the girls to a different school. She knew they wouldn’t be happy about that.

“And we go back to school tomorrow?” asked Caitlin.

“No, next week. Today was the last day before Thanksgiving break.”

Emily put her face in her hands. “With all the craziness I completely forgot about that. I haven’t done any shopping, or preparation!” She looked around. “I’m not sure I want to spend the whole long weekend cooped up here, either, but what choice do we have? Usually we go out and visit friends but that’s not possible this year.” She sighed. “I guess we’re stuck.”

Mr. Douglas nodded. “That’s the last thing I wanted to discuss with you. If you’re interested, there’s an alternative.”

“Oh?”

“The President has told me you’re welcome to spend the holiday weekend at Camp David. You can even go this afternoon, if you like.”

Emily blinked. “Excuse me? Camp David?”

“You know, the Presidential retreat?”

“Really?” asked Kara, excited.

Emily shook her head. “I’m sorry, Mr. Douglas, I know what Camp David is… I was just surprised. You’re serious?”

“Perfectly serious. He knows you’re under enormous pressure, and that all this,” he motioned at the Secret Service agents in the room, “is new to you. He thought you could use a chance to get away. That’s what it’s there for.”

“Isn’t it… well… for the President?”

“It’s for the President’s use, yes, but that includes hosting guests, even when the President isn’t there.”

“Will he be there?” asked Caitlin.

“The First Family will be spending Thanksgiving at the White House this year; there’s a large dinner planned with about fifty people attending. He thought you would prefer some peace and quiet.”

“That’s… very kind of him,” said Emily. Something about the offer made her uneasy, but she couldn’t put her finger on it. Still, it was not the kind of invitation one turned down lightly.

“Believe me,” said Douglas, “the President understands what it’s like to be at the center of public attention.”

• • •

“Wow… you’re really going to spend Thanksgiving at Camp David?”

Kara nodded, though Bailey couldn’t see her. “Uh-huh. I’m supposed to be packing a suitcase right now.” She paused. “It sounds exciting and all but I wish I could spend Thanksgiving with you guys. Or at home.”

“It’s only for a little while; it’s OK. We all understand. After seeing what happened to you I’ve decided I never want to be famous.”

Kara laughed without humor. “Yeah.” She looked up. “Uh oh… I have to go. Emily is giving me her ‘you should be doing something else’ look.”

Emily spread her arms, pantomiming “Yes, so…?”

“I’ll call you back later, OK, Bailey?”

“Sure thing. Hey, you have to tell us all about Camp David, OK? Bye!”

“OK. Bye!” She closed her phone.

She looked up at Emily again. “Thank you for letting me use my phone like this. I know it was supposed to be only for emergencies.”

Emily smiled. “Since you can’t see them in person just yet it’s the least I can do. Now come on, let’s get you packed. The car is ready to leave.”

While Kara could pack at super-speed she needed Emily to help her select what to take, and her foster mother moved at human speeds. It took a few minutes to pick out enough clothing, books, and other items to last through the long weekend.

As Kara was closing the suitcase Emily said, “You know… you don’t have to wear the glasses anymore if you don’t want to.”

“I know,” said Kara. “But I’ve gotten used to them. I kind of like them now; they help me keep Supergirl and me separate. And I’ll be wearing them when I go home.” She wilted. “If I go home.”

Emily put an arm around her and squeezed. “I’m sure they’ll find you. Remember, you’ve got Superman looking for you.”

Kara nodded. “Yeah. And Mom, too.”

“So just give them some time, OK? Are you ready to go?”

“Uh-huh.” She paused. “Emily?”

“Yes, sweetie?”

Kara hugged her. “Thank you. For being my mom away from Mom.” She smiled.

Emily laughed, for the first time in days. “You’re welcome, sweetheart.”

• • •

The rear door of the armored SUV made a solid thunk as Jarrod closed it. He climbed into the front passenger seat; the other agents were in a second vehicle.

Kara was looking around the interior of the armored limo, curious, but Caitlin was staring off into space and biting her lip. Emily put an arm around her, and she looked up with a brief, fragile smile.

“We’ll be OK, honey,” said Emily gently, then kissed the top of her sister’s head. She paused, then repeated, “Everything’ll be OK.” Caitlin nodded uncertainly, then turned to look out.

Their convoy pulled out of the driveway and passed through the police barrier that kept everyone but the local residents away from their street. Emily hadn’t realized how much of an inconvenience they were to their neighbors.

Two policemen on motorcycles led them through the streets of Milford. The three of them stared out the windows, watching the citizens stare back. Emily wondered how anyone with similar security could possibly stay in touch with the reality of normal people.

• • •