Print Thread
#256098 07/10/14 08:57 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, since the post itself is not a piece of original fiction, but more of a solicitation for such a piece.

I've written an original universe story which I would love to share with any of you who are interested in reading it. I don't want to post it on the MB, however, since doing so would be considered an act of publication, and that would cut down on my other publishing options. But there is no rule that limits the number of beta readers a story can have, so... If you are interested in becoming a beta reader for an original universe story of mine, please send me an e-mail or a PM some time in the next two weeks, and I will gladly send you a copy of the story. All feedback appreciated.

Oh... what is the story about, you ask? Here's the elevator pitch: The story is both a celebration of language and a cautionary tale. As a result of a major terrorist attack, the United States no longer has free speech -- but not in the way you are probably thinking. Everyone can still legally say whatever they were allowed to say before, but all communications (both online and in person) are computer monitored for possible key words or phrases that might impact national security. The equipment and labor for monitoring is expensive, and to pay for it, a word tax has been imposed. Therefore, while people are still free to say what they want, they must pay a tax to exercise that freedom. This story is the high-tech, modern day equivalent of an epistolary story: It is told entirely through the blog entries of a linguaphile.

Incidentally, I came up with this premise several months ago, but hadn't had time until my summer break to work on the story. When I first thought of the premise, it seemed pretty far-fetched to me, but with all of the subsequent revelations about the NSA, now I'm not so sure.

The story is about 3,400 words long.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sounds as if you've created a very scary future for us, Lynn.

There's a children's book called "Phileas's Fortune" [Linked Image] by Agnes de Lestrade and Valeria Docampo, which we have and love. Well, I love it. We read it at least several times a year (my kids have TONS of books, so any picture books we repeat shows an appreciation for it in my opinion). The second editorial review of the book (the more accurate of the two, in my opinion, since we've had the book since my older child was in preschool and THEY were never scared of the imagery of the pictures) on BN.com gives the basic jist of the story where words need to be bought and eaten in order to be spoken. In France, where the book was originally printed, it was called "The Great Word Factory". As a lover of words, Lynn, I believe you'd be one to appreciate this story about the wisdom of choosing your words carefully. smile

Last edited by VirginiaR; 07/10/14 01:49 PM. Reason: Expressing myself better

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the recommendation; it looks intriguing.

A couple of other books that similarly contemplate language, communication in general, and thought are Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn and The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon. I enjoyed both of them, and both influenced my writing of this story. I especially recommend the former.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

A very belated "p.s." to your post: Yeah, the future I painted is pretty scary, but the tone of the story itself isn't really grim; it's more thought provoking and, towards the end, I hope, haunting. And much of the story is actually pretty upbeat. (What can you expect? It is I, after all, who wrote the story.)

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
A very belated "p.s." to your post: Yeah, the future I painted is pretty scary, but the tone of the story itself isn't really grim; it's more thought provoking and, towards the end, I hope, haunting. And much of the story is actually pretty upbeat. (What can you expect? It is I, after all, who wrote the story.)
I always expect your stories to be 'thought provoking' as I'm constantly thinking about them long after I've read them. I don't expect anything less from a Lynn SM story. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I always expect your stories to be 'thought provoking' as I'm constantly thinking about them long after I've read them. I don't expect anything less from a Lynn SM story.
Wow, that's quite a compliment. Thank you. smile

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Just an update: I am planning to put this story on Amazon.com on July 24th. When I do, as one of the conditions of publishing of there, I will no longer be able to distribute electronic copies of the story. So if anyone is interested in reading it for free, please e-mail me before the 24th and I would be happy to send you a copy. All I would ask of you is that you pass along to me any typos you spot or any other feedback you may have.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Just an update: The story is now "live" on Amazon.com. For the next 90 days, I will not be able to distribute the story electronically, but if anyone here is still interested in getting it for free, send me an e-mail. Amazon lets me choose five days of the 90 day period in which I can make the story available for free. I haven't decided what those dates will be, but if you e-mail me that you are interested in the story, I'll let you know when it is available gratis on Amazon.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard