Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I was able to find time to post this morning, after all.

If you need to catch up on prior chapters, LabRat and Mike M are maintaining a helpful TOC. Chapter 26 will be posted Friday morning.

Thank you for the comments on prior chapters! What do you think of this one?

Top Banana
Top Banana
“Where should I put it?” she called.

That one broke me up.

I guess it was only time before the bad guys decided to act. Emily will be given no choice in the protection decision now.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Whew.....need to catch my breath after that one

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Tailee
Whew.....need to catch my breath after that one

Yes a bit more excitement that the previous parts. Most of the story up to now has focused on the emotional side of Kara's predicament. I guess things will heat up for a while.

The bad guys still have no idea what her capabilities are so they handled the snatching of Emily like they would anyone else. Kara was able to find them in a flash because they completely underestimated her capabilities. A good thing would be for her to do exactly opposite of what Clark did when he made his debut and tell the press exactly nothing about her abilities keeping the bad guys in the dark for as long as possible. I suspect her foster family and the Secret Service will be telling her just that.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
“I… I… I have to go!”

Comprehension dawned on many of the students’ faces, but others were confused and mistook her meaning. Someone snickered.

Ms. Noether was confused as well; she frowned. “Class will be over in five minutes. Can’t you wait until then?”

Emily’s heartbeat was getting harder to hear, farther away; Kara was frantic. “I have to go right now!”
------------------
I'm sorry, but I totally giggled at this point. She is worst than Clark at the excuses... She has no excuses at all!

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
@mike: but all the bad guys would have to do is read the comics right? The government is already trying to duplicate kryptonite. So unless Kara's powers are significantly different from the comics, I can't see her abilities staying quiet. I think there just was not any good planning on the bad guys side (luckily for Kara and co.)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know about Kara's excuse being a bad one. It sounded better than Clark's "I've got to return this video" excuses. AND it was honest. clap It was perfect Superman double-speak.

I'm glad Kara was able to save Emily. Too bad she had to blow her cover in order to do so. Luckily, Midford is smaller than Metropolis and so Emily was easier to find. I hope all Kara's friends and associates at the school who talked about her before feel guilty at being the ones who endangered her family. I wouldn't be surprised if they would worry about being targeted by the angry middle schooler.

I didn't like the school principal singling out Kara as if she encouraged the media attention as opposed to being the victim of it. It wasn't HER fault that they descended upon the school but the other students who gossiped ONLINE about her. So, one *could* argue that the students invited the 15 minutes of fame upon themselves (fame from being interviewed as classmate to "Supergirl"). By outing Kara, they invited danger into their small town.

How is Secret Service going to protect everyone in Kara's new life? Not only her foster family, but her new friends and their families, as well as her therapist, teachers, and other classmates? Wouldn't she want to protect them equally as much as those she's close to? Unless they can convince the kids in her class to not tell anyone, then she MAYBE she could be in the clear.

I wonder if a law could be put on the books for outing the information of the non-Super families of a hero and thus putting them into danger? Kind of like outing the whereabouts a protected witness (not that that is illegal, but I wonder if it should be). Is the right to KNOW more important than the RIGHT to privacy / safety? You wouldn't really be able to charge the middle schoolers (being that their underage and typically prone to not thinking their actions through. Plus, all they did was gossip about the possibility) but the media should know better and by picking up the story the fault would be in their hands. Such a law could protect many celebrities in the public eye. Without invited permission (i.e. the Kardashians, or attending a charitable event with said celebrity), it would be illegal to follow, photograph, or discuss the family of a public figure, unless they do something illegal (and, thus, they fall into the public domain themselves). Just curious, if our society has fallen too far to rein in the gossip hounds with such a law.

Okay, that's a bit off topic, but your story sets the mind to thinking along those lines.

Originally Posted by Mike M
A good thing would be for her to do exactly opposite of what Clark did when he made his debut and tell the press exactly nothing about her abilities keeping the bad guys in the dark for as long as possible. I suspect her foster family and the Secret Service will be telling her just that.
I agree with Tailee in that Supergirl's powers are already known from the comics, TV shows, and movies. If she had come out with another name, it might be possible, but then these problems probably wouldn't be plaguing her quite so quickly either.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Posted by VirginiaR:
Is the right to KNOW more important than the RIGHT to privacy / safety?
-------

That reminded me of Michael Haney's story : "Just One Day Away"
(http://lcfanfic.com/stories/2004/justone.txt), where Lois and Clark have that exact argument. That was a good read too.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I agree with Tailee in that Supergirl's powers are already known from the comics, TV shows, and movies. If she had come out with another name, it might be possible, but then these problems probably wouldn't be plaguing her quite so quickly either.

Of course who knows how clever the bad guys in Milford are. They did have a boat to take Emily off-shore so they at least had some financial backing. However the boat had no lead lining or sound proofing to help mute Kara's powers so it took no time for Kara to find Emily. The next ones might be better prepared. Also I haven't read the comics in years so I am unsure just how they might have evolved but when I did read them the idea of a super-hero being able to track someone close to them by their heartbeat was not even on the table. The first time I heard that was with Lois and Clark. Someone with more recent comic exposure might know more.

As I said previously I suspect the time to consider removing Kara from school may be fast approaching as the next possible step could be to take over the school and hold the students hostage. How would Emily and Kara feel then?

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part. Great fun.

Ms. Frye regarded them for a while. “No. No, she’s been a very good student.” She smiled at Kara, then grew serious again.

“Very well, we’ll try letting things be for a while. But if things get out of hand then we’ll have to decide on a new plan.” She tilted her head and raised an eyebrow.

Emily blushed slightly. “Fair enough.”
I've only just started when I got hung up on the above.

No not fair enough. Emily should reply,

"and before we do discuss a new plan please consult with the school district's legal counsel"

Ms. Frye: "Excuse me?"

Emily: "I think it is very important that before any such discussion you have a clear idea on the limits imposed on the school district by the law. Don't you agree?"

Ms. Frye: "I don't see your point"

Emily: "Exactly my point, this entire discussion assumes you can take certain actions against Kara, not because of any violation of school policies or laws but as a response to the actions of others. I believe it is in the school district's best interest for you to consult with legal counsel "
================

Moving onward;

The kidnapping of Emily gives the police a clear reason to provide protection, regardless of Kara being Supergirl.

Time to get some doubles for Kara for a press conference and time for the local police to begin some serious confrontation with the visiting media.

Framework4
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Whoops! Everything's really getting out of hand, isn't it? I hope Clark and Lois show up soon.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, that's torn it. Supergirl has been outed. Things are going to be very different now.

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Whoops! Everything's really getting out of hand, isn't it?
Well, that's torn it. Supergirl has been outed. Things are going to be very different now.
Yes indeed.

I don't know about Kara's excuse being a bad one.
When I wrote it, she just said what she needed to do. As soon as I'd written it, I realized some people would take it the wrong way.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard