Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Something I've long wondered: Is the dance of the seven veils a real thing? And why would Lois know it?
The dance was not created for this show. It is the dance considered to be the one done by Salome to convince Herod to produce the head of John the Baptist on a platter.

How and Lois learned it is harder to say. The most likely explanation is that Lois took belly dancing classes at some point. Although there is no simple way to explain that.

I do have to say its connection with belly dancing, and the connection of belly dancing with middle easterners in some of the most problematic portrayals of middle easterners, combined with the fact that Terri Hatcher is a quarter-Syrian in ancestry, do seem at some level a little problematic.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Christina, thanks for the history lesson. smile Makes sense now.

Originally posted by Sue S.:
[b]So, after pacing the floor all night, while she sleeps on his bed, I can buy into the idea that he's finally reached his breaking point.
Sue, I agree with your assessment of George Reeves vs. Dean Cain versions of Clark. I think it would be in character for Clark to reach his breaking point and give in while she's coming on to him, but not hours later when he's had time to think about it. If he didn't know that she was drugged, then I can see Clark reasoning it through and finally deciding not to resist anymore, but he clearly knows that she's been drugged. [/b]
I think the theory of those who made the show is that even though she went to bed the power of the images she created doing that dance (which may have ended up with her in even less clothing then we see her in when he enters his room) has overwhelmed him.

Another possibility is maybe he already knows how long it will take the drug to wear off, so he is going in there half hoping there was more to Lois's crazed attraction for him then the drug.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Sue S.:
It would be WILDLY out of character for Clark to force himself on Lois, especially when he knows she's been drugged. But I've never seen what he did in PML as forcing himself on her. My reading then (and now) of that scene is that he was going to kiss her. I never thought it would get any further than that. When I say he's reached his breaking point, I'm talking about how he's valiantly resisted the temptation to kiss her for the past 48 hours. Under no circumstances did I think he'd push for much more than that.
I have to say that it is unclear. Especially since one earlier scene can almost be seen as Lois kissing Clark off stage.

However, we do not see them kiss at all in this episode, until Lois kisses Superman. I think though that would lead to assume that is all Clark intends.

I think the Clark has given in to kissing Lois, but is so patient that he does not even presume to kiss him, but gives her a chance to say no to his kissing her, works.

For one thing, if he intended to do more, and was just trying to give a last minute cover of giving her one last chance to say no, he would have kissed her and asked if she wanted to do more, not touched her side and asked for more. I think that he does not kiss her says he at least does not plan on stopping being a very patient man.

Whether he would have been able to stop at just kissing with a half-naked and fully willing Lois in his arms in his bedroom is another story, but I think he planned to stop at kissing.

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
So I was watching a TED talk and by rights, that pheromone shouldn't have worked at all on humans of any kind.

TED talk on the mystery of human pheromones

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Shameless self - promotion time.

I just became aware of this thread today, July 5.

I am currently posting my entry in the PML sweepstakes, Pheromone My Lovely - Matchmaker Style.

Before reading it you should read my story GGGOH - Matchmaker style. The premise is that L&C are married by the time they return from Smallville. PML - Matchmaker Style is a sequel based on that scenario. Basically - how does the fact that they are married affect the story?

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was just over at the CloisWorld Complete Guide to Characters on Lois and Clark looking something up and noticed when I clicked on Phil (the copier repairman) name, the actor was actually on the show twice:

Originally Posted by IMDb
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (TV Series)
Phil / Soldier #2
- Pheromone, My Lovely (1993) ... Phil
- Strange Visitor (From Another Planet) (1993) ... Soldier #2
What if Bureau 39 infiltrated (inPHILtrated) the Daily Planet to figure out what Lois and Clark knew about Superman, only to have their agent cornered in the copy room by Cat? Oooh! I've got to go make a Challenge out of this! [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by LMA
Clark's line, "Lois if you want me, I'm yours" has been in my head (again smile ) this afternoon, after reading more of this discussion...which led to pulling up the script and checking things out.

-From the script anyway, it reads like Lois was 'out' for most of the night on Clark's bed. (Clark comments that it's "very late" when Lois arrives--and then in the notes before Lois comes to, it talks of Clark being dressed in "last night's clothes".) Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit out there smile ...

Regardless of how long Lois was asleep--and how much of a trench Clark dredged into his living room floor that night wink --I still get the feeling from the scene that what Clark actually said, and what Clark actually meant, really aren't the same thing. I think out of a long night of frustration (the script actually mentions that the night before he was "frustrated beyond belief" when he is talking about her having no idea "how much he's thought about this--dreamt about this..."--her dancing for him/etc) he then blurted out his statement about him being hers, while meaning it a lot less 'physical' than actually implied....

Lois had made some really BIG comments before passing out--saying to Clark, hoping it's "not to late, for us, for happiness." She had also let the little admission out that she "loved" him and "wanted to spend the rest of her life" with him. And lastly, the embarrassing "You're here--this is my home" to Clark, awkwardly enough, as he's trying to get her to leave LOL smile ...

Anyway, that's a lot of pretty intense stuff for a 'boy from Kansas' to hear--a virgin--who is, I'd say even by this point, pretty well in love with this girl, his best friend...Clark states in the pilot that he wants to meet someone, have a family. From what we see of him by this point in the series, there's really been no one else--he's only been interested in Lois, in this serious type of way. What if he's talking about 'coupledom' here--wanting to be officially 'with' Lois, date Lois, etc? Surely he knew that she was pretty well delirious when she said all of this to him the previous evening, but after a few days of the woman you love coming onto you, and a night of trenching your floor, maybe your 'reality' of the overall situation is skewed enough to take these advances seriously...

To put all of the above in a lot more coherent fashion, I think Clark is talking about being with Lois (as a couple) and not in a physical sense. And yeah, maybe a kiss would have happened next--if she hadn't returned to normal--but knowing Clark, the way he was raised, his personality, his virginity, and most telling, his love for his best friend, Lois--nothing else would have happened beyond that, IMO. And it's not like they hadn't kissed by this point--SV's kiss was instigated by LOIS, MOSB's kiss (airing previously to PML) was instigated by CLARK. Though one was a ruse, and the other saying goodbye, they were both willing participants. They have a bit of history in this department already smile ...(and we won't even talk about HIM's kiss--airing right after PML wink )

Virginia originally posted:

Good point! Yes, Lois thoroughly took advantage of Superman by kissing him and nobody blinked an eye, mostly because of the broken 4th fall (or is it 3rd wall? ). Or is someone going to accuse Superman of taking advantage of Lois's obsession with him by faking it? He didn't ask for a kiss, only admitted that he loved her. She started it and he more than accepted it.
mrsMxyzptlk originally posted:

Superman is obviously bating her. I have no problem with that - he's actually telling her the truth, even though he's letting her assume things that aren't true. That is exactly in character.
This kiss I always thought balanced out--two 'wrongs' (people) making a right (a very nice 'right' to see, btw clap )...Clark faked being affected by the spray (but told the truth that he loved her), and Lois--though having the smallest, tiniest bit of resolve at first (but admittedly, not much dance .

Laura smile

I think if we take the series as a whole, Virginia and Sue's assessment is correct that it woudldn't have gone TOO much further than a kiss (maybe second base?). If we take season one as a whole and go by Levine's comments on the series at the time being sexier than the 2-4 were (FTR, I bet 4 wouldn't have been TOO much sexier than how it ended up but only because they were married in it) then we have to take this section of the series separately when we come to Clark's love life when discussing the episode on this. It is a bit problematic in that Clark knows it has something to do with the perfume (but not how the perfume works on them) and thus should have let his "angels" win out over his "devils". With that said, I'm willing to give him an out (I'm sure Lois would not have).

OK, hypothetical time: what if he was (somehow) able to get the perfume tested BEFORE the seven veils scene and the perfume wearing off? He'd know that these are REAL attraction from Lois and not something contrived by the perfume. What then?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
I just saw the dance of the seven veils mentioned in another series (the dance, not L&C). I remembered reading a discussion of its origin somewhere here but it seems to be covered already. Anyways, there is a scene in Adam West's Batman where the Penguin has hired a witch and her niece (or was that her daughter?) to distract some guards. They plan to do it with a love potion but because the lizards escaped it's not powerful enough. They then decide to amp it up by the dance of the seven veils as they call it. And I immediately recalled the scene in this other series.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard