Chapter 2 – The Other Plan

“Superman! Thank you,” came the shuddering voice.

“You are welcome, miss.” He nodded at the elderly lady who was hugging her husband so tightly. When the couple pulled apart they stared into each other’s eyes. He felt a little rude listening as he leapt away but it was hard to miss the conversation, especially with his enhanced hearing.

"Are you alright, honey?"
"Fine, sweetheart. Let’s just go home."
"Mmmmm."

Such love. A lifetime love? Wouldn’t that be nice! He sighed, realising that thoughts in that direction were unhelpful for Superman, even thought they were coming to him more and more often.

As he flew back to the office he tried to mentally prepare himself for Lois. It took less than a second. Years of practice had honed his 'sarcasm defence' superpower. What he still wasn’t prepared for, and hadn’t developed a superpower defence against, was his heart.

In the quiet silence of his apartment at night, or in the lonely sky, he allowed himself to run away with thoughts of marrying Lois; of making her go through with The Pact, or lately, of her even being the one to make him go through with it.

But it was a fantasy. He couldn’t allow himself that life. And, thankfully, Lois seemed to have forgotten, otherwise it would have been difficult to explain. How could he have gotten out of The Pact with his secret intact?

He landed on the roof and quickly changed back into his outfit. After more than eight years living a double life it was all second nature. The feel of the tight, Superman suit; the plain wardrobe; the glasses. Adjusting his tie and buttoning up his last button he descended the stairs back to the newsroom ... back to Lois.

She wasn’t at her desk. He went searching and glanced 'through' the conference room door. Opening the door, he entered and then he stopped in shock, his heart hammering suddenly at the sight of her. That’s when it truly hit him.

Lois was perched on the sofa just under the windows. Leaning over the back she was peering out of the window. The look on her face was one of awe, coupled with wistfulness. It made her look more beautiful than he’d ever seen before. His gaze was drawn down to her skirt and legs. He felt a familiar prickling behind his eyes.

Control, Kent. Keep your control.

When she turned away from the window and noticed him there she gave an unexpected smile. Her eyes lit up and sparkled.

That’s when he knew. He could deny it no longer.

I need her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois was staring down at the papers scattered over the conference table, but not really seeing them. She’d been waiting and waiting and checking her ‘fake’ e-mail that she’d set up for Clark but then Perry had called her into the conference room. Papers were now strewn all over the table and Lois had decided to leave Clark to sort them into some kind of order. That was the kind of thing he was good at.

“Come on,” she peered out back to her desk. “How long do these stupid sites take to make stupid matches?” Repeatedly pushing the refresh button on the web site and the send/receive button on her e-mail had made no difference so now she was playing the ‘patient game’. It wasn’t going very well.

She turned away from looking out at her computer and back to the papers from Perry. A whoosh going by the window caught her attention and she went running to the couch to peer out.

“Superman!” she whispered, heart beating rapidly. After eight years the sight of him still set her heart racing … even if her feelings, hopes and dreams weren't exactly the same any more. Eight years ago she had been head over heels for the man in blue. Now, there was overwhelming respect and friendship.

Craning her head around to see where he had gone she realised she’d missed him. He was out of sight. Sighing in disappointment she allowed herself to revel in a tiny bit of hero-worship for a moment. Okay, so it's not only respect and friendship, she admitted. Hearing the soft click of the door behind her she turned and a smile came to her face, unbidden, when she saw that Clark had returned. He looked stunned for some reason that she couldn't comprehend

“Clark, how was your interview?” she asked, then climbed down off the couch. “Did you see,” she continued without pausing to let him answer, “Superman just flew past.” She made it back to the table and began rifling through the papers, looking for her pen.

“Superman, eh?” Clark said and strolled in, nonchalantly. He closed the door behind and strode over to a nearby seat. “You know, Lois. It’s been eight years since he showed up. Surely he’s old news by now.”

“Old news,” Lois looked up in shock. “How can you say that? He’s the city’s saviour. He’s the world’s hero.”

“Hmmm,” was the only reply she got. He dropped into the chair but misjudged and it skittered out behind him.

Lois tried to stifle a giggle, unsuccessfully. “Clark, you are such a klutz.” He gave her that ‘and I have to put up with your quirks too’ look then stood back up and popped himself correctly in the seat this time.

“So, Lois,” Clark spoke. She looked up but he wasn’t looking back, he was focussed on the papers strewn everywhere. Lois expected him to ask about this new assignment. Instead he said the thing she been most dreading. Well, not quite most dreading, but it would easily lead onto that subject. “It’s the big day tomorrow. What do you want to do?”

“Do?” She questioned. “Tomorrow?” She stood and strode for the door, desperately trying to escape. She made it to the door before he replied.

“Your birthday.”

She froze.

“We always spend your birthday together,” he continued.

“Of course,” she answered lightly and opened the conference room door. Somewhere inside a little molecule of strength actually made its way to her brain and activated it again. “Best day of the year, Kent.”

“Every year.” He nodded at her and grinned.

She ignored the grin and paid attention to the pounding of her heart instead, striding away from the conversion and heading for her desk.

“So, what shall we do?”

“Um.” Lois found it impossible to think of anything as she settled into her seat. What if the subject of The Pact came up on the birthday? That's when they usually got around to discussing it, making dream plans for a fictional wedding, over the years. Thankfully she was saved by the ding-dong sound that indicated she had new mail. She gave Clark an apologetic smile and frantically looked for the mail, while he wandered off slowly, then slumped into his own chair.

Subject Title: Match found.

Her heart gave a little jump in anticipation. I can send him on a date instead. I’m saved. She clicked on the mail and opened up to see a brief profile of the prospective date.

Height: 5’8

A bit tall, but then what does that matter to someone Clark’s size.

Features: Blonde hair, blue eyes.

Yes! He has a thing for blondes.

Interests: Opera and fine dining

Lois frowned. Not what I expected.

Name: Brian

BRIAN!!!

Damn, this is for me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark watched the range of emotions flicker across Lois’ face. The e-mail she received was obviously causing an intense commotion in her thoughts. When he sensed that she’d finished reading he approached the subject once more.

“How about you come over to my place and we’ll just watch old movies. You bring the wine and the chocolate ice-cream, I’ll provide the entertainment.”

Lois’ eyes widened and Clark wondered what strange thoughts had gone through her mind at his words. After an almost imperceptible cough she replied.

“I’ll provide the movies, Farmboy. I’m not spending my birthday watching sports movies.”

Clark grinned. “Fine. Just as long as you’re there.”

He turned away and his smile dropped.

Okay, how did everything turn upside down in less than an hour? I thought I just flew back here reminding myself that a superhero couldn’t have this kind of life. He glanced back to Lois quickly and couldn’t help but think about the sweet, elderly couple he’d managed to save just minutes ago. But I want it so badly. Maybe it can work. Maybe I can do this.

He swung back around and tapped away on his computer.

So how do I win the delectable Miss Lane? Convince her to stick to The Pact. I’ll need a plan. And it has to be ready to go into effect by tomorrow night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comment away please.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."