Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Missed earlier chapters? There's a handy TOC, thanks to LabRat and Mike M. Chapter 22 will be posted Tuesday morning.

So, what do you think of this part?

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
So, what do you think of this part?
Loved it, great fun.

Chapter 22 will be posted Tuesday morning.
No way to talk you into a daily posting schedule?

“That was like the ‘Hello Kitty’ version of interrogation,” observed Caitlin. “It couldn’t have been any nicer if they hugged us.”

Emily tapped on the steering wheel as she waited to make a left turn. “Kara, let me ask you a hypothetical question: how would you feel if the government took you away from Caitlin and me, or took us away and put us in jail or something?”

Kara thought for a moment. “I guess I’d be pretty mad. I don’t know what I’d do, though.”

“And how do you think your dad would feel if you got hurt, or the government treated you badly?”

“He’d be really angry, but…” she shivered, “but Mom would completely blow her stack.”

“Oh,” said Caitlin. “Now I get it.”

Lovely, I enjoyed that your characters picked up on it right away.

Mike ... reviewed his notes....This story wasn’t going to be easy.
Having the Secret Service around may work out for the best after all.
So now we wonder what type of reporter Mike is, and what type of news service he works for...

I am hoping that we get a part where Lois and Clark arrive about 15 to 20 years after these events, forced to face a grown daughter who has been Supergirl for years, in a USA where everyone knows who she is and the Secret Service continues to protect her family.

And in which the USA has also manufactured dozens of false IDs for her over the years to allow her to do things like go to college as just another student.

I think it would be useful for them in thinking about the next step with their children.

Even in a world that somehow overlooks how much Clark looks like Superman, it will be hard to overlook that Superman's children look just like Lois and Clark's children.

BTW in matters of how the US Government deals with the Superman/Clark Kent secret identity issue, I recommend
"The Intern" By Marcus L. Rowland,
it is on the archive, great fun.
http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2007/intern.txt

==== off topic sidebar ===
By the way if you do bring in Power Girl, there is a fanfic tale, I don't recall the title or when I read it, that gives the best explanation for the cleavage display hole in her costume.

In that tale Power Girl explains that she got the idea from a Wonder Woman interview. Wonder Woman pointed out that all her infamous villains were female because the male ones were too busy ogling her to think straight.

In that same tale it was explained that reason Power Girl had such huge breasts, always much larger than Supergirl's in the comics, was deception. That as Power Girl she wore a costume with built-in augmentation and was careful to use makeup to highlight the breasts even more. Whereas in her secret identity she did not. Who in their right mind would ever think Karen Starr, a modestly dressed 32C was Power Girl?

There was more in the tale about that, much to do with skirts and clothing styles and the classic Lois and Clark POV that people see what they expect to see.

It was the best part of a tale that otherwise didn't go anywhere or have much A plot or B plot for that matter. It reminded me much of my own fiction, focused on a gimmick or side point with no real story to support it.

===== end of topic sidebar =====

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Whew, all caught up after being absent from the boards for a while! Wow, a lot has happened to Kara in the meantime. I'm happy to see that the President has a cool head about all of this. I mean, okay, the Emerald project is a little worrisome, but it's hard to blame them for wanting to have something to fall back on. And it doesn't sound like they're planning on launching any testing anytime soon, so that's good.

I'm far more worried about the reporter snooping around Milford. He could blow everything wide open if he's smart enough, and then it won't just be the "friendly" government quietly backing up Emily - instead, they'll have the whole media breathing down their necks. Yikes!

I'm hoping it doesn't take Lois & Clark too much longer to get there, though out of 53 chapters, I guess it can't be too soon either. Or maybe they get there but something happens to their time machine so that they're stuck too, for a while. Or whatever it was that Tempus was alluding to.

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
What framework4 said about showing up 15 or 20 years later... Seriously blew my mind.

That said. I really feel as though I was have a bait and switch. I thought the big bad was going to be the government, but now it seems as though the media will be. Which would kinda be ironic, considering Lois and Clark 's profession.

I want to (in jest) ditto the comment of hoping for a daily posting schedule. smile

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by Tailee
What framework4 said about showing up 15 or 20 years later... Seriously blew my mind

Hey the author laid the groundwork for that idea...
Originally Posted by Part 15
Lois frowned. “...The time machine is still a time machine, right? If we arrive there long after Kara, why can’t we just go back and get her right after she and Tempus arrive?”

Wells frowned. “That is a possibility. However, doing so will change the course of events in that reality, and the longer after them you arrive, the more it will change. You will undo every effect of her being there, and she will lose all memory of anything that has happened after you remove her. You should take care to understand the impact before making such a decision.”

Lois shook her head dismissively. “There’s no way I’m going to leave her there a moment longer than necessary.”
I simply figure that she wouldn't raised the point UNLESS she planned to use it.

I am rather hoping that is exactly what the author does, she is clearly laying the groundwork for Kara to be accepted and protected.

I would love to see Lois and Clark facing the choice of leaving Kara there for 15 or 20 years without them or undoing all the good she has done, leaving all those lives saved to die.

I also think the following is pointing the same direction
Originally Posted by part 5
Kara headed for class, somewhat surprised. Could she make friends here? It hadn’t happened in two lonely months at Larson.

In this new universe she'd made friends, ones who now know she is Supergirl and are still supportive. Something she didn't have back home. She has bonded with Emily and Caitlin. She has already saved lives.

What I am hoping for is that Lois and Clark arrive in the midst of a major disaster, something that is simply too much for even a 31 year old Super Woman, with 20 years experience to handle. Clark spins into his suit and helps and in the aftermath discover that this Super Woman is their daughter Kara and it has been 20 years for her.

I picture the 31 year old Super Woman with a full support team, something Clark would certainly envy, well integrated and happy. A support team Lois and Clark will need if they want to get home with or without Kara since Tempus is clearly in place to destroy their anchor point to their home 'Verse.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“OK,” said Caitlin as they drove through the streets of Milford. “Was that really the U.S. government or have we landed in Bizarro World?”

I love that you throw in all these little asides (homages). It's quite fun to read them!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Framework4
Originally Posted by Tailee
What framework4 said about showing up 15 or 20 years later... Seriously blew my mind

Hey the author laid the groundwork for that idea...
Originally Posted by Part 15
Lois frowned. “...The time machine is still a time machine, right? If we arrive there long after Kara, why can’t we just go back and get her right after she and Tempus arrive?”

Wells frowned. “That is a possibility. However, doing so will change the course of events in that reality, and the longer after them you arrive, the more it will change. You will undo every effect of her being there, and she will lose all memory of anything that has happened after you remove her. You should take care to understand the impact before making such a decision.”

Lois shook her head dismissively. “There’s no way I’m going to leave her there a moment longer than necessary.”
I simply figure that she wouldn't raised the point UNLESS she planned to use it.

I am rather hoping that is exactly what the author does, she is clearly laying the groundwork for Kara to be accepted and protected.

I would love to see Lois and Clark facing the choice of leaving Kara there for 15 or 20 years without them or undoing all the good she has done, leaving all those lives saved to die.

I also think the following is pointing the same direction
Originally Posted by part 5
Kara headed for class, somewhat surprised. Could she make friends here? It hadn’t happened in two lonely months at Larson.

In this new universe she'd made friends, ones who now know she is Supergirl and are still supportive. Something she didn't have back home. She has bonded with Emily and Caitlin. She has already saved lives.

What I am hoping for is that Lois and Clark arrive in the midst of a major disaster, something that is simply too much for even a 31 year old Super Woman, with 20 years experience to handle. Clark spins into his suit and helps and in the aftermath discover that this Super Woman is their daughter Kara and it has been 20 years for her.

I picture the 31 year old Super Woman with a full support team, something Clark would certainly envy, well integrated and happy. A support team Lois and Clark will need if they want to get home with or without Kara since Tempus is clearly in place to destroy their anchor point to their home 'Verse.

I actually entertained this sort of scenario back in the Part 7 FDK. The question I posed was would Kara want to go back if she had a family/friends and a new complete life in this universe. I had not even considered the impact on this universe if she stayed 5-10-15-20 years and then poof it had never happened. Now with a support system in the form of the US Government to cover the family and friends she might just decide to stay. I figure the longer it takes Lois and Clark to get to her the more entrenched in this universe she will be. When you add in the fact that she could be much older (years even?) it would make it tricky to bring her back and re-integrate her into her previous universe. I read a story (Nan Smith's First Venture) in which alt-Lois is pulled forward 5 years making her physically younger than Lucy but she was in her early 20's physically making it possible. Kara, if 5 years passes, would be 16 and that would be impossible for her to jump back to when she was 11 in her original universe. If they take nearly 20 years I can't figure out what they could do but leave her or jump back to the night of her kidnapping with the time machine and then allowing (as Framework4 pointed out) all the people she helped/saved to die.

I, like Framework4, still wonder if this story could go that direction. I mean the coordinates Tempus left could be 10-15-20 years in the future from when he left Kara. As much as Tempus loves irony that would seem to fit into his idea of a joke. It would make an interesting story.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 06/30/14 12:32 AM. Reason: Adding Nan's Story Title

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
No way to talk you into a daily posting schedule?
The posting schedule is mostly based on wanting to give people time to read each chapter and keep up. Also, the posting days are clustered around the weekend, on the theory that folks have more time then. I've thought about going to every other day, but 3.5 times per week is not a big increase. I'm worried that every day would be too much.

I'm very happy people are enjoying the story enough that you want me to increase the posting schedule, though!

BTW in matters of how the US Government deals with the Superman/Clark Kent secret identity issue, I recommend
"The Intern" By Marcus L. Rowland,
it is on the archive, great fun.
I had already read it and enjoyed it, though I never watched Veronica Mars and so missed out on some of it. It's still a great story even if you don't know anything about Veronica Mars!

I would not be at all surprised if the government knows about Clark. Actually, I would be surprised if they didn't.

By the way if you do bring in Power Girl, there is a fanfic tale, I don't recall the title or when I read it, that gives the best explanation for the cleavage display hole in her costume.
I'm sure there's all sorts of ways to explain it, but we all know the real reason it's there. wink

I love that you throw in all these little asides (homages). It's quite fun to read them!
Thanks! They were fun to write. laugh

Thanks again, everyone, for the comments and feedback!

DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
With all the discussion of Kara's age yesterday, I forgot to point out that it was her birthday. smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard