I've been procrastinating over starting posting this for far too long. All sorts of editing has been needed, and all sorts of distractions and responsibilities have kept me from completing it. Hopefully it's now ready. *fingers crossed*

Story Banner

Description:
Clark and Lois vow to marry each other at 35 if they haven’t found anyone else. It’s Lois’ 34th birthday and she keeps setting Clark up on dates with other women. Is she dreading marrying him so much?

The Wedding Pact
By KatherineKent
Rated G

Disclaimer: Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane and all other character and place names are owned by DC and/or Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. I own nothing ... except my fantasies -- which frequently include Clark/Superman.

Background: Lois and Clark have been work partners, and best friends, for years. The Prologue takes place a couple of months into their partnership (i.e. Season 1) but then the rest of the story takes place eight years later. The characters and sets will be familiar but the story-line does not follow the series at all. This is basically a ‘Hollywood Romantic Comedy’ film with Lois and Clark as the star-crossed lovers. Also, this takes place in the wider DC universe, but that only becomes clear later in the story and is very minimal. Lois and Clark are mostly based on LnC but there are elements of Comic Book, Smallville and Reeve Movies in some parts of their personalities.

Prologue – The Pact

"Clark?" Lois’ voice spoke across the line tentatively.

"Lois," he replied, the grin evident in his tone. "So, how's the birthday girl now?"

"Um, fine … you know." She trailed a finger round the edge of her wine glass. Rather than make the clear ringing sound of crystal it scratched and squeaked. Lois didn't care. It matched her mood, it matched her day.

"Lois," he repeated. This time she could imagine that look he got when telling her off.

"Hey, it's my birthday. I'm entitled to feel however I want."

"Of course you are. It's just … most people usually feel happy on their birthday," Clark explained. Again she saw his head tilt and raised eyebrows. She closed her eyes and his face became even clearer in her mind. He was patronising her, in that gentle and sweet way. She laughed, then hiccoughed.

"But most people don't spend their birthdays held hostage in a warehouse on Hobs Bay. And most people don't feel shamed beyond shame when they are finally rescued by Superman only to realise that they are still covered in the mud they'd trudged through following the suspected traffickers which then led to said hostage situation. And …"

"Lois." This time his voice was low and comforting. It made her pause in her ramblings and take another sip of the delicious red wine she'd decided to indulge in. Well, if she were honest it was more than just a sip she'd taken. But, considering her mother's … affliction … she'd been sure not to over-indulge.

"Oh," she groaned. "I'm so bad. There's no way I'll wake up tomorrow morning without paying for this wallowing. I can't believe it, Clark. I'm wallowing. On my birthday." She groaned once more and put the bottle back down. She closed her eyes and let her head rest back.

"Lois, do you want me to come over?"

Her eyes shot open. Clark! Come over! Do I want him to see me like this? A little tipsy and a lot depressed. No way! When the room blurred around her she let her head sink back again. A moan was all she could manage.

"I can be over in just a second, Lois," he pleaded with her.

"Okay," she capitulated.

It seemed only moments later when Clark was stroking her arm to rouse her. She realised that she still had the phone held to her ear. "Oh," she mouthed. "How'd you get in," she frowned and looked around the apartment.

“Lois, I think you’ve had too much.” No I haven't. It's just a little wine and a lot of post-kidnapping concussion, she attempted to reply, but the words didn't leave her mind. He reached out and took the receiver from her and settled it back in place. "Come on Lois, I think I'll put you to bed."

"Huh!" she questioned.

Clark slid his arms around her and she found herself being carried into the bedroom.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark tried to calm the pounding of his heart. Lois was in his arms, snuggling into his neck. Granted she was a little worse for wear. She was also incredibly emotional and vulnerable at the moment. He carried her gently and slowly to the comfort and safety of her bedroom.

He paused at the edge of her bed and stared at the woman in his arms. Was this just a little taste of heaven? His small crush on his partner of three months would most definitely receive a boost after this.

A voice at the back of his head poked him. Okay. It's more than a crush, he thought. Knowing he'd been captivated by her fiery personality and beautiful face since the first moment, he sighed in resignation. But she has no interest in me that way.

He laid her down onto her bed as gently as he could and then stood up. Gazing at her he reminded himself of the fact he was Superman. He had a higher calling. He was destined to be alone. And he'd even come to accept and embrace that philosophy, over time. He had no regrets over choosing to be a bachelor. None.

In fact, even though his heart seemed addicted to this women, his head wasn't all that sure if he liked her. She was rude, mean, stubborn … and she definitely had no respect or like for him. She'd made her feelings for him, feelings of resentment and loathing, well known during their first few weeks working together. He'd worked hard to change that view, and now, three months later, he was reaping some small rewards.

Lois shuffled over to the side of the bed and yanked the covers round herself. “Thanks. You’re a good friend, Clark,” she mumbled. He smiled and gave a silent laugh to himself. “Maybe the best one I’ve ever had,” her voice was getting quieter.

Clark widened his eyes in surprise. Really? Best friend, after only three months? Maybe my hard work has paid off even more than I expected.

“Thanks for spending my birthday with me.” He hadn't really spent it with her. They'd worked on an article this morning, and then he'd seen her home after her kidnapping ordeal. Well, actually that had been Superman, not Clark.

“You’re welcome.” He thought it better not to argue and began to leave the bedroom.

“Will you promise to spend every birthday with me, Clark?” She must have drunk most of that wine in one session, he thought. She can't possibly mean that.

“What would your future husband think? If there's anyone out there who could actually keep up with you day after day,” he joked at her with a soft tone and friendly smile.

Lois sat up and opened her mouth. Clark immediately expected a verbal tirade against him but instead Lois closed her mouth and frowned, her bottom lip quivering a little.

“What-” she stopped and gulped. “What if no-one ever wants to marry me?”

“Oh, Lois. I didn’t mean it that way.” Clark strolled over and sat down on the bed. "I was only joking. You know that."

“Do I? Do I know that, Clark? Who out there is ever going to want to take me on? Want to deal with my rants and tempers and tangents?”

“I can.” Clark replied. “Sometimes,” and he gave a lopsided smile.

“Awwww, Kent.” She reached out to punch him on the arm but her aim was off. “Okay, how about we make a pact.”

“A pact?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, when we are thirty five, if we are still, you know, single, then we’ll, you know, marry each other.”

“Marry..." His heart was suddenly racing. "Each other?” He flicked his hand in the air between the two of them. Clark lifted his eyebrows and leaned his head forward. Not a good idea. Yes, he was in lo - had a crush on her, but she definitely didn’t like him. And there was still Superman to consider. Superman could not have a wife. Hadn't he just reminded himself of his decision - which he was happy with - to be alone.

“Come on, Clark. I don’t want to be alone. I want a wedding. You’re my last hope.”

"Why thirty-five?" he tried to stall her … to keep from having to answer. To keep from having to examine his heart, and why it was fighting against his head.

"Well, thirty is too soon. I'm already twenty-six. Four years doesn't give me long to find Mr Perfect. But forty seems too far away. And what if I want children, it's too late by then."

Clark looked Lois in the eyes. Is she truly serious or is this the alcohol talking. When he saw her eyes start to water he realised she was serious. She was vulnerable at the moment and needed some reassurance.

Clark moved away a little and tried to finally assess how drunk she was. Will she remember this in the morning? Hopefully not, but it will comfort her tonight if I give her what she wants. Tomorrow we'll go back to the status quo.

“Ok, Lois. A … Wedding? … Pact. If neither of us has someone by the time we are thirty-five ... we’ll marry each other.”

“Pinky swear.”

“Huh?” Clark frowned.

Lois held out her hand and opened her eyes really wide. It gave her an adorable, little girl countenance and he couldn't resist her. Why would he want to resist her?

She didn’t reply, just nodded down at her hand and motioned. Clark sighed and linked his little finger with hers, then they shook.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So, comments and questions gladly taken ... pop over here.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."