Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
There is a helpful TOC if you need to catch up on earlier chapters, thanks to LabRat and MikeM. Chapter 20 will be posted Friday morning.

Since I haven't done so in a while, I'd like to again thank my beta readers, Morgana and my daughter, for their invaluable assistance in improving this story.

Thank you again for reading, and for your comments!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved this part. Loved everyone's reaction to Kara and Kara's reaction to the situation. Now we know this would never happen in RL as the Situation Commander would have never let an 11 year old attempt what he let Kara attempt even if she did have super powers as the risk would have been too great. He would have rather taken the heat from the situation going bad and many people dying that take the heat from it going bad because he put an 11 year old girl in the position to make a mistake. It actually might have been interesting to see how Kara would have handled a more hostile/resistant Situation Commander.

Of course a simpler solution would have been her flying in at high speed, picking the guy up, and flying him out of there. If he could not kill a bunch of kids I wonder if he would have killed himself alone. If he did of course Kara would not have been injured but the result would have been pretty traumatic to an 11 year old. Your solution while more complex and therefore less likely does fit with the story we are seeing. Of course discussing the reality of the situation solution when we are talking about a flying 11 year old girl with heat vision and being bullet proof seems a bit odd now doesn't it??

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Maybe until the next rescue Superman and Lois have arrived. By the way, where (or when) are they? help

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.

One thing we know is now the government will have lots of good photos of Kara.

I disagree with the idea that the Incident commander would not have used Kara. He was under orders to
“if encountered, observe closely; learn all you can; do not provoke.”
So the last thing he'd want to do is provoke her by refusing her help.

Framework4
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A very harrowing situation indeed to Kara to deal with. I agree that she needs a few days off. It seems to be easier to sneak away now that her friends know. If this had happened during the school day, though, it would have been difficult to get away for that long without explanation.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 06/24/14 04:24 PM.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Just wanted to drop a quick note stating just how enjoyable and addicting this story is. apparently my definition of addicting means I drop whatever work I'm doing at the moment to read the newest chapter. My efficiency isn't doing so great on the days you drop a new chapter. smile well worth it though.

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
DebbieG Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you for the comments, everyone! I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.

I didn't realize there was an actual title — Situation Commander — for Richard's position; thanks! I made up the organizational stuff hoping it was mostly right. smile

Maybe it is unrealistic that Richard was willing to use Kara, but I like to think he was willing to take that risk versus a high likelihood that many people would die. I thought about having Kara fly the guy out at super-speed, but having a person blow up in her arms would be pretty traumatic and I didn't want to go there. Yuck.

By the way, where (or when) are they?
In story time, Lois and Clark are between realities, and so "where" and "when" don't really apply. As Mr. Wells said, since there's no beacon where Kara is (at least, not that they know about) the point in spacetime where they enter Kara's reality could be off by up to eight weeks and/or hundreds of miles from what they are aiming for.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good point about using an 11-year old. One the one hand, she's eleven. OTOH, she's Supergirl, has powers, the guy has a directive from Washington, the situation is dire, and maybe, just maybe, they can use those superpowers to save the day.

The situation commander made a command decision and it worked out. I wonder if he has those three-o'clock-in-the-morning sleepless times where he wonders what would have happened if things went a different way. Somehow I think he does.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally Posted by DebbieG
Thank you for the comments, everyone! I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say.

I didn't realize there was an actual title — Situation Commander — for Richard's position; thanks! I made up the organizational stuff hoping it was mostly right. smile

In the USA the title is normally Incident Commander.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_Command_System
http://www.nycop.com/Stories/Summer_2002/Incident_Command_System/body_incident_command_system.html

Terms and codes
http://www.oregonlive.com/policescanner/

Framework4
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
In the realm of "better late than never," I am finally getting around to reading this story. I can understand why it won so many Kerth awards and why it earned you the "Best New Author" award. This is *fantastic*! What a novel idea.

It's obvious you know of what you write, both in terms of Superman lore (I am thoroughly enjoying catching all of the little Easter eggs you've planted regarding non-L&C Superman) and in terms of Delaware. Have you ever lived around here? A lot of what is in the story could have been learned with a little online research, but one thing I noticed that makes me think you may have been a local at one point is the Milford's folks distrust of how things are done in Wilmington. There is indeed a bit of a cultural divide at the Canal, and there is a certain amount of distrust inherent both north and south of it about the people and the way things are done on the other side. (I happen to live north of the canal. In fact, I work in Wilmington.)

I must admit to enjoying the local flavour you brought to this story. There are rarely stories -- fanfic or not -- written that take place in Delaware. I know that the precise location of Metropolis has varied over the years, but that it has, on occasion, been located as being somewhere in Delaware. I had even found one (and only one) source that put it where Wilmington is. (Unfortunately I can't recall which source it had been.) For obvious reasons, I like that placement the best.

I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of this story, and I hope you are in the process of writing another.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard