OP Offline
Features Writer
Any thoughts?

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
rotflol

So an early attempt at time travel affected his psyche to such a degree that things would never be the same. I haven't seen very many origin stories for Tempus so this was an enjoyable one.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved it! And the digs at IKEA and stationary bicycles were spot-on. rotflol

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
He switched it on and a moment later screamed as he felt a jolt of electricity frying synapses in his brain. The world tilted, and a moment later he found himself on the floor, convulsing.

It was almost ten minutes before he could move on his own.
Well he DID set it for 10 minutes into the future... What is he complaining about crazy ?

John Tempus swore eternal vengeance on the IKEA company, with their unreadable instructions and promises of parts that wouldn’t fall into crevices and cause disaster.
God I laughed at that line rotflol

Loved it!

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Assembly required
Hmm…someone drop Lois from Lex’s balcony?

In Utopia, time travel had never been particularly popular. The present was perfect, the reasoning went, so why bother going to the past?

The future, by contrast wasn’t any different from the present, so it wasn’t very entertaining either, other than for the temporary novelty of meeting yourself.
Oh my. No wonder Tempus wants to blow out other people’s brains.

Unfortunately, he hadn’t realized that even fifty years before there had still been devices sold assembly required. Apparently the company had thought that the adventurous types who wanted to go back in time would be more than willing to put the device together themselves.
laugh And we all know how clumsy Utopians are.

He stood up and slid into the seat. The thing was designed to look like a stationary bicycle; something he was assured from his reading was quite common in the era he was going to. It had the advantage of being something that was often purchased but almost never used.
laugh

The fact that later models had gotten cynical and included hanger for clothing hadn’t helped the confusion.
[Linked Image]

The button was there; he hesitated, then set the program for ten minutes in the future.

[…]

It was almost ten minutes before he could move on his own.
evil

Any reasonable person would submit themselves to the caregivers to be examined;
They have professional caregivers in the future? [Linked Image]

Yet somehow he didn’t go to the caregivers. For the first time he didn’t want to do what society asked of him.
Oooh! The birth of Tempus evil

John Tempus swore eternal vengeance on the IKEA company, with their unreadable instructions and promises of parts that wouldn’t fall into crevices and cause disaster.
rotflol

He wouldn’t be the only one who got screwed.
clap

Another hilarious piece! notworthy

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Did someone have a long weekend with a new piece of furniture? I wonder.

Boy, no wonder Tempus wanted to leave town. What an apathetic bunch those Utopians seem. All obsessed with Superman and have no interest in a history which doesn't involve themselves.

I wonder if it WAS a time travel device, or whether it was just a assemble yourself exercise bike which he set for 10 minutes... wrongly. Either way, very funny. lol

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Obviously Tempus never played with Legos evil

To understand IKEA instructions, one must first be thoroughly conversant in Lego.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
But how can you call it Utopia if IKEA is still turning out bad instructions? Maybe Tempus has a point…

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bwhahahaha! IKEA gave us shoddy furniture and the best villain in the L&C universe. Perfect!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well to be fair the device WAS 50 years old when Tempus attempted to put it together...

Unfortunately, he hadn’t realized that even fifty years before there had still been devices sold assembly required. Apparently the company had thought that the adventurous types who wanted to go back in time would be more than willing to put the device together themselves.

However I did bust out laughing when I read the IKEA line in the story. My wife looked at me funny so I had to try to explain (she is NOT an Lois and Clark fan, she only occasionally watched the series back in the 90's to humor me).

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, you know, he did have at least one screw loose.

*grins, ducks, and runs for dear life*

Highly amusing, Shayne! laugh

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Holy cow, this is hilarious!
Everybody else already quoted the best lines so I'll just say that I was laughing hysterically.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Really?!! IKEA must have improved their instructions over the centuries. The time is lost but I end up frustrated, furious AND dazed when I'm done.

Great story.

Shallowford
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Very cute! And I LOL'd at the "something called Snooki" line! rotflol

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard