Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper Yea! Someone took up my challenge! Ooooh, Queenie, as a big movie buff, you had me at the subtitle: "Hooray for Hollywood!"

I, like Lois, was totally lost when I read this:

“It's nice to meet you, Lola,” Keith said, grinning wide. “Sorry, I'm just so excited; this is my first *real* movie, you know?”

“Is it?” Lois asked, hoping that things would start to make sense if he kept talking.

“Yeah,” he said. “My only speaking role before this was a doctor in Jungle Boo-Boo; have you seen it?”

She shook her head.

He sighed. “I'm not surprised. It's a cheap comedy about a man and a chimp who get switched at birth. So naturally, being in a flick about Superman is a major step up, even if I only have a tiny part.”

A movie about Superman?! Lois tried not to appear surprised. “Oh?” she asked. “And what part do you play?”

Keith beamed at her. “Clark Kent!”
shock Oh, no! She's landed in reality and someone is making a movie worse that Superman Returns. Whatever will she do. Great fake out, of course. Had me fooled. clap

“Oh, for--!” Les dragged a hand down his face and grimaced. “You're not pregnant again, are you?!” he snapped. “We're still cleaning the vomit out of the Lovers' Lane III sofa!”
Was I supposed to read this as "Lois Lane III" set? Because I did. blush Ooops!

Charlotte took a few more deep breaths. “Excuse me a minute,” she mumbled, and whipped out a tiny cellphone. She spent a moment frantically dialing, but then must have changed her mind, because she pocketed the phone again with waiting for it to ring. She extended a hand. “Hi. I'm Charlotte.”
Did you mean "without" here?

“What?! Why on Earth is Superman here?!” the small man demanded. His underling tried to hide behind his clipboard.

The elevator chimed again, and a man stepped out, wearing a familiar blue-and-red ensemble. He strode over to Les and his lackeys. “Good afternoon, Mr. Donner,” he greeted the still-ranting loud-mouth. “I don't mean to intrude; I just thought I'd drop by on behalf of the Foundation to see if everything is going smoothly. Do you have everything you need?” His eyes seemed to be scanning the crowd.

“What I *need*,” Les began, his face turning an even darker shade of crimson, “is to get some shooting done without all these interruptions! I need actors who show up and do their jobs, and assistants who aren't complete and total--”
I wasn't quite sure if that was the real Superman or another actor at first. That director, Donner, (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) needs a chill pill and a ounce of respect for the person his biopic is supposed to be about. Or do they know that this isn't the original Superman?

“Jordan,” Superman suddenly said, extending a hand towards her.
Charlotte's brother? Father? Cousin?

“He left for New Krypton several days ago,” Lois told them. “Or centuries ago—whichever.” It was why she had been so furious when Wells had dragged the other Clark along on this latest search for Tempus. Why did he want to rub her nose in the absence of her fiance? Was he trying to set up this Clark as a replacement for hers? Was he subtly suggesting that Clark wasn't coming back? Furthermore, if he could just grab other Clarks at the drop of a hat, then why couldn't he just let the New Kryptonians take *this* Clark so that hers could stay home? It wasn't as if the other Clark had a fiance waiting for him, worrying about what was happening to him thousands of light-years away in space... She felt a little guilty at that last thought and bit back a sob.
Oh, that's why! [Linked Image]

“It's this movie,” said Charlotte, meeting her eyes. “It's about that whole first clash with New Krypton, believe it or not. Superman's departure, the invasion, all of it.”

Lois' eyes widened. “Really?” ...Invasion?!
Dun, dun, dun.... I don't see how this Lois would really be able to help, being that she hasn't lived that yet.

Charlotte nodded, and her expression soured. “Grams, it's awful. Part of the reason I signed on was so I could try to do some form of damage-control. I mean, I know there's only so much we can expect given that they don't know...” she looked pointedly at Lois. “...you know, everything. But, still...” She frowned. “It's like they don't understand Superman at all! The story is terrible, the script is very unfair to you guys, and the guy playing Clark Kent is a total doofus!”
Hey! Just in the Superman: The Movie movie. /ducking/ I mean, that Clark Kent was portrayed as a doofus.

“Of course,” said Lois. “What did you think the foundation was set up for?”

“Well, to help people,” he answered with a shrug.

“Well, yes,” Lois admitted. “There is that. But the reason Clark started it in the first place was to get some measure of control over all the stuff that was flooding the world with Superman's name and logo on them. He needed to protect Superman's image. That's why it's written into the foundation's charter that Superman gets to have the final say on all official Superman products, including but not limited to books, toys,”--She grinned at them--“and movies.”
Great point. This is just the thing I could see getting lost in time. Good thing Charlotte wished for Lois to "pop" by.

“This necktie,” Lois said, reaching towards Keith and taking the offending article into her hand. She held it up a little. “It needs to go.”

Keith frowned. “What's wrong with it?”

“There's nothing wrong with it!” growled Les.

“No, no,” said Lois, “he needs something louder. More obnoxious.” She turned to the wardrobe woman. “Dani, right? Do you think you could find a necktie with a print of dogs playing poker?”
Cue Clark's cringe. His ties weren't THAT bad, Lois!

Jordan cleared his throat. “Mr. Donner, this woman is now working for me. As an expert on the time period you're covering, she'll be helping to assure the quality and accuracy of this film.

Les glared at him. “I don't care if she's working for the president! I'm in charge of this movie. You have no right to run around hiring and firing experts and making ridiculous changes!”

“But he *does* have the right to veto the finished film if he doesn't like it,” Lois stated, “flushing all that time and money you've spent right down the drain. Trust me, you're better off working with him *now*.”
What's wrong with this Donner guy? Doesn't he know that it's better to work WITH the subject of your film, than against him? Especially with one good stare, the film could go up in smoke, if he doesn't like it? IT'S about him! (or, technically, his namesake, but still...) USE should use all the resources at his disposal. I can see why Charlotte was worried.

“I don't have time for this!” Les finally groused, turning and stomping away. He waved toward Dani. “Get him the stupid necktie. He's just a minor character, anyway; it's not like anyone will notice or care!”
Yea! Nobody knows! I was still worried up until that point! Phew.

What's next for Lois? Will she stay in Hollywood long enough to see "Hans"? (Whom I'm guessing is playing Superman.) Yikes! [Linked Image] Can't wait to read about that! Where else will Lois travel? What a great way to help her get through this difficult time without Clark! clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Time travel. A youthful Lois talking to her descendents. I think I'm in love...

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love it so far and I suspect I will for the duration also... dance

Like Morgana, Lois time traveling, taking on the establishment with her descendants, barely an A-Plot in sight thumbsup . What's not to like? Probably should not jinx the thing with the A-Plot crack smirk .

Love the tie bit, the crack about Clark being a bit part, and of course a 30 year old Lois being called 'Grams'.

Charlotte smiled at her. “It's fine, Grams. At least we shouldn't be disturbed.”

Grams? Lois fought the urge to snort. “That's good,” she replied.

“Jordan,” Superman suddenly said, extending a hand towards her.

Lois blinked at him in confusion for a second, then it clicked. “Nice to meet you.” She grinned and started to reach for his hand, then changed her mind. “Oh, come here!” She pulled him into a hug, then reached for Charlotte as well.

Charlotte's eyes were tearing a little when she finally pulled away. “It's so good to see you, Grams!” she said. “This is...this is just amazing!”

Was also great when she realizes that for today to have occurred Clark had to come back from New Krypton.

“He left for New Krypton several days ago,” Lois told them. “Or centuries ago—whichever.” It was why she had been so furious when Wells had dragged the other Clark along on this latest search for Tempus. Why did he want to rub her nose in the absence of her fiance? Was he trying to set up this Clark as a replacement for hers? Was he subtly suggesting that Clark wasn't coming back? Furthermore, if he could just grab other Clarks at the drop of a hat, then why couldn't he just let the New Kryptonians take *this* Clark so that hers could stay home? It wasn't as if the other Clark had a fiance waiting for him, worrying about what was happening to him thousands of light-years away in space... She felt a little guilty at that last thought and bit back a sob.

Charlotte pulled her into a hug. “It'll be okay, Grams,” she said. “Trust me.”

Lois pulled away to look into her great-granddaughter's eyes. “But what if he never comes--” She stopped. It clicked. “--back,” she whispered.

She looked at these two people in the room with her. Her great-grandchildren. Her and *Clark's* great-grandchildren. Suddenly, all of the pain and heartache of the past several days evaporated. A broad smile appeared on her face, and she pulled them both into another hug. “It's so, *so* wonderful to meet you two!” she cried, tears of joy running down her face.

If this first part is emblematic of the remainder of the story I am going to love it!

Thanks for writing it.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awesome, Queenie. Really great plot. I love the name Les Donner smile Can't wait for the next part. Please keep it coming rapidly.
cool
Artemis party clap

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
clap I'm loving this! Can't wait for more, and I'm totally hooked! Wonder what it is exactly that brought Lois there.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"You like me! You really like me!"

Thanks for the positive response, everyone! hyper I just hope the rest of the fic delivers. smile

For the record, I'm aiming to do a "soft split" of a long (by my standards, anyway) story, so when Hooray for Hollywood is done, I'll probably take a short break before the next leg of Lois' journey.

Virginia:

Was I supposed to read this as "Lois Lane III" set? Because I did.

Hee! Believe it or not, I had a hard time reading it myself when I first wrote it, and I'm the author!

Did you mean "without" here?

Every time I read over the fic, it said "without", I'm sure of it! Thanks. Fixed. blush

That director, Donner, (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Glad you caught that. laugh You too, Artemis! smile

I'm thinking part 2 will go up around Tuesday...ish. I've got a little bit of a buffer, but not much, so I want to be careful with my pace of posting. smile

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
"You like me! You really like me!"

I'm thinking part 2 will go up around Tuesday...ish. I've got a little bit of a buffer, but not much, so I want to be careful with my pace of posting. smile

Yippie! When you posted originally you indicated that the writing progress was tending to be slow so the posting would be slow. I had no idea what your idea of slow was but I am very happy with that kind of schedule.

Thanks

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mary! Catching up on my reading…
Lois Lane's Travels
Part 1: Hooray for Hollywood
So…alt-world with Lois trying to make it in Hollywood while keeping her clothes on?

She was supposed to have arrived in 1972 with HG Wells and Clark—well, not Clark, but the Clark who looked like Clark.
Oh dear. Is she now all alone in 1972?

She was definitely in the middle of the Daily Planet newsroom, although some things about it seemed a bit...off.
/scratches head/ Hollywood film set?

had a strange, curvy monitor with a logo of a half-eaten pear on it.
laugh Pear? Is it an oMac?

The phone, on the other hand, looked like it could have been a hand-me-down from her mother.
/scratches head/ was 70s retro in at the time?

She picked up the receiver and listened, twirling the rotary dial experimentally. There was no dial-tone. Was she in another universe? Or maybe the Twilight Zone?
huh Yeah, I forgot the movie idea again…

“Places, everyone!” someone shouted from across the room. The bullpen erupted into chaos as people hurried to different positions at desks and file-cabinets and water-coolers, some of them grabbing random sheets of paper and pretending to carry them around.
But not for long clap

Perhaps this *was* the twilight zone!
No, just an overabundance of Ralphs in the office.

Someone came over and nudged her away from her desk. “Sorry, honey, but we need this spot for Lois Lane. Go stand somewhere else.”
laugh

“Hold it!” the distant voice bellowed. “Will someone move that extra?!”
Yeah, that chick doesn’t fit. Besides, she’s way too old to be playing Lois Lane.

He sighed. “I'm not surprised. It's a cheap comedy about a man and a chimp who get switched at birth.
And the chimp never wondered about the ugly baby?

So naturally, being in a flick about Superman is a major step up, even if I only have a tiny part.”

A movie about Superman?! Lois tried not to appear surprised. “Oh?” she asked. “And what part do you play?”

Keith beamed at her. “Clark Kent!”
[Linked Image] Also, is this a Linda King movie?

The doors opened, revealing a young, dark-haired woman in a classy business suit.
Oh look! It’s the movie’s star — Catharine Grant.

The newcomer strode confidently towards the bullpen with the cameras following her progress, but when she got to the top of the ramp, she froze. She looked straight at Lois, and her jaw dropped.
/scratches head/

“Oh, for--!” Les dragged a hand down his face and grimaced. “You're not pregnant again, are you?!” he snapped. “We're still cleaning the vomit out of the Lovers' Lane III sofa!”
rotflol So, is she a slutty actress not capable of using birth control?

She came to a stop right in front of Lois. At first, the woman only stared at her, opening and closing her mouth as though she wasn't quite sure what to say. She finally opened with “Hi.”
Is Charlotte this dimension’s Lois Lane?

“Would I be correct in guessing that you come from...another time zone?”
shock

The other woman took in a sharp breath. “And...would your name happen to be Lois?”
So, she the Lois from universe #3?

She spent a moment frantically dialing, but then must have changed her mind, because she pocketed the phone again without waiting for it to ring.
Yeah…either that or she’s texting her…Superman?

*her* maiden name...” She took a breath, and her voice fell to a near whisper. “...was Lane-Kent. I'm your great-granddaughter.”
thud Also, does this mean, 2072 instead of 1972?

“What?! Why on Earth is Superman here?!” the small man demanded. His underling tried to hide behind his clipboard.
wave

While the tirade went on, Superman's gaze finally landed on Lois and his eyes widened.
Oh dear. Do we have a Home-situation here?

Les' response was incomprehensible.
Too blue for Lois?

Furthermore, if he could just grab other Clarks at the drop of a hat, then why couldn't he just let the New Kryptonians take *this* Clark so that hers could stay home?
laugh clap

It wasn't as if the other Clark had a fiance waiting for him,
No? Did something happen to Luis? mecry Did he vanish in the Congo like that Lois Lane from the alternate universe?

Charlotte pulled her into a hug. “It'll be okay, Grams,” she said. “Trust me.”

Lois pulled away to look into her great-granddaughter's eyes. “But what if he never comes--” She stopped. It clicked. “--back,” she whispered.
[Linked Image]

She looked at these two people in the room with her. Her great-grandchildren. Her and *Clark's* great-grandchildren.
Hey, they could be hers and Alt-Clarks?

“I kind of wished that you'd show up, Grams,” she explained. “Maybe it worked? Although I actually wished that both of you were here, so...” She trailed off, uncertainly.
laugh WELLS: /taps oil lamp/ It does sound like it’s made of copper and that trader in the Bagdad market promised me it *is* made from copper. What’s going on with you, hmm? Do you not like being used as a conductor in my time machine?

“Well, then!” Lois smiled at them. “There you go. That gives you all the damage control you need.”
evil

That's why it's written into the foundation's charter that Superman gets to have the final say on all official Superman products, including but not limited to books, toys,”--She grinned at them--“and movies.”
And how do they explain “Uberman vs Superwoman – An Xtreme Encounter”?
SUPERMAN: Umm…that wasn’t an officially licensed production and they didn’t use my costume…exactly…
LOIS: mad Yeah?
SUPERMAN: They *didn’t*! And it’s not like Superwoman was *wearing* a lot of costume to begin with which compare to yours in some court case.

“This necktie,” Lois said, reaching towards Keith and taking the offending article into her hand. She held it up a little. “It needs to go.”
It’s straight red and blue stripes?

“No, no,” said Lois, “he needs something louder. More obnoxious.” She turned to the wardrobe woman. “Dani, right? Do you think you could find a necktie with a print of dogs playing poker?”
laugh
CLARK: Obnoxious?

Jordan cleared his throat. “Mr. Donner, this woman is now working for me. As an expert on the time period you're covering, she'll be helping to assure the quality and accuracy of this film.
[Linked Image] He does realize that when he gives power to Lois Lane…

“But he *does* have the right to veto the finished film if he doesn't like it,” Lois stated, “flushing all that time and money you've spent right down the drain. Trust me, you're better off working with him *now*.”
See?

“Superman wasn't anywhere around when the papers were drawn up and signed. I do not have to answer to him!”
Lex is not very smart, is he?

“And by the way, it's *my* desk.”
laugh Also, does Charlie have powers, too?

Oooh, this is looking like it’s going to be a fine piece of comedy hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard