Previously, on Clark's Heart:

"Thank you all for coming today," he began. "I know there have been a lot of questions and rumors lately, about where I've been and why I seemed to have vanished. I want to set the record straight. I have always striven to be as open and honest with the people of this planet as I possibly can. My recent disappearance was an unfortunate situation that I could not avoid. Things happened too quickly and beyond my control, so I was unable to issue a statement beforehand. But, I assure you, that situation has been handled and can no longer prevent me from my mission to protect the people of Earth. There have been rumors speculating that I am leaving this planet. I would like to take this opportunity to strike that rumor down. I have no intention of ever leaving. Earth is my home. There is nothing that can take me away from here." He paused, taking a breath. "I will take any questions."

"Superman!"

Clark had to fight not to grimace. It was Nelson Gingham, from the Dirt Digger.

"Yes?" he answered politely.

"You talk about this mysterious 'situation.' I think I can speak for us all when I say that that's not really enough information."

"Mr. Gingham, is it?"

"Ah, I see you know who I am."

Clark bit his tongue against the man's arrogant, self-important attitude.

"I'm familiar with all of Metropolis' reporters," he said instead. "Mr. Gingham, while I appreciate the curiosity of the public, the situation I needed to tend to was not my own. Out of respect for those involved, I can only say that it was a matter of life and death, and that I am happy to say that life won out."

"Oh, come on! " the man grumbled.

"I apologize, but that really is all that I am at liberty to say. It was an intensely personal event," Clark said, as politely as he could, while making it clear, through the tone of his voice, that the discussion over the specifics of the situation was now at a close. "Are there any other questions at this time?" he asked, nailing home the point that he would be giving no deeper information on the details of the event.

"Some people have speculated that there was a need for you to return to New Krypton. Is there any truth to that?" Linda Peters asked.

"I can assure you that I never left this planet," Clark said. "Nor have I ever stepped foot on New Krypton's soil."

"Superman! It's Gary Katz, LNN. You are friends with Clark Kent, are you not?"

Clark nodded. "I am."

"You know then, that he recently was in the hospital, awaiting a heart transplant."

"I was aware of it," Clark said, cautiously.

"It seems that he got a transplant pretty fast. Rumor has it that you used your influence to...shall we say...speed up the process. A sudden bump to the top of the list, perhaps. How do you respond?"

"By reminding everyone that rumors are usually baseless speculation. And that is exactly what that rumor is. I would never do anything to put one person's needs above another's, friend or not, nor could I, in this particular instance, have done anything to change Clark's spot on the recipient list. Clark was just very lucky that a match could be found in time to save his life, that's all. And, while I'm glad and relieved that one was found for him, I had nothing to do with it."

As expected, there were several more questions. Most centered around his disappearance and reemergence. A few asked about projects that the Superman Foundation was working on, or the recent resurgence of what most speculated was Intergang activities. In all, the whole thing lasted shorter than Clark had been dreading it would. It was a relief when he finally ended the press conference, thanked everyone for coming, then flew out the large window above the bullpen.

As he flew off, he had only one thought. It was good to be back.

"I'm going to eat you all up!" Clark declared in a dramatic, deeper than normal voice, while his nine month old son squealed with delight, wiggling on his back, tongue out and a smile from ear to ear.

The boy rolled out of the way as Clark hovered over him, ready to kiss the baby's belly. Clark caught him and kissed him anyway, eliciting a steady stream of squeals, shrieks, and laughs. He continued for several long moments, until Christopher slapped playfully at the top of his head. Clark pulled back, looking down on the perfect little miracle he and Lois had created, stunned, as always, to know that his heart's greatest desire had been fulfilled - to not only marry the woman of his dreams, but to raise a family with her as well.

Clark touched a hand to his chest, over his heart, over the place where he'd been cut open just over a year before. The scar had long since faded and had nearly vanished as his body had healed itself. But he didn't need to see what was left of the scar in order to be reminded of what had occurred - his brush with death and the miracle that had brought him back to the world of the living. Nothing could ever make him forget how extremely lucky he was to be alive and able to watch his son grow up.

As always, the thought sent a wave of thankfulness through him, while simultaneously sending a stab of remorse through him. Ching hadn't been so lucky. Kala hadn't been so lucky. Christopher knew his father, gleefully pointing and crying out "dada!" whenever he saw him. Kala, on the other hand, would never know her father through anything more than the stories Zara would and did tell her.

"Eeee!" Kala demanded, hitting Clark's back with her open palm.

Clark chuckled. "Okay, okay!"

He grabbed the little girl and held her up over his head, as if she was flying. Someday, she would be, he knew. And she would take to it well. He didn't doubt that. She loved it when her Uncle Clark played the flying game with her. Then he swooped her down and laid her on her back, next to Christopher, and proceeded to rain kisses down on her belly, along with the occasional "bubble" blown onto her, which made her shriek with laughter.

Clark began to switch back and forth between the two kids, making first one laugh, then the other. He was having such a great time that he didn't even notice when Lois walked in through the front door, set her purse down, and stepped into the living room.

"Careful, I might get jealous," she quipped as Clark rolled onto his back, making Kala fly again.

"Oh, hi, honey," Clark said, craning his neck back to look at her upside down, realizing for the first time that she was there. "Don't worry, you're the only woman I'll ever want to fly with."

Lois laughed. "I'd better be. Are you having a good time?"

"The best."

"Where's Zara?"

Clark rolled again, setting Kala down so that he could do the same thing to Christopher. "She had to run some errands. I told her that I was more than happy to watch the baby while she went out."

"That was nice of you," Lois replied with a smile. She knelt down on the carpet beside Clark and kissed him, then picked up Christopher.

"Aaaaamaaaa!" he cried out joyfully, slapping at her face with his palm.

Clark shrugged as he sat up. "I like watching the kids."

"I know. I think it's adorable."

He gave her his best smile. "Thanks. So, how did the press conference go?"

Lois made a face, indicating how boring she'd found it. "Same old same old from the mayor's office. 'We're looking into the allegations but have no information at this time.' Ugh!"

"Well, you didn't really think they would come out and say 'Yeah, you know what? The mayor did make advances toward his female interns,' did you?" he asked sweetly.

"No," Lois huffed, "but for once it would be nice if people could own up to their mistakes."

"I agree. Which is why I'm going to own up to the wet spot on the carpet over there." He pointed. "The kids and I were playing and our son thought the carpet needed a little redecorating. I cleaned it pretty well though. It doesn't appear to have stained."

Lois laughed. "Honestly, that's probably the best news I've heard all day."

"Actually," Clark said, stopping Kala from attempting to eat the remote control for the television, "I have some great news for you."

Lois' whole body seemed to perk up. "Yeah?"

"Dr. Klein called with my test results from yesterday."

"When?"

"About an hour ago."

"And?" she prodded. "Don't leave me in suspense! What'd he say?"

"Well, he started off by congratulating me, again, for my one year milestone." He was deliberately drawing things out, enjoying the way Lois squirmed. But he couldn't prolong it too long. He was almost bursting with the news. "Anyway, we went over all of the test results. Everything looks great. He sees no signs of this heart breaking down or otherwise not cooperating with my body. And what's more, my super abilities haven't caused any adverse side effects on it."

"Clark! That's great!"

He luxuriated in the warmth of her smile as she attempted to hug him. But two squirming children got in the way, leaving them able to only share a chaste kiss, given with stretched necks over the heads of the babies. True, it wasn't exactly new news. Ever since the transplant, Dr. Klein had run the same battery of tests on Clark once a month, wanting to be extra cautious. There really was no precedent for how Kryptonians, particularly those using super powers on a daily basis, recovered after a heart transplant.

"There's more," Clark said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Oh?" He could see her curiosity was piqued even higher.

"Since everything has looked great for the whole year, he's lightening up on the tests. I don't need to go back for another three months, then if all looks well, every six months. But he's extremely confident that, barring another run in with Deathstroke, I'll be healthy for a long, long time."

"Oh, Clark!" Lois cried, happy tears brimming in her eyes. "That's fantastic! I'm so proud of you."

He shook his head. "Don't be proud of me, Lois. Zara's the one who saved my life. I'm just lucky, that's all."

"Either way, I'm glad for you. I hated the idea that once a month, you had to deliberately expose yourself to Kryptonite so he could get a blood sample. Even if it was only for a minute or two."

"I know. I didn't like it either. But if that's part of the price I need to pay to be alive for you and our son, I'll gladly do so."

Lois nodded. "I know. I just worry about you. Always have. Always will."

"In a weird way, I love that you do. Before I met you, no one, other than my parents, ever cared enough to worry about me. When I realized that you did," he shook his head, "there was this incredible feeling, to know I mattered enough to warrant concern."

He would have said more, but a knock sounded on the door. Clark slipped his glasses down, x-rayed, then put them back on his face properly. He set down Kala from his lap and went to answer it.

"Zara," he explained to Lois over his shoulder. Then, throwing the door open, "Hey, Zara!"

"Hi, Clark. How was Kala?"

"Only the most well behaved little girl on the planet," he said truthfully. "She ate a jar and a half of food too, plus a few of my French fries. She's got quite a fantastic appetite."

The baby was hardly any trouble at all, though he did wonder what it would be like once she started to develop her powers. One thing was certain, it would be interesting, especially if Christopher developed any powers of his own, being half Kryptonian.

"Good to hear," Zara said as she crossed the room and picked up the infant who was crawling toward her, tiny mouth open wide in a smile. "Hi, baby! I heard you were a good girl for Uncle Clark."

Kala shrieked and clapped in response.

"Thanks for taking her. It's always so much easier to run errands without a nap-deprived child."

"I know the feeling," Lois said. "Did you want to stay for dinner?"

"Oh, no, thanks. I grabbed a slice of pizza before heading here. I appreciate the offer though."

"Maybe some other night then," Lois offered.

"I'd like that. Come on, Kala, we need to get home and get you into the bath before bed." Zara shifted the baby on her hip and Clark handed her the diaper bag, which she shouldered without any effort.

"Goodnight, Kala," Clark said in a sing-song voice. He kissed her on the head. "Love you, kiddo. Goodnight, Zara." He gave the woman a peck on the cheek.

"Night, Clark. Night, Lois."

"Night, Zara. Why don't you come on over tomorrow night? We'll let the kids play after work," Lois said as she gave the woman a hug and cheek-to-cheek kiss.

"Sounds, great. What do you think, Kala?"

"Ayayababapfffft!" the baby agreed, her babble turning into a raspberry at the end.

After Zara left, Clark helped Lois to straighten up the living room. Then it was time for Christopher's bath. Clark wound up soaked from head to toe as the boy splashed around in the plastic baby tub with a squeaky green alligator. He said his goodnights to the baby while Lois settled him into his crib after one more bottle. Clark was just pulling on a clean, dry t-shirt when Lois joined him in their bedroom.

"Zara's done really well, adjusting to living here full time," Lois observed. She went into the attached master bathroom and started taking her makeup off. "I mean, I know she lived here for a short time before she asked you to be New Krypton's savior, but she always knew that, one way or another, she was going back to her home planet."

"New Krypton wasn't much of a home, the way I understand it," Clark said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"True," she conceded. "I'm glad we were able to help her get set up here. You know, it's funny. I was so jealous of her when I first met her. After all, she was married to the love of my life. But now..." Clark could picture her shrugging at herself in the mirror.

"I know," Clark replied, taking his glasses off and setting them on the nightstand. It was true that he didn't need them when at home, but he wanted Christopher to only associate the man wearing glasses with "dada." He rubbed his eyes for a moment. "She seems happy enough now, but the sadness is still there too. Sometimes, I wonder if she looks at me and wonders why I'm alive and Ching isn't. Sometimes, the thought crosses my own mind when I look in the mirror."

"Oh, Clark," Lois said, emerging from the bathroom, now in a soft pair of cotton pajamas with flamingos dancing all over the material. She came around the bed and held him close, squeezing him tightly. "You need to stop thinking like that."

"I've tried," he admitted with a heavy sigh. "I just...can't help it sometimes. I am so thankful to be alive, and to be able to spend my second chance at life with you and Christopher, don't get me wrong. I just wish something could have been done to save Ching too."

"I know you do," Lois said, kissing his cheek tenderly. "And I love you even more for it. It just proves to me, again, how truly gentle a soul you really are. And how lucky I am to have you for my husband."

"I think I'm the lucky one," he countered with a light kiss to her lips, allowing her to achieve her goal of distracting him. "I have you. I have our family."

"Speaking of," Lois said coyly, as she moved away to rest against the pillows on her side of the bed. She propped herself up on one elbow, facing him. "Christopher seems to love his play dates with Kala."

Clark followed Lois' lead, facing her on the bed. "He does," he agreed. "I'm glad he's got a playmate. Especially as they grow older. It'll be good for him to have someone his own age who will be like him. Assuming he inherits any super abilities, that is. And if not, at least they share a similar heritage."

"Well, there's always the possibility of siblings," Lois suggested.

"Maybe," Clark said, unconvinced.

He still considered Christopher's conception and birth to be a miracle that was highly unlikely to be repeated. Despite the easy and uneventful pregnancy Lois had enjoyed, Dr. Klein still maintained his theory that human and Kryptonian genes would rarely, if ever, be able to create a new life. Of course, Clark hoped for more children in the future, but he wasn't naive enough to expect that it would be easy, or even possible.

"You do want more children, right?" Lois asked.

"Of course I do. You know that. I just don't know if it's possible."

"Well," Lois said, drawing the word out as she dragged her finger over Clark's forearm, "I'm pretty confident that we can."

"Oh yeah?" Clark asked, raising an eyebrow. "Is that your way of saying that you want to try for another?"

"No," Lois said, again dragging the word out, but this time, not as long. "It's my way of saying that we already are."

That took a moment to sink in. When it did, Clark blinked. His mouth opened and moved, but no sound came forth. He shook his head slightly and tried again.

"You're pregnant?" he sputtered in disbelief.

Lois nodded. "We are."

"Really?"

"According to the test I took this morning while you were sleeping, yeah, we really are having another baby."

"Test? I didn't..."

He stopped in mid sentence. Of course he hadn't seen a test. It was garbage day. Lois would have taken the trash out before heading to the press conference, in an effort to hide the news so she could tell him herself.

"You're incredible," he said instead, wonderment in his voice.

He reached over to her and gathered her into his arms. His lips met hers in a passionate dance, as though their shared kiss was life itself. His heart beat wildly in his chest, as it always did when Lois was around, the result of the fierce intensity of his love for her. It was as if his entire body was too small to contain all of the love he had for Lois, the woman of his dreams, the mother of his children, the answer to all the prayers he'd ever prayed as a young man looking for his place in the world.

"I love you," he whispered to her as they parted for a breath.

"And I love you," she responded, before her lips crashed into his again, her hands already urgently tugging at his clothing.

Later, as they lay still cuddling with one another in bed, catching their breath from their lovemaking, Clark kissed Lois on the head. She had her eyes closed and seemed completely at peace as he held her. Clark listened to the steady beating of her heart and the gentle, even sounds of her breathing. Peace flooded his own body, the kind that only Lois' love could bring him.

"Clark?"

"Hmm?"

"I guess it's safe to assume that you're happy about the new baby?" she teased him.

Clark chuckled. "Beyond happy, Lois. For a long time, I wasn't sure I'd ever find love. How could I? I was too different. Too afraid to open up to anyone. Then, I found you. You fixed all the broken pieces in my life, made me feel safe, took away the fears that I had. Now, you've given me the home I'd always hoped for, but never dared to believe I could have. You've given me a family, Lois. You always have, ever since we met. Having children with you is the greatest miracle of my life. Even getting a new heart," he said as he shook his head, "can't compare to the miracles of Christopher and this new little baby."

"I'm just so happy that you did get your heart," Lois said, rolling over so that she could hug him and nuzzle into his side as they talked. "And I'm thrilled that I'm able to give you the family you've always wanted. Because, the truth is, you've given me a family and a home ever since we first met. That's part of why I was so scared to let you into my life and heart. Family had always been such a disappointment before. It was too painful to let anyone in when I was certain it was going to end in disappointment. I'm glad you forced your way behind my walls and didn't give up when I tried so hard to make you leave me alone."

"It was never an option for me. I fell in love with you the instant I saw you."

"It took me a little longer," she said, tracing random patterns on his chest with her finger, only to subconsciously drag her finger along the nearly invisible line of his transplant scar. "You just seemed too unreal, for a while, for me to be able to admit that you really were the perfect guy I'd been waiting for."

Clark smiled as Lois' finger kept on tracing his scar. "There isn't a day that goes by when I'm not thankful for my second chance at life, for the ability to see our son, and now this new little one, grow. Not a day goes by when I don't mourn Ching's death."

"I know," Lois said with a slight nod of her head. "I can always tell when that thought crosses your mind. You get quiet and sort of...contemplative."

"Sorry," Clark apologized. He'd never meant to make Lois feel uncomfortable.

"Don't be. It's part of who you are. Your kindness, compassion, and respect for others is part of why I love you. If you had no feelings at all toward Ching or the transplant, you wouldn't be the Clark that I know and love."

Clark smiled tenderly at her. "You're amazing, you know that?"

"I know," Lois said with mock arrogance, smiling and giving him a wink.

"No, really. You...keep me going. And you can always lift even the bleakest of my moods, bringing light into those dark moments - be it after a rescue gone wrong, or those moments where I feel so...unworthy...of this second chance. I love you for that."

"Well, that's funny," Lois said playfully. "It just so happens that you do the same for me."

Clark chuckled. "So...when do we get to meet this baby?" He pressed his hand to her midsection, knowing it was too early to feel anything. But he'd always felt like he'd missed out on Lois' pregnancy with Christopher, though the reality was that he really hadn't missed anything more important than one or two monitoring ultrasounds.

"Well, if my math is correct, and I know that it is," Lois said, grinning from ear to ear, "about eight and a half more months."

"That long, huh?" Clark asked, feigning disappointment, complete with a pout.

"Gives us plenty of time to get the nursery ready," Lois said, shrugging. "Maybe we can paint this one together."

Clark blushed. "I'll try to restrain myself."

"It's a good thing we have four bedrooms," Lois commented.

"Yeah," Clark agreed. "Maybe one day, we'll have kids living in each of them."

Lois laughed. "Maybe!" Then, after a moment, "Clark?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"For what?" he asked, genuinely confused.

"For...everything. For our life together. Our children. For..." Her voice caught in her throat and she had to start again. "For fighting so hard, last year. For hanging on, even while machines were keeping you alive. I don't know how much you heard while you were...you know. But every day, I asked you to keep fighting and to come back to me. And you did."

"I don't remember anything between the time I had that last heart attack and when I awoke after my transplant. I knew, somehow, that time had passed. I don't mean an hour or a day. I knew it was longer than that, though I had no idea how long it had truly been. And I had this feeling...like..." He paused for a moment, grasping for words. "Like some...connection between us had kept me from slipping away. Something beyond our love and commitment to each other. I didn't have a name for the feeling back then. I still don't. It was almost like you'd willed me to live. I can't explain it any better than that."

"Whatever it was, I'm so grateful that it kept you with me. And, of course, for Zara's selflessness in giving up her husband's heart."

"Mmm," Clark hummed in agreement.

He kissed Lois, hoping to distract her from their conversation. He didn't want to dwell on the past, or what might have been. He wanted to enjoy the moment, holding his wife, wondering about his unborn child, imagining how much their life would be enriched by the addition of a new son or daughter - a little brother or sister for Christopher to love and play with. Still, the seeds of thought had been planted, and his mind did wander toward his heart.

He knew he was lucky. Every day, he thought about his second chance and of Ching. It was funny, in a way, he'd often thought to himself. When he'd first met Zara and Ching, they'd both seemed so...distant and cold. It was clear that they cared a great deal for the people of New Krypton, but love and passion seemed beyond their capability. Then, as he'd gotten to know them both, as he'd worked and fought alongside them in an effort to bring about peace, he'd been graced with the opportunity to see them both for who they truly were - for the very real and powerful love they had, not only for their people, but for one another. Though their society and customs had prevented them from outwardly showing their passions, Clark had come to grasp just how intense that passion truly was.

Yes, Ching, the stoic and hardened Kryptonian lieutenant, had loved - deeply and fiercely. Clark had seen it in the man's eyes, had heard it in the man's voice whenever Zara was near or the topic of discussion. And now, strange as it was, Ching's heart beat within the confines of Clark's chest. And it ached with joy and love every time he looked at Lois.

The End.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon