General Sam Lane waited patiently as the heroes described how they could break into Fort Abrams. He hung back, listening to and assessing their plans – thinking their ideas were idealist at best and foolhardy at worst. When they came to a pause, he stepped forward.

“I appreciate that you want to get your friend back, and that many of you have special abilities that can be very helpful,” he began diplomatically.

“But?” Lois interrupted, perhaps sensing where this was going.

“But, it doesn’t have to be that hard. I can drive you all onto Base.”

“But Sir, if you’re caught—“ Oliver interjected.

Sam nodded. “I know. I could lose everything. But I know Fort Abrams – and they know me. They won’t question it.

“We should still do it in the evening, so it will be easier to move about the facility,” Oliver added. “Thank you, General.”

“Sam, any idea where they might actually be holding Clark?” Chloe asked.

Sam thought a moment. “There’s a military brig, towards the back of the base. But if General Wilson is not playing everything on the up and up, I highly doubt they’d take him there. More likely, I know there was rumor of an underground facility being built, though it was unclear to what purpose. I know I heard Luthorcorp tied to whatever it was they were building—“

“Luthorcorp?” Lois asked nervously. “That doesn’t sound good.”

“I hadn’t thought much of it at the time. There had been a few joint projects here and there with the military and Luthorcorp – especially with Fort Abram’s tie to Smallville. But perhaps there was some significance to it. Anyway, I think you should start there.”

Oliver nodded. “All right. So we go in under cover at night…”

~L&C~

Lois sat with Chloe in Watchtower the next evening, keeping an eye on the progress of the heroes. Lois had been reluctantly sidelined for this mission, though she understood why. She needed to stay safe for Joel’s sake.

She held him in her lap, while he quietly played with his favorite giraffe, a token that Lois had carried in her purse ever since he had been kidnapped. Now it gave her a comfort to see the little toy, which had looked so forlorn without Joel to play with it, smooshed and snuggled up against her son’s face. She kissed his head, grateful to have him there. But, despite her joy at having Joel returned, her thoughts kept turning to Clark. She longed for him to be returned to them already.

Chloe was busy accessing cameras and pulling up maps. Thanks to Sam Lane, she had legitimate access codes for some of the sites she was using.

“I tell you what Lois, I didn’t expect it would be my uncle, your dad who would be saving the day.”

Lois smiled. “I did… I mean, I at least hoped so. He was my first real hero, you know.”

Chloe smiled at her in return. “I know. Mine too. Still, he’s risking a lot to do this.”

“Yes, but he understands the risks. And he knows the reasons as well.”

“Are you sure it will be okay that he knows Clark is the Blur?” Chloe asked, keeping her eyes on the screen as she typed.

Lois sighed. “It has to be okay. Besides, once he sees what General Wilson is capable of, he will be the only voice the government will listen to. Dad has to see what’s going on there so he can take down Wilson.”

“You mean, he’ll testify against him?” Chloe asked in some surprise.

“That’s what Dad hinted at,” Lois nodded, shifting Joel to a more comfortable position on her lap. “If Dad testifies before Congress about General Wilson and against the VRA – it could be a strong enough voice to stop this nonsense in its tracks.”

Chloe sighed. “Well, let’s just hope that we manage to get Clark back tonight. This mission has to go perfectly.”

~L&C~

General Sam Lane had served almost thirty-four years in the military. He had earned the respect of his colleagues and even received a Medal of Honor from the President of the United States. His integrity was unquestioned in the armed forces.

Yet as he pulled up to Fort Abrams that night, he felt a nervous excitement that was close to making him nauseous. None of his missions in ‘Nam had ever made him this anxious. He knew what he was risking bringing these kids illegally on base – his entire reputation was on the line.

But Sam had always believed in doing the right thing. It’s what he had taught his girls, and he wasn’t about to fail Lois now. He had been wrong to judge Clark Kent so harshly, and seeing how much his daughter loved him – well, it had reminded Sam of what he had felt for his wife.

He owed it to the memory of that love, as well as to his daughter, to bring Clark Kent home.

Sam had given the Team a layout of the main office buildings, where the facility Sam had known about had been built. Oliver convinced him, back at Watchtower, that he shouldn’t go with them to find Clark. Sam just needed to give them access – and then provide an escape route.

Sam would go into his office, wait thirty minutes, and then report back to the vehicle – hopefully with Clark in tow.

Sam saluted the guard at the entrance as he drove onto base. He didn’t even have to show his badge anymore, he was so well known there. Oliver, AC and Bart lay in the back of Sam’s SUV, hidden by the tinted windows and the cover of darkness. Sam knew that all it would take is one routine check of his vehicle, and he’d be in trouble. But he also knew that he was implicitly trusted here, and he was the Team’s best bet for getting on base.

Sam glanced in his rearview mirror, seeing the hood of Oliver’s uniform. He shook his head, surprising himself that he was going to go through with this to help these vigilantes – or heroes, as Lois called them. Yet, he admired their spirit. After spending some time with them at Watchtower, Sam saw the same sort of desire to fight for truth and justice that had driven him as a young sergeant. He hadn’t wanted to admit it, but perhaps he wasn’t so different from Lois’ friends after all.

Sam pulled into his parking spot, once more glancing in the mirror. “Remember, wait five minutes before exiting the car. I’ll meet you back here at—“ he glanced at his watch. “21:40, got that?”

“And we should head to the back of the building, by those trees?” Oliver clarified.

Sam nodded. “Yeah. There was some controversy about there being no cameras on that side of the building because the trees were too thick. And then some liberal went up in arms about how old the oaks were and couldn’t be cut down—“ Sam paused in his explanation, waving his arm to dismiss the matter. “Anyway, there are no cameras over there. At exactly 21:10 I’ll buzz you in from my office, to get inside. I can’t access security cameras inside the building, but I’ll keep the guard distracted long enough that you can get to the stairs. I can’t get you access further than that, though. If there are locked doors – which is highly likely- you’re on your own,” Sam explained, hoping the kids understood his limits in this operation.

“Got it,” Oliver said confidently, glancing at his phone.
“Chloe set me up with a feed to a few cameras around the base. We’ll at least know if anyone is coming after us, if nothing else.”

“One more thing—I want to nail this son of a bitch, Wilson. I’ve heard rumors of his abuses in Afghanistan, but there was never any proof. If you can, take photos of whatever he’s got going on down there. I promise to keep Clark’s identity a secret.”

“I’ll take care of that,” Bart volunteered. “I’ve been wanting to try out my sweet new phone.”

“OK, good luck everyone.”

~L&C~

How long had it been since General Wilson had trapped him in that cage?

A week? A month?

Longer?

Clark didn’t know anymore. All he knew was that, every day, Slade came into his cell, demanding to know more information – about his abilities, about his friends, about his son. And Clark simply refused to tell him anything.

Then, the Kryptonite would increase, causing Clark to fall over in pain. When Slade wasn’t torturing him, the green meteor rock was still present, in lighter doses. Clark thought he even saw it in the meager food they offered him. Though he wasn’t sure if he was just a bit delusional and imagined it; everything around him seemed tinged with that sickly green color. He thought he might be a bit fevered, because he couldn’t think clearly, and he felt cold… so cold.

The last time he had seen Slade had been the worst. His back burned even more than his muscles, as Slade had seen fit to try and whip him into submission. Clark had already been weak, but after that last bout, he wasn’t sure how much longer he could take this-- could keep going.

They hadn’t even let him bathe, and had only given him a bucket for a toilet, not that he needed it much. He was given only one glass of water a day… just enough to keep him alive. But just barely, it seemed.

The constant exposure to Kryptonite was wearing on Clark, little by little. It felt like a constant burn in his muscles, even his eyes hurt to open now.

But Clark refused to speak. He let Wilson torture him, knowing that it was better that he suffer than Lois, or especially Joel…

Lying there in the dark, with only an eerie glow of green surrounding him for company, he thought about Lois and Joel. His thoughts were his only solace.

His memories were like pages in a scrapbook, each image a small comfort and small reminder why he needed to find a way through this… Like how Lois had always been there for him, in ways he hadn’t been ready to acknowledge at the time. How Lois had seen him for who he was without even knowing the truth about him.

Little, inconsequential moments came back to him, hitting his soul like a summer rain, cooling away the pain for just a brief respite.

Lois, holding him as he wept when he thought Lana had left him.
Lois, encouraging him to apply for work at the Planet.

Kissing Lois, in a red Kryptonite haze…

Lois, perched on his desk, telling him about how she had saved the day.

Lois, risking her own heart to reach out to him… even while he hid from her in the shadows.

Lois, believing in the Blur – speaking to him as if she could see to the very soul of him.

And Lois, dealing with his truth and birthing their child. Done with the same indomitable spirit and passion that she did everything.

Her smile… her strawberry shampoo. Her lips… Memories of her comforted him and made Clark believe that somehow, she’d find a way to rescue him. Because she had never given up on him – and he knew, never would.

~L&C~

Clark heard his name being called. He had passed out sometime after Slade had left his cell, his back raw from being whipped… how long had he been out of it?

“Clark?”

There it was again. Who was calling him?

Clark tried to sit up, but a cough wracked his body, his muscles weakened and strained.

“Jesus, what did they do to you, Clark?”

Oliver… was that Oliver? Clark tried to say his name.

“I’m here, buddy. We just got to shut this system down…”

It seemed like forever. Clark heard footsteps, and some more talking, but he couldn’t focus on what they were saying.

“…tied to an alarm…”

“…really bad, Chloe. Tell Lois…”

Then, there was a downward hum, as the room they were in plunged into darkness, save for the otherworldly glow of the green meteor rock.

“…didn’t do anything… we gotta move…”

Clark felt himself being lifted, his arms around Oliver and AC as they dragged him out of the cage. “…like lead…”

“Steel,” Clark heard himself say.

Clark could barely move, but he understood the urgency to get out of there. He had no strength, and knew that he had to try to help Oliver and AC move him.

“…only one flight up, okay Boy Scout?”

Clark nodded, struggling to move up the steps.

“Coast is clear…no alarms. Just this building is dark.” Clark thought that was Bart’s voice. “Got pics, too.”

Every footstep was painful, Clark’s muscles still burning from the exposure, his back unable to heal. He had never been exposed that long to meteor rock… “Daylight?” he asked, suddenly craving sunshine like a parched man craves water.

“No…a few more steps…”

The cool night air hit his body. He coughed, breathing fresh air into his lungs after so long in that basement.

“…this way…”

Clark saw a dark van. It looked vaguely familiar, but he had no presence of mind to process where he had seen it.

He was roughly hauled inside by his friends, lying down on the back seat. The cool leather felt comforting against his skin.
His energy was spent… he was safe. Now he could sleep.

~L&C~

Sam let out a breath of air when they got out of the vicinity of the base. No one spoke a word until then.

“How is he?” Sam asked, glancing in the rearview mirror, though not seeing much.

“Pretty bad… I wish we could take him to a hospital,” Oliver commented.

“No hospitals…” Clark mumbled.

“What happened to the power supply? Everything just shut down.”

“The stupid kid running security,” explained Sam in some surprise. “I went to talk to him, hoping just to distract him from checking the cameras, and he knocked his soda over. I ran to get him a towel, and then saw my chance. There was a reset button for the power grid to the whole building, right where he had spilled the soda. So I reached over and hit it. Bought us ten minutes.”

Oliver shook his head. “That’s some stupid luck there.”

“No, it’s Lane luck,” Sam corrected. “My Lois, I know, has it in spades.”

Oliver laughed lightly. “I guess you’re right.”

“Lois…” Clark murmured, still in a haze from the exposure.

“Is he going to be all right?” Sam asked worriedly, glancing again in the rearview mirror.

“I don’t know. I’ve seen him exposed to meteor rock before, but never like this.”

“Hmmm,” Sam said thoughtfully. “You got those pictures, son? Someone’s going to pay for this. I’ll see to that.”

~L&C~

“They got him!” Chloe said triumphantly, hanging up her cell.

Lois hugged her cousin. “Really? There was no trouble?”

Chloe paused, recalling what else Oliver had told her on the phone. “Not in getting out of there. But Lois… you should prepare yourself.”

“For what?” she asked warily, though Chloe suspected she already knew for what. Lois had told her what she had seen.

“He’s pretty bad off, Lois. Your dad is heading to the farm.”

Lois started gathering Joel’s things. “Well, I can’t beat them there, but I want to see Clark.”

Chloe nodded. “I know. I do too. At least, now it’s over.”

“Are you kidding me?” Lois asked, looking almost angry. “General Wilson will pay for whatever he’s done to Clark. Mark my word.”

~L&C~

The farmhouse was quiet when Lois pulled in the driveway.

Joel was asleep in his car seat as well. When Lois killed the engine, she sat there a moment, listening to the crickets—and preparing herself to see Clark.

Her father’s SUV was still there. She didn’t know why he had stayed. As soon as Slade learned Clark had escaped, surely this is where they’d come first, wouldn’t they? And then her father would have a lot of explaining to do.

Lois got Joel, who didn’t even wake up as she carried him into the house. The kitchen light was on, and her father was standing there, in his military fatigues.

“He’s been asking for you,” Sam said in a low voice. He reached for his grandson. “I’ll take him upstairs. Chloe rang, said she'd be here soon. Clark is on the sofa…” he said, nodding towards the living room.

“How—bad is it?” Lois asked, passing Joel to his grandfather.
Sam held Joel a minute, realizing it was the first moment he had held his grandson. “I—Lois, I’m so sorry I didn’t listen to you,” he said quietly.

Lois touched her father’s arm. “I’m just thankful that you’re here… and that you got Clark back.”

Sam nodded. “Go on, Lo’. He needs you.”

~L&C~

Sam took his grandson upstairs, though he wasn’t ready to tuck him into his crib just yet.

There was a rocking chair in the corner of Lois’ room, and he took a seat, settling Joel onto his chest.

“It’s been a crazy few weeks, hasn’t it kiddo?” Sam said, gently rocking in the chair, moonlight spilling in through the window beside them. He hadn’t bothered turning on a light, not wanting to disturb the little tyke’s sleep.

“I haven’t held a baby since Lucy was little,” he whispered to his grandson. “Who’s Lucy? Well, she’s your aunt… you’ll meet her eventually. To tell you the truth, you should’ve met her by now. And you would have, too, if I hadn’t been such a fool. I’m sorry about what happened to you – and to your father. None of you deserved that… And I wonder---well, I know it’s in the past, but—I wonder if I hadn’t been a stubborn old fool, if any of this would have happened at all.”

Sam got up, ready to lay his grandson in his crib. “I’m pretty tuckered out, too. You go on to sleep now… and know that there’s a house full of people that love you. Good night.”

~L&C~

Lois slowly made her way into the living room. The room was dark, though she could make out Clark’s shape on the sofa. He was wearing a dark t-shirt and jeans, lying on his stomach. He appeared to be sleeping, though his breathing was rough, and she heard him cough every now and then.

“Lois…” he whispered, so that she barely heard him. But it was enough. Whatever she had feared about seeing him like this vanished when she heard him call for her.

She sat beside him, taking his hand in hers. “I’m here,” she said softly.

His hand was weak in hers, and the weakness brought tears to her eyes. She lifted his hand to her cheek. “Oh, Clark. What did they do to you?”

She recognized that he was wearing the same clothes he had been captured in. He needed a shower as well, as he reeked of sweat and a sickly smell that she couldn’t quite name. In the dim light, his t-shirt seemed soaked through. She knew he was exhausted, but perhaps she could help make him a bit more comfortable. Lois touched his back, to tell him she was going to help him change clothes, then she paused. His shirt was wet through, with something other than sweat.

She reached over and turned on the table lamp, a shocked gasp escaping her lips as she saw his back. “Clark! Oh, Clark…” she said softer, taking in just how badly off he was. She wasn’t sure he was asleep, but his eyes were closed.

He coughed again, and reached for her hand. “Lois…”

She gave her hand to him, as her throat constricted with sadness, and then anger. “I’m here, Clark… Don’t worry, you’re safe now,” she whispered.

She saw her father’s shadow on the stairs and he paused in the living room.

“Daddy, did you see what they did to him?” she said, her voice choking on her anger.

Sam came over to inspect Clark, keeping any emotional reaction hidden. “We’ve got to get him cleaned up, Lo’,” Sam answered practically. “I didn’t know he was this bad off when I brought him inside.”

Lois nodded, standing up, ready to take orders. Her father had always been good in a crisis.

“Get a large bowl of warm water, and some rags. Bring him some fresh clothes. I’ll help you change him and get him cleaned up,” Sam said calmly.

Lois didn’t trust herself to speak, but simply gave her father a hug before heading upstairs to get Clark some clean clothes.

Hot tears sprung in her eyes as she climbed the stairs, as outrage and shock took over. She couldn’t believe what Slade had done to Clark. No one deserved to be treated like that, like an animal. To calm herself, Lois thought up a headline she would write to put General Wilson in his place, all the while grabbing things to get Clark clean and comfortable again.

Gruesome General Sees Justice

Slimy Slade Sent to Jail

VRA Not Passed, General Found Guilty of Torture

Lois hurried down the stairs, moving into the kitchen to get a bowl of warm water. She then laid all her supplies on the living room chair, seeing that Sam had managed to get Clark out of his t-shirt and jeans.

“I got him as comfortable as I could, Lois. I think he may have a fever. I’ll see if there’s some ice in the freezer, and then I’ll leave you to him,” he said, laying a gentle hand on Lois’ arm as she sat down. “This is going to take all your strength, Lois, to tend to him like this. Are you sure you’re up for it? I’ll stay if you want me to.”

Lois shook her head. “It’s okay, Daddy. You’ve done more than enough bringing him home… Just promise me one thing.”

“Anything.”

All of Lois’ rage at the injustice done to Clark poured into one glance. “Make sure the VRA doesn’t pass. And that General Wilson never sees the light of day again.”

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink