Martha Kent entered the Senate chambers, still blown away by the fact that she was a Senator. She was early, and it was quiet moments like these that almost gave her chills. She’d mull over the history of the country, over the debates of ideas that these walls had witnessed – and she’d inevitably think of Jonathan. His idealism still encouraged her, even after all this time – and even after she had seen the shiny veneer of being a US Senator wear off due to, either the intransigence or dishonesty, of those she worked with.

She sighed as she went over her notes for what she would say today. They were debating the VRA bill, and Martha was hoping to push it as a States’ Rights decision, so there could be a referendum. She had written her speech more than a week ago – before she knew about what happened to Clark.

Her words were still persuasive, but she couldn’t talk about the military base Lois had discovered, or the fact that they were torturing people there. Not without revealing Clark’s secret, and potentially putting him in more danger. No, she had to use reason and the law, calmly, to make this happen.

“Mrs. Kent?” came a deep but gentle voice from somewhere behind her.

Martha tried to smile as she saw General Sam Lane approach her. He was supposed to be debating the other side, along with Senator Kemp.

“Good morning, General,” she said, giving what she hoped was a friendly smile.

He took off his military hat, and reached to shake her hand. “Good morning, Mrs. Kent. I just wanted you to know, that though we may stand on different sides of this issue, I still consider you a friend.”

“I appreciate that, General,” Martha answered, genuinely touched.

Sam leaned in conspiratorially. “You know, between you and me? I’m starting to have doubts about this whole thing,” he confessed in a low voice.

“Oh?” said Martha interestedly.

“Yeah… believe it or not, the Blur saved my hide a while back.”

Martha felt her heart drop to her stomach, fearing that the Blur –her son – may not be able to make any more saves if he didn’t get out of that facility in Alaska.

Martha could hear the rumble of people coming into the Chamber, yet something prodded her to stop Sam before he found his seat. “Um, General? After the debate, I’d be honored if you’d let me take you to lunch – so we can let bygones be bygones?”

Sam smiled at her. “Mrs. Kent, the honor would be all mine.”

~L&C~

Later that afternoon, after a long, spirited debate in the Senate, Martha and General Lane sat down for lunch. She suggested that they head into Georgetown, telling the General that it had a bit of a small town-feel which reminded her of Smallville. But the real reason was that most of Congress would remain close to the Capitol for lunch, and she wanted to avoid colleagues.

They entered a quaint little seafood restaurant, and were afforded privacy by the tall blue leather booths.

“I’m surprised you still wanted to take me to lunch after that performance, Mrs. Kent,” Sam commented, beginning to peruse his menu.

“I never back down on a promise, General.”

“Hmm… “ Sam responded noncommittally.

A few moments of silence ensued as they chose their meals. Martha waited until the waitress had brought their drinks before she got down to brass tacks.

“So, just curious, General… do you really think these heroes are a danger to society?”

“You don’t pull any punches, do you Mrs. Kent? Perhaps you’ve taken a lesson from my Lois,” he ribbed good-naturedly. “Honestly, I am not sure what I think anymore. I said what I had to say today, but I hope it will go to a national referendum, like you suggested. After being –rescued, by the Blur – well, I know your son sympathizes with—“

Sam paused as he noticed Martha’s distraught look, as much as she tried to hide it with a smile. “What is it, Mrs. Kent?”

“Um… it’s just my son. He—he’s missing,” she said, admitting part of the truth before she could stop herself.

“Missing? I thought it was my grandson—“

Martha shook her head. “No, no… he –he was found,” she tried to explain, realizing she may have already said too much. She glanced across at Lois’ father, knowing that Lois had at one time believed in him, and perhaps still did… she wondered – could he help?

“Then why is Clark now missing?” Sam asked deliberately. “What is it you’re not telling me?”

Martha started nervously playing with her napkin, knowing this could go terribly wrong. “You had Clark investigated,” she said in a low voice. “Surely you can put the pieces together, General.”

“Are you saying Clark was arrested because of me?” he asked, starting to sound defensive.

“General, very few people know the—the truth about my son,” she said slowly. “Those that know either risk putting themselves in danger – or, they could destroy him.”

“What is it you’re trying to tell me, Mrs. Kent?”

She glanced up at Sam, trying to read him. She knew what she was about to say could indeed destroy her family – but Lois was part of her family, too. And despite the tension between Sam and Lois, she knew he loved his daughter.

Besides, if she didn’t say something, who knew what would happen to Clark? At least Sam knew the military. If anyone could help her son, she thought it would be him.

Martha sighed anxiously, now wishing she had at least talked this over with Lois. Lois might be spitting angry when she learned that Martha went behind her back to talk to her father…

“Maybe this was a mistake,” Martha said in a rush, about to excuse herself to the ladies room to think.

“Wait… please, Mrs. Kent. As I told you before, I am more than grateful to you – and your late husband for taking care of my little Lo’. I know I may have jumped the gun a bit on judging Clark… I can see that something has you very worried, and I’d like to help. If you’ll let me.”

Martha let out a low breath, knowing this was it. Either she’d win an ally, or destroy forever Sam’s trust in her family – and that included Lois.

“General, do you know what they are going to do with—vigilantes that they arrest under the VRA?”

He nodded, seeming a bit taken aback by the change of subject. “Sure. They’ll be given a chance to enlist, to serve Uncle Sam the old fashioned way.”

Martha shook her head, slowly, feeling tears well up as she thought of her son. “No, General. That is not the plan – at least not the official one. They are planning on holding them prisoner, and torturing them. I know because – they have my son.”

“What? Who has your son?”

“Whoever is behind the VRA. Really behind it.”

Sam thought about that for a moment, then leaned in. “Why do they have your son, Mrs. Kent?”

“The same reason they took Joel – and released him. Because they really wanted Clark. Because he--- he helps people. He—“

“He’s the Blur,” Sam whispered, with sudden realization.

Martha felt a few tears spill down her cheeks, nodding. “Yes. But he’s a good man, General. He doesn’t deserve to be treated this way.”

“How do you know what happened to him? How did you get Joel back?”

Martha sighed, knowing she couldn’t explain more. She had already said too much as it was. “I’m afraid, in order to get that story, you’ll have to ask your daughter.”

~L&C~

Lois was packing Joel’s things to take to Metropolis, to go over a plan with the others at Watchtower on how they would get Clark out of Fort Abrams. She was mentally juggling a list of things to bring, as well as strategies for how they could sneak into the base, when she heard a knock at the door.

Lois wasn’t expecting anyone, and wondered who could it be. She picked up Joel on instinct, not wanting to leave him alone for even a second after recent events.

She opened the front door, letting out a small gasp of surprise. “Daddy, what are you doing here?”

“Lois, I—I owe you an apology,” he said solemnly, without preliminaries. “And I want to see my grandson.”

Those words sent a rush of grateful joy through Lois. Tucking Joel closer to her side, she threw her other arm around her father. Her emotions were already running high, worried about Clark, so she found herself unable to speak a moment as tears filled her eyes.

“So, are you going to invite your father in?”

“Yes, of course. Come in, Daddy,” she managed, wiping the tears from her cheeks. “Um, would you like something to drink?”

“No, thank you, Lois… I just want to talk to you a minute,” he said, gesturing that they should sit in the living room.

“Okay,” Lois said in some surprise. “But I can’t take long. I have to be in Metropolis later,” she said vaguely.

“That’s all right. Just have a seat.”

Lois sat down, adjusting Joel on her lap. She reached for a toy on the side table, then smiled at her father. “I thought you’d never speak to me again,” she said in a low voice.

“I’ve had a change of heart recently,” Sam admitted.

“What happened?” she asked, eyeing her father carefully.

“The Blur,” he said, getting her attention. “He saved my life.”

The same shadow that Sam had seen pass over Martha’s face, crossed Lois’. Though hers looked more forlorn, hurt even. Martha had said that they were torturing prisoners. Had Lois seen any of that?

“And what about the VRA?” Lois managed to ask.

“Well, I’m not so sure it’s a good idea anymore – especially if they are about capturing my grandson and imprisoning my future son-in-law.”

Lois’ gaze shot up and met her father’s. “How – how did you know?”

Sam sighed. “Martha Kent told me.”

Lois nodded, processing that. “Everything?” she asked, letting out a puff of air.

“She told me enough to need to come here. What did you see, Lois? What are they doing with Clark?”

Lois bit her lip, like she used to do as a child when she was upset, and it tore at Sam’s heart. He reached across the coffee table, putting his hand on his daughter’s shoulder. “I know what he means to you, Lois. I want to help.”

“I can’t tell you everything,” she whispered, torn. She could believe that her father was willing to help her get Clark back – but could she trust him with his secret?

“Lois, I know,” he said firmly. When Lois stared blankly at him, he made himself clear. “I know Clark’s the Blur.”

“You—you do?” she asked, feeling faint.

Sam nodded. “And I need to know what they are doing to him… and why. I promise – I just want to help.”

Lois swallowed, thinking, her mind racing. She eventually let out a deep breath, feeling resolved. “In for a penny?”

“In for a pound,” her father responded, in an old childhood expression they had used to mean they were all in on something.

Lois nodded, then kissed her son’s forehead. “I had to trade my fiancé for my son,” she said eventually, her voice rising as she held back tears. “Daddy, I know you raised me to believe in this country and the military – and I still do. Well, I want to. But what they are doing to the heroes—“

“Lois, what did you see? What did they do to Clark?”

“It’s the green meteor rock,” she got out in a whisper, tears filling her eyes as images of Clark in agony assaulted her. “Clark is—special. And many things can’t hurt him. But this special meteor rock… it could kill him.”

Sam thought about that a moment, and Lois thought she could see memories flicker across her father’s face of wrongs he’d witnessed in his time. As a child, she had always believed her father was a hero, could fix all the world’s wrongs. Part of her still wanted to believe that.

Sam shook his head, his eyebrows knotted in concern. “I’m sorry you had to see that, Lois. Nothing is worse than seeing those you love hurt.”

“They are taking him to Fort Abrams, Daddy,” she said, sitting up and wiping her tears, suddenly feeling hopeful again. “You and I know that base inside and out… I don’t know when, though.”

Sam nodded. “I can find out.”

“Daddy, that would be wonderful, but that’s all I need. Don’t do anything else. I mean – if you got caught helping us—“

“Us?”

She smiled shyly, “Well, yeah—let’s just say I know some pretty special friends. But if you got caught—“

“I’ll do my job from the inside, Lois. I know it must be Slade Wilson who is behind the torture. All we need is proof, and I’ll gladly testify against that bastard. I’ve suspected he was up to more than just his patriotic duty with the VRA. This just proves it.”

Lois smiled, fully this time. “Welcome to our side, Daddy.”

~L&C~

Clark groaned as he awoke. He was being taken somewhere…

He hadn’t remembered being moved, but he was definitely in a high tech van of some sort. A green glow circled the edges of the confined space, a moving liquid in a tube, keeping him immobile. Clark felt weak and sweaty. He tried to remember what had happened… but all he had were vague memories of being questioned and then tortured with kryptonite.

Clark tried to access any of his powers, but failed at every attempt. He thought it must have been three or four days since they had captured him… and over half of that time he had spent exposed to the green meteor rock. No wonder he was so helpless…

He had a headache, and his muscles felt sore and heavy. Clark couldn’t remember eating or drinking much either. He felt slightly nauseous, and he wondered how long his body could take this assault. Did they intend to kill him?

“Lois…” Her name slipped out of his lips like a prayer. He knew she had to be working with the Team at Watchtower to get him back, but he wasn’t sure if they could succeed. He didn’t want her to be put in any danger, nor risk anyone coming after their son again.

Clark fought against the urge to despair, knowing that General Wilson already knew too much about him… and they had already threatened his family. Clark indulged in a fantasy for just a moment, imagining burning that hellhole in Alaska down to the ground. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do with General Wilson, but he definitely wanted justice.

He sighed, uncomfortable on the cold steel table they had tied him to. It was like he was an animal, to be experimented on and bent to General Wilson’s will. It was Clark’s worse nightmare come true.

Clark closed his eyes… maybe not his worst. At least Lois and his son were safe. He could endure anything, as long as they remained okay.

He hoped he could, anyway.

The van was slowing down. When they stopped, the green meteor rock grew brighter around him, to weaken him. Clark felt bile rise in his throat, as he waited for what they would do next to him.

Clark could hear footsteps, and for one delusional moment, he thought maybe his powers were coming back. He hoped desperately that the doors would open and that sunlight would spill inside, renewing him against the relentless exposure of the kryptonite.

But the doors opened inside a compound of some sort. Clark felt despondency wash over him, as he wasn’t even given the chance to feel any relief from the green meteor rock. Two soldiers flipped him on his stomach and cuffed him with special meteor rock filled handcuffs.

They helped him off the table, forcing him to walk. As they stepped out of the van, Clark looked around, noticing they were in some sort of lab. As he looked closer, he felt an eerie sense of déja vu. He recognized some of the equipment around them. Meteor rock stood in glass jars on a table, and Clark saw the imprint of ‘Cadmus Labs’ on one of the shelves.

“Lex,” he whispered. As Lois’ name had been like a prayer on his lips a few moments ago, Lex’s was a curse. Was he somehow behind all of this?

Wilson appeared in front of Clark. “What do you think of all this, hmm?” he said, gesturing to the technicians and experiments going on around him. “Take a good look… this is how we learned about you. Thanks to Lex Luthor’s research, we were able to learn all of your strengths and weaknesses.”

Wilson leaned in closer to Clark, a sinister smile on his face. “All you have to do is Uncle Sam’s bidding, any time, day or night, and your suffering will end.”

“I cannot believe this is condoned by the military… we are in a lab—“

Wilson nodded. “That’s right. This was constructed under Fort Abrams. Luthorcorp gave over its research to the US military – and once the VRA passes, you’re mine.”

Clark shook his head, feeling confused and unsure. The green kryptonite was playing with his mind, surely. He couldn’t imagine that Lex had known this much about him… never mind give away these secrets to the government. Lex would have wanted the knowledge all to himself.

“Did Lex know—about me?” Clark found himself asking.

Wilson clapped Clark on the back, leading him to a small cell, in the far corner of the lab. “Oh, not everything, no. But he laid the groundwork.”

Something Wilson had said stuck with Clark, though he was too dizzy to focus on it… It had been about the VRA… if it passes—

“None of this is legal, is it? Not without that Bill…”

Wilson shut the cell door on Clark, his semi-friendly demeanor gone. “This is war… your kind against the human race. And laws can be written to suit history.”

Wilson nodded at an assistant who flipped a switch. A glowing surge of green meteor rock flooded the small cell as its power was intensified. Clark groaned in protest, his whole body feeling like it was on fire. Eventually, the pain became too great. Through the blinding haze of pain, Clark watched Wilson walk away…and Clark’s world suddenly became black.

~L&C~

Sam let Lois blindfold him on the way to Watchtower, partly because he understood the need for him not to have knowledge of where it was located. And partly, because he wanted to earn her trust back.

She didn’t say much on the way into Metropolis, and her answers were brief when he asked questions. He mainly asked about Clark – working with him, living with him. She was reluctant to share things about his Blur-related activities or abilities, but she was happy to talk about the man himself.

“He’s different from anyone I ever dated… I used to think I needed excitement and danger, and I guess in some ways, I get that with Clark, too. But there’s a steadiness to him, an assurance – that I need more,” she said, her voice going quieter. “He’s the stability I never had. And I don’t blame you or Mom,” she hastily added. “It’s just, with Clark… I just know that he’ll always be there for me. And I’ll always be there for him.”

“That’s how I felt about your mother, Lo’,” Sam admitted. “She was my rock… and I’m sorry for all the times I couldn’t be there for you.”

“No, Daddy, it’s okay—“

“Lois,” he said sternly, in a voice that brooked no argument. “Let me finish. I am sorry… I know I missed a lot of your and Lucy’s childhood. And I understand that Clark’s life might come with similar---responsibilities like I had. Are you sure you’ll be happy with him?”

Lois pulled into a parking space in the parking garage under Watchtower. Her father was still blindfolded, but she marveled at how much he could see – and yet still not get it. “I always thought that we were left behind – Mom, Lucy, and I. And I told myself for years that I never wanted to be left behind again. But then I remember—when you’d come home, we’d barbeque or play board games, or you and Mom would go off somewhere… and I realized, you needed us to recharge. You needed our stability, our love, to do what you do, right?”

Sam held out his hand and Lois took it. He kissed her hand in a sweet, solemn gesture. “You have no idea, Lois, what it was like, seeing you girls after the hell of a deployment,” he said, his voice cracking, and Lois thought it might have been the first and only time she had seen her father near tears, though she couldn’t see his eyes.

“That’s what I want to be for Clark. I know that now. I understand that, now. And I know I can still be my own person, have my own career, too. But I know he needs that – probably now more than ever,” she said, thinking about what Wilson could be doing to him.

Sam squeezed his daughter’s hand in his. “Then let’s go to this secret hideout of yours and figure out how we’ll rescue him. Besides, I’m kinda getting sick of this bandana.”

Lois smiled through her teary eyes. “Let’s go.”

~L&C~

Lois stepped into Watchtower, Joel on her hip. The heroes were assembled by the main computer, starting to form a plan to get Clark out of Fort Abrams.

“Um, guys?” Lois said shyly. “I know you’re going to kill me for this… but, um, I kind of brought someone along who really wants to help.”

Everyone turned towards Lois, looking at her with a mix of expectancy and trepidation.

“Lois, you can’t just bring anyone into Watchtower,” Chloe admonished.

“I know. And he’s not just anyone,” she said, turning to peek around the door. “He’s my dad.”

Sam stepped in, taking off his blindfold. He was struck dumb for a moment, taking in the space, and the small band of heroes that stood before him. He held up the bandana. “Lois had me wear this all the way from Smallville, I swear… And I do want to help.”

Lois could sense uncertainty radiating from certain members of the team, and she wanted to do what she could to mitigate the damage. “Dad knows Fort Abrams better than anyone – well, except maybe me. But I know he’ll be an asset.”

Chloe smiled, and hurried over to Sam to greet her uncle, standing in solidarity between him and Lois. “I’m glad you’re here. We could use your knowledge of the military on this mission.”

“And the VRA?” Oliver asked, glancing warily at General Lane.

“I had no idea what they were really about,” Sam admitted humbly. “I will do what I can to put a stop to it, you can count on that.”

Oliver weighed the honesty of those words. His eyes met Chloe’s and then Lois’. Lois hoped Oliver would see and accept her earnest faith in her father. After another moment, Oliver stepped over to Sam Lane, offering his hand.

“Welcome to the Team, sir.”

--

Important announcement here!

Last edited by mozartmaid; 05/30/14 05:30 AM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink