Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Saw this earlier today. Enjoyed it a lot, but don't really want to say much about the plot, your basic "mental travel back in time to prevent the apocalypse" do-over. It's similar to other versions of the Sentinels story line and there are some nice "blink and you'll miss them" surprises which it would be a shame to reveal. Their version of the 1970s was excellent - everyone has too much hair, Professor X appears to be on drugs, and there are lots of nice touches like Hank McCoy mentioning that he has equipment automatically monitoring "all three TV channels and PBS," then repeating "And PBS" to emphasise how complete the coverage is when Logan repeats "all three channels?" And what's on the TV while they're talking? Apart from the news, Star Trek T.O.S.! We also learn more than I expected about mutant involvement in the assassination of JFK.

The apocalyptic future worked well - vaguely matrix-like, with lots of Sentinels killing mutants - and anyone who carries the x-gene or its precursers, sympathisers, and anything else the ruling elite don't like. It's a nice touch that we never see this elite, only their Sentinel minions.

Back in the seventies there's a fairly realistic portrayal of Richard Nixon which manages to stop short of parody, and a nice frothing performance by Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones etc.) as Bolivar Trask, the main villain, who seems to be the Anti-Stark. Prompted me to add Jason Trask to the list of fictional characters named Trask on Wikipedia.

The ending is ambiguous enough that it's not clear if they're restoring the original X-men movie timeline or making changes - one change is obvious, but is a spoiler, something else at the end may make big changes to Logan and his back-story.

The end credits scene is right at the end after all credits and is annoyingly cryptic for those who aren't very familiar with this universe, someone making serious use of telekinesis. No doubt there'll be plenty of explanations available soon.

Overall I liked it a lot, and will probably get the DVD eventually.

One thing - if Stan Lee was in it I missed him completely. Anyone know?

later - apparently Stan Lee wasn't in it, a scheduling conflict.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 05/23/14 08:06 AM.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One thing - if Stan Lee was in it I missed him completely. Anyone know?

later - apparently Stan Lee wasn't in it, a scheduling conflict.

I was wondering the same thing - at first I thought he might have been one of the panel of elderly Congressmen who were hearing out Bolivar Trask while the latter was trying to get funding for his Sentinels. But usually they give Stan Lee some sort of appropriate line or action for his cameo.

Marcus - since I'm not familiar with the universe, could you give me a hint on what was going on in the very last scene of the movie?

Kerth
Kerth
OMG! I just got back from seeing this movie (and Godzilla, which was also surprisingly good) and OMG I can't describe how impressed I was by this film.

Generically speaking I've always loved the X-men movies. They're not really anyone's favorites (shame) but they don't really care and to me that pretty much speaks to the whole theme of the X-men. This movie felt like a comic book movie to me.

The whole thing was pretty fantastic. I won't give out spoilers, (even though it's KILLING me) but I can say go see it. If you know anything about the X-men and their movies, go see it.

Okay, and one *minor* spoiler that's not really a spoiler at all for those who know comic lineage:
Quicksilver really stole the show for a few scenes! I loved his character, and I'm curious to find what anyone else thinks about his appearance. He's slated to pop back up with a broader role in the next film, and my guess is that they are in fact keeping him as Magneto's son. (He had that one throw-away line to Eric about how he bends metal, and his mom knew someone who could do that once. shocked )
My wonder is: (contains Capt. America 2 reference)
How are they going to have the X-men use Quicksilver (FOX) and Marvel at the same time? The end preview of Captain America hinted at using Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch in the next movie, which obviously would cause some rights issues of their own, because Marvel can't call them mutants. The talk was that they were going to create new backstories for them, but now I don't want any other Quicksilver than the one I just saw.

The end credits scene was a bit ambiguous. Potential spoiler:
There's some talk about it having something to do with the four horsemen, who are connected to Apocalypse...

They've already slated the next X-men movie to come out in 2016 (I think May), and it's going to be X-men: Apocalypse. I'm excited to see what they do next, because honestly, they've pretty much got free reign from here on out. laugh It just ensures that I'll continue watching X-Men movies for a long time now.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally Posted by IolantheAlias
Marcus - since I'm not familiar with the universe, could you give me a hint on what was going on in the very last scene of the movie?

I'm not as well up as I should be on some aspects of X-men canon, but as I understand it:

Apocalypse is a hugely powerful ancient mutant, who has been around for 5000 years and believes that only the strong deserve to survive. This scene shows in Ancient Egypt (I'm guessing but it seems plausible) building a pyramid which (I think) he will later use as a safe refuge for periods spent in suspended animation. There's a lot more about him and his abilities here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(comics)

Hope this helps.

Re the thing at the end of Captain America 2:

Apparently it's going to be a different actor and a different back-story in which they are somehow created by science, not mutants. The female character is his sister, Wanda Maximoff AKA The Scarlet Witch.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 05/28/14 06:43 PM.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Excellent film! Peter Dinklage is amazing as Bolivar Trask!!!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard