Guards shoved Clark to his feet, putting cuffs on his wrists that were glowing with green Kryptonite. Clark stumbled as they led him out of the cage.

Slade turned down the intensity of the Kryptonite cage, though it gave Clark little respite. The cuffs were like fire on his wrists.

“I’m no threat. There’s no need to treat me this way. Just tell me what you want to know,” Clark pleaded. He felt dizzy, unsure of how long they had left him in that cage, though he thought it had been more than a couple of hours.

Clark felt a gun nuzzle his back, encouraging him to walk. He shuffled on his feet, the dizzy feeling making his equilibrium feel off.

General Wilson circled Clark, looking like a hawk about to attack its prey. “Where do you come from? How many of you are there on this planet? You are a threat to national security—“

“I am not a threat!” Clark cried, the pain of the green meteor rock making it hard for him to remain calm.

“We know that there were hundreds of you – if not more. Where have they gone? Are they bringing more to start a war?” Slade demanded.

Clark shook his head, having difficulty focusing. “No—you have it all wrong. They are gone. The Kan—they will never return. All that is left is me…”

“And how do we know that you cannot command an army at your will? That you don’t have plans to try and take over the world?”

Clark almost laughed at the absurdity of it. He had been raised to believe in the good of humanity, to use his powers to help and never hurt… they didn’t understand him. Men like Slade used power over others; he couldn’t understand how a man who had as much power as Clark would not want to conquer and destroy those who stood in his way.

A wry laugh did escape Clark’s lips, though he tried to rein it in, knowing how it might sound to Slade. “All I want to do is help people. That is all I’ve ever tried to do…” he said calmly.

“We will know your secrets,” Slade said menacingly, standing close to Clark. “And if you do not cooperate, remember that we know where your family lives.” Slade nodded to a guard, and they hauled Clark away to a small cell.

The ceiling overhead glowed with green meteor rock as they took off Clark’s shackles. The door shut, and Slade stood behind it, staring at Clark through a small window. “That ceiling above you is motion sensitive. If you get closer than six inches to any of the walls, it will turn on, full power. Enjoy your rest… we’ll speak again tomorrow.”

Clark heard the footsteps outside the cell gradually die away. Where he was left on the floor, he could just barely sense the green Kryptonite above him. It wasn’t painful, but it held him in check. Clark struggled to his feet, just to test the boundaries of his new cell. He stepped closer to the door, and when he was almost touching it, the ceiling glowed a bright green, sending a sharp sting of pain through his body.

Clark stepped back, assessing his small space. At least there was a tiny sink and a bucket. A cot lay in the middle of the room, and there were no windows… that meant no sunlight.

Clark sat heavily on the cot, trying to keep the despair at bay. How had they learned all his secrets? Well, not all… they didn’t know where he was from. But did it matter? They knew how to control him, how to hurt him…

How could they have found out so much about him? Clark had been so careful for so many years, and only a handful of people had known his secrets…

Who could they have investigated, who might have any information about him?

Clark wondered if it had been Lionel? Or Lex…

He sighed, lying on his side. What did it matter anyway?

He was trapped here for now… Clark closed his eyes, shutting out the taunting Kryptonite ceiling overhead. He, instead, conjured Lois’ smile... It had been too long since the two of them were happy… since before the wedding.

Now those dreams seemed like dust in Clark’s hands… he had to find a way out of here, a way back to her.

And somehow, Clark had to hold onto the hope that everything would be okay.

~L&C~

As soon as they landed in Metropolis, and got out of the helicopter, Lois clapped her hand on Oliver’s shoulder. “They are going to move him. I don’t know where to, but they won’t keep him in that facility long.”

Oliver sighed with a nod. “Okay, let’s go to Watchtower and make sure Chloe has an eye on that place. Meanwhile, are you okay?”

Lois closed her eyes, struggling to rein in the torrent of emotions. “I mean, I have my little boy back… that makes me happy. But Clark—“ she couldn’t get the words out. “We have to get him back, Ollie. We just have to.”

“I know, Lois. We will… But Clark is not the only one Slade has under his thumb—AC never made it out either.”

“Then let’s get to Watchtower and figure out our next move.”

~L&C~

“Okay, I will be able to tell if they move anything or anyone out of that place, so long as they do it above ground,” Chloe said, once she had been updated by Lois and Oliver.
“But—breaking in there again? Guys… I think our best bet is to wait until they do move him. Again, provided they don’t do it underground.”

“But we have no idea when that might be. And if we see something happening, we can’t get a team up there in time to stop it,” Lois reasoned.

“Lois is right… we either gotta camp out up there, and they may spot us… or we simply have to just follow wherever they take him,” Oliver chimed in. He glanced at Lois, who looked tired and strained from the ordeal. “Lois, do you want me to take you home? You must be exhausted.”

She shook her head. “No, not yet. I mean, we still need to figure out a plan.”

“Lois, it’s after midnight. Joel is crashed out in the baby seat, and you will be of better use to Clark with some shuteye,” Chloe added.

Lois shrugged. “Fine, I know when I’m out numbered… but Chloe? Would you mind staying with me tonight? I really don’t want to be all alone.”

“Of course! Watchtower can keep an eagle eye on everything, and update me through my Blackberry. No worries. Let’s get you home.”

~L&C~

Chloe was asleep downstairs, though Lois kept tossing and turning. She would start to fall asleep and then jolt herself awake, needing to reach out to the crib beside her bed and feel Joel was still there.

Then, she’d reach out to the cold empty space on the other side of her, and memories of seeing Clark writhing in pain assaulted her. She couldn’t sleep in this comfortable bed, knowing that he was suffering in that cage…

She had to do something, but she didn’t know what.

She absolutely couldn’t go to the General. He would be of no help, of that she was certain… But she needed someone with connections, someone who could investigate what the VRA and Slade were up to.

Martha!

Of course! Why hadn’t she thought of that before? Lois sat up in bed, turning on the bedside lamp and reaching for her cellphone. It was almost two in the morning… too late to call Martha. And what could she tell her over the phone, that wouldn’t be dangerous if overheard somehow?

Lois never sent Martha texts, but she thought if she did, then Martha might be alerted at least that something was going on…besides, she at least needed to tell her that her grandson was safe. As for her son…

Lois took in a deep breath and typed a short message: “Joel is safe home. Clark is gone. Call me tomorrow.”

She hit send, hoping that Martha would put the pieces together and not call on a phone that someone like Slade could get a warrant for.

Lois leaned over the crib, checking on Joel once more. The sound of his breathing was comforting to her, especially since she had feared never to hear it again. Lois pulled the covers over herself and closed her eyes, thinking of Clark.

She tried to think of him when they had been happy, oh so briefly before the wedding. Yet the image of him in that horrible cage kept jumping to the fore.

“Clark…” the name escaped her lips like a benediction, a prayer. She imagined his strong arms wrapped around her, her head tucked under his chin as she’d listen to the rumble of him speaking, pillowed on his chest. She hadn’t realized how important those moments were to her, until now…

He would come back to her…

Just like they got Joel.

Clark would be home before she knew it…

~L&C~

The phone was ringing downstairs. It stirred Lois awake, and apparently was disturbing Joel’s sleep as well. He was making fussy noises next to her, noises which Lois knew would erupt into a full blown cry if she didn’t get up.

“Chloe?” she called out, hoping her cousin would pick up the phone, but there was no response.

Lois sighed, sitting up and shuffling on her slippers. She reached for Joel and headed down the stairs. The phone had been ringing a good minute or so. Lois’ half-asleep brain wondered who would be calling the house phone.

“Hello?” she answered sleepily, heading to the fridge to get Joel a bottle of milk.

“Lois, it’s Martha. I got your message.”

Lois was immediately more awake, slamming the fridge door harder than she meant to. “Mrs. K—where are you calling from?” Lois asked cautiously.

“A payphone downtown. I was worried about using my cell—“

“Yeah, I know. The VRA is supposedly connected to the government, but honestly, I’m not sure who or what to trust.”

“So, you found Joel? Is he all right?”

Lois was settling Joel into his highchair, so he could enjoy his bottle. She smiled, so relieved to have him back. “He’s fine…”

“And—Clark?” Martha sounded hesitant.

Lois felt her throat constrict with unexpected tears. “He—he exchanged himself for the release of me and our son. Martha, General Wilson knows his secrets. At least most of them…”

“Oh no,” Martha whispered fearfully. “It can’t be… it was always Jonathan’s and my worst fear.”

“I know… mine too, once I knew the truth about him.”

“Lois, what did Slade want with him? What will they do to him?” Martha asked fretfully.

Lois could hear her own fears echoed in Martha’s voice. “I don’t know…All I know is what we can do on this end,” she said practically, tamping down her fears by giving herself purpose, something to do towards getting Clark out of there. “I’m wondering if you can look into the VRA? Find out how legitimate it is, who else knows about it.”

“Of course you know that I’ll do everything I can. Pull every favor I can,” Martha promised fervently. “But, I wonder… might your father be more helpful in getting that information?” Martha asked gently, knowing she might be hitting on a sore subject.

“The General has no desire to help me – and especially not Clark,” Lois answered sadly. “No, I can’t rely on him. Please, Martha? You have to try.”

“Of course I will, Lois. He’s my son. I’d do anything for him.”

“Good. So would I…”

~L&C~

AC was parched with thirst… it was a deep, burning thirst – all over his body.

They had kept him strung up under a radiating light for hours now… But there had been no sign of Oliver, or Clark… That could only mean that they were most likely being held somewhere as well. He was on his own to get out of this one…

His backup plan was Mira, his wife who had amazing abilities much like himself. It had been a stunning discovery to find her, swimming at lightning speed in the South Pacific. They had swum past each other, and then stopped – each transfixed by their discovery of a person with similar powers.

She had gestured that he follow her, and she led him to an island with not another soul on it. They had all they needed though, and had talked for hours that first night…

With the sunrise, they took off across the ocean, racing each other, along with schools of dolphins. An epic swim full of laughter – and kisses….

AC thought of that first day with Mira now, summoning what little strength he had through his memory of water.

Mira would come… he had told her his plan, as he told her everything. He had wanted it to be a happy reunion, and a chance to introduce Mira to the team… but at least he knew, she would come.

~L&C~

Mira reached the government building, buried in the Alaskan wilderness, filled with trepidation. Orin hadn’t returned, and he had warned her of how dangerous this mission was.

But why he was willing to risk his life to save that of a friend’s baby, she wasn’t so sure. She had been a loner most of her life – and family was all but a mystery to her.

But marriage, she understood. She was on equal footing with Orin, and that meant when he needed rescuing, she’d be there for him—just like he’d be there for her.

Luckily for her, the water entrances were not closely watched, at least, not from what she could tell. Hopefully no one expected someone to slip in from twenty feet below sea level. Still, she had to be careful.

Mira pulled herself up through a grate, standing in an underground sewer system. She had seen from the approach how big the building was. Finding Orin would take more than logic – she would rely on instinct, and what she believed was a profound connection to her husband.

~L&C~

AC was fading… he wasn’t sure how long he could stay conscious. He felt delusional… dreaming of the ocean, of Mira…
For the last hour, he had been staring at a fire hose across the room. He wondered why he hadn’t noticed it earlier, and feared it was part of his delusion… If he could somehow reach that hose and turn it on…

His back burned from the radiating heat; he felt his skin practically peeling off his body. His whole body craved just one cool splash of restorative water.

AC’s vision was becoming fuzzy… The room was spinning and he was truly dreaming now… Was that Mira?

His lips formed the word of her name, but his voice was too dry to speak. She approached him, shock in her eyes. Mira seemed to dart around the room, moving quickly, like some water sprite, though AC wasn’t sure what she was doing.

Then suddenly, a cold blast of water hit him square in the chest. It felt glorious, like being reborn. AC let out a primal groan of relief, the water healing him, and giving him strength once more. With a grunt he broke the shackles that had held him to that torturous wall, standing for another moment in the spray of the water hose that Mira shot at him, a grin on her face.

After a moment, she turned off the hose and then took a few steps towards AC, reaching out to give him a hug. “We have to go… I don’t know if I was spotted.”

AC took her hand, and they began retracing her steps.

“The water is on this level… We just have to get through a few doors…” she said, leading the way.

They heard footsteps down a hall around the corner, and stepped into an alcove in front of a door, mainly hidden in shadows.

“…taking him?” said a voice.

“To Fort Abrams… General Wilson can run more tests there,” came the answer, walking swiftly past the hallway where AC and Mira stood.

They waited until the footsteps died away, and then took off running down the opposite hallway. In mere moments, they were diving into water and heading back to Watchtower.

~L&C~

Lois and Chloe were sitting in front of Watchtower’s computer, monitoring the facility where Clark was being held.

“This is ridiculous… we should be up there, trying to break him out,” Lois said irritably. “Here I am sipping a latte while my fiancé is likely being tortured!” Lois set her offending mug angrily down on the console, feeling helpless once more.

Chloe sighed. “Look, we’ve got to solve one problem at a time… We may have to go back anyway—AC is still in there.”

“Not anymore,” AC said with impeccable timing, stepping into Watchtower.

“How did you get free from lil’ Gitmo?” Chloe asked.

“I had help,” AC said, stepping to the side to introduce his wife. “This is Mira, my wife – and my rescuer.”

Mira smiled up at AC. “We look after each other.”

Lois stepped forward, looking decidedly angry that it was AC standing there and not Clark. “Nice to meet you, too,” Lois said flatly, in a rush, pushing on to more important matters. “Did you see Clark at all? Did you even try to find him?”

“We didn’t have time. We had to get out of there as soon as Mira found me.”

Lois crossed her arms, seething. “He would never leave you like that, AC. You know that.”

AC nodded, looking contrite. “I know you’re upset Lois, but—“

“No buts, okay? My fiancé is trapped in some cage of torture, and you two just want to make moony eyes at each other!”

Chloe put her hand on her cousin’s shoulder, trying to calm Lois. “Let AC speak. He may know something.”

AC dipped his head in a short ‘thank you.’ “We may not have been able to rescue Boy Scout, but I think I know where they’re taking him.”

“Where?” Lois asked pointedly, her hand gripping a nearby chair, revealing how tense she really was.

“Fort Abrams. We heard some guys talking about it before we dived out of there.”

“Fort Abrams?” Lois breathed, sounding almost hopeful. “I know that place like the back of my hand…” She glanced at the computer screen where they were keeping tabs on any movement up in Alaska. “All we need to do is wait until they make their move. If they take Clark to Fort Abrams, we’ll have him out of there in no time…”

--

What do you think? Let's talk it out over here! wave

Last edited by mozartmaid; 05/30/14 04:51 AM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink