Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#254684 05/25/14 12:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Posting a little earlier than normal, because my Friday part is probably going to hit the boards sometime on Thursday.

[Linked Image]

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
At long last, however, Lois was free to go. As fast as she could, and despite the doctor's orders to take it easy, she'd rushed through Metropolis General, making a beeline for Clark's room. She arrived somewhat breathless and paused outside of his room, catching her breath.

It sure is hard to move fast these days, she mused, rubbing her nearly seven months pregnant belly.

Then she plunged into Clark's room, only to stop short a second or two after she entered. Everything was exactly where she'd left things. Except for Clark.

Clark was missing.

It seems as though Sam and Bernie's box may have just expanded...

Either that or Wells has shown up.

Nice chapter DC, you do love cliffhangers don't you smirk.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/25/14 01:27 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What? No! You can't end there! wildguy

I can't see any positive reason for him to be missing; any miracle cure that Sam or Bernie had come up with could have waited until they had discussed it with Lois first.

Please post the next part super-soon. Please? grovel

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.

I can't see any positive reason for him to be missing; any miracle cure that Sam or Bernie had come up with could have waited until they had discussed it with Lois first.

Joy,
Lynn

Lynn, in my view one of few things are possible:

1. They did not have time (Lois was detained at MetGen's Maternity ward)

2. It was potentially hazardous for one or both of them (after all DC says someone is going to die) and they did not want Lois to have to make that decision especially with her pregnancy being negatively impacted by the stress already.
3. Something else that DC has come up with shock

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
At long last, however, Lois was free to go. As fast as she could, and despite the doctor's orders to take it easy, she'd rushed through Metropolis General, making a beeline for Clark's room. She arrived somewhat breathless and paused outside of his room, catching her breath.

It sure is hard to move fast these days, she mused, rubbing her nearly seven months pregnant belly.

Then she plunged into Clark's room, only to stop short a second or two after she entered. Everything was exactly where she'd left things. Except for Clark.

Clark was missing.

It seems as though Sam and Bernie's box may have just expanded...

Either that or Wells has shown up.

Nice chapter DC, you do love cliffhangers don't you smirk.

Mike

Cliffies are my favorite. devil Thanks! Sam and Bernie's box may have expanded, or it may have just become the pine kind. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Joy,
Lynn

rotflol Sorry! What kind of evil writer would I be if I didn't leave it where I did? wink There was a definite reason why things were not discussed with Lois before Clark vanished, I can assure you that.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Joy,
Lynn

Lynn, in my view one of few things are possible:

1. They did not have time (Lois was detained at MetGen's Maternity ward)

2. It was potentially hazardous for one or both of them (after all DC says someone is going to die) and they did not want Lois to have to make that decision especially with her pregnancy being negatively impacted by the stress already.
3. Something else that DC has come up with shock

Mike

whistle

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Or perhaps the person who won't make it is Sam. He's not exactly a spring chicken, and he has been putting in a lot of grueling hours in a high-stress situation.

But if that's the case, I'm still not sure why Clark's room is empty. Mike, I had considered two of your options before you posted, and had explicitly (but perhaps erroneously -- only DC and her betas know) discounted your first option. Clark's condition had apparently remained unchanged for weeks. The odds that it would suddenly deteriorate at just the time when Sam and Bernie found a cure and Lois was temporarily unavailable seem to me to be astronomically slim. The third option is always on the table.

I hadn't thought about your second option, but both of the men know Lois and know that even under these unusual circumstances, she would not be happy to have her husband's fate determined without her input, even in such a difficult situation. I'm not sure what procedure would endanger either of the doctors. If Clark were human, some sort of transplant or extreme blood transfusion might do so, but any such procedure would be precluded by Clark's alien physiology.

Then again, I'll admit that my own reading of this part of the story is not at all objective; it hits far too close to home for me. I found out that my Dad had died of cancer by his empty bed. I lived several hours away from my parents at the time, and when I had left my home, he had been alive, but barely. As soon as I arrived at my parents' house, I didn't even take the time to seek out my other relatives; I had had such a sense of urgency that I immediately rushed into the room where I had expected him to be and encountered my parents' empty -- and made -- bed. The bed, coupled with the expressions on my mother and sister, who met me as I was digesting what I had seen of the bedroom, told me without a word spoken that my Dad had passed.

I'll admit that the story part's ending sucker-punched me and is definitely coloring my interpretation of what might be happening. I really hope my interpretation is proven wrong.

Is it Thursday yet?

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn,

I agree about Sam. He was my pick several chapters ago. But I suspect we have a number of misdirections to go through first : mad.

Of course there is always option three and DC could always get rid of the annoying Ellen. I have always been amazed why more authors do not kill Ellen off in these stories. Sam makes the most sense to me because he feels like he let Lois down when she was young and this might be his opportunity to make it up to her.

Like I have said before, Clark is so obvious that I am pretty sure he is safe.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Mike, I hope you're right, and that DC doesn't pull a double-twist and go for the obvious since she might expect everyone to expect a single twist and therefore overlook the obvious -- a la "The Purloined Letter". (This conversation is beginning to feel to me like a scene from "The Princess Bride.")

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn,

That is why there is always option 3. You can't trust DC after all...

She did say in Part 4 FDK, that while there will be unpleasantness that she hoped we found the ending to be satisfying. So I am kind of holding her to that one...

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/25/14 05:44 PM.

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I like the ending. goofy I can't wait for the next part. smile

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Or perhaps the person who won't make it is Sam. He's not exactly a spring chicken, and he has been putting in a lot of grueling hours in a high-stress situation.

But if that's the case, I'm still not sure why Clark's room is empty. Mike, I had considered two of your options before you posted, and had explicitly (but perhaps erroneously -- only DC and her betas know) discounted your first option. Clark's condition had apparently remained unchanged for weeks. The odds that it would suddenly deteriorate at just the time when Sam and Bernie found a cure and Lois was temporarily unavailable seem to me to be astronomically slim. The third option is always on the table.

I hadn't thought about your second option, but both of the men know Lois and know that even under these unusual circumstances, she would not be happy to have her husband's fate determined without her input, even in such a difficult situation. I'm not sure what procedure would endanger either of the doctors. If Clark were human, some sort of transplant or extreme blood transfusion might do so, but any such procedure would be precluded by Clark's alien physiology.

Then again, I'll admit that my own reading of this part of the story is not at all objective; it hits far too close to home for me. I found out that my Dad had died of cancer by his empty bed. I lived several hours away from my parents at the time, and when I had left my home, he had been alive, but barely. As soon as I arrived at my parents' house, I didn't even take the time to seek out my other relatives; I had had such a sense of urgency that I immediately rushed into the room where I had expected him to be and encountered my parents' empty -- and made -- bed. The bed, coupled with the expressions on my mother and sister, who met me as I was digesting what I had seen of the bedroom, told me without a word spoken that my Dad had passed.

I'll admit that the story part's ending sucker-punched me and is definitely coloring my interpretation of what might be happening. I really hope my interpretation is proven wrong.

Is it Thursday yet?

Joy,
Lynn

Wow, Lynn, so sorry that my part brings up such a difficult memory for you. frown

So, we've had bets on Sam, Clark, the baby, a clone...this is fun!

[Linked Image]

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn,

I agree about Sam. He was my pick several chapters ago. But I suspect we have a number of misdirections to go through first : mad.

Of course there is always option three and DC could always get rid of the annoying Ellen. I have always been amazed why more authors do not kill Ellen off in these stories. Sam makes the most sense to me because he feels like he let Lois down when she was young and this might be his opportunity to make it up to her.

Like I have said before, Clark is so obvious that I am pretty sure he is safe.

Mike

Is that an official bet on Ellen?

You'll find out in the next chapter who I've killed. And yes, they are dead at the time Lois walks into Clark's empty room. grin

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn,

That is why there is always option 3. You can't trust DC after all...

She did say in Part 4 FDK, that while there will be unpleasantness that she hoped we found the ending to be satisfying. So I am kind of holding her to that one...

Mike

rotflol clap party

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lady Loisette
I like the ending. goofy I can't wait for the next part. smile

laugh Thanks! More soon!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

You'll find out in the next chapter who I've killed. And yes, they are dead at the time Lois walks into Clark's empty room. grin

Nah, my bet is still on Sam as he is much more likely to be heroic for the sake of his daughter's future than Ellen. I was just pondering why so few authors kill of the annoying Ellen...

By my timetable there should be a part out today (at least it is after midnight the 26th where I am).

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/26/14 01:52 AM.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Mike, I hope you're right, but based on what DC wrote in the opening post of this thread, I think part seven was the one that would normally have dropped today and that the next part will be coming out on Thursday.

DC, no apologies necessary. You didn't know about my Dad, and I knew that this was a WHAMmy story going into it; I just hadn't realized how close to home it would be for me. Of course, if you want to make it up to me, you could always post part eight today. wink (Hey, a girl can try, can't she? wink )

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram

Nah, my bet is still on Sam as he is much more likely to be heroic for the sake of his daughter's future than Ellen. I was just pondering why so few authors kill of the annoying Ellen...

By my timetable there should be a part out today (at least it is after midnight the 26th where I am).

Mike

rotflol Okay. I was just checking. Still, I mark off one vote for Ellen, just for fun.

New part Thursday. I posted this one post-midnight (my time) so that counted as the weekend installment. I might post it post-midnight Wednesday, depending on how things go. I won't be able to do Friday, in all likelihood (I'll be out of state visiting family), so you'll get it a little earlier.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mike, I hope you're right, but based on what DC wrote in the opening post of this thread, I think part seven was the one that would normally have dropped today and that the next part will be coming out on Thursday.

DC, no apologies necessary. You didn't know about my Dad, and I knew that this was a WHAMmy story going into it; I just hadn't realized how close to home it would be for me. Of course, if you want to make it up to me, you could always post part eight today. wink (Hey, a girl can try, can't she? wink )

Joy,
Lynn

Still, sending big hugs! New part late Wed/sometime on Thurs is what I'm shooting for, since I'll be busy with family on the weekend.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard